Myturn.com, Inc. and the Federal Court

Post by Bob B » Wed, 30 May 2001 10:44:28

Well, I had often thought that someone made some fast cash off the whole GPC
adventure. There is no way on the face of this planet that anyone could
really think for a moment that such a device could ever in a million years
sell, even to the great unwashed technophobes.

--
Bob B.
Please reply to the newsgroup.

Quote:> After the Federal Bankruptcy court is finished with the case against

Post by Ray Kopczyns » Wed, 30 May 2001 12:07:42

>Subject: Re: Myturn.com, Inc. and the Federal Court

>There is no way on the face of this planet that anyone could
>really think for a moment that such a device could ever in a million years
>sell, even to the great unwashed technophobes.

Obviously, a LOT of very well-intentioned, hard working folks thought exactly
that...
What was wrong about the proposition and vision of the company?
The "device?" (hardware"'container" - the GlobalPC)
The idea itself? (...technophobes can benefit by an inexpensive simple-to-use
basic computer...)
The marketing of it? (...how do you reach those folks when supposedly
knowledgeable folks denigrate anything that doesn't run a gazillion MHZ and/or
bloated O/S...)

We've hashed this over and over (and will continue to do so), but it's water
under the bridge now -- for MyTurn.com, Inc.

Ray
Ray Kopczynski
Online Customer Support
MyTurn.com, Inc. -- makers of the GlobalPC
http://www.myturninc.com
http://www.myturn.com

Myturn.com, Inc. and the Federal Court

Post by hyubs » Wed, 30 May 2001 17:50:57

and when will the bankruptcy court be finished? ??  after the auction on
thursday??

and i still believe geos has a place..  on the lowest possible cost "pc like"
computing device that could be built, whatever that is.  I always wondered why
myturn never took the computer half of the nokia 9110, eliminate the lcd
display, slap the mini motherboard into a cheap clamshell case (geobrick with no
drives at all.. online storage only), power it with batteries, use a cheap
wireless keyboard and mouse, price it at under $150   ..  could have had
symbiotic economies of scale to drive down component costs for the both nokia
9110 series and the myturn device..

oh well, in a few years maybe someone will take another stab at building a geos
device

Post by Dominique Voca » Wed, 30 May 2001 18:48:39

> and when will the bankruptcy court be finished? ??  after the auction on
> thursday??

> and i still believe geos has a place..  on the lowest possible cost "pc like"
> computing device that could be built, whatever that is.  I always wondered why
> myturn never took the computer half of the nokia 9110, eliminate the lcd
> display, slap the mini motherboard into a cheap clamshell case (geobrick with no
> drives at all.. online storage only), power it with batteries, use a cheap
> wireless keyboard and mouse, price it at under $150   ..  could have had
> symbiotic economies of scale to drive down component costs for the both nokia
> 9110 series and the myturn device..

- do you have a clue as to what a N9110 costs??
- the N9110 is slow, you would not want to use it.
- "much" space is needed when it comes to webbrowsing etc... that costs
a lot, especially if one is to take superexpensive (by comparison)
flashmemory.
- "cheap" + "wireless"? Huh? A inexpensive wireless keyboard + mouse
already uses up 20% of this marvelous 150$ retail price.

- oh and engineering cost to modify the nokia design (which is optimized
first for space and only second for price mind you).

Look, I like that you are so creative et all but let's not forget the
basic rules of how an economy works. Maybe someone here can suggest a
good book on production, resource planing, budgeting and marketing.

Quote:> oh well, in a few years maybe someone will take another stab at building a geos
> device

By the time most folks have a 5GHz box running some unix on NT OS from
their 500BG HDD in their 2GB RAM boxes? I can see that.

Dom
--
Basel ist ROT! http://www.AIBFB.ch/