memory stick

Post by boyd, roun » Sun, 25 May 2003 01:53:35

i have some mad plan to put the nvram on it for my cpu/auth/fs/etc server.

any suggestions/objections?

memory stick

Post by Russ C » Sun, 25 May 2003 01:57:23

put the whole disk on it.

memory stick

Post by boyd, rouni » Wed, 28 May 2003 18:22:02

Quote:> put the whole disk on it.

well they only had 128Mb, so i just had to buy that one :)

not exactly an RL-02 ...

memory stick

Post by boyd, roun » Thu, 29 May 2003 19:48:29

Quote:> put the whole disk on it.

i just put the whole [non tex] dist on it and have it booted [from disk]
on my 600 series VAIO.  needs a big of tinkering, but booting
_straight_ off the memory stick on a randomly chosen machine
would be a _cool thing_;  walk up to machine, jam in memory
stick and boot plan 9 :)

memory stick

Post by ron minni » Thu, 29 May 2003 23:25:26

> i just put the whole [non tex] dist on it and have it booted [from disk]
> on my 600 series VAIO.  needs a big of tinkering, but booting
> _straight_ off the memory stick on a randomly chosen machine
> would be a _cool thing_;  walk up to machine, jam in memory
> stick and boot plan 9 :)

ya. very cool. we're doing similar with the CF stuff.

Hey, I found out what happens when you mess up the CMOS NVRAM with bad
keys etc. You have to zero CMOS, and then to make it a CPU again you have
to have good keys. No other option. That's good.

ron

memory stick

Post by Andr » Fri, 30 May 2003 02:10:22

> i just put the whole [non tex] dist on it and have it booted [from disk]
> on my 600 series VAIO.  needs a big of tinkering, but booting
> _straight_ off the memory stick on a randomly chosen machine
> would be a _cool thing_;  walk up to machine, jam in memory
> stick and boot plan 9 :)

I do something similiar with bootable floppy disks, just stick one in
and assuming its on the network and has supported hardware off it goes.

memory stick

Post by Jason Gur » Fri, 30 May 2003 02:26:39

> I do something similiar with bootable floppy disks, just stick one in
> and assuming its on the network and has supported hardware off it goes.

This reminds me that I've seen floppy disk adapters that hold a
CF/SD/MM/Mem stick cards.

Might be usefull for machines that have no card reader attached or
helping that legendary floppy reliablity that I've come to love so much.

Cheers,

~Jason

--

memory stick

Post by boyd, roun » Fri, 30 May 2003 05:03:26

Quote:> ya. very cool. we're doing similar with the CF stuff.

gimme a few secs ad i'll see what i can come up with :)

memory stick

Post by boyd, roun » Fri, 30 May 2003 05:06:34

Quote:> I do something similiar with bootable floppy disks, just stick one in
> and assuming its on the network and has supported hardware off it goes.

did that with 2nd ed, but i'm not gonna wait that long -- sheesh ...

gawd, we'd be better off keying the in the boot loader with the 11/70's
front panel ...

memory stick

Post by ron minni » Fri, 30 May 2003 05:20:28

> gawd, we'd be better off keying the in the boot loader with the 11/70's
> front panel ...

I've got an 11/50 panel here in the office if you can tell me the
sequence.

ron

memory stick

Post by boyd, roun » Fri, 30 May 2003 05:24:26

i can remember that on the console of an 11/34 it was:

   173000g<return>

memory stick

Post by Andr » Fri, 30 May 2003 06:14:39

> > I do something similiar with bootable floppy disks, just stick one in
> > and assuming its on the network and has supported hardware off it goes.

> did that with 2nd ed, but i'm not gonna wait that long -- sheesh ...

> gawd, we'd be better off keying the in the boot loader with the 11/70's
> front panel ...

id like to see you key in the boot loader in under 30 seconds.
with compressed kernels it really isnt that bad, and when you lack
hard drives to boot from you dont have much coice.

memory stick

Post by boyd, roun » Fri, 30 May 2003 06:20:28

Quote:> with compressed kernels it really isnt that bad

if you need to compress the kernel, your kernel is _way_ too big.

kernel = small, no?

memory stick

Post by Andr » Fri, 30 May 2003 06:27:36

i keep them small, as small as I can manage, but they load off a floppy
faster when they are compressed since I can decompress faster than i
can transfer from a floppy.

The only kernel that I actually need to compress is the klunky fossil
kernel which needs to have rc and all sorts of other things built
in. Soon though I will make it boot into kfs instead of something (now
that I have many small hard drives) and that process will be unnecesary.

> > with compressed kernels it really isnt that bad

> if you need to compress the kernel, your kernel is _way_ too big.

> kernel = small, no?

memory stick

Post by boyd, roun » Fri, 30 May 2003 06:33:29

i love floppies, let's all revert to the 8" ones (iirc)

1. memory stick and playstation's memory card?

hello.
can some one tell me?
where i can find document of memory stick and playstation's memory card?
do not tell me is sony site!

                            thank you
                            nukoon

2. ANN: .NET XSLT command line utility, version 1.1

3. memory sticks

4. OPNQRYF using date fields

5. XBL retail kit comes with memory stick!?

6. SGI STL

7. Sony Memory Sticks

8. Windows XP Repair Connection Internals

9. cpu/mb temps or a bad memory stick?

10. Left in Lurch by Memory Stick...HELP

11. sony mp3 players/memory stick/ATRAC3

12. Compact Flash / Memory Stick / Smart Media etc.

13. What happens if I use 2 x 512MB memory sticks?