Windows 2K to Windows 98 with no Floppy Drive ????

Windows 2K to Windows 98 with no Floppy Drive ????

Post by Forg » Wed, 27 Jun 2001 22:14:55

Hi, I've got myself in a bit of a pickle, and I'm hoping someone here
can come up with the answer.

I have a Toshiba Tecra 500CDT, it has an exchangeable CDROM/Floppy
Bay, but I don't have the floppy drive unit.

I put windows 2000 on it, to see how well it works, and found it a
little slow, so would like to take it back down to Windows 98. And
thats my problem, I can't boot off a win98 floppy, cos I don't have
the drive. I made a bootable CDrom, but it doesn't seem to check the
CD, the BIOS will boot floppy or hard drive, but not the CD.

I used Partition magic to make a small partition on the hard drive,
but can't find anyway to make it bootable, so I could go into
DOS7/Win98 by editing the boot.ini  ???

Is it possible to edit the boot.ini to make it boot off the CDROM ?

I have a Network card in the Laptop, is it possible to boot off a
networked Floppy drive?

I did borrow a Laptop hard-drive caddy, so that I could format it on
my desktop PC, but the socket on the back of the hard drive does not
match the 'regular' hard drive connector, so didn't fit.

Any more tricks and tips ?

TIA,

Forge.

Windows 2K to Windows 98 with no Floppy Drive ????

Post by Arjen Gerste » Thu, 28 Jun 2001 19:55:07

Have you enabled booting from CD in the BIOS?

Arjen

Quote:> Hi, I've got myself in a bit of a pickle, and I'm hoping someone here
> can come up with the answer.

> I have a Toshiba Tecra 500CDT, it has an exchangeable CDROM/Floppy
> Bay, but I don't have the floppy drive unit.

> I put windows 2000 on it, to see how well it works, and found it a
> little slow, so would like to take it back down to Windows 98. And
> thats my problem, I can't boot off a win98 floppy, cos I don't have
> the drive. I made a bootable CDrom, but it doesn't seem to check the
> CD, the BIOS will boot floppy or hard drive, but not the CD.

> I used Partition magic to make a small partition on the hard drive,
> but can't find anyway to make it bootable, so I could go into
> DOS7/Win98 by editing the boot.ini  ???

> Is it possible to edit the boot.ini to make it boot off the CDROM ?

> I have a Network card in the Laptop, is it possible to boot off a
> networked Floppy drive?

> I did borrow a Laptop hard-drive caddy, so that I could format it on
> my desktop PC, but the socket on the back of the hard drive does not
> match the 'regular' hard drive connector, so didn't fit.

> Any more tricks and tips ?

> TIA,

> Forge.

Windows 2K to Windows 98 with no Floppy Drive ????

Post by Warren Cha » Wed, 04 Jul 2001 14:42:19

You can use an IDE 3.5" to 2.5" adapter to connect the drive  to your
desktop.  I have a web page on how to backup your laptop hard drive onto
CD-Rs.  Within those pages are photos of the adapter and how to connect to
your desktop.  Here is the link:

http://pages.prodigy.net/webvanguy/laptop_backup/Page2.html

Quote:> Hi, I've got myself in a bit of a pickle, and I'm hoping someone here
> can come up with the answer.

> I have a Toshiba Tecra 500CDT, it has an exchangeable CDROM/Floppy
> Bay, but I don't have the floppy drive unit.

> I put windows 2000 on it, to see how well it works, and found it a
> little slow, so would like to take it back down to Windows 98. And
> thats my problem, I can't boot off a win98 floppy, cos I don't have
> the drive. I made a bootable CDrom, but it doesn't seem to check the
> CD, the BIOS will boot floppy or hard drive, but not the CD.

> I used Partition magic to make a small partition on the hard drive,
> but can't find anyway to make it bootable, so I could go into
> DOS7/Win98 by editing the boot.ini  ???

> Is it possible to edit the boot.ini to make it boot off the CDROM ?

> I have a Network card in the Laptop, is it possible to boot off a
> networked Floppy drive?

> I did borrow a Laptop hard-drive caddy, so that I could format it on
> my desktop PC, but the socket on the back of the hard drive does not
> match the 'regular' hard drive connector, so didn't fit.

> Any more tricks and tips ?

> TIA,

> Forge.

1. Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 98 Networking Problems on laptop

To sumarize what the probelem is:  I have just added a laptop that
used to un windows 98 and was fine, now runs windows 2000 and refuses
to see anyone except itself on the network.  The workgroup names all
that stuff has been double and triple checked many times.

Here is the detailed probelm:  I have 5 computers, 3 downstairs, and 2
upstairs (one of those 2 is the laptop).  The 3 downstairs are
connected to the linksys 8 port switch / router.  Then upstairs we
have a 6 port netgear hub connected to the switch downstairs.  We also
share a DSL connection this way.  All 3 downstairs run Windows 98
fine, and the desktop upstairs runs Winsows XP Pro, the laptop used to
run Windows 98 fine, it comunicated wiht everyone and shared
everything.  Now that it has Windows 2000, it does not.  Using some
diagnostics in the router, we figured out that the laptop got an IP
adress.  But it does not allow to be pinged (it does not respond to
the pings)  From reading other groups here, i have figured out that
the cause of many peoples troubles are caused by security
restrictions, restricting the computer from talking to there
computers.  Is this the case wiht me and how can i fix it?  If not,
what is the problem?

The other 4 computers talk to eachother fine, and have not been
affected by this in any way, they have always been using tcp and dhcp
and have been working fine, and still do, its the laptop that i cannot
get to work wiht them now.

2. please help: search database - code attached

3. Windows 2k/98 network problems.

4. ORAOLEDB Trace File - what does it mean ?

5. How to implement a software Network Bridge under both Windows 98 and 2K?

6. VBscript access to LDAP lastlogon property

7. Problem with Compaq Armada 7500 Series + Windows 2000 Professional + Windows 98 SE

8. High post decimal positions

9. Windows 98 SE or Windows ME?

10. I am unble connect from windows 98 to windows 2000 server

11. Bug in Windows Update for Windows 98

12. Windows Protection Error with Windows 98 Second Edition and SAS 8.2

13. Scroll bars on DATAWINDOW in a Shell Window on WINDOWS 98