Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 98 Networking Problems on laptop

Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 98 Networking Problems on laptop

Post by Serg » Mon, 08 Apr 2002 06:31:27

To sumarize what the probelem is:  I have just added a laptop that
used to un windows 98 and was fine, now runs windows 2000 and refuses
to see anyone except itself on the network.  The workgroup names all
that stuff has been double and triple checked many times.

Here is the detailed probelm:  I have 5 computers, 3 downstairs, and 2
upstairs (one of those 2 is the laptop).  The 3 downstairs are
connected to the linksys 8 port switch / router.  Then upstairs we
have a 6 port netgear hub connected to the switch downstairs.  We also
share a DSL connection this way.  All 3 downstairs run Windows 98
fine, and the desktop upstairs runs Winsows XP Pro, the laptop used to
run Windows 98 fine, it comunicated wiht everyone and shared
everything.  Now that it has Windows 2000, it does not.  Using some
diagnostics in the router, we figured out that the laptop got an IP
adress.  But it does not allow to be pinged (it does not respond to
the pings)  From reading other groups here, i have figured out that
the cause of many peoples troubles are caused by security
restrictions, restricting the computer from talking to there
computers.  Is this the case wiht me and how can i fix it?  If not,
what is the problem?

The other 4 computers talk to eachother fine, and have not been
affected by this in any way, they have always been using tcp and dhcp
and have been working fine, and still do, its the laptop that i cannot
get to work wiht them now.

Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 98 Networking Problems on laptop

Post by NoRemors » Mon, 08 Apr 2002 09:20:13

Sometimes using the same user name and password on all systems helps with
file sharing.

> To sumarize what the probelem is:  I have just added a laptop that
> used to un windows 98 and was fine, now runs windows 2000 and refuses
> to see anyone except itself on the network.  The workgroup names all
> that stuff has been double and triple checked many times.

> Here is the detailed probelm:  I have 5 computers, 3 downstairs, and 2
> upstairs (one of those 2 is the laptop).  The 3 downstairs are
> connected to the linksys 8 port switch / router.  Then upstairs we
> have a 6 port netgear hub connected to the switch downstairs.  We also
> share a DSL connection this way.  All 3 downstairs run Windows 98
> fine, and the desktop upstairs runs Winsows XP Pro, the laptop used to
> run Windows 98 fine, it comunicated wiht everyone and shared
> everything.  Now that it has Windows 2000, it does not.  Using some
> diagnostics in the router, we figured out that the laptop got an IP
> adress.  But it does not allow to be pinged (it does not respond to
> the pings)  From reading other groups here, i have figured out that
> the cause of many peoples troubles are caused by security
> restrictions, restricting the computer from talking to there
> computers.  Is this the case wiht me and how can i fix it?  If not,
> what is the problem?

> The other 4 computers talk to eachother fine, and have not been
> affected by this in any way, they have always been using tcp and dhcp
> and have been working fine, and still do, its the laptop that i cannot
> get to work wiht them now.

Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 98 Networking Problems on laptop

Post by Serg » Tue, 09 Apr 2002 07:41:43

That has nothing to do with it.  I have basically figured out whats
wrong, I just cannot think of a solution, this is what I need help
with.

What is wrong is my LinkSys router assigns the laptop an IP, but the
laptop does not take it or completely ignores the DHCP server, then
uses it's autoconfiguration to creat a completely bogus IP address,
thus it only sees iteself on the network, today I tried disabling this
autoconfiguration through the registry as described on one of the
posts I have read here.  It did not help, now it just does not get any
address, and does not even see itself anymore.

> Sometimes using the same user name and password on all systems helps with
> file sharing.

> > To sumarize what the probelem is:  I have just added a laptop that
> > used to un windows 98 and was fine, now runs windows 2000 and refuses
> > to see anyone except itself on the network.  The workgroup names all
> > that stuff has been double and triple checked many times.

> > Here is the detailed probelm:  I have 5 computers, 3 downstairs, and 2
> > upstairs (one of those 2 is the laptop).  The 3 downstairs are
> > connected to the linksys 8 port switch / router.  Then upstairs we
> > have a 6 port netgear hub connected to the switch downstairs.  We also
> > share a DSL connection this way.  All 3 downstairs run Windows 98
> > fine, and the desktop upstairs runs Winsows XP Pro, the laptop used to
> > run Windows 98 fine, it comunicated wiht everyone and shared
> > everything.  Now that it has Windows 2000, it does not.  Using some
> > diagnostics in the router, we figured out that the laptop got an IP
> > adress.  But it does not allow to be pinged (it does not respond to
> > the pings)  From reading other groups here, i have figured out that
> > the cause of many peoples troubles are caused by security
> > restrictions, restricting the computer from talking to there
> > computers.  Is this the case wiht me and how can i fix it?  If not,
> > what is the problem?

> > The other 4 computers talk to eachother fine, and have not been
> > affected by this in any way, they have always been using tcp and dhcp
> > and have been working fine, and still do, its the laptop that i cannot
> > get to work wiht them now.

Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 98 Networking Problems on laptop

Post by Sujit D'Mel » Wed, 10 Apr 2002 14:30:20

Have you tried un-installing and re-installing the NIC card? My friend had
exactly the same problem on Win2k (on a desktop) and for some reason he had to
move the NIC card from one PCI slot to another to get DHCP to work. Since you
have a laptop, you could try uninstalling the card, re-booting, then re-
install. If possible put the card in a different PCMCIA slot.

Sujit

> To sumarize what the probelem is:  I have just added a laptop that
> used to un windows 98 and was fine, now runs windows 2000 and refuses
> to see anyone except itself on the network.  The workgroup names all
> that stuff has been double and triple checked many times.

> Here is the detailed probelm:  I have 5 computers, 3 downstairs, and 2
> upstairs (one of those 2 is the laptop).  The 3 downstairs are
> connected to the linksys 8 port switch / router.  Then upstairs we
> have a 6 port netgear hub connected to the switch downstairs.  We also
> share a DSL connection this way.  All 3 downstairs run Windows 98
> fine, and the desktop upstairs runs Winsows XP Pro, the laptop used to
> run Windows 98 fine, it comunicated wiht everyone and shared
> everything.  Now that it has Windows 2000, it does not.  Using some
> diagnostics in the router, we figured out that the laptop got an IP
> adress.  But it does not allow to be pinged (it does not respond to
> the pings)  From reading other groups here, i have figured out that
> the cause of many peoples troubles are caused by security
> restrictions, restricting the computer from talking to there
> computers.  Is this the case wiht me and how can i fix it?  If not,
> what is the problem?

> The other 4 computers talk to eachother fine, and have not been
> affected by this in any way, they have always been using tcp and dhcp
> and have been working fine, and still do, its the laptop that i cannot
> get to work wiht them now.

Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 98 Networking Problems on laptop

Post by John Edwar » Thu, 02 May 2002 21:49:54

What happens when you assign a static IP address to the laptop?  Since
you only have 5 machines, this would seem to be an easy way to solve
your problem.

Post by kers » Fri, 03 May 2002 09:27:24

> To sumarize what the probelem is:  I have just added a laptop that
> used to un windows 98 and was fine, now runs windows 2000 and refuses
> to see anyone except itself on the network.  The workgroup names all
> that stuff has been double and triple checked many times.

> Here is the detailed probelm:  I have 5 computers, 3 downstairs, and 2
> upstairs (one of those 2 is the laptop).  The 3 downstairs are
> connected to the linksys 8 port switch / router.  Then upstairs we
> have a 6 port netgear hub connected to the switch downstairs.  We also
> share a DSL connection this way.  All 3 downstairs run Windows 98
> fine, and the desktop upstairs runs Winsows XP Pro, the laptop used to
> run Windows 98 fine, it comunicated wiht everyone and shared
> everything.  Now that it has Windows 2000, it does not.  Using some
> diagnostics in the router, we figured out that the laptop got an IP
> adress.  But it does not allow to be pinged (it does not respond to
> the pings)  From reading other groups here, i have figured out that
> the cause of many peoples troubles are caused by security
> restrictions, restricting the computer from talking to there
> computers.  Is this the case wiht me and how can i fix it?  If not,
> what is the problem?

Getting rid of the DHCP auto assigning will be a good start, and
manually giving all your pcs a static ip adress. somthing like
192.168.0.1  - .5 or 10.0.0.1 - 5.

Make sure the last digit of the Subnet mask is a 0 or that all the
computers at least have the same last digit, eg 255.255.255.0

Why not also get rid of the router temporarily and just connecting all
the computers via the 8 port hub and see if it starts working.

Also try setting all the machines to Client for Microsoft Networks
logon, as this setting works best for my network. And make sure the
CAT5 cable you are using isnt stuffed.

Hope it helps.

Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 98 Networking Problems on laptop

Post by Jaso » Sun, 05 May 2002 23:53:30

kersh,

I have had very similar problems on my home network.  I was running 6
machines with win98 until I upgraded one to win2000.  This caused the
very same problems you have spoken of.  In order to fix the problem I
had to look into ntfs pemissions.  This is a very broad topic if you
haven't studied it.  You will find that if you setup your login on the
windows 98 boxes to use Client for microsoft networks and then set the
same password and username on all of them as you have on the windows
2000 box, It will solve your problem.  If security is a problem, you
can setup an account in your 2000 box that will have less access and
then use it on the windows 98 boxes that you are worried about.  This
will allow access to only what you deam neccasary.  I hope this helps
you out.