Living in the past

Post by hyubs » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 03:12:59

what articles?  please be a friend and  post a link..

> Go read the articles.

>>>Duh! It don't run! D'OH!

>>but ensemble lite runs  on my athlon 2000+..  so what are you talking
>>about???  if it runs it runs..    please clarif what you mean by geos
>>having a fast cpu bug.

>>>You follow this newsgroup? You'll find many posts there? You may also

> check

>>>tvakatter.com. Funny I'd have to tell such a staunch supporter of a dead

> GUI

>>>such things?

>>why not be a friend adn do it for me since you know about it and i don't.

>>i would do the same for you..

Living in the past

***Subject: Re: Living in the past

Date: Sat, Jun 28, 2003 09:04 EDT

It's WP is sorely lacking any advanced features or even simple ones like
tables. The "spreadsheet" has the same problems the web browser is a joke,
and email is totally unreliable.
***

Let's see...the last time I needed a tables feature was 'never'. Likewise with
so many other bells and whistles. The average office apps user does not use
even what GEOS offers in full, with the exception of macros. GEOS offers plenty
for a great many computer users.

Chip Blank
GUI
GeoGrafix

The GEOS Users International website is at:
http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

Living in the past

Post by Bob » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 06:00:03

You do know how to search this very newsgroup for past articles? Probably
not. And I already told you about tvakatters forum's. I know you're just
trying to be a wise ass, but really your coming across as a dumb ass.

> what articles?  please be a friend and  post a link..

> > Go read the articles.

> >>but ensemble lite runs  on my athlon 2000+..  so what are you talking
> >>about???  if it runs it runs..    please clarif what you mean by geos
> >>having a fast cpu bug.

> > check

dead

> > GUI

> >>why not be a friend adn do it for me since you know about it and i
don't.

> >>i would do the same for you..

Living in the past

Post by Bob » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 06:03:27

WGAF when the last time you needed tables was? LOT's of users need tables
and it would be better to have the functionality and not use it then need it
and not have it. With mentality such as yours it is no wonder GEOS is a has
been. Plus, why is that feature ALWAYS on every "wish-list" I've ever seen
for add on features for GEOS? :) ANSWER that Chip-a-roo-dee-doo-dee? Answer
why tables are always on GEOS' "wish-list".

> ***Subject: Re: Living in the past

> Date: Sat, Jun 28, 2003 09:04 EDT

> It's WP is sorely lacking any advanced features or even simple ones like
> tables. The "spreadsheet" has the same problems the web browser is a joke,
> and email is totally unreliable.
> ***

> Let's see...the last time I needed a tables feature was 'never'. Likewise
with
> so many other bells and whistles. The average office apps user does not
use
> even what GEOS offers in full, with the exception of macros. GEOS offers
plenty
> for a great many computer users.

> Chip Blank
> GUI
> GeoGrafix

> The GEOS Users International website is at:
> http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

Living in the past

Post by Pat » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:01:35

Quote:> no one needs any of this speed anymore at this point in time...

I need it. Why do I need it? I am doing MPEG-2 Encodes of 2 hour videos that
can take 15 hours of processing time for a Multi-Pass with Variable Bitrate.
That means I have to WAIT 15 hours to check my results and keep it or toss
it.

Am I the only one with this need? There are many users out there. Check this
out:

http://forum.doom9.net/

All these people need the speed and disk space. My last capture of a Digital
Video created a single one-hour video that was a 12.5GB file. The best Video
and Audio applications will not run on Windows 98 and require Windows XP
with 512MB considered entry level. Some of these people have 1GB of memory,
and even higher.

Who are these users? You'd be surprised how many novices are trying to learn
but there are all levels and it ranges from hobby to professionals and
engineers. With all the consumer, prosumer, and pro camcorders out there,
more users are capturing their videos and authoring them onto VCD, SVCD, and
DVDs.

Quote:> computers are fast enough as stand alone devices...but progress is
> progress and it is nice to have faster newer stuff as long as you can
> afford it...

Remember when Intel came out with its first 1GHz processor? It seemed like
the speed war was back on the front burner with AMD. Then, the P4 broke
through 2GHz and now you can get a 2GHz PC for one-third the cost of a 386
PC 12 years ago. As the speeds climbed to 3GHz, it seemed it would keep
escalating forever. But that has not happened. The CPU speeds have peeked at
around 3GHz and Intel is opting to spend time re-engineering the Front-Side
Bus speeds so that memory access will be vastly improved with delays
falling. So we are taking a break in the processor speed war to fix the
Memory to CPU bottleneck problem. During this period, the cost of over 2GHz
PCs will come down further. The end result will be a vast improvement in the
average PC handling complex and difficult applications. Not too many years
ago, you needed a Silicon Graphics workstation to do what is now reachable
to a wider audience.

Who benefits:

(1) Networkers (ie. Gigabit Ethernet)
(2) Multimedia Applications (eg. MPEG compression algorithms)
(3) Database Access
(4) Gamers

The above includes a lot of users, especially if you have read Variety
recently where Games is a huge money makers and game revenues exceeds movie
box office revenues in the US.

Quote:>    what people really need in "first world" countries is faster online
> access into every home.. it is the last mile that is the bottleneck.  56
> k modems should be obsoleted just like 14.4 modems were...

I can't disagree that its what the majority wants. But its not the only hot
item on most hot item lists!

> > Supply and Demand are always at work in determining pricing.

> > But the sweet spot is what governs the general pricing on memory from
the
> > manufacturing point of view.

> > Sweet Spot = What memory types the manufacturers are tooled up for, to
crank
> > out in large quantities, at the lowest per unit price. Not too long ago,
it
> > was DRAM in 72-pin SIMM packaging. Then it changed to SDRAM in DIMM
> > packaging. Now DDR-SDRAM, and that's also changing as the mobo
Front-Side
> > Bus speeds ramps up to 800MHz and higher (overclocked version of 1200MHz
has
> > been announced). Why? Apple is going that route, Sun is going that
route,
> > IBM is going that route. Its engineering trying to ring-out bottlenecks
in
> > design and memory bus speeds definitely slow down the coupling between
CPU
> > and memory access. Cache is like a band-aid to help alleviate the
problem
> > but the better solution is to make the highways bigger and faster.

> > The reason for the speed is not to help GeoWrite or Word be quicker but
its
> > for Networking and Video.

Living in the past

Post by Bob » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 10:41:20

Your not the only one. I have VHS tapes I turn into AVI then MPEG and onto
VCD. I also do a ton of multi-track recording. Speed is a very good thing.
Tons of hard drive space is a very good thing. Ton's of RAM is a very good
thing.

> [...]

> > > packaging. Now DDR-SDRAM, and that's also changing as the mobo
> Front-Side
> > > Bus speeds ramps up to 800MHz and higher (overclocked version of
1200MHz
> has
> > > been announced). Why? Apple is going that route, Sun is going that
> route,
> > > IBM is going that route. Its engineering trying to ring-out
bottlenecks
> in
> > > design and memory bus speeds definitely slow down the coupling between
> CPU
> > > and memory access. Cache is like a band-aid to help alleviate the
> problem
> > > but the better solution is to make the highways bigger and faster.

> > > The reason for the speed is not to help GeoWrite or Word be quicker

Living in the past

Post by hyubs » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 11:09:18

for the uses you a re describing **and in which i am also dabbling***..
the speed is fine adn for video work ceratinly better than 1ghz adn
under former powerhouses...

but the majority of people don't use or want their pcs for video
compressing...  they are not filmmakers, they are not musicians,. they
are not content bootleggers..  they are passive uers who download pic,
chat send email,  adn do other less cpu intesive tawsks.. that is why
the industry is hitting a brick wall sales wise.. people don't feel the
need ot upgrade so often anymore since the pcs they have now are "good
enough for who its for".

> [...]

>>ago, you needed a Silicon Graphics workstation to do what is now reachable
>>to a wider audience.

>>Who benefits:

>>(1) Networkers (ie. Gigabit Ethernet)
>>(2) Multimedia Applications (eg. MPEG compression algorithms)
>>(3) Database Access
>>(4) Gamers

>>The above includes a lot of users, especially if you have read Variety
>>recently where Games is a huge money makers and game revenues exceeds

> movie

>>box office revenues in the US.

>>>   what people really need in "first world" countries is faster online
>>>access into every home.. it is the last mile that is the bottleneck.  56
>>>k modems should be obsoleted just like 14.4 modems were...

>>I can't disagree that its what the majority wants. But its not the only

Living in the past

Post by C BLANK » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 19:01:41

***Answer
why tables are always on GEOS' "wish-list".***

Because, Bobo, some people want them. However, 'most' people don't use them.

Chip Blank
GUI
GeoGrafix

The GEOS Users International website is at:
http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

Living in the past

Post by Hans Lindgre » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 19:32:53

Well, smart is a big word, I would say with little or no respect of computers.
Some kids are smart but many will also end up messing up. I still believe,
by every day's practice, that knowing the command line and it's commands
is still quite useful. And I feel pity for those who refuse to learn it as
it is often the emergency exit solving a problem.

BR,
Hans

> Kids are very smart and savvy about computers. For example, a smart four
> year old is annoyed if you try to help them with using the computer. Don't
> get your fingers near a smart kid who is hell bent on loading a game,
I warn
> you now. ;-)

> All kidding aside, its true, DOS is an ancient command line that mostly
> older users have knowledge about!

> > Well, that is correct. I often meet Windows engineers who don't know
how
> > the DOS prompt works. They just can click on cute little icons. When
they
> > are forced to use the command line they shiver. OTOH, I have my bread
> secured
> > for the rest of my life. But *that* makes me stressed......will I ever
get
> > retired? <BG>

> > BR,
> > Hans

> > > Older PC users who were exposed to DOS remember all the eccentricities.
> > Kids
> > > are clueless about DOS. Even their games are all Windows oriented.
> rarely
> > > see a DOS book in a computer section of Barnes and Noble, for example.
> > The
> > > average DOS user was more amenable to learning about memory managers,
> > but
> > > the average Windows user is going to eschew DOS as being too arcane.

> > > manager,
> tweaks
> > > for
> COGM,
> > > and***

> > easy
> need
> > > the
> > that
> > > ever
> > the
> > > old AOL
> > fast
> Ensemble
> > > 2.01.

Living in the past

Post by Hans Lindgre » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 19:35:08

Does this also mean that your campuses have dropped NT command line training?

BR,
Hans

> Across our 42 campuses "we" have dropped DOS training some 2 years ago.

> > Older PC users who were exposed to DOS remember all the eccentricities.
> Kids
> > are clueless about DOS. Even their games are all Windows oriented. I
> rarely
> > see a DOS book in a computer section of Barnes and Noble, for example.
The
> > average DOS user was more amenable to learning about memory managers,
but
> > the average Windows user is going to eschew DOS as being too arcane.

> > > ***Minor Setup. <Smirk> GEOS often requires tweaking of DOS memory
> > manager,
> > > plus other AUTOEXEC and CONFIGSYS parameters, not to mention GEOS
tweaks
> > for
> > > various and sundry reasons. Look back at the number of messages in
COGM,
> > and***

> > > Pat, there are a handful of settings to setup GEOS in DOS. They are
easy
> > > learn and with a little help from such groups as this, the few who
need
> > the
> > > help (I was one back then) learn easily. Once set up there is little
> that
> > ever
> > > needs to be done again. The biggest flurry of help desired posts in
the
> > old AOL
> > > forum and here had mainly to do with dealing with MSDOS 5 on up and
fast
> > > systems beyond 486s. That was fixed in newer GEOS versions than Ensemble
> > 2.01.
> > > Haven't seen many posts since then about DOS setup issues with GEOS.

> > > Chip Blank
> > > GUI
> > > GeoGrafix

> > > The GEOS Users International website is at:
> > > http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

Living in the past

Post by Hans Lindgre » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 20:31:31

Well, I would call this a special interest, even if it will have many users
out there. According to statistics from any source, this will be only a fraction
of all the computer users altogether. Email seems to be number one, and that
will not demand computer power of any kind. Any computer from an XT and up
will do, depening on what OS you put on it. So the computing need vary from
user to user, and nothing wrong with that. I for myself bought a system tailored
for digitally remastering of old anlog recordings. I have a some audio equipment
that many ordinary user don't need, and OTOH, I don't need the fastest CPU
on earth. What I wanted to say is that a special interest can not be a starting
point in any computing decision, applicable to any user. The starting point
must be a specific need, and what the specific user plans for the future.

BR,
Hans

> [...]

> it
> > > was DRAM in 72-pin SIMM packaging. Then it changed to SDRAM in DIMM
> > > packaging. Now DDR-SDRAM, and that's also changing as the mobo
> Front-Side
> > > Bus speeds ramps up to 800MHz and higher (overclocked version of 1200MHz
> has
> > > been announced). Why? Apple is going that route, Sun is going that
> route,
> > > IBM is going that route. Its engineering trying to ring-out bottlenecks
> in
> > > design and memory bus speeds definitely slow down the coupling between
> CPU
> > > and memory access. Cache is like a band-aid to help alleviate the
> problem
> > > but the better solution is to make the highways bigger and faster.

> > > The reason for the speed is not to help GeoWrite or Word be quicker

Living in the past

Post by Hans Lindgre » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:23:34

Well you and all Athlon users must be happy. This bug or error seems only
to affect Intel CPU:s? I have just tested with Ensemble Lite on my Intel
Celeron P4 1,8 GHz, it crashes with a KR-07. However, it seems to be a problem
just booting Ensemble, when using a "slowdown" software to make Ensemble
run one have to reduce the speed at boot, but it can be set back to full
speed once booted. OTOH, soon will this problem be "solved" for good, as
there will be new CPU released by Intel, which will run nothing but 32 bit
code.

You can read about this a the Tv? Katter site

BR,
Hans

> >>what are the symptoms of the fast cpu bug you are talking about??

> > Duh! It don't run! D'OH!

> but ensemble lite runs  on my athlon 2000+..  so what are you talking
> about???  if it runs it runs..    please clarif what you mean by geos
> having a fast cpu bug.

> >>can
> >>you point me to the documentation of it?????

> > You follow this newsgroup? You'll find many posts there? You may also
check
> > tvakatter.com. Funny I'd have to tell such a staunch supporter of a
dead GUI
> > such things?

> why not be a friend adn do it for me since you know about it and i don't.

> i would do the same for you..

Living in the past

Post by Bob » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 04:22:46

Isn't it better Chip-ah-roo, to have a feature available and not need it
then to need it an not have it?

Quote:> ***Answer
> why tables are always on GEOS' "wish-list".***

> Because, Bobo, some people want them. However, 'most' people don't use
them.

> Chip Blank
> GUI
> GeoGrafix

> The GEOS Users International website is at:
> http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

Living in the past

Post by Bob » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 04:23:28

Not at all. Command line is command line. DOS is DOS. Two totally different
beings.