Living in the past

Living in the past

Post by C BLANK » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:30:49



***It can never be marketed successfully unless it has a vast improvement in
its suite of drivers. With the exception of a niche market of users who have
old equipment. And that brings us back to where we started. GEOS is great
for the old platform, which was contemporary around the early '90s.
***

Pat, GEOS on a new system is just fine too for what I do and what many others
do too. All that hardware is needed for all the bloated Windows files to load.
My sleak GEOS DRAW loads in a few seconds. My Windows COREL DRAW or PHOTOPAINT
takes about 40 seconds. Fortunately I mostly use GEOS.

Chip Blank
GUI
GeoGrafix

The GEOS Users International website is at:
http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by C BLANK » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:34:06


***> No printer needed. Just convert graphics to something else, such as CGM or
CDR.

Hey, your new user has just learned how to tweak his/her memory manager. Why
not have them learn arcane and round-about ways to print. Geeeez! If they
are Windows savvy users, the odds are they are not computer geeks.
***

Pat,
I do this maybe once a year. GEOS DRAW is great for print work all by itself.
There are of course a few improvements that can be made, but COREL has a great
many improvements that need to be made.

Chip Blank
GUI
GeoGrafix

The GEOS Users International website is at:
http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Bob » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 05:05:19


You'd have to ask John. I'm sure he'd be surprise that your Athlon 2 GHz
doesn't affect Ensemble.


Quote:> then why does ensemble lite run on my athlon 2000+ under win98??  has
> breadbox updated geos???

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Pat » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:46:50


Older PC users who were exposed to DOS remember all the eccentricities. Kids
are clueless about DOS. Even their games are all Windows oriented. I rarely
see a DOS book in a computer section of Barnes and Noble, for example. The
average DOS user was more amenable to learning about memory managers, but
the average Windows user is going to eschew DOS as being too arcane.



Quote:> ***Minor Setup. <Smirk> GEOS often requires tweaking of DOS memory
manager,
> plus other AUTOEXEC and CONFIGSYS parameters, not to mention GEOS tweaks
for
> various and sundry reasons. Look back at the number of messages in COGM,
and***

> Pat, there are a handful of settings to setup GEOS in DOS. They are easy
to
> learn and with a little help from such groups as this, the few who need
the
> help (I was one back then) learn easily. Once set up there is little that
ever
> needs to be done again. The biggest flurry of help desired posts in the
old AOL
> forum and here had mainly to do with dealing with MSDOS 5 on up and fast
> systems beyond 486s. That was fixed in newer GEOS versions than Ensemble
2.01.
> Haven't seen many posts since then about DOS setup issues with GEOS.

> Chip Blank
> GUI
> GeoGrafix

> The GEOS Users International website is at:
> http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Pat » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:49:22


I have used 300dpi vs. 600dpi and I can noticeably see the difference in
quality. And 1200dpi is even more of a difference. Resolution is an obvious
ingredient that is an easy target but these printers have undergone lots
more change in their protocols.



Quote:> ***The compromised output from GEOS is not what the user paid for. You buy
a
> 1200dpi printer and you want that resolution.***

> Pat, Really? If 1200 dpi is essential, use Windows. I do. But that need is
> almost non-existant, since the 300 dpi of GEOS is very good. Remember that
GEOS
> drivers were built on the high end, so 300 dpi in GEOS actually comes out
> looking better, especially in dot matrix.

> Chip Blank
> GUI
> GeoGrafix

> The GEOS Users International website is at:
> http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Pat » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 11:12:42


All that bloat? LOL! What you call bloat is an Operating System that does it
all from soup to dessert. Yum! Yum! As far as GEOS doing all that one would
need, I am going to disprove it. Its my Pepsi challenge. Yup, I'm
resurrecting it.

Live with only DOS (or facsimile) along with GEOS, and*Windows, you
don't need it. Right?

Then again, I think some softwtare engineers will need Windows if they want
to compile the GEOS OS system itself. And you'll need it for real
comprehensive Internet access, since Skipper is a bit water logged, and we
can go on and on about that silly bloat thing. Given that memory is being
given away at Office Max this week, with free  memory after rebates.

Here's bloat for you. I have 512MB on a 1.4GHz system and the only time I
feel burdened is when I am doing flat out cpu intensive calculations, at the
same time as I have several other jobs executing. The OS handles it ALL with
no problems, no aborts, no need to tweak an INI file or Config.sys or
Autoexec.bat. Let me assume that your reply will be that no GEOS user would
want to do that. I say, Nuts! Most of the GEOS fans have since fled the
scene and don't want to return, ever. How many of those original GEOS reps
from AOL are regularly participating in COGM? the ones I knew have lost any
memory of their GEOS involvement. There's advertising for product appeal for
you.

There isn't one thing in GEOS that would entice me to load and use it. If
GEOS apps were that mush better than Windows or Linux or Mac apps, people
would know about it through word of mouth. But its not and the old P T
Barnum adage applies here! <g>



Quote:> ***It can never be marketed successfully unless it has a vast improvement
in
> its suite of drivers. With the exception of a niche market of users who
have
> old equipment. And that brings us back to where we started. GEOS is great
> for the old platform, which was contemporary around the early '90s.
> ***

> Pat, GEOS on a new system is just fine too for what I do and what many
others
> do too. All that hardware is needed for all the bloated Windows files to
load.
> My sleak GEOS DRAW loads in a few seconds. My Windows COREL DRAW or
PHOTOPAINT
> takes about 40 seconds. Fortunately I mostly use GEOS.

> Chip Blank
> GUI
> GeoGrafix

> The GEOS Users International website is at:
> http://www.veryComputer.com/

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by hyubs » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 11:31:53


yeah, i just got done running ensemble lite again under win98se..  it
loads fine.. i can use geowrite, the calendar, run perf.. perf says my
athlon is 3774.6 times faster than a base xt.

is breadbox lite supposed to not run on my fast athlon 2000+??

what are the symptoms of the fast cpu bug you are talking about?? can
you point me to the documentation of it?????

i have not run an older version of geos on this pc since i upgraded it..
  will try that soon.


> You'd have to ask John. I'm sure he'd be surprise that your Athlon 2 GHz
> doesn't affect Ensemble.



>>then why does ensemble lite run on my athlon 2000+ under win98??  has
>>breadbox updated geos???

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by hyubs » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 11:39:52


hey, I bought tha memeory.. last month.. got my rebates this week..
bought the same offer this month.. hopefully next month i iwll get my
rebates for this months purchase..

that is a lot of free ram

now if only office max would start giving out free tech support , free
windows installation, free software troubleshooting, and free hardware
repairs..  all after rebate of course,   that would be great!

and ensemble lite still runs on my athlon 2000+ with 756mb of ram..
amazing for an obsolete, out of date product..


>Given that memory is being
> given away at Office Max this week, with free  memory after rebates.

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Pat » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 01:08:54


The reason for the deal is because we are shifting again. remember SDRAM
memory? I have some in this PC but its now out of date for all the new
motherboards that are using cheaper chipsets and memory parts. The
manufacturing costs drive the prices DOWN!


> hey, I bought tha memeory.. last month.. got my rebates this week..
> bought the same offer this month.. hopefully next month i iwll get my
> rebates for this months purchase..

> that is a lot of free ram

> now if only office max would start giving out free tech support , free
> windows installation, free software troubleshooting, and free hardware
> repairs..  all after rebate of course,   that would be great!

> and ensemble lite still runs on my athlon 2000+ with 756mb of ram..
> amazing for an obsolete, out of date product..


> >Given that memory is being
> > given away at Office Max this week, with free  memory after rebates.

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Hans Lindgre » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 01:37:51



> I am guessing the GPC died because it ran into the meltdown of the NASDAQ
> market, which brought down a ton of companies who used equity to fund
> projects. In addition, the Venture Capitalists stopped handing over cash.
> Money is what lubricates the internal workings of manufacturers.

Agreed!

BR,
Hans

PS. Sorry for chopping down your message, but I found the rest quite not
that interesting DS

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by hyubs » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 01:38:58


i htink prices are down  due to market saturation..  if they could
command higher prices and get them, they would charge them!  these
businesses are not charities..

> The reason for the deal is because we are shifting again. remember SDRAM
> memory? I have some in this PC but its now out of date for all the new
> motherboards that are using cheaper chipsets and memory parts. The
> manufacturing costs drive the prices DOWN!



>>hey, I bought tha memeory.. last month.. got my rebates this week..
>>bought the same offer this month.. hopefully next month i iwll get my
>>rebates for this months purchase..

>>that is a lot of free ram

>>now if only office max would start giving out free tech support , free
>>windows installation, free software troubleshooting, and free hardware
>>repairs..  all after rebate of course,   that would be great!

>>and ensemble lite still runs on my athlon 2000+ with 756mb of ram..
>>amazing for an obsolete, out of date product..


>>>Given that memory is being
>>>given away at Office Max this week, with free  memory after rebates.

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Bob » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 06:26:46


Across our 42 campuses "we" have dropped DOS training some 2 years ago.


> Older PC users who were exposed to DOS remember all the eccentricities.
Kids
> are clueless about DOS. Even their games are all Windows oriented. I
rarely
> see a DOS book in a computer section of Barnes and Noble, for example. The
> average DOS user was more amenable to learning about memory managers, but
> the average Windows user is going to eschew DOS as being too arcane.



> > ***Minor Setup. <Smirk> GEOS often requires tweaking of DOS memory
> manager,
> > plus other AUTOEXEC and CONFIGSYS parameters, not to mention GEOS tweaks
> for
> > various and sundry reasons. Look back at the number of messages in COGM,
> and***

> > Pat, there are a handful of settings to setup GEOS in DOS. They are easy
> to
> > learn and with a little help from such groups as this, the few who need
> the
> > help (I was one back then) learn easily. Once set up there is little
that
> ever
> > needs to be done again. The biggest flurry of help desired posts in the
> old AOL
> > forum and here had mainly to do with dealing with MSDOS 5 on up and fast
> > systems beyond 486s. That was fixed in newer GEOS versions than Ensemble
> 2.01.
> > Haven't seen many posts since then about DOS setup issues with GEOS.

> > Chip Blank
> > GUI
> > GeoGrafix

> > The GEOS Users International website is at:
> > http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Bob » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 06:27:52


You've gotten a Porsche to drive down an old dirt road that has a top speed
of 15 MPH.


> hey, I bought tha memeory.. last month.. got my rebates this week..
> bought the same offer this month.. hopefully next month i iwll get my
> rebates for this months purchase..

> that is a lot of free ram

> now if only office max would start giving out free tech support , free
> windows installation, free software troubleshooting, and free hardware
> repairs..  all after rebate of course,   that would be great!

> and ensemble lite still runs on my athlon 2000+ with 756mb of ram..
> amazing for an obsolete, out of date product..


> >Given that memory is being
> > given away at Office Max this week, with free  memory after rebates.

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Bob » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 06:29:19



Quote:> and ensemble lite still runs on my athlon 2000+ with 756mb of ram..
> amazing for an obsolete, out of date product..

Just another amazingly stupid comment. DOS is also outta date but will run
purrfectly on that same PC. Ensemble is sadly outta also. What's your point?
(Except for the 1 on top of 'yer head?)
 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Bob » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 06:30:14


Crappy PC100/133 SDRAM? Yeah that junk is dirt cheap.


> hey, I bought tha memeory.. last month.. got my rebates this week..
> bought the same offer this month.. hopefully next month i iwll get my
> rebates for this months purchase..

> that is a lot of free ram

> now if only office max would start giving out free tech support , free
> windows installation, free software troubleshooting, and free hardware
> repairs..  all after rebate of course,   that would be great!

> and ensemble lite still runs on my athlon 2000+ with 756mb of ram..
> amazing for an obsolete, out of date product..


> >Given that memory is being
> > given away at Office Max this week, with free  memory after rebates.