Living in the past

Living in the past

Post by Bob » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 05:07:47




Quote:

> GEOS doesn't sell for two reasons (one huge, and one lesser):
>  -Rich Steiner

Good. I couldn't care about the reasons only that you are bright enough to
admit GEOS doesn't sell. The rest is moot.
 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Pat » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 08:15:35


Holger,

After more than a half dozen years of sporadic GEOS development, I think we
are all disappointed. Correction: The majority is disapointed.



> >Holger, you remind me of Cinderellas's sister who practically cut of
their
> >big toe to fit the glass slipper on their foot. Translation: You're logic
is
> >contrived!

> So, that's the end of that then.

> No new tune ... I am disappointed!

> Holger


 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by C BLANK » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 08:42:21


***From my
perspective, it's a neat hobby, but no longer practical for real-world
use anymore.

Tom***

'Real-world' is purely a matter of need and perscpective. Therefor, some will
and do want what GEOS offers and others want other than that. GEOS does have
much to offer, but needs to be marketed for what it is and what it can do well,
not as a replacement for Windows...a supplement or compliment.

Chip Blank
GUI
GeoGrafix

The GEOS Users International website is at:
http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Bob » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 09:46:45




Quote:

> GEOS does have
> much to offer, but needs to be marketed for what it is and what it can do
well,
> not as a replacement for Windows...a supplement or compliment.
> Chip Blank

So folks are going to buy Windows and then buy GEOS? Why? OpenOffice blows
GEOS apps outta da water and it is FREE!
 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by hyubs » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 15:21:43


99% of people do NOT buy windows.. it is included "free" with the computer.

> So folks are going to buy Windows and then buy GEOS? Why? OpenOffice blows
> GEOS apps outta da water and it is FREE!

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Holger La » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 19:03:27



>Holger,

>After more than a half dozen years of sporadic GEOS development, I think we
>are all disappointed. Correction: The majority is disapointed.

Yes we are, but people take different approaches:

I am happy to use what is there and maintain the faint hope that there
may be some major noew development one day.

Other people just go away because GEOS no longer fits their needs.

However, you and Bob are a riddle, because you rant and rave all the
time that it's over and why are we still interested etc. pp. - But you
don't come to a conclusion.

This conclusion could take different forms: You could drop the issue
and go away (logical from what you say), you could take my approach
and be happy with what is there (not likely, I gather) or you could do
something actively to improve the situation.

At the moment, you are just wasting your time telling everyone what
they don't want to hear anymore (because you repeated it ad nauseam
already)..

Holger

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Tom Accuost » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 23:43:59




| spake unto us, saying:
|
|| Well the proof is in the pudding. GEOS has at best a small fraction
|| of a percent of the desktop market.
|
| There is no logical connection between market share and quality.

Well, that's not exactly true. Or rather, the variables are so, well,
varied that you can't always draw an A>B>C conclusion.

Economic theories would suggest that the "connection" is that consumers
buy something that they *perceive* to be a greater value. For example,
even if GeoDeal were a rock-solid app on top of some rock-solid DOS
version (which was never the case), they still might look at the lack of
features or upgradeability in comparison to what they could get with
Windows or Linux and deide that they are willing to trade *what they
perceive to be* functionality for stability.

| As a possible counterexample, Ferrari has a very small percentage of
| the automobile market, but that (by itself) is not a fair indicator
| of the quality or performance of that company's product line.

See, that's not really a good example, either. Ferrari has a *perceived*
value that's born out by the marketplace. Hell, diamond rings are
virtually worthless decorations, but most women seem to like them, which
means that most men spend 2 to 4 months of their salary on them. The
perceived value is worth considerably more than the intrinsic value.

| There is a large difference between "state of the art" and "useful",
| and it is the latter that I see GEOS as being, not the former.

I don't think that anybody is areguing that NewWorks isn't useful
(except maybe Bob); I think that what you're seeing is somem people
pointing out that Geos is now so far behind the curve that it's not
economically feasible for anyone to develop it any further. From my
perspective, it's a neat hobby, but no longer practical for real-world
use anymore.

Tom

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Hans Lindgre » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 03:08:11





> > GEOS does have
> > much to offer, but needs to be marketed for what it is and what it can
do
> well,
> > not as a replacement for Windows...a supplement or compliment.
> > Chip Blank

> So folks are going to buy Windows and then buy GEOS? Why? OpenOffice blows
> GEOS apps outta da water and it is FREE!

But somewhat harder to use.............

BR,
Hans

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Hans Lindgre » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 03:12:02



> 99% of people do NOT buy windows.. it is included "free" with the computer.

or borrows it from the next door neighbor, or downloads it from internet,
and the complains of the lousy support.........ROTFL

BR,
Hans

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Hans Lindgre » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 03:22:46




> >Holger,

> >After more than a half dozen years of sporadic GEOS development, I think
we
> >are all disappointed. Correction: The majority is disapointed.

> Yes we are, but people take different approaches:

> I am happy to use what is there and maintain the faint hope that there
> may be some major noew development one day.

> Other people just go away because GEOS no longer fits their needs.

> However, you and Bob are a riddle, because you rant and rave all the
> time that it's over and why are we still interested etc. pp. - But you
> don't come to a conclusion.

> This conclusion could take different forms: You could drop the issue
> and go away (logical from what you say), you could take my approach
> and be happy with what is there (not likely, I gather) or you could do
> something actively to improve the situation.

Or they can use a flame-thrower to burn everything GEOS from the flat earth..........

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

BR,
Hans

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by C BLANK » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 03:56:36



Date: Wed, Jun 11, 2003 20:46 EDT



Quote:

> GEOS does have
> much to offer, but needs to be marketed for what it is and what it can do
well,
> not as a replacement for Windows...a supplement or compliment.
> Chip Blank

So folks are going to buy Windows and then buy GEOS? Why? OpenOffice blows
GEOS apps outta da water and it is FREE!
***

Depends on what the consumer has and wants.

Chip Blank
GUI
GeoGrafix

The GEOS Users International website is at:
http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Bob » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 04:34:34


That's silly. Even an average Joe knows the price of the PC includes the OS.


> 99% of people do NOT buy windows.. it is included "free" with the
computer.


> > So folks are going to buy Windows and then buy GEOS? Why? OpenOffice
blows
> > GEOS apps outta da water and it is FREE!

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by hyubs » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 05:39:23


silly bob,

if you try removing the windows os included with name brand pcs,  you
get NO REFUND, so obviously windows does not cost anything, which means
it is free.


> That's silly. Even an average Joe knows the price of the PC includes the OS.



>>99% of people do NOT buy windows.. it is included "free" with the

> computer.


>>>So folks are going to buy Windows and then buy GEOS? Why? OpenOffice

> blows

>>>GEOS apps outta da water and it is FREE!

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Bob » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 07:16:16


Actually silly you. There is a legal clause that does state if you remove
and or do not want the pre-installed OS you get the money back for the price
of the OS. So now what's your comeback?


> silly bob,

> if you try removing the windows os included with name brand pcs,  you
> get NO REFUND, so obviously windows does not cost anything, which means
> it is free.


> > That's silly. Even an average Joe knows the price of the PC includes the
OS.



> >>99% of people do NOT buy windows.. it is included "free" with the

> > computer.


> >>>So folks are going to buy Windows and then buy GEOS? Why? OpenOffice

> > blows

> >>>GEOS apps outta da water and it is FREE!

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Helene Franze » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 15:04:26




Quote:>Yes we are, but people take different approaches:

>I am happy to use what is there and maintain the faint hope that there
>may be some major noew development one day.

>Other people just go away because GEOS no longer fits their needs.

>However, you and Bob are a riddle, because you rant and rave all the
>time that it's over and why are we still interested etc. pp. - But you
>don't come to a conclusion.

>This conclusion could take different forms: You could drop the issue
>and go away (logical from what you say), you could take my approach
>and be happy with what is there (not likely, I gather) or you could do
>something actively to improve the situation.

>At the moment, you are just wasting your time telling everyone what
>they don't want to hear anymore (because you repeated it ad nauseam
>already)..

Hear, hear. Pat and Bob listen to that go away part.

Mvh Helene