XLS-files

Post by Markku Lehikoin » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 13:25:58

Hi all!

Does anybody know if we can wait Excel (.XLS)  import filter in near
future?
Plan B: Does anybody know if somewhere is DOS based utilty
to wiev/open/convert  Excell files?
Plan C: Does anybody know if somewhere is WIN3.11 based uility
to w/o/c Excell files?

Regards
Markku Lehikoinen

XLS-files

Post by Bob » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 05:51:10

Quote:> Hi all!

> Does anybody know if we can wait Excel (.XLS)  import filter in near
> future?
> Plan B: Does anybody know if somewhere is DOS based utilty
> to wiev/open/convert  Excell files?
> Plan C: Does anybody know if somewhere is WIN3.11 based uility
> to w/o/c Excell files?

> Regards
> Markku Lehikoinen

who would develop it? and once developed, who would buy it? see this is a
major problem. it applies to all improvements to GEOS. ask yourself what
company or individual would devout the manpower, and what would they get in
return? the answer to both is bupkis.

XLS-files

Post by Fred Koerp » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 08:03:00

Moin Markku,

am 08.04.03 schriebst du
[you wrote]

Quote:> Does anybody know if we can wait Excel (.XLS)  import filter in near
> future?

I don't think so.... :-/#

Quote:> Plan B: Does anybody know if somewhere is DOS based utilty
> to wiev/open/convert  Excell files?

Unfortunately not.... :-/#

Quote:> Plan C: Does anybody know if somewhere is WIN3.11 based uility
> to w/o/c Excell files?

Unfortunately not.... :-/#

I solve this problem using OpenOffice for Linux. It's the only way not
to use M$-products.... :-/#

cu, Fred

Fido 2:2437/22.0 // BBS +49 511 2708643 // Fax +49 511 2708643
www.was-ist-fido.de // www.bbsliste.de // www.crosspoint.de

XLS-files

Post by Bob » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 10:11:10

Quote:

> I solve this problem using OpenOffice for Linux. It's the only way not
> to use M$-products.... :-/#

> cu, Fred

I don't care if I use a MS product or not, only that I use a good product,
and Open Office is a very good product. I've used both the Linux, and
Windows versions. Plus, the price, ZERO, is really a good price point. It's
compatibility with MS Office is a great feature. Sadly again how GEOS apps
are totally lacking in this. Oh, I forgot, there is that 1/2 baked Word 8
thingie in the newer version! Wooppiiee!

XLS-files

Post by J?rg Polzf » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 18:24:58

Hi!

DOS:
You can open the OLDER XLS-formats with the Norton-Commander.
There are some other DOS-tools (freeware/PD) that can convert XLS to
CSV or to HTML. But they can only work with the OLDER XLS-formats,
too, e.g.:
http://www.45.free.net/~vitus/ice/catdoc/

Win3.x:
There are/were M$-Excel and a free M$-Excel-Viewer for Win3.x who can
read the older XLS-formats.
Some other Office-Packages, e.g. the older versions of StarOffice, run
under Win3.x, too, and can import XLS, too.

Geos:
You'll have to export the XLS-files to CSV or dBase with some other
programs to use them.

BR
J?rg

XLS-files

Post by Markku Lehikoin » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 14:10:47

Thanks all  for answers.

I have spent one beutiful springday surffing around, downloading
and testing things. No one helps, some have version problems,
some needs win 95 or up and some just do not work.

I have done all my real computing works using geos
since -91 or something, version 1,2.
I do not care if OS is win or geos or linux or whatever amiga.
Just want to do things easily and smoothly. Geos has filled
most of my needs and this #2 computer with win3.11 has
done the rest, like image prosessing, internet and newsgroups.

It  seems that nowadays excel is the standard in business world,
Quite many e-mails I receive has main information in xls-attachments.

Plan X is to ask my business partner to send again as plain text.
I do not like it.
Plan Y is to re-send files to my wifes office. She must convert the
files to something "normal" and send back.
She and her boss do not like it.
Plan Z is to jump to windows train.
It takes money, time and effort.
I think I am too lazy.

Regards
Markku Lehikoinen

XLS-files

Post by Douglas A. Tayl » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 03:30:54

>Thanks all  for answers.
>Plan Z is to jump to windows train.

Well, that ought to make Bob happy.  He's always looking to shoo people
away from GEOS.

Quote:>It takes money, time and effort.
>I think I am too lazy.

For what it's worth, Linux is fairly easy to install, it's free, and
the Gnumeric spreadsheet reads Excel files fairly well.
--
   Doug Taylor                         |   Nothing real can be threatened.
   The Ohio State University           |   Nothing unreal exists.

XLS-files

Post by Hans Voge » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 04:16:32

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 05:10:47 GMT

>  Plan Z is to jump to windows train.
> It takes money, time and effort.

Markku, in the 16-bit world -and Geos resides there- you won't find
any reliable tools for converting actual XLS stuff into 16-bit readable
output.

Your plan "Z" (Windows) does involve some money to spend, yes, and to cope
with frozen screens and/or blue screens for the rest of your time
at the keyboard.

Do you really want that?

I recommend a plan "Z-1": Get yourself some actual Linux distribution,
install OpenOffice along with it and there you go. The spreadsheet
which comes with OOo reads all that MS stuff and can cope with it.

Doesn't cost you any lousy markka, and you've a stable working donkey forever.

Plan Z-1 takes a little time, and a little effort. But no money... :-))))

Reg's,

Hans.

XLS-files

Post by Douglas A. Tayl » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 04:45:14

Quote:

>I recommend a plan "Z-1": Get yourself some actual Linux distribution,
>install OpenOffice along with it and there you go. The spreadsheet
>which comes with OOo reads all that MS stuff and can cope with it.

At the risk of repeating myself, Gnumeric comes with most Linux
distributions -- at least the ones that have Gnome -- and it reads Excel
spreadsheets fairly well.  It's also a bit lighter weight and faster
than OpenOffice.org.

--
   Doug Taylor                         |   Nothing real can be threatened.
   The Ohio State University           |   Nothing unreal exists.

XLS-files

Post by Bob » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 06:00:33

Quote:

> Your plan "Z" (Windows) does involve some money to spend, yes, and to cope
> with frozen screens and/or blue screens for the rest of your time
> at the keyboard.

Only the 9x family, which no one really uses anymore. NT 5 and 5.5 are next
to impossible to lock up.

XLS-files

Post by Hans Voge » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 06:09:34

Hi Doug,

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 19:45:14 +0000 (UTC)

Quote:> At the risk of repeating myself, Gnumeric comes with most Linux
> distributions -- at least the ones that have Gnome -- and it reads Excel
> spreadsheets fairly well.  It's also a bit lighter weight and faster
> than OpenOffice.org.

Oops - Your first article on that subject, Doug, I only retrieved after
having posted mine. Sorry.

Of course you're right: gnumeric, which indeed is included in most
of the usual distributions, should be first choice - it's more than
"a bit" lighter than OOo and really faster...
I missed gnumeric because I don't have to fiddle around with imports
from foreign spreadsheets. I'm still happy with NewCalc, and haven't
used gnumeric so far. But why not? There's a future...

(Could it be, BTW, that I just met another Gnome enthusiast...?)

Reg's,

Hans (who employs sylpheed for this posting).

XLS-files

Post by Hans Voge » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 06:31:42

Hi Bob,

On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 21:00:33 GMT

> > Your plan "Z" (Windows) does involve some money to spend, yes, and to cope
> > with frozen screens and/or blue screens for the rest of your time
> > at the keyboard.

> Only the 9x family, which no one really uses anymore. NT 5 and 5.5 are next
> to impossible to lock up.

Haven't got experience with the NT series so far, Bob.

But, for the private user - is it worth to buy an $$$ MS NT-whatsoever outfit
when he can get the same performance with a no charge Linux?

Setting up all the Linux stuff certainly does mean more *, s. & t. than
an MS Win NT exercise but first) he's got it for free and second) after all the
beginner's pain he KNOWS what he's running and he knows how to REPAIR and
how to MAINTAIN whenever necessary.

What d'ya think?

Reg's,

Hans.

XLS-files

Post by Bob » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 08:13:54

Quote:

> Haven't got experience with the NT series so far, Bob.

> But, for the private user - is it worth to buy an $$$ MS NT-whatsoever
outfit
> when he can get the same performance with a no charge Linux?

I think life is a lot simpler, and you have tons of ease of use using
windows XP. Tons of hardware support, tons of software. I don't dig all the
esoteric *about using Linux and GNU and all the tons of headache and
messing around and all the silly command line crap, and configurations
involved. dead simple, painless and 100% working with XP. plus, who said
anything about actually buying XP, or the software? :) windows is free too,
as well as office and 1,000's of other apps. only an idiot would buy any of
it.

XLS-files

Post by Hans Voge » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 14:21:12

On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 23:13:54 GMT

> I think life is a lot simpler, and you have tons of ease of use using
> windows XP. Tons of hardware support, tons of software. I don't dig all the
> esoteric *about using Linux and GNU and all the tons of headache and
> messing around and all the silly command line crap, and configurations
> involved. dead simple, painless and 100% working with XP. plus, who said
> anything about actually buying XP, or the software? :) windows is free too,
> as well as office and 1,000's of other apps. only an idiot would buy any of
> it.

Hmm, maybe MS' policy is different in the U.S. - here you'll get XP only FOC
as a preinstalled OEM bundle when you buy a new machine.
The software is physically "dongled" to the machine, i.e. it's not easy to
run it on another one. Moreover, that would be considered as piracy as
well - break of MS' EULA.

I agree that using XP would be simpler. But only if he buys himself a
new machine with XP preinstalled.

To buy a XP or NT single copy (don't know their retail prices) and to set it up
could be as much pain as installing a Debian Woody.

So, I fully ACK your saying: "Only an idiot would buy any of it." ;-))

Reg's,

Hans.

XLS-files

Post by Bob » Fri, 11 Apr 2003 06:39:07

well really only folks that don't know PC's & OS's would ever dream of
buying an off the self pre-installed OS and PC. Just pirate XP and be done
with it. MS couldn't careless about the home user. They only come down on
Corp. licenses. you can download XP from a 1000 sites. office and 1000 other
apps as well. i would never in a million years buy any os.