Alpha status of GEOS and OS/2 documentation

Alpha status of GEOS and OS/2 documentation

Post by Andreas Bollhalde » Tue, 27 May 2003 23:53:23

Hi together,

I startet a documentation for running GEOS under OS/2. At the moment, it's
really rudimentary and need a lot of work. But if someone will try it too,
it contains some helpfull file listings and configurations.

http://www.yoyu-productions.ch/geos/OS2/

As a second, I found an "old" doc about the EtherODI driver with GEOS 4.x.
It needs too be updated. I will see when I have time.

http://www.yoyu-productions.ch/geos/ODI/

Andreas

Alpha status of GEOS and OS/2 documentation

Post by Andreas Bollhalde » Tue, 27 May 2003 23:56:10

With that configuration, NDO2000 is running on my laptop with full grafics
and sound. It lacks of the support of a CDROM, because my laptop doesn't
have any.

Andreas

Post by Bent Nielse » Wed, 28 May 2003 01:16:23

> Hi together,

> I startet a documentation for running GEOS under OS/2. At the moment, it's
> really rudimentary and need a lot of work. But if someone will try it too,
> it contains some helpfull file listings and configurations.

> http://www.yoyu-productions.ch/geos/OS2/

Whay all that troble

install OS2 warp XX ore the new eComStation 1.1 and the wdm  and run the
install ( not run the setup)

edit the geos ini

[system]
serialnumber = xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
fs = ms4.geo

[system]
serialnumber = xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
fs = os2.geo

and then run the setup on Breadbox Ensemble  after this and the the geos
run.

I have run Newdeal and the Breadbox Ensemble on  all OS2 warp xx

I like the Warp 3 Connect and a Newdeal 98x 2000 ore Breadbox Ensemble xx

I use the Breadbox Ensmble and a  net card to the geos tcp and a other
to OS/2 xx and all run ok

Alpha status of GEOS and OS/2 documentation

Post by Bob » Wed, 28 May 2003 01:00:39

not a big deal as most anything on a cd-rom is useless for geos.

Quote:> With that configuration, NDO2000 is running on my laptop with full grafics
> and sound. It lacks of the support of a CDROM, because my laptop doesn't
> have any.

> Andreas

Alpha status of GEOS and OS/2 documentation

Post by Andreas Bollhalde » Wed, 28 May 2003 19:39:47

Hello Bent,

The reason is, that I want the GEOS to be the only GUI on the laptop. I
don't wanna use the PM and WPS and only want the needed files on the drive.

Other prefer others.

What do you mean with WDM ? Should this be the VDM, Virtual DOS Machine ?

Do you needed to specify something special for GEOS getting networked ? It
is of real interesst for me.

Thanks to all.

Andreas

Post by Bent Nielse » Thu, 29 May 2003 00:20:16

> Hello Bent,

> The reason is, that I want the GEOS to be the only GUI on the laptop. I
> don't wanna use the PM and WPS and only want the needed files on the drive.

> Other prefer others.

> What do you mean with WDM ? Should this be the VDM, Virtual DOS Machine ?

> Do you needed to specify something special for GEOS getting networked ? It
> is of real interesst for me.

> Thanks to all.

> Andreas

>>>Hi together,

>>>I startet a documentation for running GEOS under OS/2. At the moment,

> it's

>>>really rudimentary and need a lot of work. But if someone will try it

> too,

>>>it contains some helpfull file listings and configurations.

>>>http://www.yoyu-productions.ch/geos/OS2/

>>Whay all that troble

>>install OS2 warp XX ore the new eComStation 1.1 and the wdm  and run the
>>install ( not run the setup)

>>edit the geos ini

>>[system]
>>serialnumber = xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
>>fs = ms4.geo

>>[system]
>>serialnumber = xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
>>fs = os2.geo

>>and then run the setup on Breadbox Ensemble  after this and the the geos
>>run.

>>I have run Newdeal and the Breadbox Ensemble on  all OS2 warp xx

>>I like the Warp 3 Connect and a Newdeal 98x 2000 ore Breadbox Ensemble xx

>>I use the Breadbox Ensmble and a  net card to the geos tcp and a other
>>to OS/2 xx and all run ok

 >Send me a email  ore you ICQ. All hotmail.com and yahoo.com   go to
the del filter on the mailserver  and no read this mail.

Alpha status of GEOS and OS/2 documentation

Post by Ray Green » Thu, 29 May 2003 16:31:32

On Mon, 26 May 2003 16:53:23 +0200, "Andreas Bollhalder" <no-spam-please>

Quote:>Hi together,

>I startet a documentation for running GEOS under OS/2. At the moment, it's
>really rudimentary and need a lot of work. But if someone will try it too,
>it contains some helpfull file listings and configurations.

>http://www.yoyu-productions.ch/geos/OS2/

This is good stuff Andreas. Do you know if it will work on Warp 3?

Quote:>As a second, I found an "old" doc about the EtherODI driver with GEOS 4.x.
>It needs too be updated. I will see when I have time.

>http://www.yoyu-productions.ch/geos/ODI/

Ray Greene.

Alpha status of GEOS and OS/2 documentation

Post by Andreas Bollhalde » Fri, 30 May 2003 01:58:30

Hi Ray,

I can't test it under Warp 3 because I don't have it anymore :(
But I will still work again for getting the still having problems away.

The main problems are:
- The video mode isn't switched when switching away from the GEOS
- I can't access the floppy, NIC and ASPI. The system lock up, even OS/2 has
no driver loaded.

Additional research is needed around some updates for timer0.sys and
clock01.sys, where some special version exist to give more accuracy. And
even a generic Sound Blaster driver for WINOS/2 session will maybe work for
a VDM.

I will update the information.

Andreas

Post by Bent Nielse » Fri, 30 May 2003 03:43:55

> On Mon, 26 May 2003 16:53:23 +0200, "Andreas Bollhalder" <no-spam-please>

>>Hi together,

>>I startet a documentation for running GEOS under OS/2. At the moment, it's
>>really rudimentary and need a lot of work. But if someone will try it too,
>>it contains some helpfull file listings and configurations.

>>http://www.yoyu-productions.ch/geos/OS2/

> This is good stuff Andreas. Do you know if it will work on Warp 3?

What you whis to know about warp 3 ?? Geos run on it?
The dos box can use the hardware on the PC if OS2 not use it then the
dos driver can use it and if the OS2 use it then it neead virtuel driver.

I have use Warp and SB16 and have a virtuel driver to the SB16 and use
saund on GEOS.

If you whis to use a netcard then add a other netcard to the geos and
the run it The geso tcp get a other IP from the DHCP ore you set it up

One of the last BBE can use DHCP ore a setup IP

I have use a SCSI car to WINOS2 whren it use a *.sys driver loadet on
the dosbox and then the scanner have a win 3.1 driver and the it run

To day use I a Virtuel PC and windows 98 on that and the sharre the ltp1
and the windows98 driver use the scanner at that way.

Not a 386 driver run on a OS2 DOS BOX.

Need you more help then aske and I try to help.

Have Warp 3 Warp winso2 warp3 Connect Warp 4 Warp 4 server and the new
eComstation 1.1 = The Operating System/2 Version is 4.50 Revision 14.093

Alpha status of GEOS and OS/2 documentation

Post by Ray Green » Fri, 30 May 2003 18:53:50

On Wed, 28 May 2003 18:58:30 +0200, "Andreas Bollhalder" <no-spam-please>

Quote:>Hi Ray,

>I can't test it under Warp 3 because I don't have it anymore :(
>But I will still work again for getting the still having problems away.

>The main problems are:
>- The video mode isn't switched when switching away from the GEOS
>- I can't access the floppy, NIC and ASPI. The system lock up, even OS/2 has
>no driver loaded.

>Additional research is needed around some updates for timer0.sys and
>clock01.sys, where some special version exist to give more accuracy. And
>even a generic Sound Blaster driver for WINOS/2 session will maybe work for
>a VDM.

>I will update the information.

I'll be looking forward to it :-)

I can probably get a cheap 2nd hand copy of Warp 4 if I need to. When I get
time I will try your modifications on Warp 3 and see if it works.

Ray Greene.

Post by Ray Green » Fri, 30 May 2003 19:07:26

>What you whis to know about warp 3 ?? Geos run on it?
>The dos box can use the hardware on the PC if OS2 not use it then the
>dos driver can use it and if the OS2 use it then it neead virtuel driver.

>I have use Warp and SB16 and have a virtuel driver to the SB16 and use
>saund on GEOS.

>If you whis to use a netcard then add a other netcard to the geos and
>the run it The geso tcp get a other IP from the DHCP ore you set it up

>One of the last BBE can use DHCP ore a setup IP

>I have use a SCSI car to WINOS2 whren it use a *.sys driver loadet on
>the dosbox and then the scanner have a win 3.1 driver and the it run

>To day use I a Virtuel PC and windows 98 on that and the sharre the ltp1
>and the windows98 driver use the scanner at that way.

>Not a 386 driver run on a OS2 DOS BOX.

>Need you more help then aske and I try to help.

>Have Warp 3 Warp winso2 warp3 Connect Warp 4 Warp 4 server and the new
>eComstation 1.1 = The Operating System/2 Version is 4.50 Revision 14.093

Hi Bent,

I have run GEOS under Warp 3 before and I was very impressed with OS/2s
stability as a DOS emulator. I was using a couple of other graphical DOS apps
along with GEOS and it was nice being able to switch between them cleanly
when I couldn't do it reliably under MS or DR DOS.

I wondered at the time if it was possible to run OS/2 without a GUI, but I
know very little about OS/2 so I didn't try to do it myself. I'm really just
looking for a better DOS.

I don't have much time to play with it just now, but it's on my list of
things to do :-)

I'll get in touch when I start rebuilding my OS/2 machine, I think I'm going
to need some help.

Your system sounds very impressive.

Ray Greene.

Alpha status of GEOS and OS/2 documentation

Post by Andreas Bollhalde » Sat, 31 May 2003 23:45:04

Hi Bent,

I have installed again a full version of Warp 4 and Fixpack 15. The problems
still occurs.
I even can't read a floppy from within GEOS. GEOS would hang if so done.
Disk and CD-ROM access is working. I also tried to use a network card. When
I start Skipper, GEOS hangs. I got the VASPI driver loading, but when I
start a scan from within GEOS, the whole system crashes with a Trap.

I think I have set some general settings of the VDM wrong. I include my
settings here. If you could have a look and compare with your settings, I
would be glad about it.

Andreas

AUDIO_ADAPTER_SHARING     = Required
COM_DIRECT_ACCESS         = On
COM_HOLD                  = Off
COM_RECEIVE_BUFFER_FLUSH  = None
COM_SELECT                = All
DOS_AUTOEXEC              = C:\ENSEMBLE\AUTOEXEC.BAT
DOS_BACKGROUND_EXECUTION  = On
DOS_BREAK                 = Off
DOS_DEVICE                =
DOS_FCBS                  = 0
DOS_FCBS_KEEP             = 0
DOS_FILES                 = 128
DOS_HIGH                  = On
DOS_LASTDRIVE             = E
DOS_RMSIZE                = 640
DOS_SHELL                 = C:\OS2\MDOS\COMMAND.COM C:\OS2\MDOS
DOS_STARTUP_DRIVE         =
DOS_UMB                   = On
DOS_VERSION               =
DPMI_DOS_API              = DISABLED
DPMI_MEMORY_LIMIT         = 0
DPMI_NETWORK_BUFF_SIZE    = 1
EMS_FRAME_LOCATION        = AUTO
EMS_HIGH_OS_MAP_REGION    = 0
EMS_LOW_OS_MAP_REGION     = 384
EMS_MEMORY_LIMIT          = 0
HW_NOSOUND                = Off
HW_ROM_TO_RAM             = Off
HW_TIMER                  = On
IDLE_SECONDS              = 0
IDLE_SENSITIVITY          = 100
INT_DURING_IO             = On
KBD_ALTHOME_BYPASS        = Off
KBD_BUFFER_EXTEND         = On
KBD_CTRL_BYPASS           = NONE
KBD_RATE_LOCK             = Off
MEM_EXCLUDE_REGIONS       =
MEM_INCLUDE_REGIONS       =
MOUSE_EXCLUSIVE_ACCESS    = Off
PRINT_SEPERATE_OUTPUT     = Off
PRINT_TIMEOUT             = 15
SESSION_PRIORITY          = 32
VIDEO_8514A_XGA_IOTRAP    = Off
VIDEO_FASTPASTE           = Off
VIDEO_MODE_RESTRICTION    = NONE
VIDEO_ONDEMAND_MEMORY     = Off
VIDEO_RETRACE_EMULATION   = Off
VIDEO_ROM_EMULATION       = Off
VIDEO_SWITCH_NOTIFICATION = Off
VIDEO_WINDOW_REFRESH      = 1
XMS_HANDLES               = 32
XMS_MEMORY_LIMIT          = 8192
XMS_MINIMUM_HMA           = 0

Alpha status of GEOS and OS/2 documentation

Post by bo.. » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 02:19:10

Hi Bent,

I retried to access the floppy and GEOS has only about 3 minutes to read in the 8 files on the floppy disk. I believed that it has been locked, but it only need that long.

Andreas

Quote:>Hi Bent,

Post by Bent Nielse » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 05:59:50

Andreas Bollhalder wrote:
> Hi Bent,

> I have installed again a full version of Warp 4 and Fixpack 15. The problems
> still occurs.
> I even can't read a floppy from within GEOS. GEOS would hang if so done.
> Disk and CD-ROM access is working. I also tried to use a network card. When
> I start Skipper, GEOS hangs. I got the VASPI driver loading, but when I
> start a scan from within GEOS, the whole system crashes with a Trap.

What netcard use you to the OS2??

You vcan not use the netcard there a driver on OS2 load.

OS2 use a PCI realtek 8139 netcard

GEOS use a ISA realtek 8019

I have use this and a Warp 4.50

copy from OS2 config.sys

files=120
DOS=HIGH,UMB

all other on the long condig.sys  have i not chance  to get it to run

The autoexec.bat
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $i$p$g
REM SET DELDIR=C:\DELETE,512;D:\DELETE,512;
SET WIN3DIR=C:\OS2\MDOS\WINOS2
PATH=C:\OS2;C:\OS2\MDOS;C:\;C:\OS2\MDOS\WINOS2;C:\TCPIP\DOS\BIN;
LOADHIGH APPEND C:\OS2;C:\OS2\SYSTEM
SET TMP=C:\
REM LOADHIGH DOSKEY FINDFILE=DIR /A /S /B $*
REM DOSKEY EDIT=QBASIC/EDITOR $*
REM SET DIRCMD=/A
SET TEMP=C:\OS2\MDOS\WINOS2\TEMP
SET ETC=C:\TCPIP\DOS\ETC
rem D:\ENSEMBLE\GEOSNET\LSL.COM
rem D:\ENSEMBLE\GEOSNET\PNPODI.COM
LOADHIGH C:\OS2\MDOS\2gbfix.com  ( this is to use when a dos have troble
when the disk can store  more that 2 GB then all dos can run)
(there is a tool more if the dos use all the CPU)

LOADHIGH D:\ENSEMBLE.xxx\GEOSNET\LSL.COM
LOADHIGH D:\ENSEMBLE.xxx\GEOSNET\PNPODI.COM

rem DOS commands which must be executed before
rem running Ensemble may be placed here.
rem The following line will run Ensemble with
rem any flags passed to this batch file.
loader %1 %2 %3 %4
:END

net.cfg
LINK DRIVER PNPODI

#****************************************************************************
# Keyword 'ETHERID' is only required if more than one 8019 adapters existed.
#****************************************************************************
# ETHERID 00A1020305DF

# NODE ADDRESS 00A10203044D
         Frame Ethernet_II
         PROTOCOL IP 800 ETHERNET_II
         PROTOCOL ARP 806 ETHERNET_II

If you use the lastes Ensemble then you not edit the geos to use the
netcard, but set it up to use modem and the restart geos and then chace
it to use ODI Network from  Dial-up

you must set it up a phone number  12345678 ore what ever
If you not add a phone number the the set up  work

save and the chance it to ODI netvork and restart when it aske to that
and then it run

I think  Hans can help you to setup the net.cfg

I can use all the printer on the  peer net and acess to all drive and
cdrom and the drive A

I can run on the internet when I use OS2 tcp and the GEOS TCP on the
other netcard and it run ok.
There is some troble on the ftp clent

This is my settings whern the geos run from

s=DCF
i=Ensemblexxx - Settings
p=COM_DIRECT_ACCESS
t=0
v=1  On
d=0  Off

p=COM_HOLD
t=0
v=0  Off
d=1  On

p=COM_RECEIVE_BUFFER_FLUSH
t=2
v=NONE
d=1  On

p=COM_SELECT
t=2
v= ALL
d=1  On

p=DOS_AUTOEXEC
t=3
v=C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT
d=1  On

p=DOS_BACKGROUND_EXECUTION
t=0
v=1  On
d=1  On

p=DOS_BREAK
t=0
v=0  Off
d=1  On

p=DOS_DEVICE
t=4
v=
d=0  Off

p=DOS_FCBS
t=1
v=16
d=1  On

p=DOS_FCBS_KEEP
t=1
v=8
d=1  On

p=DOS_FILES
t=1
v=120
d=1  On

p=DOS_HIGH
t=0
v=1  On
d=0  Off

p=DOS_LASTDRIVE
t=3
v=Z
d=1  On

p=DOS_RMSIZE
t=1
v=640
d=1  On

p=DOS_SHELL
t=3
v=C:\OS2\MDOS\COMMAND.COM C:\OS2\MDOS
d=1  On

p=DOS_STARTUP_DRIVE
t=3
v=
d=1  On

p=DOS_UMB
t=0
v=1  On
d=0  Off

p=DOS_VERSION
t=4
v=DCJSS02.EXE,3,40,255
v=DFIA0MOD.SYS,3,40,255
v=DXMA0MOD.SYS,3,40,255
v=EXCEL.EXE,10,10,4
v=IBMCACHE.COM,3,40,255
v=IBMCACHE.SYS,3,40,255
v=ISAM.EXE,3,40,255
v=ISAM2.EXE,3,40,255
v=ISQL.EXE,3,40,255
v=MSD.EXE,5,00,255
v=NET3.COM,3,40,255
v=NETX.COM,4,00,255
v=NETX.EXE,5,00,255
v=PSCPG.COM,3,40,255
v=SAF.EXE,3,40,255
v=WIN200.BIN,10,10,4
d=1  On

p=DPMI_DOS_API
t=2
v=AUTO
d=1  On

p=DPMI_MEMORY_LIMIT
t=1
v=16
d=1  On

p=DPMI_NETWORK_BUFF_SIZE
t=1
v=8
d=1  On

p=EMS_FRAME_LOCATION
t=2
v=AUTO
d=1  On

p=EMS_HIGH_OS_MAP_REGION
t=1
v=0
d=1  On

p=EMS_LOW_OS_MAP_REGION
t=1
v=384
d=1  On

p=EMS_MEMORY_LIMIT
t=1
v=4096
d=0  Off

p=HW_NOSOUND
t=0
v=0  Off
d=1  On

p=HW_ROM_TO_RAM
t=0
v=0  Off
d=1  On

p=HW_TIMER
t=0
v=1  On
d=0  Off

p=IDLE_SECONDS
t=1
v=5
d=0  Off

p=IDLE_SENSITIVITY
t=1
v=75
d=1  On

p=INT_DURING_IO
t=0
v=1  On
d=0  Off

p=KBD_ALTHOME_BYPASS
t=0
v=0  Off
d=1  On

p=KBD_BUFFER_EXTEND
t=0
v=1  On
d=1  On

p=KBD_CTRL_BYPASS
t=2
v=NONE
d=1  On

p=KBD_RATE_LOCK
t=0
v=0  Off
d=1  On

p=MEM_EXCLUDE_REGIONS
t=3
v=
d=1  On

p=MEM_INCLUDE_REGIONS
t=3
v=
d=1  On

p=MOUSE_EXCLUSIVE_ACCESS
t=0
v=0  Off
d=1  On

p=PRINT_SEPARATE_OUTPUT
t=0
v=1  On
d=1  On

p=PRINT_TIMEOUT
t=1
v=15
d=1  On

p=SESSION_PRIORITY
t=1
v=1
d=1  On

p=VIDEO_8514A_XGA_IOTRAP
t=0
v=0  Off
d=0  Off

p=VIDEO_FASTPASTE
t=0
v=0  Off
d=1  On

p=VIDEO_MODE_RESTRICTION
t=2
v=NONE
d=1  On

p=VIDEO_ONDEMAND_MEMORY
t=0
v=1  On
d=1  On

p=VIDEO_RETRACE_EMULATION
t=0
v=0  Off
d=1  On

p=VIDEO_ROM_EMULATION
t=0
v=1  On
d=1  On

p=VIDEO_SWITCH_NOTIFICATION
t=0
v=0  Off
d=1  On

p=VIDEO_WINDOW_REFRESH
t=1
v=1
d=1  On

p=XMS_HANDLES
t=1
v=32
d=1  On

p=XMS_MEMORY_LIMIT
t=1
v=4096
d=0  Off

p=XMS_MINIMUM_HMA
t=1
v=0
d=1  On

> I think I have set some general settings of the VDM wrong. I include my
> settings here. If you could have a look and compare with your settings, I
> would be glad about it.

> Andreas

> AUDIO_ADAPTER_SHARING     = Required
> COM_DIRECT_ACCESS         = On
> COM_HOLD                  = Off
> COM_RECEIVE_BUFFER_FLUSH  = None
> COM_SELECT                = All
> DOS_AUTOEXEC              = C:\ENSEMBLE\AUTOEXEC.BAT
> DOS_BACKGROUND_EXECUTION  = On
> DOS_BREAK                 = Off
> DOS_DEVICE                =
> DOS_FCBS                  = 0
> DOS_FCBS_KEEP             = 0
> DOS_FILES                 = 128
> DOS_HIGH                  = On
> DOS_LASTDRIVE             = E
> DOS_RMSIZE                = 640
> DOS_SHELL                 = C:\OS2\MDOS\COMMAND.COM C:\OS2\MDOS
> DOS_STARTUP_DRIVE         =
> DOS_UMB                   = On
> DOS_VERSION               =
> DPMI_DOS_API              = DISABLED
> DPMI_MEMORY_LIMIT         = 0
> DPMI_NETWORK_BUFF_SIZE    = 1
> EMS_FRAME_LOCATION        = AUTO
> EMS_HIGH_OS_MAP_REGION    = 0
> EMS_LOW_OS_MAP_REGION     = 384
> EMS_MEMORY_LIMIT          = 0
> HW_NOSOUND                = Off
> HW_ROM_TO_RAM             = Off
> HW_TIMER                  = On
> IDLE_SECONDS              = 0
> IDLE_SENSITIVITY          = 100
> INT_DURING_IO             = On
> KBD_ALTHOME_BYPASS        = Off
> KBD_BUFFER_EXTEND         = On
> KBD_CTRL_BYPASS           = NONE
> KBD_RATE_LOCK             = Off
> MEM_EXCLUDE_REGIONS       =
> MEM_INCLUDE_REGIONS       =
> MOUSE_EXCLUSIVE_ACCESS    = Off
> PRINT_SEPERATE_OUTPUT     = Off
> PRINT_TIMEOUT             = 15
> SESSION_PRIORITY          = 32
> VIDEO_8514A_XGA_IOTRAP    = Off
> VIDEO_FASTPASTE           = Off
> VIDEO_MODE_RESTRICTION    = NONE
> VIDEO_ONDEMAND_MEMORY     = Off
> VIDEO_RETRACE_EMULATION   = Off
> VIDEO_ROM_EMULATION       = Off
> VIDEO_SWITCH_NOTIFICATION = Off
> VIDEO_WINDOW_REFRESH      = 1
> XMS_HANDLES               = 32
> XMS_MEMORY_LIMIT          = 8192
> XMS_MINIMUM_HMA           = 0

Alpha status of GEOS and OS/2 documentation

Post by Bent Nielse » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 06:04:25

Quote:> you must set it up a phone number  12345678 ore what ever
> If you not add a phone number the the set up  work

sorry  wrong

If you not add a phone number the the set up not work