GROT is back !

Post by Philippe Dallemagn » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 19:59:11

Hi,

I just noticed that http://www.grot.com/zoomer/ (the famous grot) is
back online. Nothing new added to the site, but still I was sad when it
disappeared some years ago.

GEOS resurrection ;-) ?

Philippe.

GROT is back !

Post by Bob » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 04:54:25

Quote:> Hi,
> GEOS resurrection ;-) ?

> Philippe.

Yeah that's it! And soon Jesus will come from the sky and all the righteous
will be rewarded.

GROT is back !

Post by Edward Nij » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 04:53:37

Hi Philippe,

that was fun , reading those old postings on GROT.

Do you own a Zoomer? Never seen it in Belgium.
When  I bought my OGO, GROT wasn't there anymore.
Although I like the OMNIGO ONLINE  site the most.

Strangely enough it went down on this very September 11, 2001!
Never managed to contact Tom Doan afterwards.  :-(

Parts of the website are available, look at GEOS infobase links.

Edward

Quote:> Hi,

> I just noticed that http://www.grot.com/zoomer/ (the famous grot) is
> back online. Nothing new added to the site, but still I was sad when it
> disappeared some years ago.

> GEOS resurrection ;-) ?

> Philippe.

GROT is back !

Post by Edward Nij » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 05:15:53

Well, then it must have happened this night!

Just saw on the local news they discovered a huge grain circle in a farmer's
field. Very nice shape! Anyone who wants the picture, just yell and I'll
send it (21 Kbytes).

Neighbours heard a strange noise, something like WOO WOO WOO! They were
afraid to go outside and take a look. :-) Did I mention the name of the
village nearby is called JEUK   ( ITCH) !
NATO CRC  radarbase in GLONS is investigating the case .

Edward

> > Hi,
> > GEOS resurrection ;-) ?

> > Philippe.

> Yeah that's it! And soon Jesus will come from the sky and all the
righteous
> will be rewarded.

GROT is back !

Post by Philippe Dallemagn » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:08:06

Hi Edward,

> Hi Philippe,

> that was fun , reading those old postings on GROT.

> Do you own a Zoomer?

I own three of them (two Casio Z-7000 and a Tandy Zoomer). I bought the
first in 96 (IIRC, at this time the Palm was just taking in France), the
second one (for my wife) second-hand from the US in 97, the third one
(bought as a backup) by chance in 98 along PalmConnect. Not that cheap,
but one of them is still used daily. I moved in 2000 for a Nokia 9110.

I am still a fan of the Zoomer in spite of its slow reactions and its
screen that is hard to read in low-light conditions. The applications
are very well done, simple and complete. Of course you miss the wireless
connectivity, but I also enjoy its autonomy. You can also take advantage
of its size, making drawings easy and clear. Finally you can run almost
any GEOS desktop application, provided it takes care of the screen size.
Write and Calc can be used, although they are not very performant.

OT, yesterday I thought about preparing some simple slides on my
Ericsson MC16. Uh ! you can't even type a single character in Pocket
Powerpoint. You can only slowly browse the imported presentations
(small, no animations apparently). Crap. The Zoomer beats it hands down.

Quote:> Never seen it in Belgium.
> When  I bought my OGO, GROT wasn't there anymore.
> Although I like the OMNIGO ONLINE  site the most.

> Strangely enough it went down on this very September 11, 2001!
> Never managed to contact Tom Doan afterwards.  :-(

> Parts of the website are available, look at GEOS infobase links.

I know it very well. I also have parts of it.

Philippe.

> Edward

> > Hi,

> > I just noticed that http://www.grot.com/zoomer/ (the famous grot) is
> > back online. Nothing new added to the site, but still I was sad when it
> > disappeared some years ago.

> > GEOS resurrection ;-) ?

> > Philippe.

GROT is back !

Post by Hans Lindgre » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 05:25:22

With GEOS in his hands.......Bill Gates will shiver.........a place is reserved
for him in hell, where every computer runs............................?
GEOS? No! Unix? No!........Windows..............YES!

Yieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeks!

BR,
Hans

> > Hi,
> > GEOS resurrection ;-) ?

> > Philippe.

> Yeah that's it! And soon Jesus will come from the sky and all the righteous
> will be rewarded.

GROT is back !

Post by Hans Lindgre » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 05:41:51

Well, I can inform you that this might have something to do with the fact
that the server was placed in one of the server rooms in the twin towers,
or that there was a dependecy to a server, and there was no backup. One client
I work for used a service which was placed in the twin towers and it took
about a week for them to get the service online and there was no messages
given to what have happen. By tracing the IP numberings used and some detective
work we could assume what have happened. The sad  thing was the lack of information,
as if it would have been passed, it would have created both understanding,
sympathy and some patience waiting for the service to go online. I sure hope
that Tom Doan is alive and well..........

BR,
Hans