Which is best Win 98, Win ME, Win 2k or XP

Which is best Win 98, Win ME, Win 2k or XP

Post by FEMI » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 02:01:54

Dear all,

I have just ordered a note book with windows ME installed. What would I be
missing without the latest OS.  I am not too Keen on games, just running CAD
programms and communications.

Pls let me know what I am missing.

Which is best Win 98, Win ME, Win 2k or XP

Post by Tim Steel » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 02:10:39

If you go to www.microsoft.co.uk you can get a free XP Pro CD which runs for
120 days.

You can get this, try it, and if it doesn't work for you there is an
uninstaller which will revert your m/c to Me.

Tim

Quote:> Dear all,

> I have just ordered a note book with windows ME installed. What would I be
> missing without the latest OS.  I am not too Keen on games, just running
CAD
> programms and communications.

> Pls let me know what I am missing.

Which is best Win 98, Win ME, Win 2k or XP

Post by NoRemors » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 15:12:33

I would recommend staying away from 98 and ME. Windows 2000 and XP are fully
32bit OS'es and offer superior multitasking and memory management. For CAD,
Windows 2000 and XP would be optimal. At the moment, I am primarily using
Windows 2000 Professional SP2 on two computers (both built by me). Compared
to my experience with Windows 95 and 98, my computer practically never
crashes. (There are occasional problems with specific applications and
games, but I'm inclined to believe that they are badly programmed.) I
haven't had much experience with Windows XP. Many of my friends say good
things about it - nice interface, stable.

The choice of the best OS depends on the specs of your notebook. If your
processor clock is below 400Mhz, stay away from 2000 and XP. 2000 will work
fine from 400 MHz and up. I can't say what a realistic minimum for XP would
be.

Hope this helps.

Quote:> Dear all,

> I have just ordered a note book with windows ME installed. What would I be
> missing without the latest OS.  I am not too Keen on games, just running
CAD
> programms and communications.

> Pls let me know what I am missing.

Which is best Win 98, Win ME, Win 2k or XP

Post by PG » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 19:41:10

I am running Win2k Pro even on my Celeron 333 Lifebook, specs:
http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/rl/servicesupport/techsupport/Lifebo...
ies/C4-5-6x10.html

Make sure u have at least 128MB RAM, I have 160MB.

U could install some memory/disk_cache tweaking software like Cacheman or a
general tweaker like X-Setup to optimise performance. Also put your paging
file (pagefile.sys) on a separate partition, and set the paging size just a
bit lower than the partition. This way yr paging file won't get fragmented.
Deframgment every few weeks with a program like PerfectDisk.

Only problem I have with Win2k is

i) takes some time to learn how to administer it
ii) take longer than Win9x/ME to boot up , but u'll have less crashes and
will need to boot less often (unless u install/uninstall programs a lot).

I heard Win98 SE is the best in the 9X/Me family, but I have no plans to
downgrade!!

--
rgds,
Pravin Goswami

> I would recommend staying away from 98 and ME. Windows 2000 and XP are
fully
> 32bit OS'es and offer superior multitasking and memory management. For
CAD,
> Windows 2000 and XP would be optimal. At the moment, I am primarily using
> Windows 2000 Professional SP2 on two computers (both built by me).
Compared
> to my experience with Windows 95 and 98, my computer practically never
> crashes. (There are occasional problems with specific applications and
> games, but I'm inclined to believe that they are badly programmed.) I
> haven't had much experience with Windows XP. Many of my friends say good
> things about it - nice interface, stable.

> The choice of the best OS depends on the specs of your notebook. If your
> processor clock is below 400Mhz, stay away from 2000 and XP. 2000 will
work
> fine from 400 MHz and up. I can't say what a realistic minimum for XP
would
> be.

> Hope this helps.

> > Dear all,

> > I have just ordered a note book with windows ME installed. What would I
be
> > missing without the latest OS.  I am not too Keen on games, just running
> CAD
> > programms and communications.

> > Pls let me know what I am missing.

Which is best Win 98, Win ME, Win 2k or XP

Post by MH » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 23:50:19

You generally wouldn't run CAD on 95/98/ME unless you were a masicist.  2000
would probably be the best bet, XP taking the back seat for now but in the
future XP would be the way to go aftert the service pack(a month or two away
I think) sooo...that being the latest and greatest OS XP is the best bet.
XP is based on 2000, with a new interface, and some other little this and
that's.

your best bet of course would be to check with Autodesk or whomever and look
at the system requirements :)  But XP is still the best bet.  Saves you from
having to buy it a few months from now if you can deal with the possibility
of a crash here and there for now.  3ds max runs quite nicely so far under
it.

Matt

Quote:> Dear all,

> I have just ordered a note book with windows ME installed. What would I be
> missing without the latest OS.  I am not too Keen on games, just running
CAD
> programms and communications.

> Pls let me know what I am missing.

Which is best Win 98, Win ME, Win 2k or XP

Post by NoRemors » Mon, 08 Apr 2002 06:27:40

Quote:

> I am running Win2k Pro even on my Celeron 333 Lifebook, specs:

http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/rl/servicesupport/techsupport/Lifebo...
Quote:> ies/C4-5-6x10.html

> Make sure u have at least 128MB RAM, I have 160MB.

I stand corrected.

Quote:

> U could install some memory/disk_cache tweaking software like Cacheman or
> general tweaker like X-Setup to optimise performance. Also put your paging
> file (pagefile.sys) on a separate partition, and set the paging size just
> bit lower than the partition. This way yr paging file won't get
fragmented.
> Deframgment every few weeks with a program like PerfectDisk.

> Only problem I have with Win2k is

> i) takes some time to learn how to administer it

But when you do, you'll have greater control over the system.

Quote:> ii) take longer than Win9x/ME to boot up , but u'll have less crashes and
> will need to boot less often (unless u install/uninstall programs a lot).

> I heard Win98 SE is the best in the 9X/Me family, but I have no plans to
> downgrade!!

I heard the same things about ME.

> --
> rgds,
> Pravin Goswami

> > I would recommend staying away from 98 and ME. Windows 2000 and XP are
> fully
> > 32bit OS'es and offer superior multitasking and memory management. For
> CAD,
> > Windows 2000 and XP would be optimal. At the moment, I am primarily
using
> > Windows 2000 Professional SP2 on two computers (both built by me).
> Compared
> > to my experience with Windows 95 and 98, my computer practically never
> > crashes. (There are occasional problems with specific applications and
> > games, but I'm inclined to believe that they are badly programmed.) I
> > haven't had much experience with Windows XP. Many of my friends say good
> > things about it - nice interface, stable.

> > The choice of the best OS depends on the specs of your notebook. If your
> > processor clock is below 400Mhz, stay away from 2000 and XP. 2000 will
> work
> > fine from 400 MHz and up. I can't say what a realistic minimum for XP
> would
> > be.

> > Hope this helps.

> > > Dear all,

> > > I have just ordered a note book with windows ME installed. What would
> be
> > > missing without the latest OS.  I am not too Keen on games, just
running
> > CAD
> > > programms and communications.

> > > Pls let me know what I am missing.

Which is best Win 98, Win ME, Win 2k or XP

Post by Cyrus Afzal » Mon, 08 Apr 2002 13:03:16

Quote:>Dear all,

>I have just ordered a note book with windows ME installed. What would I be
>missing without the latest OS.  I am not too Keen on games, just running CAD
>programms and communications.

>Pls let me know what I am missing.

Windows XP -- no question. I just bought a new XP laptop and have
friends who have bought new systems with ME and 98SE within the past
year. There's no question that XP is the most stable and robust of the
three. ME is just a piece of junk, IMO.

I think you'll tremendously enjoy having a user-friendly OS that is
also stable as XP is built on the NT kernel. If my computer was a
desktop, I'd be able to run it continually without having to regularly
reboot.

XP also makes things like setting up broadband connections a snap. I'm
very happy with it, so far.

Post by Mike » Mon, 08 Apr 2002 22:58:22

> >Dear all,

> >I have just ordered a note book with windows ME installed. What would I
be
> >missing without the latest OS.  I am not too Keen on games, just running
CAD
> >programms and communications.

> >Pls let me know what I am missing.

Use XP. It's built on the NT kernel therefore is very stable. It has also
has the best user interface of any version of Windows I have ever used once
you get used to it. Other things such as setting up network connections are
also much easier . It integrates with Office XP very well.

I'm running it on a IBM Thinkpad 770E (266MHz PII) with 288MB RAM. Runs
perfectly, far better than 95, 98, ME or 2K ever ran on this machine..

There is also the fact that IME Windows ME is a buggy heap of shit. I've had
nothing but hassle with it on all of the 5 machines I could be arsed to
install it on. I had an AMD K6-2 powered machine that it would just NOT
install on.

HTH

MIke

Which is best Win 98, Win ME, Win 2k or XP

Post by RG » Mon, 08 Apr 2002 23:41:31

I'd say Windows 2000 (or windowsXP pro) up to you - but believe me, NT based
OSes are far superior to the 9x/Me series.

Quote:> Dear all,

Post by Paul D F » Tue, 09 Apr 2002 01:58:54

> Dear all,

> I have just ordered a note book with windows ME installed. What would I be
> missing without the latest OS.  I am not too Keen on games, just running CAD
> programms and communications.

> Pls let me know what I am missing.

Reliability.

Which is best Win 98, Win ME, Win 2k or XP

Post by H. Dziardzi » Tue, 09 Apr 2002 07:30:12

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002 17:01:54 +0000 (UTC), "FEMI"

>Dear all,

>I have just ordered a note book with windows ME installed. What would I be
>missing without the latest OS.  I am not too Keen on games, just running CAD
>programms and communications.

>Pls let me know what I am missing.

About US$100

Which is best Win 98, Win ME, Win 2k or XP

Post by Ra » Sun, 14 Apr 2002 04:18:56

Dear FEMI,

To answer your question, I don't think that I would buy an OS upgrade
for your laptop, unless you had something specific you needed it for.

But if you just bought a top-of-the-line notebook, I'd consider it,
because you will have this for around 3 years or more, and you'll like
the stability and new features.

You would be better off (in my opinion) to save the $100 and hold it
for a couple years, then you can get a better computer then, or you
get it sooner.

What you're missing? An awesome GUI (graphical user interface) with
Win XP, superior networking options with Win 2k, lots of re-boots with
Win 98 and ME.

I hope this helps

> Dear all,

> I have just ordered a note book with windows ME installed. What would I be
> missing without the latest OS.  I am not too Keen on games, just running CAD
> programms and communications.

> Pls let me know what I am missing.

Which is best Win 98, Win ME, Win 2k or XP

Post by Henry Frankli » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 06:34:08

I have upgraded both OS and Office to XP recently, and this is what I
would recommend. Office XP is fantastic, and it works extremely well on
Win XP. I like my computer better than ever now.

My 2 cents,
Henry (post only - not my real email address, mail will bounce)

> Dear FEMI,

> To answer your question, I don't think that I would buy an OS upgrade
> for your laptop, unless you had something specific you needed it for.

> But if you just bought a top-of-the-line notebook, I'd consider it,
> because you will have this for around 3 years or more, and you'll like
> the stability and new features.

> You would be better off (in my opinion) to save the $100 and hold it
> for a couple years, then you can get a better computer then, or you
> get it sooner.

> What you're missing? An awesome GUI (graphical user interface) with
> Win XP, superior networking options with Win 2k, lots of re-boots with
> Win 98 and ME.

> I hope this helps

> > Dear all,

> > I have just ordered a note book with windows ME installed. What would I be
> > missing without the latest OS.  I am not too Keen on games, just running CAD
> > programms and communications.

> > Pls let me know what I am missing.

Which is best Win 98, Win ME, Win 2k or XP

Post by Joe » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 03:18:28

I 2 luv XP. If you want stability and need Direct X, it's the way 2 go.

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 21:34:08 GMT, Henry Franklin

Post by Johannes H Anderse » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 11:25:35

> I 2 luv XP. If you want stability and need Direct X, it's the way 2 go.

If you run XP, perhaps you can tell me how to remove unwanted start-up
programs. Is there an equivalent to MSCONFIG.EXE?

Johannes