Living in the past

Living in the past

Post by Hans Lindgre » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 23:25:18



Well, my love to GEOS has been long, actually over ten years. It is not
a blind love, and I am not feeling like an extremist. In my job I am fed
and all fed up with MS-Windows, as my work is troubleshooting client/server
in LAN/WAN enviroment. Maybe I have only seen the backsides of Windows and
not much of the sunny side.
OTOH, Windows is a consultant-friendly OS and I will probably have my living
secured for the rest of my life ;-)

The wonder with GEOS is that so much can be done in real mode. That makes
me curious how it will look in a flat memory model. There are zillions of
things which can be improved in GEOS, but GEOS is there, and still works
pretty well in real mode, despite its limitations. Still using Geowrite/Writer
for privat letters, Artist for graphics and playing around with other graphic
stuff, like for example GEOS backgrounds. Making tool icons with Icon Editor.
Using Newsreader in GEOS to read this ng. Surfing with WebMagick, which works
well in most cases, despite the lack of javascript. Maintaining my record
(LPs CDs and MDs) db in GeoFile. Addresses in Addressbook. Well, the list
of my GEOS use is long. I have tried to move on to Windows, but its not a
vialble task for me, as moving to Windows is no actual gain, just a lot of
work, struggeling with buggy, badly designed import filters in Windows. I
have tried, I know.
Just moving my Adressbook to Outlook, was a project that failed due to the
lacking import in Outlook. So I will most probably use GEOS as long as it
fills its tasks for me. I am actually using GEOS more than Windows, as most
of my data is in GEOS formats and that is no problem for me. If there will
be a GEOS32, and it fills all my needs, I will most probably move to 100%
GEOS32. But that is in the future, and we will have to see what happens.

BR,
Hans  




> | Helene,
> |
> | There are only a few of the Geo Extremists left and they are the ones
> | who will go down with the ship. One thing about an extremist, they
> | are hard of hearing and don't read all the words on the page very
> | well. Also, they are, on occasion, purposefully illogical and
> | unwilling to make waves. They don't dance, they goose step. And
> | finally, they have a deep sense of being part of a cult, like all
> | those poor souls who drank the Kool-Aid at Jones Town.

> Geez, Pat, that's pretty harsh!

> GW users are really just like any other "cults" in some ways. In the US,
> I've been in many Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge arguments. My cousin likes RV
> camping, I prefer tenting. Some friends of mine prefer taking a cruise
> to a vacation spot, I prefer to fly. In the long run, as long as someone
> does something for their personal enjoyment, then it doesn't really
> matter.

> Personally, will confess to receiving a little guilty pleasure in
> arguing against the die-hard GW users. When I look at my posts over the
> years, and think about my enjoyment in using GW, I'm surprised that I
do
> this. I still think that GW is cool, but probably not in the way that
> Hans and Chip do. Rather, I think that it's cool in the same way that
I
> think my Visual Commuter 8086 1.4mhz  512k dual floppy "portable" is
> cool. Or the way that I think a 1960's vintage Fiat Spider is cool. It's
> not practical, but the pleasant memory lingers on. My cousin is
> rebuilding an old Datsun 1600 roadster. Not practical for everyday use,
> but nice for a spin around the lake on a sunny afternoon.

> Aw, jeez, I just realized that now someone is goign to start on how GW
> *is* practical for everyday use. Sure, if my cousin only needed to drive
> a couple of miles to the store and back, his Datsun is "practical" as
> well. But it's only practical for a very limited market. Sadly or not,
> NDO is not even competiton for the more robust Win and Linux office
> suites (BTW, I just d/loaded OpenOffice, but haven't installed it yet),
> and it never will be again. It's long lost the potential to be a
> "contender". Not because it doesn't do what it's supposed to, but
> because the market has moved in a different direction.

> Tom

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Hans Lindgre » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 23:27:29


I doubt that you will ever be let in.....like in the third world bar..........

BR,
Hans


> Helene is a GEOS legend. I've used her stuff back in the early '90s, when
> people were swarming all over the Geoworks forum on AOL, and I think she
can
> take a poke in the ribs without crying. Why did she post in the first
place?
> Answer: To take a jab, and for no other reason. And she did sign-on to
the
> notion that the EXIT is where non believers should head, when its clearly
> inappropriate for an open public Newsgroup to pretend its a closed
> Newsgroup. Now if I posted my feelings on that private Katter site, I
think
> it would be like walking into a bar, in a seedy section of some third
world
> country. Translation: Not too friendly to outsiders, if ya know what I
mean.
> <g>





> > | Helene,
> > |
> > | There are only a few of the Geo Extremists left and they are the ones
> > | who will go down with the ship. One thing about an extremist, they
> > | are hard of hearing and don't read all the words on the page very
> > | well. Also, they are, on occasion, purposefully illogical and
> > | unwilling to make waves. They don't dance, they goose step. And
> > | finally, they have a deep sense of being part of a cult, like all
> > | those poor souls who drank the Kool-Aid at Jones Town.

> > Geez, Pat, that's pretty harsh!

> > GW users are really just like any other "cults" in some ways. In the
US,
> > I've been in many Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge arguments. My cousin likes
RV
> > camping, I prefer tenting. Some friends of mine prefer taking a cruise
> > to a vacation spot, I prefer to fly. In the long run, as long as someone
> > does something for their personal enjoyment, then it doesn't really
> > matter.

> > Personally, will confess to receiving a little guilty pleasure in
> > arguing against the die-hard GW users. When I look at my posts over
the
> > years, and think about my enjoyment in using GW, I'm surprised that
I do
> > this. I still think that GW is cool, but probably not in the way that
> > Hans and Chip do. Rather, I think that it's cool in the same way that
I
> > think my Visual Commuter 8086 1.4mhz  512k dual floppy "portable" is
> > cool. Or the way that I think a 1960's vintage Fiat Spider is cool.
It's
> > not practical, but the pleasant memory lingers on. My cousin is
> > rebuilding an old Datsun 1600 roadster. Not practical for everyday use,
> > but nice for a spin around the lake on a sunny afternoon.

> > Aw, jeez, I just realized that now someone is goign to start on how
GW
> > *is* practical for everyday use. Sure, if my cousin only needed to drive
> > a couple of miles to the store and back, his Datsun is "practical" as
> > well. But it's only practical for a very limited market. Sadly or not,
> > NDO is not even competiton for the more robust Win and Linux office
> > suites (BTW, I just d/loaded OpenOffice, but haven't installed it yet),
> > and it never will be again. It's long lost the potential to be a
> > "contender". Not because it doesn't do what it's supposed to, but
> > because the market has moved in a different direction.

> > Tom


 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Ray Kopczyns » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 23:50:18


<< Yes, all the people who read but don't want to post because they don't want
to be associated with Geo Extremists. ;-) >>

Nah -- most folks simply ignore the bigoted diatribes and simply glean
pertinent information when it is asked/posted by folks.  Although an enjoyable
read to pass the time, there's no need to join the fray for most folks.  You'll
see the same thing in most local newspapers -- the same names over & over again
in the "Letters to the Editor" section.  Long discussions(?) over time there
too.

Ray

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Hans Lindgre » Mon, 16 Jun 2003 02:04:08


Or maybe with you?

BR,
Hans


> Yes, all the people who read but don't want to post because they don't
want
> to be associated with Geo Extremists. ;-)



> > Pat, have you ever heard of the silent majority?

> > Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

> > BR,
> > Hans


> > > Helene,

> > > There are only a few of the Geo Extremists left and they are the ones
> > who
> > > will go down with the ship. One thing about an extremist, they are
hard
> > of
> > > hearing and don't read all the words on the page very well. Also,
they
> > are,
> > > on occasion, purposefully illogical and unwilling to make waves. They
> > don't
> > > dance, they goose step. And finally, they have a deep sense of being
> part
> > of
> > > a cult, like all those poor souls who drank the Kool-Aid at Jones
Town.




Laux)

> > > > >Yes we are, but people take different approaches:

> > > > >I am happy to use what is there and maintain the faint hope that
> there
> > > > >may be some major noew development one day.

> > > > >Other people just go away because GEOS no longer fits their needs.

> > > > >However, you and Bob are a riddle, because you rant and rave all
the
> > > > >time that it's over and why are we still interested etc. pp. -
But
> > you
> > > > >don't come to a conclusion.

> > > > >This conclusion could take different forms: You could drop the
issue
> > > > >and go away (logical from what you say), you could take my approach
> > > > >and be happy with what is there (not likely, I gather) or you could
> > do
> > > > >something actively to improve the situation.

> > > > >At the moment, you are just wasting your time telling everyone
what
> > > > >they don't want to hear anymore (because you repeated it ad nauseam
> > > > >already)..

> > > > Hear, hear. Pat and Bob listen to that go away part.

> > > > Mvh Helene

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Bob » Mon, 16 Jun 2003 03:03:44



Quote:

> The wonder with GEOS is that so much can be done in real mode. That makes
> me curious how it will look in a flat memory model.
>There are zillions of
> things which can be improved in GEOS,

This I agree with you on.

 >but GEOS is there, and still works

Quote:> pretty well in real mode, despite its limitations.

This I disagree with you on. GEOS has tons of memory problems due to its'
1024K limitation, (well 640K really). Back when its' design was of great
benefit. Now what was once a benefit is a severe limitation. The fact of the
matter is the world of PC's has changed so drastically since 1980 as to be a
whole other creature. GEOS sadly is a supreme has been. A spec of sand on
the beach of desktop GUI's. There was a very short window of chance for GEOS
in 1990, and GWRX blew it by not making the SDK freely and readily
available. The facts today are painfully obvious. There is no denying those
facts. GEOS is a nothing but to a small group of folks. I'd venture to say a
fraction of a fraction of a percent of PC folks have ever heard of it, and a
fraction of that fraction still use it. I'd be amazed if sales of PC/GEOS
were 100 a year. And I'd be even more amazed if of those, 1% actually "used"
it after "playing" with it. It is gone. It is no more. It will never be
again. I've no problem with folks that use it. I've only a problem with
those that actually argue it is viable in today's market place. If it was,
it would be. As it isn't, it isn't. Simple.
 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Hans Lindgre » Mon, 16 Jun 2003 03:29:41


Yep, that is correct, but you can't get a refund as you stated. I see hyubso's
remark more as a sarcasm, over the catch 22 situation.

BR,
Hans


> Right but one has nothing to do with the other. What he actually stated
is
> that the end-user did NOT pay for the OS. This is stupid. The price one
pays
> for the PC has the price of the OS included. And, you can order a PC sans
OS
> for LESS the with OS. So, although it would be hard to get the price of
the
> OS from the OEM, it is not impossible.



> > Actually Hyubso is right in that sense there is a worthless clause in
the
> > MS EULA, the words that stands there is of no value. You will not get
ANY
> > refund! This because there is a complicated procedure as Microsoft claims
> > that it is the reseller of the product that should stand for the refund,
> > not Microsoft. This has already been tried in Australia, Germany and
some
> > other countries, and the customer got no refund.

> > BR,
> > Hans


> > > Actually silly you. There is a legal clause that does state if you
> remove
> > > and or do not want the pre-installed OS you get the money back for
the
> > price
> > > of the OS. So now what's your comeback?



> > > > silly bob,

> > > > if you try removing the windows os included with name brand pcs,  
you
> > > > get NO REFUND, so obviously windows does not cost anything, which
> means
> > > > it is free.

> .


Path: newspeer.monmouth.com!news-out.visi.com!petbe.visi.com!newsfeed.news2me.com!newsfeeds.sol.net!news.noc.cabal.int!gnus.foo.bar!*spam!not-for-mail

Organization: SpamBusters!
Newsgroups: shamash.gayjews,su.gay,alt.bainaries.pictures.boys.barefoot

Date: 14 Jun 2003 12:06:12 GMT




X-No-Archive: yes
Approved: y
X-Original-Path: ...!195.40.4.120.MISMATCH!easynet-quince!easynet.net!newsfeed.gamma.ru!Gamma.RU!comstar.ru!not-for-mail
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: d210.p7.col.ru
X-Original-Subject: Boys and Foreskin                 = .
X-Original-Date: 14 Jun 03 08:51:23 +-0400

X-Original-X-Trace: storm.comstar.ru 1055566216 52165 212.248.6.210 (14 Jun 2003 04:50:16 GMT)
X-Cancel-ID: LR7:]18I+CFJ7M"K463D+^-5"B5&65YIVHX`VX&4%%\3A3I5=HF.F0J^
Lines: 1
Xref: newspeer.monmouth.com control.cancel:164462937

Cancel ID: LR7:]18I+CFJ7M"K463D+^-5"B5&65YIVHX`VX&4%%\3A3I5=HF.F0J^

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Helene Franze » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 04:18:10



>Helene,

Moved from another post.

Quote:>Helene is a GEOS legend. I've used her stuff back in the early '90s, when
>people were swarming all over the Geoworks forum on AOL, and I think she can
>take a poke in the ribs without crying. Why did she post in the first place?
>Answer: To take a jab, and for no other reason. And she did sign-on to the
>notion that the EXIT is where non believers should head, when its clearly

Sorry but you're confusing me with the other Helene. I'm the Finnish
one, just an ordinary user and I didn't post in order to take a jab.
Just asking you to remove yourselves and all that negativity . It's so
predictable and boring by now.

Quote:>There are only a few of the Geo Extremists left and they are the ones who
>will go down with the ship. One thing about an extremist, they are hard of
>hearing and don't read all the words on the page very well. Also, they are,
>on occasion, purposefully illogical and unwilling to make waves. They don't
>dance, they goose step. And finally, they have a deep sense of being part of
>a cult, like all those poor souls who drank the Kool-Aid at Jones Town.

It's not necessary to be an extremist in order to like GEOS.  I use it
because it fills most of my needs together with Dos and Win 3.11, is
easy to use and doesn't require much hardware. Suits a 486/66 really
well. Why enter that costly upgrade spiral when there's no real need
for it.

Mvh Helene, Aland, Finland

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Pat » Mon, 16 Jun 2003 11:19:54




> Just asking you to remove yourselves and all that negativity . It's so
> predictable and boring by now.

I beg to disagree. Its boring to allow this charade to continue, without
addressing the cold, hard facts. GEOS will never mature as an OS because its
so far behind the curve. It would take capital beyond the ability of BBX to
make it happen. IBM spent 100s of millions of dollars on OS/2 and failed to
win the desktop. They have since embraced Linux for servers and Windows XP
for desktops! Very few users want to face facts, they want to pretend a
miracle will occur. A few users think that a duplicate of the Linux
initiative will happen to GEOS. They do not realize that the community that
did Linux was Unix centric. They see GEOS as a little DOS GUI that runs on a
single chip set. As for GEOS-SC, its not even desktop oriented, because the
developers built it from the ground up as a cross-platform OS for
Smartphones. BBX_John has made it clear. BBX is not going to do anything
major to the current GEOS and they are working on a new GEOS, but no
details, its not around the corner, its just an amorphous cloud and an
enigma to some (me).

As a GEOS enthusiast, you can look forward to no improvements in the GEOS
kernel or core applications, that make up the ensemble suite. If that is all
you want out of your computing experience, then you will be happy. But if
you want more, look elsewhere!

Quote:> It's not necessary to be an extremist in order to like GEOS.  I use it
> because it fills most of my needs together with Dos and Win 3.11, is
> easy to use and doesn't require much hardware. Suits a 486/66 really
> well. Why enter that costly upgrade spiral when there's no real need
> for it.

Like I said, if that's all you want out of your software then you have no
beef with me. My only dispute concerns users who think GEOS is going to
advance beyond its current 16-bit implementation. Why would you want that?
For one, your Internet apps would run better, unless you think its just fine
the way it is NOW. So you are a happy GEOS camper and enjoy life. Don't
forget to put me in your kill list, like many of the other Europeans who
despise what I say!
 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by hyubs » Mon, 16 Jun 2003 11:19:06


so *, have you ever gotten a refund forthe money you spent on the
unwanted microsoft software included with a pc??

> Hyubso, do you seriously think that the price of the OS is NOT built into
> the total price one pays for the PC? How old are you? You do know that
> Compaq, HP, Acer, Dell and on and on pay a fee for the OS? It is passed
> along to the end-user in the price of the PC. PERIOD! So for you to say the
> end-user did not purchase the OS is just plain stupid. So bottom line, what
> would be the motivation for someone to pay for GEOS? Why run, (for lack of a
> better term), one OS inside another OS? If it is to use GEOS' DTP apps then
> forget it. Star Office, (now OpenOffice), totally blows GEOS' DTP's out of
> the water and it is FREE!



>>ok, smarty, go hire a lawyer and try to collect your refund from
>>microsoft or the pc vendor.. you will never get it even though you spent
>>a bundle of time and money trying to collect it....


>>>Actually silly you. There is a legal clause that does state if you

> remove

>>>and or do not want the pre-installed OS you get the money back for the

> price

>>>of the OS. So now what's your comeback?



>>>>silly bob,

>>>>if you try removing the windows os included with name brand pcs,  you
>>>>get NO REFUND, so obviously windows does not cost anything, which means
>>>>it is free.


>>>>>That's silly. Even an average Joe knows the price of the PC includes

> the

>>>OS.



>>>>>>99% of people do NOT buy windows.. it is included "free" with the

>>>>>computer.


>>>>>>>So folks are going to buy Windows and then buy GEOS? Why? OpenOffice

>>>>>blows

>>>>>>>GEOS apps outta da water and it is FREE!

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by hyubs » Mon, 16 Jun 2003 11:21:15


ok pat, tell us all about how you got a refund on any unwanted microsoft
software shipped on a pc you bought.

microsoft is so skilled at selling things people don't even want...  too
bad geworks never had this skill.


> Give up. He's clueless. Posts messages like a pre-*.



>>Hyubso, do you seriously think that the price of the OS is NOT built into
>>the total price one pays for the PC? How old are you? You do know that
>>Compaq, HP, Acer, Dell and on and on pay a fee for the OS? It is passed
>>along to the end-user in the price of the PC. PERIOD! So for you to say

> the

>>end-user did not purchase the OS is just plain stupid. So bottom line,

> what

>>would be the motivation for someone to pay for GEOS? Why run, (for lack of

> a

>>better term), one OS inside another OS? If it is to use GEOS' DTP apps

> then

>>forget it. Star Office, (now OpenOffice), totally blows GEOS' DTP's out of
>>the water and it is FREE!



>>>ok, smarty, go hire a lawyer and try to collect your refund from
>>>microsoft or the pc vendor.. you will never get it even though you spent
>>>a bundle of time and money trying to collect it....


>>>>Actually silly you. There is a legal clause that does state if you

>>remove

>>>>and or do not want the pre-installed OS you get the money back for the

>>price

>>>>of the OS. So now what's your comeback?



>>>>>silly bob,

>>>>>if you try removing the windows os included with name brand pcs,  you
>>>>>get NO REFUND, so obviously windows does not cost anything, which

> means

>>>>>it is free.


>>>>>>That's silly. Even an average Joe knows the price of the PC includes

>>the

>>>>OS.



>>>>>>>99% of people do NOT buy windows.. it is included "free" with the

>>>>>>computer.


>>>>>>>>So folks are going to buy Windows and then buy GEOS? Why?

> OpenOffice

>>>>>>blows

>>>>>>>>GEOS apps outta da water and it is FREE!

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by hyubs » Mon, 16 Jun 2003 11:25:37


the bottom line is, if an OS is to be preloaded onto a pc, the enduser
and nOT the os manufacturer, should choose which OS gets preloaded

in a fair market, there would be no OS software preloaded, and the
enduser would buy the software off the shelf,

and even that can be distorted, as microsoft would surely monopolize the
shelf space so that no other software would be on display to be
purchased...  just like coke and pepsi crowd out RC cola on store
shelves by paying off grocery distributors..

.


> Right but one has nothing to do with the other. What he actually stated is
> that the end-user did NOT pay for the OS. This is stupid. The price one pays
> for the PC has the price of the OS included. And, you can order a PC sans OS
> for LESS the with OS. So, although it would be hard to get the price of the
> OS from the OEM, it is not impossible.



>>Actually Hyubso is right in that sense there is a worthless clause in the
>>MS EULA, the words that stands there is of no value. You will not get ANY
>>refund! This because there is a complicated procedure as Microsoft claims
>>that it is the reseller of the product that should stand for the refund,
>>not Microsoft. This has already been tried in Australia, Germany and some
>>other countries, and the customer got no refund.

>>BR,
>>Hans


>>>Actually silly you. There is a legal clause that does state if you

> remove

>>>and or do not want the pre-installed OS you get the money back for the

>>price

>>>of the OS. So now what's your comeback?



>>>>silly bob,

>>>>if you try removing the windows os included with name brand pcs,  you
>>>>get NO REFUND, so obviously windows does not cost anything, which

> means

>>>>it is free.

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Pat » Mon, 16 Jun 2003 11:31:02


I know, I would be thrown out for asking questions for which their are
embarassing answers. A cult group of extremists wants absolutely no dissent.
Its akin to the government of North Korea where a million people bow in a
large space and show their devotion for the current dictator while guards
are watching to make sure that people's devotion is sincere.


> I doubt that you will ever be let in.....like in the third world
bar..........

> BR,
> Hans


> > Helene is a GEOS legend. I've used her stuff back in the early '90s,
when
> > people were swarming all over the Geoworks forum on AOL, and I think she
> can
> > take a poke in the ribs without crying. Why did she post in the first
> place?
> > Answer: To take a jab, and for no other reason. And she did sign-on to
> the
> > notion that the EXIT is where non believers should head, when its
clearly
> > inappropriate for an open public Newsgroup to pretend its a closed
> > Newsgroup. Now if I posted my feelings on that private Katter site, I
> think
> > it would be like walking into a bar, in a seedy section of some third
> world
> > country. Translation: Not too friendly to outsiders, if ya know what I
> mean.
> > <g>





> > > | Helene,
> > > |
> > > | There are only a few of the Geo Extremists left and they are the
ones
> > > | who will go down with the ship. One thing about an extremist, they
> > > | are hard of hearing and don't read all the words on the page very
> > > | well. Also, they are, on occasion, purposefully illogical and
> > > | unwilling to make waves. They don't dance, they goose step. And
> > > | finally, they have a deep sense of being part of a cult, like all
> > > | those poor souls who drank the Kool-Aid at Jones Town.

> > > Geez, Pat, that's pretty harsh!

> > > GW users are really just like any other "cults" in some ways. In the
> US,
> > > I've been in many Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge arguments. My cousin likes
> RV
> > > camping, I prefer tenting. Some friends of mine prefer taking a cruise
> > > to a vacation spot, I prefer to fly. In the long run, as long as
someone
> > > does something for their personal enjoyment, then it doesn't really
> > > matter.

> > > Personally, will confess to receiving a little guilty pleasure in
> > > arguing against the die-hard GW users. When I look at my posts over
> the
> > > years, and think about my enjoyment in using GW, I'm surprised that
> I do
> > > this. I still think that GW is cool, but probably not in the way that
> > > Hans and Chip do. Rather, I think that it's cool in the same way that
> I
> > > think my Visual Commuter 8086 1.4mhz  512k dual floppy "portable" is
> > > cool. Or the way that I think a 1960's vintage Fiat Spider is cool.
> It's
> > > not practical, but the pleasant memory lingers on. My cousin is
> > > rebuilding an old Datsun 1600 roadster. Not practical for everyday
use,
> > > but nice for a spin around the lake on a sunny afternoon.

> > > Aw, jeez, I just realized that now someone is goign to start on how
> GW
> > > *is* practical for everyday use. Sure, if my cousin only needed to
drive
> > > a couple of miles to the store and back, his Datsun is "practical" as
> > > well. But it's only practical for a very limited market. Sadly or not,
> > > NDO is not even competiton for the more robust Win and Linux office
> > > suites (BTW, I just d/loaded OpenOffice, but haven't installed it
yet),
> > > and it never will be again. It's long lost the potential to be a
> > > "contender". Not because it doesn't do what it's supposed to, but
> > > because the market has moved in a different direction.

> > > Tom

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by hyubs » Mon, 16 Jun 2003 11:37:48


geos is as useful today as it was back "when its design was of great
benefit".    Obviously you acknowledge that geos design  is great,
otherwise it would never had been of great benefit.

just because hardware has gotten faster does not mean that geos has
become less usefull now than it was back then..  geos is as useful today
as it was 10 years ago..    while it needs development to support new
uses that have appeared in the marketplace,  geos certainly has not
gotten worse.

fially, geos has many features which can not be classified as
limitaitons..    geos's structural design   and programming efficientcy
  is so superior to windows and these benefits are not severe
limitations.. the  one and only limitiation, the real mode memory
constraints, can be overcome with a protected mode geos, just as real
mode early versions of windows   memory constraints were overcome with
  protected mode versions of windows released years later.

we would probably  be there now had nokia not dumped geos after Bill G's
famous cream pie in the face european "vacation"


> Back when its' design was of great
> benefit. Now what was once a benefit is a severe limitation.

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by C BLANK » Mon, 16 Jun 2003 14:17:34


***As a GEOS enthusiast, you can look forward to no improvements in the GEOS
kernel or core applications, that make up the ensemble suite. If that is all
you want out of your computing experience, then you will be happy. But if
you want more, look elsewhere!***

Is a user necessarily an enthusiast? Is an enthusiast a hobbyist? Is a hobbyist
a user outside of the hobby? I submit a user doesn't necessarily need more than
he/she has and is happy with, as long as it continues to improve in useful
ways.

GEOS has improved in useful ways since 1.2 to the satisfaction of many people.
It could be better, but that is not critical to it's usefulness. It will
continue to improve unless no one markets it at all.

Chip Blank
GUI
GeoGrafix

The GEOS Users International website is at:
http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Doug Fitzpatric » Mon, 16 Jun 2003 15:57:50





> spake unto us, saying:

> >why are you here???

> Bob appears to be the Timmy Martin clone in the GEOS newsgroup(s)...

I was thinking that the other day.  All we need now are three more ;-)

--
Regards,
Doug

**** remove leading g for email replies. ****