Living in the past

Post by Pat » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 23:46:22

> Hey, chop away - I know that some of what I say is irrelevant.

Irreverent, and a breath of fresh air, IMHO!

Living in the past

Post by Pat » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 23:52:36

Quote:> Yes, when running DOS tools, like Scandisk, Chkdsk, Defrag, Diskopt and
> Debug. OTOH, there is no parallel DOS command structure for GEOS like
there
> are in Windows NT. I can't execute GEOS commands, except the loader for
GEOS,
> at the DOS prompt and there is no DOS window in GEOS, but this you
probably
> know? Sorry to say this, but to me you seem to be an amateur...........

Just trying to get you to confront the deficiencies of GEOS using rhetorical
language. If that seems amateurish, so be it. Now I'm going to EXIT back to
Windows as this DOS conversation we are having is making me feel icky!

Living in the past

Post by Pat » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 23:53:30

Another rhetorical question, question? <g>

"Hans Lindgren" <Hans.Lindg...@abc.se> wrote in message

> Why do you ask me, if you have all the answers for yourself?

> - Hans

> Pat wrote:
> > Bob, the logic in most of their arguments can be summed up as one-sided
> and
> > completely fails to address that GEOS also fails their litmus tests for
> > Windows. Amazingly hollow and bogus!

> > "Bob" <bob12...@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > > LOL! Sure. They exit GEOS and use DOS commands. Why use NewManager?
> ;)

> > > "Pat" <hotpat...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > GEOS

> that
> > > and
> > servers,
> > and
> and
> for,
> > > like
> a lot
> is a
> > Ghost
> in
> > > compared

> an
> > end
> > knowledge.
> not
> > > worth
> of
> you
> > > go
> > using
> > using

> > of
> still
> > learn

> > > smart
> > > computer.

> that

> > don't
> > icons.
> have
> > my
> > stressed......will

Noble,
> > for
> too

> of
> > DOS
> > mention
> of

> DOS.
> the
> > > few
> there
> > > is
MSDOS
> 5
> > on
> > > with

Living in the past

Language barrier!

Post by Tom Accuost » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 23:53:53

| LOL! Yeah boy. You should have seen the amazing spreadsheet he did
| and then solitaire! Whew! What a multitasking PC. LOADED with TON's
| of apps! Even, now hold on to your hat, Tetris!!! WHOW!

Now Bob, just relax for a bit. 10 years ago, I wasn't burning CD's.
Hell, I wasn't even listening to them on my PC. I generally switched
between Geos and MS WOrks, depending on what I needed to do. Frankly, I
hated the Geos spreadsheet, but I prefered GeoWrite for term papers and
newsletters. The DOS version of Works had a little calendar app and a
modem communication app - I used to surf bulletin boards with it
(remember BBS? FidoNet? 1200bps Hayes SmartModems? <snicker>)

Anyway, my point was that I used to be pretty happy doing probably what
Hy and Chip are doing with their GPCs. I've moved on to some more
complex things, and I've learned to take advantage of the multitasking
options. In fact, I'm at work now, listening to the Ted Nugent mp3's
that I burned from the KaZaa download. I've got OE, Excel, Outlook, and
Media Player open, and will probably need to open TurboCad 9 to check
some manufacturing drawings, and to help get the dimensions so I can
write a machining program for a lathe. But it's a holiday weekend, the
phones are dead and I don't care - I'm happy doing my thing.

The fact that last year I still cared enough about Geos/ND to order a
copy last year, and the fact that I care to stop in here once in a while
to troll, er, discuss what people do with the software shows (I think)
that I'm really open to people using whatever makes them happy. Of
course, I secretly feel a bit smug that I'm doing *more* things to be
happy about, but that's an ego problem that I'm learing to deal with
<g>.

Tom

Living in the past

Post by Tom Accuost » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 23:54:00

| ***I'll bet I was just as happy to use my machine as you were to use
| yours.

And THAT is the crux of this all. There are reasons why people like and
want to
use GEOS...it fills their needs satisfactorilly, even if Bob and Pat
think
otherwise.

Chip Blank

And Chip, I couldn't agree more. Look, I really enjoy all that I can do
with my current desktop and laptop PC's, but we'd all have to agree that
I'm doing more than "basic computing". When my friends ask me about
buying new PC's for kids going off to school, I always tell them to get
an old laptop (say, a 600 mhz) running ME and Word or Works. It's all
the kids need for doing papers, and they certainly don't need all that
power for IMing and listening to the latest Tool or J-Lo clip. I used to
tell them about GeoWorks, but the kids, for the most part, don't want
the hassle. "Where's the mp3 player? Can't I listen to Ozzie Osborne
while I'm doing my paper?"

While Bob might jump on that scenario to point out why ND isn't viable
anymore, I just wanted to suggest that it more points up that more
people are less concerned about the software itself and more concerend
about what they can do with it.

--
Tom

Living in the past

Post by Tom Accuost » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 23:54:07

|| I like Roxio (formerly Adaptec). But should I point out that at least
|| one *has* an option to burn CD's in Windows, unlike in a certain
|| un-named DOS suite?
|| Tom
|
| I'll answer as Chip-a-roo-dee-doo would. "I never ever need to burn a
| CD." "So, why would I pay "extra" for such a useless feature!" :)
| Stupid as it sounds it is the same answer to tables in GeoWrite, or
| NewWrite or Writer or whatever the hell it's called. A rose by any
| other name is still a bare-bones, not in production 1992 word
| processor.

Sure, Bob, but consider: my mother had no need to burn a CD until a few
months ago when she got a digital camera and wanted to save the pics. My
father uses Works and AOHell pretty exclusively. I think he might have a
few times played a CD on his machine (It's one of those mini-screamer
systems, too - they're wasting the clock cycles on screen savers). If it
weren't for AOHell, they really could have been using Geos, because
their computing *needs* haven't changed in 10 or 15 years. They only
have that mini system because the 350mhz E-machine finally bit the dust!
For them and a few old timers that I know, a GPC would actually be just
fine.

--
Tom

Living in the past

Post by Pat » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 00:15:17

Quote:> but not at all as tight a coupling as in geos, which has has this since
> its inception 10+ years ago, wouldn't you agree?

The problem with desktop GEOS is its lack of ability to scale out of its
current 16-bit addressing shell. It can be as tight as two peas in a pod, so
what good is it, if it can't jump over that 16-bit fence and allow
application programmers to write competitive GEOS apps that are
contemporary. It will always be this neat little 15 year old software design
that never matured. In its present state, its only value is to the handful
of DOS worshipers who are living in the past. True statement. Love GEOS and
you love a software that is frozen in time and losing all connection with
the world around it. No new drivers, no great internet apps, no MP3,
Multimedia, USB, Firewire, new protocols and networking, etc. You'll NEVER
see these in GEOS, E_V_E_R !

Quote:> my brother cannot figure out how to use windows xp cd writing features..
> it is too weird for him..  what he really needs is NERO, a well designed
> easy to use product for writing CDs  in Windows

Can he understand the GEOS CD Writing features? I'm begging you to have your
brother learn the GEOS CD Writer app. Well, I'm waiting.

NOTE: If you're reading this Hans, the above is not my illogic, its just a
device to get Hyusbo to confront how inane his logic really is. Duuuuuhhhhh,
there is no GEOS CD Writer app!

Living in the past

Post by Pat » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 00:17:13

Corporations pay by the number of user seats or get a Global license.
Geeeeezzzzzz!

> oh if only micrsooft  would send out refund checks for all the unused
> copies of windows that are sitting in corporate offices and people's
> closets..  it would revive the economy better than any  child tax credit

> i would be happy if micorosft would stop halting the resale of old
> copies of windows on ebay..

> > Yup, they use every (or
> > practically every) feature and option and therefore get exactly what
they
> > pay for. Do you think John is ready to send out discount checks?

Living in the past

Post by Pat » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 00:20:37

Quote:> suppose the mac  hardware costs too much adn the linux software is too
> difficult to use??  why not offer the geos option on OEM PCs???

Its a joke. Its a 15 year old DOS program and can't understand all the new
hardware and users would throw rocks at the dealer for selling them a DOS
program with no apps. Anyone who would suggest such nonsense would be stoned
by those same irate customers.

Quote:> well, you hav eot hand over the money to get eth computer, even if you
> do not want teh oS..  taht is the problem..   this would not be an issue
> if msft would refund  the full cost of unwanted copies of windows..  my
> how fast woudl MSft's cash horde  of 40 billion dollars disappear
> then???  i once offered to sell micorosft  back  old unused shrink
> wrapped  copies of windows 95 at $35 each.. they wanted me ot destroy
> them rather than sell them on ebay, and MSFT was very threatening about
> htis for some reason.. why oI don't know...  you'd think they would want
> peoel using their softwrae...  in hte end, i offered ot destroy the
> copies but MSFT was TOO CHEAP to pay my $35 per copy destruciton fee.
> well, they are gone now.. maybe microsoft will now ask goodwill adn the
> salvation to destroy   every unused windwos license that thaqt gets

donated

Hans, do you understand any of the above? I didn't!. ROTFLMAO!

Living in the past

Post by Pat » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 00:21:44

So he can run Oracle on a DOS GUI program that can't address out of 1MB of
memory?

Unbelieveable!

> > Look, this was virtually a one man crusade against Microsoft, Larry
Ellison,
> > IMHO.

> he would have been wise to buy up geos, buy up all the propreitary code
> components in geos, then gnu licensed it all for free distribuiton on
> napster, kazaa, etc.

> he probably spent more $$$ on his mansion, and more $$ on lawyers adn
> governemtn bureaucrats, when it would ahve been much easier and cheaper
> to sow and tend to a quality, easy ot use alternative seed in the OS
garden.

Living in the past

Post by Bob » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 01:41:29

Quote:

> the GPC is every bit as good as windows or the mac.. it is a fabulous
> integration of hardware adn software...  i am impressed very time i turn
> it on..

Don't take much then.

Living in the past

Post by Bob » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 01:51:18

I've no problem with that and never did. I ONLY have a problem with the
nut-cases here that insist GEOS is viable to any but a small, tiny, fraction
of a % of PC users and or buyers. They think it can someday become anything
in the market place and it simply cannot ever, never become anything other
then what it is today. A largely unsupported 16-bit real-mode DOS-based
parasitic GUI that has very basic DTP, (for lack of a better term), app's.
It offers no more, and because of that it can never be. For a NON_PC User
user it is OK. But for even an average user it is not OK. The "next"
generation of PC users buyers would NEVER even look at GEOS. It market is
dried up. The proof is there. Even BBX isn't stupid enough to sell to the
end user. When I was at New Deal's "shipping" dept. ( a 6 ft by 2 ft table),
all I ever say was product "waiting" to be shipped. I never say anything
ever actually go in a box, and I never saw a shipping label on a box. GWRX
couldn't sell it, New Deal couldn't sell it, MyTurn, (with millions of
dollars), couldn't sell it and BBX can't sell it. GEOS is a total could-ah
been. 13 plus years ago. It is gone, and I think it is great that that
happened, especially the way Clive*d the product. He sucked every last
penny he could outta it and the only thing he did was "buy", (I'd guess he
never really paid the bill), but buy the Internet apps from BBX.

> || I like Roxio (formerly Adaptec). But should I point out that at least
> || one *has* an option to burn CD's in Windows, unlike in a certain
> || un-named DOS suite?
> || Tom
> |
> | I'll answer as Chip-a-roo-dee-doo would. "I never ever need to burn a
> | CD." "So, why would I pay "extra" for such a useless feature!" :)
> | Stupid as it sounds it is the same answer to tables in GeoWrite, or
> | NewWrite or Writer or whatever the hell it's called. A rose by any
> | other name is still a bare-bones, not in production 1992 word
> | processor.

> Sure, Bob, but consider: my mother had no need to burn a CD until a few
> months ago when she got a digital camera and wanted to save the pics. My
> father uses Works and AOHell pretty exclusively. I think he might have a
> few times played a CD on his machine (It's one of those mini-screamer
> systems, too - they're wasting the clock cycles on screen savers). If it
> weren't for AOHell, they really could have been using Geos, because
> their computing *needs* haven't changed in 10 or 15 years. They only
> have that mini system because the 350mhz E-machine finally bit the dust!
> For them and a few old timers that I know, a GPC would actually be just
> fine.

> --
> Tom

Living in the past

It is simply amazing the ignorance. Ever heard of site license?!?

Post by C BLANK » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 02:01:36

***While Bob might jump on that scenario to point out why ND isn't viable
anymore, I just wanted to suggest that it more points up that more
people are less concerned about the software itself and more concerend
about what they can do with it.

--
Tom***

Exactly. All the talk about power and speed, etc.  is relative to needs and
desires. Getting the work done that needs to be done at 75MHz and 16bit is just
as acceptable to many people as doing the same work at 32 bit and 800 MHz. If
the 32 bit and 800 MHz is needed, then by all means use it.