geos is a really good os

Post by Bob » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 08:05:46

Your most likely right. I bet video editing, sound recording, and dvd/cd
burning is better though.

> its also not a good thing that when i upgraded my duron 950/256MB/40GB
> to an athlon 2000+750MB/120GB, WINDOWS and netscape and msword hardly
> seem to run any faster....BTW

> :>)

> > Even NDO rel 3.2a runs on an 8088. Nothing really changed. As for the
286.
> > 2x runs just fine on a 286. I can barely tell the difference with it on
> > 286 or a 500 MHz. That's not a good thing BTW. :)

geos is a really good os

Date: Tue, Jun 17, 2003 16:06 EDT

Even NDO rel 3.2a runs on an 8088. Nothing really changed. As for the 286.
2x runs just fine on a 286. I can barely tell the difference with it on a
286 or a 500 MHz. That's not a good thing BTW. :)
***

I found 2.0 a bit slow on graphics too on my 286, but definitely useable. Rel 3
actually runs faster than 2.0 on the same 286.

Chip Blank
GUI
GeoGrafix

The GEOS Users International website is at:
http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

geos is a really good os

Date: Tue, Jun 17, 2003 17:00 EDT

no it dosnt have a turbo mode it has 640k of ram and a jumper switch to
choose between 4mhz and 10mzh
god ols system
***

That's turbo mode. You just access it the hard way on your system, apparently.
I just key ctrl/alt/+ or - to go back and forth.

Chip Blank
GUI
GeoGrafix

The GEOS Users International website is at:
http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

geos is a really good os

Post by dosma » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 16:22:36

how come geos is so expensive Breadbox Ensemble  cost $100.00. ?? why would
a person spend that much on an os when they could uy a copy of linux for
under $50.00 or download it

geos is a really good os

Post by Hans Voge » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 16:55:49

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 03:22:36 -0400

> how come geos is so expensive Breadbox Ensemble  cost $100.00.
> ?? why would a person spend that much on an os when they could
> uy a copy of linux for under $50.00 or download it

Several reasons.

Amongst others, here a few of them:

- Bbx ensemble is a commercial package. The distributor has to
make a living by selling it.

- The software contains copyrighted material for which royalties
have to be paid.

- It's a sort of niche product, with a small target area. The
fewer copies are being sold, the higher the cost will be (which is
about the same with IBM's OS/2 and its dialects).

- Linux is a non-commercial product resp. an agglomeration of non
comm. components. It can't be compared to commercial software
since nobody draws profit out of Linux.

Reg's,

Hans.
--

geos is a really good os

Post by Thomas L. Christense » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 18:53:18

Quote:>how come geos is so expensive Breadbox Ensemble  cost $100.00. ??

Expensive? Compared to what?

Quote:> why would
>a person spend that much on an os when they could uy a copy of linux for
>under $50.00 or download it

Because Linux is not what they need?

Why would anyone spend even more on Windows XP and then go and spend
another decent sum on MS-Office? The absolute most expensive
combination of OS and office suite?

It is important to look at what you need. Yes, Linux is free. But if
Linux was a car it would be a truck. Not practical for normal use.
Windows XP would be a *big* (almost trucksize) 4x4 car with
*everything* in extras. Great if you *need* all those extras, but few
do. And everyone pay for them. GEOS may be expensive if you look at
how many extras you get, but it is still cheaper than buying XP with
all its extras you don't need or want.

It's like digital cameras - they can do *everything*. The prize is you
have to go through an endless list of menues, just to take a picture.
At least you have to use half a day reading the manual, just to get
started taking pictures. Is that good? I have been working as IT- and
A/V-supporter in a school - and it was a nightmare. Our cameras and
camcorders was simply to advanced to be of any use to the students. Of
course, a few geeks used them, but all the features (endless menues,
modes and buttons) was blocking for creativity for most of the
students. On the computers we had MS Office 97. The students would
have been more productive if we have had something *much* more simple,
like MS-works 3 or something (if GEOS was translated to danish it
could have been an alternative). Going from Office 95 to Office 97 was
the biggest mistake the school could have done. Money out of the
window.

Don't fool yourself - all this buttons and features is not something
the users demanded. They are there because else the camera would look
like last years model, and then there would be no reason to go and buy
a new camera. The industry has succeeded making us believe more is
better - but it is not true. It is not true when we talk digital
cameras and it is not true when we talk OS'es and Office suites.
Simple *is* better!

--
Thomas L. Christensen

geos is a really good os

Post by Holger La » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 18:48:03

Quote:>no it dosnt have a turbo mode it has 640k of ram and a jumper switch to
>choose between 4mhz and 10mzh

That's good, of course you want to keep it at 10mhz all the time.

The next project is to look inside the machine and see if there is any
way to expand the memory. Mine allowed 1MB and in SETUP I could enable
EMS support. Unfortunately, this only provided a 64kb EMS window at
D000, but no further physical EMS could be installed.

These 64kb, however, came in very handy, when I found a driver that
made them available as UMBs. Together with a number of miniature
drivers for mouse, ansi, keyboard and a couple of other things, I
still had 632052 bytes RAM available. GEOS loved that!

I have a huge software collection for this kind of machine. I can
hardly believe  that I managed to download around a gigabyte of
software with a 2400 modem from FIDO net. :-)))

Holger

geos is a really good os

Post by Jens-Michael Gros » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 20:52:05

dosman schrieb:

Quote:

> no it dosnt have a turbo mode it has 640k of ram and a jumper switch to
> choose between 4mhz and 10mzh
> god ols system

Well, this IS turbo mode. Standard XT was 4.77 MHz, 10 MHz is Turbo.

Grossibaer

--
Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
they are not.

geos is a really good os

Post by Jens-Michael Gros » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 20:51:31

Bob schrieb:

Quote:

> Even NDO rel 3.2a runs on an 8088. Nothing really changed. As for the 286.
> 2x runs just fine on a 286. I can barely tell the difference with it on a
> 286 or a 500 MHz. That's not a good thing BTW. :)

In theory, yes, Rel3.2a still uses 8088 code. But on an 8088 it is
almost useless because with DOS loaded, there isn't much conventional
memory left (and no XMS/EMS at all on an XT) and there are only very few
systems with bigger HDs (>20MB).
NDO2k has some easter-eggs (or better wester-eggs, laid by the
west-coast-company MyTurn) with 386 code in some libraries.
And if you can't tell the difference between a 286 and a 500MHz, then
you should maybe DO something instead of string on the static screen :)
There is indeed no difference between a 486/66 and anything above, but
below that, you'll definitely notice differences. First when printing,
then when doing complex graphics and on 286 level the 2.x and 3.x
systems slow down to almost unusable speed. While 1.2 on a 286 is quick
enough to do real work (as long as you don't need the 2.x features)

But if I remember correctly, 2.x or 3.x on a 286 with 2MB is still
faster and more usable than Win95 on a 486 with 16 MB :)

Grossibaer

--
Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
they are not.

geos is a really good os

Post by Jens-Michael Gros » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 21:01:22

dosman schrieb:

Quote:

> how come geos is so expensive Breadbox Ensemble  cost $100.00. ?? why would
> a person spend that much on an os when they could uy a copy of linux for
> under $50.00 or download it

Almost everything in Linux is free software (freeware) and not
copyrighted (almost all Linux software runs under GPL - GNU Public
License, which means that you can freely use the available sources for
oyur own programs as long as you offer the result freely to everyone
else). The 'only' work of these distributions is to collect the free
software, write an installer program and create a printed manual. GEOS,
however, is not free and uses licensed technologies and so on.

If I'd sell copies of GEOS without paying any royalties or having more
work than just putting the files on a CD, I could offer it for much less
too :)

On the other hand, if you need help from the one who sold you the copy
of Linux, you'll have to pay for professional support. Or for every
problem you have, you'll need to contact a different programmer
somewhere in the wide world.
GEOS is commercial software. This means that you have a right of gettign
support from the manufacturer and several other advantages. And ther eis
someone who is interested in continuing development, while under Linux
it often happens that a nice program or even a core component is
abandoned by the original programmer and it takes ages before others
continue the work and fix the bug. Less, if it is a very common
component, much more, if only the author and you were the only ones
using it :)

Grossibaer

--
Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
they are not.

geos is a really good os

Post by Bob » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 03:11:37

Quote:> how come geos is so expensive Breadbox Ensemble  cost $100.00. ?? why
would
> a person spend that much on an os when they could uy a copy of linux for
> under $50.00 or download it

RIGHT! The price point is nuts! New Deal did the same thing. I think it was
$80! Completely overpriced!

geos is a really good os

Post by Bob » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 03:13:38

Quote:> Simple *is* better!

> --
> Thomas L. Christensen

Actually simple is simply simple. There are 100's upon 100's of needs
PC/GEOS cannot fill.  If your computing needs are simple, and you are
simple, then GEOS is just what a simple person needs. You are correct.

geos is a really good os

Post by Hans Lindgre » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 05:46:14

Well, I remember using a 8088 with a 8-bit 2 MB EMS card. The best option
was to use a Quarterdeck software and just readressing the EMS memory to
the HMA, from 640k to 1024. Then loading the DOS drivers in the 384 Kb HMA.
Geoworks Pro was a real killer.......*laugh* OTOH, at the end of the lifetime
of the 8088, or XT, there was pretty strange babies, as I recall. Motherboards
with everything on, using the NECV20, and adressing 1 MB, with EMS drivers
, very fast motherboards. The last one was with 16 Mhz turbo mode.....was
it '89?

BR,
Hans

> Bob schrieb:

> > Even NDO rel 3.2a runs on an 8088. Nothing really changed. As for the
286.
> > 2x runs just fine on a 286. I can barely tell the difference with it
on a
> > 286 or a 500 MHz. That's not a good thing BTW. :)

> In theory, yes, Rel3.2a still uses 8088 code. But on an 8088 it is
> almost useless because with DOS loaded, there isn't much conventional
> memory left (and no XMS/EMS at all on an XT) and there are only very few
> systems with bigger HDs (>20MB).
> NDO2k has some easter-eggs (or better wester-eggs, laid by the
> west-coast-company MyTurn) with 386 code in some libraries.
> And if you can't tell the difference between a 286 and a 500MHz, then
> you should maybe DO something instead of string on the static screen :)
> There is indeed no difference between a 486/66 and anything above, but
> below that, you'll definitely notice differences. First when printing,
> then when doing complex graphics and on 286 level the 2.x and 3.x
> systems slow down to almost unusable speed. While 1.2 on a 286 is quick
> enough to do real work (as long as you don't need the 2.x features)

> But if I remember correctly, 2.x or 3.x on a 286 with 2MB is still
> faster and more usable than Win95 on a 486 with 16 MB :)

> Grossibaer

> --
> Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
> they are not.

geos is a really good os

Post by Hans Lindgre » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 06:15:42

> On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 03:22:36 -0400

> > how come geos is so expensive Breadbox Ensemble  cost $100.00.
> > ?? why would a person spend that much on an os when they could
> > uy a copy of linux for under $50.00 or download it

> Several reasons.

> Amongst others, here a few of them:

> - Bbx ensemble is a commercial package. The distributor has to
> make a living by selling it.

> - The software contains copyrighted material for which royalties
> have to be paid.

> - It's a sort of niche product, with a small target area. The
> fewer copies are being sold, the higher the cost will be (which is
> about the same with IBM's OS/2 and its dialects).

> - Linux is a non-commercial product resp. an agglomeration of non
> comm. components. It can't be compared to commercial software
> since nobody draws profit out of Linux.

I would like to add, or makes their living from GNU coding in Linux..........

BR,
Hans .

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Subject: Re: Combining Hard Drives
Date: 18 Jun 2003 21:15:57 GMT

Quote:> Anyone know whether it is possible to combine 2 hard drives into one big
> virtual drive/partition?
> I've got two hard drives and want to combine their storage capacities.
> Any ideas?

RAID-0 (as part of the OS or e.g. as controller) is an option.
Some OSes also offer other possibilities such as Linux LVM.
There might also be other options in XP, but RAID-0 is
likely to be the easiest, if not the most flexible one.

Arno
GnuPG: ID:1E25338F FP:0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C  0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F

geos is a really good os

Date: Wed, Jun 18, 2003 03:22 EDT

how come geos is so expensive Breadbox Ensemble  cost $100.00. ?? why would
a person spend that much on an os when they could uy a copy of linux for
under $50.00 or download it

***

I believe e recent deal with Breadbox by the new owners of whatever DRDOS is
now called gets you both GEOS and the DOS for $80.

I think I put a link on the GUI site in the DOS section.