geos is a really good os

Post by dosma » Mon, 16 Jun 2003 15:14:49

im running bdo 3.2 on my 386 and it works great for every thing expt
gameing.
?? what ver of geos would run good and an zenith data systems supersport
laptop it has an 8088 640k of ram and 20mb hd

geos is a really good os

Post by Jens-Michael Gros » Mon, 16 Jun 2003 21:34:53

dosman schrieb:

Quote:

> im running bdo 3.2 on my 386 and it works great for every thing expt
> gameing.
> ?? what ver of geos would run good and an zenith data systems supersport
> laptop it has an 8088 640k of ram and 20mb hd

On such a low system, I'd recommend GEOS 1.2. It is more compact and a
definitely faster than the 2.x or 3.x versions and offers more features
than 1.0.
But it lacks a database program and uses Quattro Pro light as external
(DOS) spreadsheet - which probably won't fit onto this small HD.

Grossibaer

--
Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
they are not.

geos is a really good os

Post by Bob » Mon, 16 Jun 2003 22:52:56

what's bdo?

Quote:> im running bdo 3.2 on my 386 and it works great for every thing expt
> gameing.
> ?? what ver of geos would run good and an zenith data systems supersport
> laptop it has an 8088 640k of ram and 20mb hd

geos is a really good os

Post by Hans Voge » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 00:57:08

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 13:52:56 GMT

> what's bdo?

Seems to be a typo. The OP certainly meant "NDO". b key and n key
are next to each other.

Reg's,

Hans.

geos is a really good os

Post by Holger La » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 19:47:54

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 14:34:53 +0200, Jens-Michael Gross

>dosman schrieb:

>> im running bdo 3.2 on my 386 and it works great for every thing expt
>> gameing.
>> ?? what ver of geos would run good and an zenith data systems supersport
>> laptop it has an 8088 640k of ram and 20mb hd

>On such a low system, I'd recommend GEOS 1.2. It is more compact and a
>definitely faster than the 2.x or 3.x versions and offers more features
>than 1.0.
>But it lacks a database program and uses Quattro Pro light as external
>(DOS) spreadsheet - which probably won't fit onto this small HD.

Does this 8088 have a "turbo" mode? If you can make it run at 10 MHz
and don't get too impatient, it will run ver. 3.2 (minus NewFile,
minus Skipper) just fine.

Another problem might be your graphics. I suspect your laptop has
something like a CGA or Hercules display? Ver. 3.2 was the last one to
support these modes. Unfortunately, some third party programs will run
off the screen on such low resolutions.

Having said that, I have been running GEOS on a similar machine from
1991 until 1997 and was quite happy with its performance.

Holger

geos is a really good os

Post by Jens-Michael Gros » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 04:49:39

Hans Voges schrieb:

> On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 13:52:56 GMT

> > what's bdo?

> Seems to be a typo. The OP certainly meant "NDO". b key and n key
> are next to each other.

Don't tell this to BOB. He's a MS computer expert. He doesn't know about
typos, because almost everything is done with the mouse and any illegal
word (such as Linux, NDO, whatever) is automatically consored too. I"d
guess, his answers to the various postings here are done using an
Anti-GEOS-Reply-Wizard where the usual phrases are assembled by clicking
onto a collection of typical BOB-Responses.

Grossibaer

--
Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
they are not.

geos is a really good os

Post by Thomas L. Christense » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 05:54:39

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 21:49:39 +0200, Jens-Michael Gross

>> > what's bdo?

>> Seems to be a typo. The OP certainly meant "NDO". b key and n key
>> are next to each other.

>Don't tell this to BOB. He's a MS computer expert. He doesn't know about
>typos, because almost everything is done with the mouse and any illegal
>word (such as Linux, NDO, whatever) is automatically consored too. I"d
>guess, his answers to the various postings here are done using an
>Anti-GEOS-Reply-Wizard where the usual phrases are assembled by clicking
>onto a collection of typical BOB-Responses.

Oh, *LOL*, it's good to have you back!

--
Thomas L. Christensen

geos is a really good os

Post by Bob » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 06:44:53

Actually I rarely use the mouse as the keyboard is much faster. In fact I
teach my students not to use the mouse and require them to know all the
keyboard commands. So sorry, wrong again Jens :)

> Hans Voges schrieb:

> > On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 13:52:56 GMT

> > > what's bdo?

> > Seems to be a typo. The OP certainly meant "NDO". b key and n key
> > are next to each other.

> Don't tell this to BOB. He's a MS computer expert. He doesn't know about
> typos, because almost everything is done with the mouse and any illegal
> word (such as Linux, NDO, whatever) is automatically consored too. I"d
> guess, his answers to the various postings here are done using an
> Anti-GEOS-Reply-Wizard where the usual phrases are assembled by clicking
> onto a collection of typical BOB-Responses.

> Grossibaer

> --
> Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
> they are not.

geos is a really good os

Post by C BLANK » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 16:15:34

***On such a low system, I'd recommend GEOS 1.2. It is more compact and a
definitely faster than the 2.x or 3.x versions and offers more features
than 1.0.
But it lacks a database program and uses Quattro Pro light as external
(DOS) spreadsheet - which probably won't fit onto this small HD.

Grossibaer
***

1.2 will do nicely on an 8088 for the word processor, draw and PIMs. It can
turn out a nice B&W newsletter w/graphics too.

Chip Blank
GUI
GeoGrafix

The GEOS Users International website is at:
http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

geos is a really good os

Post by C BLANK » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 16:22:30

***Does this 8088 have a "turbo" mode? If you can make it run at 10 MHz
and don't get too impatient, it will run ver. 3.2 (minus NewFile,
minus Skipper) just fine.
***

Although you need some patience when using graphics. 10MHz is a bit slow on
screen draw/redraw.

I believe GEOS after 1.2 comes on 1.44 meg. high density disks, which might be
a problem for older systems.

Post by Tom Accuost » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 01:27:11

| ***Does this 8088 have a "turbo" mode? If you can make it run at 10
| MHz and don't get too impatient, it will run ver. 3.2 (minus NewFile,
| minus Skipper) just fine.
| ***

Chip, I don't thinkn that this is your quote above, but let me respond:

Geos 2 and up really didn't want to run on my 8088 or 286. Or more
correctly, it was horribly slow. A friend of mine also used it on his
Acer desktop, and had to go back to 1.2 (yes Bob, there were two Geos
users in the same town!). I found that they worked much better when you
added more RAM, say, 4meg. I had an 8088 with a CGA screen running at 12
mhz. Nothing I did would make 2.0 workable for the graphics. Same thing
with my 286 running at 16 mhz and 1 meg. OTOH, when I went to a 386sx
with 4 meg, it flew!

| Although you need some patience when using graphics. 10MHz is a bit
| slow on screen draw/redraw.
|
| I believe GEOS after 1.2 comes on 1.44 meg. high density disks, which
| might be a problem for older systems.

IIRC, you had the option to order 2.1 on 5 1/4s. I did that, then used
an older machine to copy them to  3 1/2" disks.

Tom

geos is a really good os

Post by Jens-Michael Gros » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 04:09:30

"Thomas L. Christensen" schrieb:

Quote:

> Oh, *LOL*, it's good to have you back!

I've been there all the time, but justt oo tired to write anything to
these seasonal 'my OS is bigger than yours' threads. :)

Grossibaer

--
Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
they are not.

geos is a really good os

Post by Bob » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 05:06:09

Even NDO rel 3.2a runs on an 8088. Nothing really changed. As for the 286.
2x runs just fine on a 286. I can barely tell the difference with it on a
286 or a 500 MHz. That's not a good thing BTW. :)

> | ***Does this 8088 have a "turbo" mode? If you can make it run at 10
> | MHz and don't get too impatient, it will run ver. 3.2 (minus NewFile,
> | minus Skipper) just fine.
> | ***

> Chip, I don't thinkn that this is your quote above, but let me respond:

> Geos 2 and up really didn't want to run on my 8088 or 286. Or more
> correctly, it was horribly slow. A friend of mine also used it on his
> Acer desktop, and had to go back to 1.2 (yes Bob, there were two Geos
> users in the same town!). I found that they worked much better when you
> added more RAM, say, 4meg. I had an 8088 with a CGA screen running at 12
> mhz. Nothing I did would make 2.0 workable for the graphics. Same thing
> with my 286 running at 16 mhz and 1 meg. OTOH, when I went to a 386sx
> with 4 meg, it flew!

> | Although you need some patience when using graphics. 10MHz is a bit
> | slow on screen draw/redraw.
> |
> | I believe GEOS after 1.2 comes on 1.44 meg. high density disks, which
> | might be a problem for older systems.

> IIRC, you had the option to order 2.1 on 5 1/4s. I did that, then used
> an older machine to copy them to  3 1/2" disks.

> Tom

geos is a really good os

Post by dosma » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 06:00:14

no it dosnt have a turbo mode it has 640k of ram and a jumper switch to
choose between 4mhz and 10mzh
god ols system

geos is a really good os

Post by hyubs » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 06:07:21

its also not a good thing that when i upgraded my duron 950/256MB/40GB
to an athlon 2000+750MB/120GB, WINDOWS and netscape and msword hardly
seem to run any faster....BTW

:>)