Does BizTalk include MSMQ?

Post by Ron Rud » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 21:57:20

Is MSMQ available in BizTalk Enterprise Edition?  If so, is the same
point-to-point, publish/subscribe, and request/reply support available in
MSMQ as in JMS?  What I need to do is have certain interfaces with BizTalk
support a request/reply type call, and I'd like to do it through MSMQ if I
can.

I'm very familiar with JMS but not at all with MSMQ.

-Ron

Does BizTalk include MSMQ?

Post by Russ Larrive » Thu, 24 Oct 2002 00:32:12

MSMQ comes with the OS not with Biztalk.

For NT 4.0 and Windows 2000, you must explicitly install
it. (I don't know about XP) NT 4.0 uses MSMQ V1, Windows
2000 uses MSMQ V2, and XP uses MSMQ V3. (At least I think
that's how it goes.) In any event you shouldn't need to
purchase or license any additional software.

regards,

Russ

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Is MSMQ available in BizTalk Enterprise Edition?  If so,
is the same
>point-to-point, publish/subscribe, and request/reply

support available in
Quote:>MSMQ as in JMS?  What I need to do is have certain

interfaces with BizTalk
Quote:>support a request/reply type call, and I'd like to do it
through MSMQ if I
>can.

>I'm very familiar with JMS but not at all with MSMQ.

>-Ron

>.

Does BizTalk include MSMQ?

Post by Scott McMani » Thu, 24 Oct 2002 01:07:41

MSMQ is an install option of the operating system. MSMQ is
not part of the BizTalk product set.

BTS supports receive functions and messaging ports tha
tread and write from MSMQ.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Is MSMQ available in BizTalk Enterprise Edition?  If so,
is the same
>point-to-point, publish/subscribe, and request/reply

support available in
Quote:>MSMQ as in JMS?  What I need to do is have certain

interfaces with BizTalk
Quote:>support a request/reply type call, and I'd like to do it
through MSMQ if I
>can.

>I'm very familiar with JMS but not at all with MSMQ.

>-Ron

>.

Does BizTalk include MSMQ?

Post by Ron Rud » Thu, 24 Oct 2002 01:00:16

Thanks, that helps a lot.  I do have one question so it's clear in my mind:
Is MSMQ is an implemention, not just a standard (as JMS is)?  By that I mean
MSMQ V2 or V3 is a fully functional message queuing system, with no need for
a vendor to provide an implementation?

Thanks again for your help..

-Ron

Quote:> MSMQ comes with the OS not with Biztalk.

> For NT 4.0 and Windows 2000, you must explicitly install
> it. (I don't know about XP) NT 4.0 uses MSMQ V1, Windows
> 2000 uses MSMQ V2, and XP uses MSMQ V3. (At least I think
> that's how it goes.) In any event you shouldn't need to
> purchase or license any additional software.

> regards,

> Russ

Does BizTalk include MSMQ?

Post by Trace Youn » Thu, 24 Oct 2002 03:34:13

MSMQ is in fact a fully functional message queueing system.

Thanks,

Trace

--------------------

Thanks, that helps a lot.  I do have one question so it's clear in my mind:
Is MSMQ is an implemention, not just a standard (as JMS is)?  By that I mean
MSMQ V2 or V3 is a fully functional message queuing system, with no need for
a vendor to provide an implementation?

Thanks again for your help..

-Ron

Quote:> MSMQ comes with the OS not with Biztalk.

> For NT 4.0 and Windows 2000, you must explicitly install
> it. (I don't know about XP) NT 4.0 uses MSMQ V1, Windows
> 2000 uses MSMQ V2, and XP uses MSMQ V3. (At least I think
> that's how it goes.) In any event you shouldn't need to
> purchase or license any additional software.

> regards,

> Russ

1. Newbie BizTalk Question - Can this be done with BizTalk

Hi all,

I've looked at the docs for BizTalk and before I spend too much time, I
wanted to get a feel if the following scenario can be handled with BizTalk.

A variety of record keepers would transmit their data to us, sometimes in
batch, sometimes on demand as a result of our request. The sending format
will vary among the keepers, some sending flat file, some XML or other
format. We would need to take the returned data and insert/update/delete it
into our legacy FoxPro and SQL 2000 databases, depending on certain criteria
(does the record already exist in our system, etc.). BizTalk would have to
notify people who were the on demand requester, that data has been
successfully gathered, processed and is waiting for them. The typical
example for this is: a user is on the phone with a client, and gets the
client's ID number and PIN. The ID/PIN is entered into an application, which
async shipsto BizTalk, who forwards it to the record keeper. BizTalk would
then receive the response or time out waiting for a reply, then take the
received data, parse it and place it in the database, then notify the app
that the info was/was not back.

On our side, we would need to send data in a variety of formats to the
record keepers. We would need to schedule some of the transmissions, others
would be done immediately. Again, the data to be sent would come out of our
legacy systems.

If this can be done with BizTalk, would we need to implement other code
somewhere (COM objects, etc.) to get data in/out, or does BizTalk take care
of that out of the box? I've seen examples of mapping, but I don't know what
that allows you to accomplish. I am familiar with coding with Message
Queues, and we could place the data to come in/out in a message in a queue
if necessary.

How much time would be saved by implementing BizTalk in this scenario? If I
have to create a bunch of auxiliary code to interact with BizTalk, is it
really worth it?

Thanks for helping me out!

--
Robert Heckart

2. myisamchk bug ?

3. excel -97 can't open excel -95 files if they include (or have included) macros

4. YOU, EGG-YOLKS!!!

5. SQL Server Query Results --> MSMQ --> Biztalk

6. WTB: Simon the Sorceror for CD32!

7. Biztalk MSMQ Msg Port : strange xml formatting in queue message

8. First Long Distance Call

9. DTS - SQL to BizTalk via MSMQ?

10. biztalk msmq send to remote private queue with asp.net

11. Does BizTalk respect MSMQ message sequence (does it use FIFO principles)?

12. BizTalk - Receive Multiple Message Formats from a Single MSMQ

13. stored procedure > xml > msmq > biztalk