Need software for NDO 3.2a

Post by James Lawri » Fri, 23 May 2003 12:18:16

Howdy,

I'm looking for GEOS software that allows the use of my SCSI scanner with
NDO. Also are there any native GEOS apps that can read and convert other
vector type images into the scrapbook ie. (WMF,WPG,etc..) without converting
to CGM first.

Additionally, also considering upgrading to Breadbox Ensemble soon, what do
others in this group think about it?  I've tried the lite version but it's
to restricted to get a true feeling for it.

Thanks,

Jim

Need software for NDO 3.2a

Post by Jens-Michael Gros » Fri, 23 May 2003 22:10:15

James Lawrie schrieb:

Quote:

> Howdy,

> I'm looking for GEOS software that allows the use of my SCSI scanner with
> NDO.

If you have an Agfa SnapScan 600 or 1236 (maybe other SnapScan models
work too), then my scanner application would do the job.
I planned to release drivers for Umax Astra and Microtek ScanMaker too
(I have them and I got the programming manuals) but I never found the
time to write them.

Also, I think there is a scanner app from Canon for their bundled
scanner for their GEOS-Typewriter-like device (forgot the name).

Quote:> Also are there any native GEOS apps that can read and convert other
> vector type images into the scrapbook ie. (WMF,WPG,etc..) without converting
> to CGM first.

No. It has been discussed often, but the WMF format is a container class
(like AVI) which can contain almost everything and you'll need the
proper 'codecs' to retrieve the content. It would work only for a small
part of all WMF files where the format of the data is known.
Nobody found the time to do the job.

Quote:> Additionally, also considering upgrading to Breadbox Ensemble soon, what do
> others in this group think about it?  I've tried the lite version but it's
> to restricted to get a true feeling for it.

There are pros and cons. The biggest advantage of BBE are the way newer
and more advanced internet apps (compared to NDO2000). NDO2000 has some
different/additional tools.

Which one to prefer depends on what you want to do with it.

Grossibaer

--
Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
they are not.

Need software for NDO 3.2a

Post by James Lawri » Fri, 23 May 2003 23:17:49

Quote:> If you have an Agfa SnapScan 600 or 1236 (maybe other SnapScan models
> work too), then my scanner application would do the job.
> I planned to release drivers for Umax Astra and Microtek ScanMaker too
> (I have them and I got the programming manuals) but I never found the
> time to write them.

> Also, I think there is a scanner app from Canon for their bundled
> scanner for their GEOS-Typewriter-like device (forgot the name).

My scanner is an Epson Perfection 636, I've had it working with the generic
support of Linux, so maybe the same with a GEOS app? It's worth a try

Quote:

> No. It has been discussed often, but the WMF format is a container class
> (like AVI) which can contain almost everything and you'll need the
> proper 'codecs' to retrieve the content. It would work only for a small
> part of all WMF files where the format of the data is known.
> Nobody found the time to do the job.

Just looking to save some effort converting windows clipart to CGM. Any
suggestions on a small quick windows app to do this with?

Quote:> > Additionally, also considering upgrading to Breadbox Ensemble soon, what
do
> > others in this group think about it?  I've tried the lite version but
it's
> > to restricted to get a true feeling for it.

> There are pros and cons. The biggest advantage of BBE are the way newer
> and more advanced internet apps (compared to NDO2000). NDO2000 has some
> different/additional tools.

> Which one to prefer depends on what you want to do with it.

> Grossibaer

My main reason for upgrading would be for the improved internet apps. I'm
pretty happy with the other applications, though an upgrade of the database
would be nice. Maybe something like a graphical frontend for dBase files,
kinda like Geoworks Pro had for Quattro spreadsheets.

Thanks,

Jim

Need software for NDO 3.2a

Post by Jens-Michael Gros » Sat, 24 May 2003 20:55:06

James Lawrie schrieb:

> > If you have an Agfa SnapScan 600 or 1236 (maybe other SnapScan models
> > work too), then my scanner application would do the job.
> > I planned to release drivers for Umax Astra and Microtek ScanMaker too
> > (I have them and I got the programming manuals) but I never found the
> > time to write them.

> > Also, I think there is a scanner app from Canon for their bundled
> > scanner for their GEOS-Typewriter-like device (forgot the name).

> My scanner is an Epson Perfection 636, I've had it working with the generic
> support of Linux, so maybe the same with a GEOS app? It's worth a try

Most certainly not.
The first Alpha version of the scanner app used a generic driver based
on the Adaptec SCSI Whitepapers, but it was almost useless for my
SnapScan. The actual app does not include this 'driver'. There is only
SnapScan support.

Quote:> Just looking to save some effort converting windows clipart to CGM. Any
> suggestions on a small quick windows app to do this with?

I think I read about a batch utility some time ago, but I do not
remember where and what. Maybe Graphics Workshop (I know it had a batch
converter in the old WIn3.1 version, but I don't know about vector
graphics, but maybe the more recent versions...)

Quote:> My main reason for upgrading would be for the improved internet apps. I'm
> pretty happy with the other applications, though an upgrade of the database
> would be nice. Maybe something like a graphical frontend for dBase files,
> kinda like Geoworks Pro had for Quattro spreadsheets.

NDO2000 in its gold build and last betas (not the one available from
Breadbox) did include high-quality sound drivers for SB8/16 compatible
cards. Also, some additional tools are included. But it has older
versions of the internet apps.

The main applications are more or less unchanged since 1995.

Grossibaer

--
Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
they are not.

1. Problem with Windows Me and NDO 3.2a

Hello,

I can't seem to get NDO 3.2a running on my Windows Me laptop. After install
and during setup I keep getting the following error:

No valid font files found in USERDATA\FONT directory. (KR-29)

It ran fine on the same laptop and Windows 98SE, but I have to run Me for
the modem to work. (Compaq Presario)

Thanks,

Jim

2. 9.0(1) stability

3. pdf-files - NDO 3.2a

4. Burning ISO files

5. NDO 3.2a Upgrade Disks

6. FS: ImageVision Multimedia software (better than SCALA!)

7. NDO 3.2a Upgrade

8. help wanted!

9. NDO 3.2a upgrade patch and bonus

10. ndo 3.2a

11. For Roy Miller and other people who would like to buy NDO 3.2a

12. Etherodi and NDO 3.2a

13. Geoworks Pro apps & NDO 3.2a