Help with GEOS 1.2

Post by Soap » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:09:48

Hello,

One of my earlier computers had the GOES OS. I saved a lot of work on files
in that system. As I began using DOS and then Windoze 3.1 I copied all the
files from the GOES puter onto 5 3.5 floppies. Back then I would "xcopy
A:\*.*/s" them back onto the computer each time I had to FDISK. I would then
go into the GOEWORKS directory and run setup and all would be well.

I want to get all the stuff I did in GEOS printed out. I made a puter out of
spare parts. I have a;

R581mustang MOBO w/PII 300MMX chip
USB mouse and keyboard

4 gig harddrive partitioned to 500MHZ (Fat 16) with DOS 6.22.

When I run the setup it does the initial changes to my config.sys file then
I reboot. after the reboot I run the setup again. I see;

Initializing Heap
Initializing File Module
Initializing Drive Module
Initializing Disk Module
Initializing Geode Module
Initializing Thread Module
Initializing Timer Module

then the system hangs. This is all on a DOS looking screen before I get to
the GUI GEOS setup. I don't care how it looks or anything I just want to
print the files. Any ideas what this means or how to get past this conflict?

Help with GEOS 1.2

Post by Bob » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:32:47

Perhaps the AGP card, USB mouse & keyboard?

> Hello,

> One of my earlier computers had the GOES OS. I saved a lot of work on
files
> in that system. As I began using DOS and then Windoze 3.1 I copied all the
> files from the GOES puter onto 5 3.5 floppies. Back then I would "xcopy
> A:\*.*/s" them back onto the computer each time I had to FDISK. I would
then
> go into the GOEWORKS directory and run setup and all would be well.

> I want to get all the stuff I did in GEOS printed out. I made a puter out
of
> spare parts. I have a;

> R581mustang MOBO w/PII 300MMX chip
> USB mouse and keyboard

> 4 gig harddrive partitioned to 500MHZ (Fat 16) with DOS 6.22.

> When I run the setup it does the initial changes to my config.sys file
then
> I reboot. after the reboot I run the setup again. I see;

> Initializing Heap
> Initializing File Module
> Initializing Drive Module
> Initializing Disk Module
> Initializing Geode Module
> Initializing Thread Module
> Initializing Timer Module

> then the system hangs. This is all on a DOS looking screen before I get to
> the GUI GEOS setup. I don't care how it looks or anything I just want to
> print the files. Any ideas what this means or how to get past this
conflict?

Help with GEOS 1.2

Post by Soap » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:43:57

Can you elaborate a bit? Maybe the AGP card, USB mouse and Keyboard what?
You think they may be causing the problem? Oh, I may have made a typo, the
mouse and keyboard are not USB I believe they are called PS/2. They have the
little round plug and not the little rectangular shaped plug...

> Perhaps the AGP card, USB mouse & keyboard?

> > Hello,

> > One of my earlier computers had the GOES OS. I saved a lot of work on
> files
> > in that system. As I began using DOS and then Windoze 3.1 I copied all
the
> > files from the GOES puter onto 5 3.5 floppies. Back then I would "xcopy
> > A:\*.*/s" them back onto the computer each time I had to FDISK. I would
> then
> > go into the GOEWORKS directory and run setup and all would be well.

> > I want to get all the stuff I did in GEOS printed out. I made a puter
out
> of
> > spare parts. I have a;

> > R581mustang MOBO w/PII 300MMX chip
> > USB mouse and keyboard

> > 4 gig harddrive partitioned to 500MHZ (Fat 16) with DOS 6.22.

> > When I run the setup it does the initial changes to my config.sys file
> then
> > I reboot. after the reboot I run the setup again. I see;

> > Initializing Heap
> > Initializing File Module
> > Initializing Drive Module
> > Initializing Disk Module
> > Initializing Geode Module
> > Initializing Thread Module
> > Initializing Timer Module

> > then the system hangs. This is all on a DOS looking screen before I get
> > the GUI GEOS setup. I don't care how it looks or anything I just want to
> > print the files. Any ideas what this means or how to get past this
> conflict?

Help with GEOS 1.2

Post by Bob » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:55:31

> Can you elaborate a bit? Maybe the AGP card, USB mouse and Keyboard what?
> You think they may be causing the problem?

Ummm, yeah but...

Quote:>Oh, I may have made a typo, the
> mouse and keyboard are not USB I believe they are called PS/2. They have
the
> little round plug and not the little rectangular shaped plug...

Ummm, OK. Well there is world of difference between the two. So seeing as
how your original hardware specs were totally incorrect, perhaps then the
speed of the CPU and FSB is causing the problem. Try going into CMOS setup
and disable both L1 & L2 cache. Also you may want to bypass both CONFIG.SYS
& AUTOEXEC.BAT, (press the F5 key when you see, "starting MS-DOS." The CD to
your GEOS Dir, and run LOADER from there.

Help with GEOS 1.2

Post by Soap » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:54:15

When I hit F5 and bypass the config.sys and autoexec.bat it stops at
"initializing drive module" (sooner). I believe it needs the "Buffer = 30"
to get past this point. This is with both internal and external cache
disabled in the BIOS.

When I do not bypass the config and auto files and have the cache disabled
them I hang at "HIMEM testing extended memory" going into DOS.

I believe here was something I used to have to write in either the config or
the auto file but that was too many notes, files, beers and years ago. Any
other suggestions?

> > Can you elaborate a bit? Maybe the AGP card, USB mouse and Keyboard
what?
> > You think they may be causing the problem?

> Ummm, yeah but...

> >Oh, I may have made a typo, the
> > mouse and keyboard are not USB I believe they are called PS/2. They have
> the
> > little round plug and not the little rectangular shaped plug...

> Ummm, OK. Well there is world of difference between the two. So seeing as
> how your original hardware specs were totally incorrect, perhaps then the
> speed of the CPU and FSB is causing the problem. Try going into CMOS setup
> and disable both L1 & L2 cache. Also you may want to bypass both
CONFIG.SYS
> & AUTOEXEC.BAT, (press the F5 key when you see, "starting MS-DOS." The CD
> your GEOS Dir, and run LOADER from there.

Help with GEOS 1.2

Post by Pat » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 23:44:47

GENERAL ADVICE:

Start with clean and simple Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files, then
incrementally build, as needed, from there.

Post by Jens-Michael Gros » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 04:18:59

Bob schrieb:

> > Can you elaborate a bit? Maybe the AGP card, USB mouse and Keyboard what?
> > You think they may be causing the problem?
> Ummm, OK. Well there is world of difference between the two. So seeing as
> how your original hardware specs were totally incorrect, perhaps then the
> speed of the CPU and FSB is causing the problem. Try going into CMOS setup
> and disable both L1 & L2 cache. Also you may want to bypass both CONFIG.SYS
> & AUTOEXEC.BAT, (press the F5 key when you see, "starting MS-DOS." The CD to
> your GEOS Dir, and run LOADER from there.

I didn't see the original article (maybe it will arrive tomorrow on my
news server). but...

If the problem would be with the processor speed, yu'd get a KR-error.
It rather looks like GEOS is unable to switch the video card into
standard VGA mode (which should be the default after an installation).
And that the BIOS is accepting the call for changing the video mode
without an error but also without doing it.
As a result, GEOS is running (and maybe showing a KR error window :) ),
but nobody can see it.

AGP cards are a bit tricky and some manufacturers did not put a proper
(DOS compatible) BIOS on them too.
Can other DOS programs switch to different text or video modes? Maybe
you'll need to load a DOS TSR program that offers this functionality to
DOS programs (in Windoze, this functionality is in the windoze driver).
I've even heard of AGP cards where windows was unable to enter safe mode
because there was no video driver loaded. This depended on the board and
the boards AGP support in BIOS.

Can you try to put a plain PCI (or maybe even an old ISA) card into this
machine? (again, I cannot see the original article and therefore don't
know the specs)

Grossibaer

--
Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
they are not.

Help with GEOS 1.2

Post by J?rg Polzf » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 22:09:00

Hi!

You might want to try this when you're using MS-Dos:

AUTOEXEC.BAT:
=============

C:\MSDOS\SETVER KERNEL.EXE 4.01

CONFIG.SYS:
===========
dos=high, umb
DEVICE=C:\MSDOS\himem.sys /testmem:off /shadow:on
files=220
buffers=30
DEVICE=C:\MSDOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS I=b000-b7ff
DEVICE=C:\MSDOS\SETVER.EXE

REMARKS:
* The above setting only works when your MS-Dos is installed to
C:\MSDOS ;-)
* The I=... parameter for EMM386.EXE is used to specify a certain part
of the RAM that EMM386 has to ignore. You'll have to adjust it to your
hardware (graphiccard, networkcard, soundcard, ....)
* The two "setver"-lines are only needed when you're using a DOS
version 5.x or higher.
* You might want to add Smartdrive, a "set PATH", ... .
* I suppose that you've copied an old, installed version of Geos. If
not (=you want to install Geos from the install-disks), you should
remember that the "crash" of the install-routine is "normal" on PCs
faster than 100MHz and that you'll have to manually edit your geos.ini
to use Geos.

BR
J?rg

Help with GEOS 1.2

Post by Soap » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:50:32

Thanks for all the help guys. I had to tear up the garage this weekend to
find older stuff but I finally got this to work. I also had to reduce the
memory. Not sure why???

> Hi!

> You might want to try this when you're using MS-Dos:

> AUTOEXEC.BAT:
> =============

> C:\MSDOS\SETVER KERNEL.EXE 4.01

> CONFIG.SYS:
> ===========
> dos=high, umb
> DEVICE=C:\MSDOS\himem.sys /testmem:off /shadow:on
> files=220
> buffers=30
> DEVICE=C:\MSDOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS I=b000-b7ff
> DEVICE=C:\MSDOS\SETVER.EXE

> REMARKS:
> * The above setting only works when your MS-Dos is installed to
> C:\MSDOS ;-)
> * The I=... parameter for EMM386.EXE is used to specify a certain part
> of the RAM that EMM386 has to ignore. You'll have to adjust it to your
> hardware (graphiccard, networkcard, soundcard, ....)
> * The two "setver"-lines are only needed when you're using a DOS
> version 5.x or higher.
> * You might want to add Smartdrive, a "set PATH", ... .
> * I suppose that you've copied an old, installed version of Geos. If
> not (=you want to install Geos from the install-disks), you should
> remember that the "crash" of the install-routine is "normal" on PCs
> faster than 100MHz and that you'll have to manually edit your geos.ini
> to use Geos.

> BR
> J?rg

1. GEOS 1.2 View option

Is it is possible to reset the default display for GeoWrite
version 1.2 (QuickStart) do that it displays at 125 or 150 per
cent?   I'm tinkering with a system for a vision-impaired lady,
and I've been able to reset the system display fonts, but not
sure where in the INI file I should look for the word processesor
display.

Thanks in advance,

Dan.

2. Windows fails to load driver

3. Can't finish installing Pc/Geos ver. 1.2

4. Auto re-size text fields

5. Printer driver for Geos 1.2

6. Pre-alpha release: heap access profiler

7. Geos 1.2 under Windows 98

8. Risc Os and !newlook etc...

9. I have a question about y2k bug and Geos Ensamble 1.2

10. GEOS 1.2 Disk 2

11. geos 1.2 problem

12. Step by step upgrading MINIX 1.1 -> 1.2 ; 1.2 -> 1.3

13. Step by step updating MINIX 1.1 -> 1.2 1.2 -> 1.3