NDO 3.2a upgrade patch and bonus

Post by Hans Lindgre » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 06:31:22

The NDO 3.2a upgrade patch and bonus pack is now
available to download at the download section of:

http://www.tvakatter.org

- Hans

NDO 3.2a upgrade patch and bonus

Post by Douglas A. Tayl » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 22:17:15

Quote:>The NDO 3.2a upgrade patch and bonus pack is now
>available to download at the download section of:

>http://www.tvakatter.org

Thanks, Hans.  Err, what does it do?
--
   Doug Taylor                         |   Nothing real can be threatened.
   The Ohio State University           |   Nothing unreal exists.

NDO 3.2a upgrade patch and bonus

Post by Han » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 23:04:48

Thu, 17 Jan 2002 13:17:15 +0000 (UTC) :

>>The NDO 3.2a upgrade patch and bonus pack is now
>>available to download at the download section of:

>>http://www.tvakatter.org

>Thanks, Hans.  Err, what does it do?

It's for upgrading from NDO eval 3.0 to 3.2a.

The 3.0 was the last NDO eval package which could be downloaded from
the NewDeal ftp site before they closed.

Reg's,

Hans

(Hans Voges, not Hans Lindgren)

NDO 3.2a upgrade patch and bonus

Post by ZenGE » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 00:23:16

Quote:>It's for upgrading from NDO eval 3.0 to 3.2a.

>The 3.0 was the last NDO eval package which could be downloaded from
>the NewDeal ftp site before they closed.

Actually, the 3.2a upgrade patch shoul ONLY be used in upgrading ND 3.0 to
3.2a.  It shouldn't be used to upgrade the Evaluation version to 3.2a.

Mark-

Post by Tom Accuost » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 01:57:20

| Thu, 17 Jan 2002 13:17:15 +0000 (UTC) :
|

| >>The NDO 3.2a upgrade patch and bonus pack is now
| >>available to download at the download section of:
| >>
| >>http://www.veryComputer.com/
| >
| >Thanks, Hans.  Err, what does it do?
|
| It's for upgrading from NDO eval 3.0 to 3.2a.
|
| The 3.0 was the last NDO eval package which could be downloaded from
| the NewDeal ftp site before they closed.

Hans -

Do I understand this correctly? This patch will upgrade those of use
with Eval versions to the "full" 3.2a versions?

Actually, I have found the eval version to be quite full-featured
anyway. Once I figured out how to disable the 45 day timer (not rocket
science) and how to use the old Geos2.0 spell and ImpEx filters (needed
help with that one) then I found that it was great. That, plus Ed diG's
Edit
Plus program is one of the best text editors that you could want and it
runs
just fine on the Eval version. Couldn't use my Win modem, of course,
but I have a few old external modems* around -
just never bothered trying them.

What more could there be in the 3.2a that there wasn't in the 3.0 eval?
Just asking.

Tom

NDO 3.2a upgrade patch and bonus

Post by Hans H. Vog » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 04:32:05

16:57:20 GMT :

Quote:>| It's for upgrading from NDO eval 3.0 to 3.2a.

>| The 3.0 was the last NDO eval package which could be downloaded from
>| the NewDeal ftp site before they closed.

>Hans -

>Do I understand this correctly? This patch will upgrade those of use
>with Eval versions to the "full" 3.2a versions?

Tom :

Sorry, I should have expressed myself more correctly:

That patch upgrades 3.0 EVAL to 3.2a EVAL, but not to a "registered"
or "full" version.

I 'upgraded' my 3.0 eval myself to 3.2a eval. The 45 days restriction
still applies, and it's still an eval, but as you mentioned already,
there's no rocket science involved to cope with the 45 days, etc.

The major (visible) steps between 3.0 and 3.2 are the enlarged import
flters, and the keyboard drivers. There certainly is a lot of
bugfixing in it which is hardly noticeable. Well, at least not for a
dumb user like me. A programmer certainly will see the difference.

Probably, the upgrade 3.0 > 3.2a does not provide too much new
features for U.S. users. For the foreigners like me, it's really
valuable because there are a lot of non-US keyboard drivers in it, and
particularly the IMPEX stuff which I hadn't in 3.0

Quote:>Actually, I have found the eval version to be quite full-featured
>anyway.

Yep.

After having successfully imported my address database from a Win32
app into NDO, I happily could enter another 'deltree this awful Win32
program' command into the stupid machine.

NDO's operating speed still amazes me. It does load within fractions
of a sec, and everything inside the NDO shell -if I may take this
synonym- runs at Speedy Gonzales level.

And there's no blue screens, so far.

Best Regards,

Hans H. Voges

(I have modified my answerback to the full name, hope it works now.
There's more than one "Hans" here.)

Post by Hans Lindgre » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 07:07:58

> Sorry, I should have expressed myself more correctly:

> That patch upgrades 3.0 EVAL to 3.2a EVAL, but not to a "registered"
> or "full" version.

That is not correct. The patch updates a full 3.0 version to a 3.2a full
version.
What it does to an evaluation version I have no clue, but the patch is not
intended to use to update an evaluation version.

- Hans, the real Hans ;-)

NDO 3.2a upgrade patch and bonus

Post by Hans H. Vog » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 14:50:55

22:07:58 GMT :

>> Sorry, I should have expressed myself more correctly:

>> That patch upgrades 3.0 EVAL to 3.2a EVAL, but not to a "registered"
>> or "full" version.

>That is not correct. The patch updates a full 3.0 version to a 3.2a full
>version.
>What it does to an evaluation version I have no clue, but the patch is not
>intended to use to update an evaluation version.

Hmm....

Well, I used this patch in conjunction with a 3.0 eval.
Now I've got a 3.2a eval.

It worked, but please don't ask me how - I have no idea :-)
I'm just a dumb user, not a programmer ;-)

I'm not quite aware of all the differences between the full version
(where the hell should I get one here in Europe?) and the evalution
package.

The eval lacks some features and is crippled somehow, that's what I
was told. And there is, of course, the 45 days restriction.

I am not using all the features of NDO, just NewWrite/Calc/Dex, and
NewFile. These components are, at least, fully functional for my
purposes. - There might be limitations in other components such as the
graphics portion, or the internet related parts.

Best Regards,

Hans.
[The other one ;-) ]

NDO 3.2a upgrade patch and bonus

Post by Tom Accuost » Mon, 28 Jan 2002 11:00:53

:
: >
: > Sorry, I should have expressed myself more correctly:
: >
: > That patch upgrades 3.0 EVAL to 3.2a EVAL, but not to a "registered"
: > or "full" version.
:
: That is not correct. The patch updates a full 3.0 version to a 3.2a
full
: version.
: What it does to an evaluation version I have no clue, but the patch is
not
: intended to use to update an evaluation version.

Well, I installed it, and guess what? I turned my pokey old Duron 700
into a blindingly fast workhorse! Now I can't *wait* to fire up ND and
get cranking at work!!

<smells coffee>

Oh, um, what I meant was that it turned my 3.0 eval into a 3.2 eval with
a couple of extra features that I won't use. I mean, the educational
games were cute, but I would need something on a graduate or PhD level.

I note that it didn't make my spreadsheets any more powerful, nor did I
get 1600 x 1200 or even 1280 x 1024 support (I just bought a 19"
monitor). I didn't notice anything more in the utility department, nor
did I see more options in the Preferences.

And it *still* doesn't work with my WinModem <g>.

Tom

NDO 3.2a upgrade patch and bonus

Post by Hans H. Vog » Mon, 28 Jan 2002 17:16:33

02:00:53 GMT :

Quote:>Oh, um, what I meant was that it turned my 3.0 eval into a 3.2 eval with
>a couple of extra features that I won't use. I mean, the educational
>games were cute, but I would need something on a graduate or PhD level.

>I note that it didn't make my spreadsheets any more powerful, nor did I
>get 1600 x 1200 or even 1280 x 1024 support (I just bought a 19"
>monitor). I didn't notice anything more in the utility department, nor
>did I see more options in the Preferences.

O yeah, NDO and graphics...
Sometimes, I'd like to have a little more than 256 colours, and an
enhanced screen resolution...
Maybe that NDO 2000 provides better screen features but who has ever
worked with NDO2000 ? Who's ever seen it ?  ;-)

----

A more or less hidden but valuable feature in 3.2a is the improved
import filter dept. (You only see it when clicking the "import" button
in the NewWrite/File/Calc startup screen).

In 3.0 (eval), the NewFile database could be only used for setting up
new "NewFile" data files since there was no import mechanism, not even
for data in the simple-pimple 80's-like CSV format.

The same applied to the spreadsheet NewCalc in v3.0.

In 3.2a eval, data import into NewCalc and NewFile now is possible in
CSV, dB III & IV, and some Lotus dialects.

3.0 (eval) NewWrite was only capable of importing plain ASCII text.

The 3.2a (eval) NewWrite now has a small set of import filters for
some common word processor formats. - Not for all of them, of course,
but there's e.g. an RTF import filter which is understood by any WP on
every platform. HTML is being reckoned and correctly interpreted, too.

Vice versa, also export is said to be possible in the same formats now
but I haven't used this feature yet.

Quote:>And it *still* doesn't work with my WinModem <g>.

(Sigh]
I even do not have a Win Modem, i.e. mine can be controlled by AT
commands.
But since it's an internal one -providing an onboard COM3-, NDO
ignores it...

It's not always easy having a good time ;-)

Regards,

Hans H. Voges.

NDO 3.2a upgrade patch and bonus

Post by Bob B » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 01:08:23

2002, and u can't get GEOS to "see" and "use" a modem on COM3? If DOS can
use it, GEOS can use it. Perhaps you just don't know what you are doing? Of
course if you are using PC/GEOS, one can rest assured you don't, as anyone
with common sense would never bother with it.

--
Bob

Quote:> (Sigh]
> I even do not have a Win Modem, i.e. mine can be controlled by AT
> commands.
> But since it's an internal one -providing an onboard COM3-, NDO
> ignores it...

> It's not always easy having a good time ;-)

> Regards,

> Hans H. Voges.

NDO 3.2a upgrade patch and bonus

Post by Mark Thompso » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 14:15:16

Quote:

> O yeah, NDO and graphics...
> Sometimes, I'd like to have a little more than 256 colours, and an
> enhanced screen resolution...

New Deal Office V3 & New Deal Eval 3 have 32k, 64k and true colour video
selection.