could geos use this to boot and run

Post by hyubs » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 16:51:13

from a USB flash/thumb drive??

I plan on buying one soon, lookin for a bootable one to go on sale at
fry's.. unfortunately fry's only puts the non bootable ones on sale..

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10215

could geos use this to boot and run

Post by Andreas Bollhalde » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 05:47:57

I think that GEOS can be run from the stick, because the BIOS of the
computer will handle all read and write requests. There are two different
modes the stick can be accesed. As a super floppy or as a hard disk. First
try to boot from DOS only, because there are a lot of BIOS which won't let
starting from a USB stick. If it doesn't work, look for a new BIOS. Also
don't forget to put all often changed files to a RAM disk (swap file, cache
from the browser etc.) because the sticks have flash memory which can only
be written about 100'000 times before they can't be used anymore...

Andreas

Quote:> from a USB flash/thumb drive??

> I plan on buying one soon, lookin for a bootable one to go on sale at
> fry's.. unfortunately fry's only puts the non bootable ones on sale..

> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10215

1. Using boot ROM to boot up a workstation on a network running NT 4.0?

Is the following possible? If yes, how is it done?
Use a PC without hard-disk and floppy drives but with 32MB RAM and a
Pentium CPU, install a network card with boot ROM built-in. Connect this
PC to a server running NT 4.0. Use this server to boot up this PC. User
for this PC should be able to do word processing, enter data by thru the
MRP software and use contact manager software eg Goldmine, all running on
the server.

F.H. Chew
Thanks!

2. Project 2002 - opinions

3. Please Help - HP Scanjet 4c ands NT

4. Enabling the Add/Remove Program applet within the Control Panel

5. multiple boot setup with GEOS?

6. Epson Ink Carts

7. Geos as a Boot Disk Shell?

8. Unable to debug Classic ASP or breakpoints

9. Run GEOS 2.0 with c64 Emulator?

10. Running Geos WITHOUT any other OS?

11. Running Geos without DOS.

12. experience with geos (was Re: the Star runs once more)

13. How to run GEOS under NT