Living in the past

Post by Pat » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 23:59:49

Helene,

There are only a few of the Geo Extremists left and they are the ones who
will go down with the ship. One thing about an extremist, they are hard of
hearing and don't read all the words on the page very well. Also, they are,
on occasion, purposefully illogical and unwilling to make waves. They don't
dance, they goose step. And finally, they have a deep sense of being part of
a cult, like all those poor souls who drank the Kool-Aid at Jones Town.

> >Yes we are, but people take different approaches:

> >I am happy to use what is there and maintain the faint hope that there
> >may be some major noew development one day.

> >Other people just go away because GEOS no longer fits their needs.

> >However, you and Bob are a riddle, because you rant and rave all the
> >time that it's over and why are we still interested etc. pp. - But you
> >don't come to a conclusion.

> >This conclusion could take different forms: You could drop the issue
> >and go away (logical from what you say), you could take my approach
> >and be happy with what is there (not likely, I gather) or you could do
> >something actively to improve the situation.

> >At the moment, you are just wasting your time telling everyone what
> >they don't want to hear anymore (because you repeated it ad nauseam
> >already)..

> Hear, hear. Pat and Bob listen to that go away part.

> Mvh Helene

Living in the past

Post by Tom Accuost » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 02:07:40

| Helene,
|
| There are only a few of the Geo Extremists left and they are the ones
| who will go down with the ship. One thing about an extremist, they
| are hard of hearing and don't read all the words on the page very
| well. Also, they are, on occasion, purposefully illogical and
| unwilling to make waves. They don't dance, they goose step. And
| finally, they have a deep sense of being part of a cult, like all
| those poor souls who drank the Kool-Aid at Jones Town.

Geez, Pat, that's pretty harsh!

GW users are really just like any other "cults" in some ways. In the US,
I've been in many Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge arguments. My cousin likes RV
camping, I prefer tenting. Some friends of mine prefer taking a cruise
to a vacation spot, I prefer to fly. In the long run, as long as someone
does something for their personal enjoyment, then it doesn't really
matter.

Personally, will confess to receiving a little guilty pleasure in
arguing against the die-hard GW users. When I look at my posts over the
years, and think about my enjoyment in using GW, I'm surprised that I do
this. I still think that GW is cool, but probably not in the way that
Hans and Chip do. Rather, I think that it's cool in the same way that I
think my Visual Commuter 8086 1.4mhz  512k dual floppy "portable" is
cool. Or the way that I think a 1960's vintage Fiat Spider is cool. It's
not practical, but the pleasant memory lingers on. My cousin is
rebuilding an old Datsun 1600 roadster. Not practical for everyday use,
but nice for a spin around the lake on a sunny afternoon.

Aw, jeez, I just realized that now someone is goign to start on how GW
*is* practical for everyday use. Sure, if my cousin only needed to drive
a couple of miles to the store and back, his Datsun is "practical" as
well. But it's only practical for a very limited market. Sadly or not,
NDO is not even competiton for the more robust Win and Linux office
suites (BTW, I just d/loaded OpenOffice, but haven't installed it yet),
and it never will be again. It's long lost the potential to be a
"contender". Not because it doesn't do what it's supposed to, but
because the market has moved in a different direction.

Tom

Living in the past

Post by Pat » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 02:59:41

Helene is a GEOS legend. I've used her stuff back in the early '90s, when
people were swarming all over the Geoworks forum on AOL, and I think she can
take a poke in the ribs without crying. Why did she post in the first place?
Answer: To take a jab, and for no other reason. And she did sign-on to the
notion that the EXIT is where non believers should head, when its clearly
inappropriate for an open public Newsgroup to pretend its a closed
Newsgroup. Now if I posted my feelings on that private Katter site, I think
it would be like walking into a bar, in a seedy section of some third world
country. Translation: Not too friendly to outsiders, if ya know what I mean.
<g>

> | Helene,
> |
> | There are only a few of the Geo Extremists left and they are the ones
> | who will go down with the ship. One thing about an extremist, they
> | are hard of hearing and don't read all the words on the page very
> | well. Also, they are, on occasion, purposefully illogical and
> | unwilling to make waves. They don't dance, they goose step. And
> | finally, they have a deep sense of being part of a cult, like all
> | those poor souls who drank the Kool-Aid at Jones Town.

> Geez, Pat, that's pretty harsh!

> GW users are really just like any other "cults" in some ways. In the US,
> I've been in many Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge arguments. My cousin likes RV
> camping, I prefer tenting. Some friends of mine prefer taking a cruise
> to a vacation spot, I prefer to fly. In the long run, as long as someone
> does something for their personal enjoyment, then it doesn't really
> matter.

> Personally, will confess to receiving a little guilty pleasure in
> arguing against the die-hard GW users. When I look at my posts over the
> years, and think about my enjoyment in using GW, I'm surprised that I do
> this. I still think that GW is cool, but probably not in the way that
> Hans and Chip do. Rather, I think that it's cool in the same way that I
> think my Visual Commuter 8086 1.4mhz  512k dual floppy "portable" is
> cool. Or the way that I think a 1960's vintage Fiat Spider is cool. It's
> not practical, but the pleasant memory lingers on. My cousin is
> rebuilding an old Datsun 1600 roadster. Not practical for everyday use,
> but nice for a spin around the lake on a sunny afternoon.

> Aw, jeez, I just realized that now someone is goign to start on how GW
> *is* practical for everyday use. Sure, if my cousin only needed to drive
> a couple of miles to the store and back, his Datsun is "practical" as
> well. But it's only practical for a very limited market. Sadly or not,
> NDO is not even competiton for the more robust Win and Linux office
> suites (BTW, I just d/loaded OpenOffice, but haven't installed it yet),
> and it never will be again. It's long lost the potential to be a
> "contender". Not because it doesn't do what it's supposed to, but
> because the market has moved in a different direction.

> Tom

Living in the past

Post by Holger La » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 02:54:44

>There are only a few of the Geo Extremists left and they are the ones who
>will go down with the ship. One thing about an extremist, they are hard of
>hearing and don't read all the words on the page very well. Also, they are,
>on occasion, purposefully illogical and unwilling to make waves. They don't
>dance, they goose step. And finally, they have a deep sense of being part of
>a cult, like all those poor souls who drank the Kool-Aid at Jones Town.

And what's your personal conclusion? What do you advise me to do?

Still waiting for a new tune to goose-step to...

Holger

Living in the past

Post by Bob » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 09:22:29

Quote:> Hear, hear. Pat and Bob listen to that go away part.

> Mvh Helene

How childish.  But I wouldn't expect more.

Living in the past

Post by Pat » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 10:39:39

I think you are confused about what you are. I know I am. ROTFL!

> >There are only a few of the Geo Extremists left and they are the ones who
> >will go down with the ship. One thing about an extremist, they are hard
of
> >hearing and don't read all the words on the page very well. Also, they
are,
> >on occasion, purposefully illogical and unwilling to make waves. They
don't
> >dance, they goose step. And finally, they have a deep sense of being part
of
> >a cult, like all those poor souls who drank the Kool-Aid at Jones Town.

> And what's your personal conclusion? What do you advise me to do?

> Still waiting for a new tune to goose-step to...

> Holger

Living in the past

Post by hyubs » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 15:42:09

ok, smarty, go hire a lawyer and try to collect your refund from
microsoft or the pc vendor.. you will never get it even though you spent
a bundle of time and money trying to collect it....

> Actually silly you. There is a legal clause that does state if you remove
> and or do not want the pre-installed OS you get the money back for the price
> of the OS. So now what's your comeback?

>>silly bob,

>>if you try removing the windows os included with name brand pcs,  you
>>get NO REFUND, so obviously windows does not cost anything, which means
>>it is free.

>>>That's silly. Even an average Joe knows the price of the PC includes the

> OS.

>>>computer.

>>>blows

Living in the past

Date: Fri, Jun 13, 2003 10:59 EDT

Helene,

There are only a few of the Geo Extremists left and they are the ones who
will go down with the ship. One thing about an extremist, they are hard of
hearing and don't read all the words on the page very well. Also, they are,
on occasion, purposefully illogical and unwilling to make waves. They don't
dance, they goose step. And finally, they have a deep sense of being part of
a cult, like all those poor souls who drank the Kool-Aid at Jones Town.
***

Pat, you are just too much of a fool. Not only are you an insulting person, but
lack any kind of good sense. Obviously your 'glass half empty' outlook is too
much for you to overcome.

I have noticed in a long life that those who lack logic in their arguments rely
on insults, condescention and name calling, all of which you use routinely.
That says a lot about your points of view.

Chip Blank
GUI
GeoGrafix

The GEOS Users International website is at:
http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

Living in the past

Post by Hans Lindgre » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 19:44:19

Actually Hyubso is right in that sense there is a worthless clause in the
MS EULA, the words that stands there is of no value. You will not get ANY
refund! This because there is a complicated procedure as Microsoft claims
that it is the reseller of the product that should stand for the refund,
not Microsoft. This has already been tried in Australia, Germany and some
other countries, and the customer got no refund.

BR,
Hans

> Actually silly you. There is a legal clause that does state if you remove
> and or do not want the pre-installed OS you get the money back for the
price
> of the OS. So now what's your comeback?

> > silly bob,

> > if you try removing the windows os included with name brand pcs,  you
> > get NO REFUND, so obviously windows does not cost anything, which means
> > it is free.

Living in the past

Post by Hans Lindgre » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 19:46:27

Pat, have you ever heard of the silent majority?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

BR,
Hans

> Helene,

> There are only a few of the Geo Extremists left and they are the ones
who
> will go down with the ship. One thing about an extremist, they are hard
of
> hearing and don't read all the words on the page very well. Also, they
are,
> on occasion, purposefully illogical and unwilling to make waves. They
don't
> dance, they goose step. And finally, they have a deep sense of being part
of
> a cult, like all those poor souls who drank the Kool-Aid at Jones Town.

> > >Yes we are, but people take different approaches:

> > >I am happy to use what is there and maintain the faint hope that there
> > >may be some major noew development one day.

> > >Other people just go away because GEOS no longer fits their needs.

> > >However, you and Bob are a riddle, because you rant and rave all the
> > >time that it's over and why are we still interested etc. pp. - But
you
> > >don't come to a conclusion.

> > >This conclusion could take different forms: You could drop the issue
> > >and go away (logical from what you say), you could take my approach
> > >and be happy with what is there (not likely, I gather) or you could
do
> > >something actively to improve the situation.

> > >At the moment, you are just wasting your time telling everyone what
> > >they don't want to hear anymore (because you repeated it ad nauseam
> > >already)..

> > Hear, hear. Pat and Bob listen to that go away part.

> > Mvh Helene

Living in the past

Post by Bob » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 23:06:58

Hyubso, do you seriously think that the price of the OS is NOT built into
the total price one pays for the PC? How old are you? You do know that
Compaq, HP, Acer, Dell and on and on pay a fee for the OS? It is passed
along to the end-user in the price of the PC. PERIOD! So for you to say the
end-user did not purchase the OS is just plain stupid. So bottom line, what
would be the motivation for someone to pay for GEOS? Why run, (for lack of a
better term), one OS inside another OS? If it is to use GEOS' DTP apps then
forget it. Star Office, (now OpenOffice), totally blows GEOS' DTP's out of
the water and it is FREE!

> ok, smarty, go hire a lawyer and try to collect your refund from
> microsoft or the pc vendor.. you will never get it even though you spent
> a bundle of time and money trying to collect it....

> > Actually silly you. There is a legal clause that does state if you
remove
> > and or do not want the pre-installed OS you get the money back for the
price
> > of the OS. So now what's your comeback?

> >>silly bob,

> >>if you try removing the windows os included with name brand pcs,  you
> >>get NO REFUND, so obviously windows does not cost anything, which means
> >>it is free.

the

> > OS.

Living in the past

Post by Bob » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 23:11:51

Right but one has nothing to do with the other. What he actually stated is
that the end-user did NOT pay for the OS. This is stupid. The price one pays
for the PC has the price of the OS included. And, you can order a PC sans OS
for LESS the with OS. So, although it would be hard to get the price of the
OS from the OEM, it is not impossible.

> Actually Hyubso is right in that sense there is a worthless clause in the
> MS EULA, the words that stands there is of no value. You will not get ANY
> refund! This because there is a complicated procedure as Microsoft claims
> that it is the reseller of the product that should stand for the refund,
> not Microsoft. This has already been tried in Australia, Germany and some
> other countries, and the customer got no refund.

> BR,
> Hans

> > Actually silly you. There is a legal clause that does state if you
remove
> > and or do not want the pre-installed OS you get the money back for the
> price
> > of the OS. So now what's your comeback?

> > > silly bob,

> > > if you try removing the windows os included with name brand pcs,  you
> > > get NO REFUND, so obviously windows does not cost anything, which
means
> > > it is free.

Living in the past

Post by Pat » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 23:15:37

Give up. He's clueless. Posts messages like a pre-*.

> Hyubso, do you seriously think that the price of the OS is NOT built into
> the total price one pays for the PC? How old are you? You do know that
> Compaq, HP, Acer, Dell and on and on pay a fee for the OS? It is passed
> along to the end-user in the price of the PC. PERIOD! So for you to say
the
> end-user did not purchase the OS is just plain stupid. So bottom line,
what
> would be the motivation for someone to pay for GEOS? Why run, (for lack of
> better term), one OS inside another OS? If it is to use GEOS' DTP apps
then
> forget it. Star Office, (now OpenOffice), totally blows GEOS' DTP's out of
> the water and it is FREE!

> > ok, smarty, go hire a lawyer and try to collect your refund from
> > microsoft or the pc vendor.. you will never get it even though you spent
> > a bundle of time and money trying to collect it....

> > > Actually silly you. There is a legal clause that does state if you
> remove
> > > and or do not want the pre-installed OS you get the money back for the
> price
> > > of the OS. So now what's your comeback?

> the

> > > OS.

OpenOffice

Living in the past

Post by Pat » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 23:21:56

FOOL? You call me a fool and in the same sentence in which you accuse me of
being an insutling person. ROTFLMAO!

unsolicited post referring to Helene or if it was the other way around.
Nooooooooo! If I, out of the blue, posted a message stating that you should
not post in this ng, whould you NOT REPLY? I think that clears up your
confusion.

> Date: Fri, Jun 13, 2003 10:59 EDT

> Helene,

> There are only a few of the Geo Extremists left and they are the ones who
> will go down with the ship. One thing about an extremist, they are hard of
> hearing and don't read all the words on the page very well. Also, they
are,
> on occasion, purposefully illogical and unwilling to make waves. They
don't
> dance, they goose step. And finally, they have a deep sense of being part
of
> a cult, like all those poor souls who drank the Kool-Aid at Jones Town.
> ***

> Pat, you are just too much of a fool. Not only are you an insulting
person, but
> lack any kind of good sense. Obviously your 'glass half empty' outlook is
too
> much for you to overcome.

> I have noticed in a long life that those who lack logic in their arguments
rely
> on insults, condescention and name calling, all of which you use
routinely.
> That says a lot about your points of view.

> Chip Blank
> GUI
> GeoGrafix

> The GEOS Users International website is at:
> http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

Living in the past

Post by Pat » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 23:23:36

Yes, all the people who read but don't want to post because they don't want
to be associated with Geo Extremists. ;-)