Living in the past

Post by Pat » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:59:51

Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

Word: God
Pronunciation: 'g?d also 'god
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English; akin to Old High German got god
Date: before 12th century
1 capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: as a : the Being perfect in
power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshiped as creator and ruler of the
universe b Christian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over
all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind
2 : a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and
powers and to require human worship; specifically : one controlling a
particular aspect or part of reality
3 : a person or thing of supreme value
4 : a powerful ruler

I was referring to usage number 3. Not 1, Not 2, Not 4, althouugh it may
have applied since he was also the founder and CEO.

Quote:> First of all, you are not daddy, you are just a * on the other end of

our Internet connection. What gives you the right to say "Don't do that."?

*? Is that an English euphemism for something really *? Can we have
a translation of the term *?

Quote:> Secondly: You should know very well that saying NO makes not even half of

what parenting is all about.

Excuse me, but if I had a nickle for every occasions when a poorly behaved
child was NOT DISCIPLINED by an accompanying parent, I would be richer
today!

Living in the past

Post by C BLANK » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:25:48

***GEOS Simplicity: GEOS users invariably have to learn how to use DOS memory
manger(s) or other facets central to being on an OS that relies heavily on
DOS.***

A minor setup.

***GEOS Quality: GEOS, Windows, Linux, and Macs all have great quality output,
but GEOS is limited in the quality of the driver they have.***

If the output is acceptable, who cares?

*** What do I mean
by this? GEOS is so far behind the curve since it last had a driver update
to the core that its been living off of backwards compatibility with older
configurations.***

So?

*** Even the time honored technique of Postscript support is now
tired and old.***

Not if you want to get vector graphics from GEOS to Windows. The printer output
itself via postscript is unimportant.

*** Besides, with Apple and Microsoft embracing True Type,
Postscript printers are kind of far and few between.***

No printer needed. Just convert graphics to something else, such as CGM or CDR.

***GEOS Features and Values: Not sure what is meant by Values.***

Value of the product to the user, but I think you really knew that.

***<BG> Well, as far as features are concerned, I guess you must be referring
to what GEOS has *** Yes.
***that other OS do not have and then you are promoting those
features to be First Prize winners amongst all other OS.***

Sounds more like your words than anyone elses.

*** For example, in the last 3 years, I doubt NDO or BBX
office apps have had many improvements.***

Which improvements would you like? Be reasonable...

Chip Blank
GUI
GeoGrafix

The GEOS Users International website is at:
http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

Living in the past

Post by Holger La » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 18:31:45

>What give you the right to say; "Do that?"

Did I say that? I don't tell people what to use and what not to use,
unless asked for a recommendation.

Holger

Living in the past

Post by Holger La » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 18:45:55

>Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

>Word: God
>Pronunciation: 'g?d also 'god
>Function: noun
>Etymology: Middle English, from Old English; akin to Old High German got god
>Date: before 12th century
>1 capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: as a : the Being perfect in
>power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshiped as creator and ruler of the
>universe b Christian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over
>all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind
>2 : a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and
>powers and to require human worship; specifically : one controlling a
>particular aspect or part of reality
>3 : a person or thing of supreme value
>4 : a powerful ruler

>I was referring to usage number 3. Not 1, Not 2, Not 4, althouugh it may
>have applied since he was also the founder and CEO.

<big grin> Don't try! Using a dictionary is obviously not one of your
strengths.

Of course you can construct any sort of hypothetical context where a
word can be used apart from its most accepted meaning.

But to separate the word god from religion and worship is quite a far
fetched effort!

Quote:>> First of all, you are not daddy, you are just a * on the other end of
>our Internet connection. What gives you the right to say "Don't do that."?

>*? Is that an English euphemism for something really *? Can we have
>a translation of the term *?

A person that bugs, i.e. annoys other people.

Who's the *y foreigner here, I wonder???

Quote:>> Secondly: You should know very well that saying NO makes not even half of
>what parenting is all about.

>Excuse me, but if I had a nickle for every occasions when a poorly behaved
>child was NOT DISCIPLINED by an accompanying parent, I would be richer
>today!

Do you have children yourself? I guess they won't love you very much
if all you can do is discipline them. I feel sorry for them.

Holger

Living in the past

Post by Pat » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:49:24

Quote:> ***GEOS Simplicity: GEOS users invariably have to learn how to use DOS
memory
> manger(s) or other facets central to being on an OS that relies heavily on
> DOS.***

> A minor setup.

Minor Setup. <Smirk> GEOS often requires tweaking of DOS memory manager,
plus other AUTOEXEC and CONFIGSYS parameters, not to mention GEOS tweaks for
various and sundry reasons. Look back at the number of messages in COGM, and
I wish you could have read them on AOL, when Geoworks ran the forum there.
Yes, DOS is fine for simple DOS programs, but the tweaking invariably is
needed somewhere along the way with GEOS. A Windows XP user, for example, is
too used to using a simple OS that has tons of Help files and Wizards to
automate things.

Quote:> ***GEOS Quality: GEOS, Windows, Linux, and Macs all have great quality
output,
> but GEOS is limited in the quality of the driver they have.***

> If the output is acceptable, who cares?

The compromised output from GEOS is not what the user paid for. You buy a
1200dpi printer and you want that resolution. The printer can do duplex
printing, you want to see print on both sides of the page. Is this a concept
that is too hard for you to swallow? Why settle for less. Using Hyubso's
logic, is this yet another reason to demand a discount from CompUSA because
your OS is limited and will not use the main features of the hardware you
just purchase.

Ok, everyone with Windows and GEOS on their PCs: I want you to cripple your
Windows drivers by stooping to the common denominator of the features and
resolution of GEOS drivers. ROTFL!

Quote:> *** What do I mean
> by this? GEOS is so far behind the curve since it last had a driver update
> to the core that its been living off of backwards compatibility with older
> configurations.***

> So?

It can never be marketed successfully unless it has a vast improvement in
its suite of drivers. With the exception of a niche market of users who have
old equipment. And that brings us back to where we started. GEOS is great
for the old platform, which was contemporary around the early '90s.

Quote:> No printer needed. Just convert graphics to something else, such as CGM or

CDR.

Hey, your new user has just learned how to tweak his/her memory manager. Why
not have them learn arcane and round-about ways to print. Geeeez! If they
are Windows savvy users, the odds are they are not computer geeks.

Quote:> *** For example, in the last 3 years, I doubt NDO or BBX
> office apps have had many improvements.***

> Which improvements would you like? Be reasonable...

Interoperability with the most popular Office Suite, and not using old
document formats but new ones, for openers. One of the reasons why you don't
have a proper list is because the majority of GEOS users have flown the coop
after having been exposed to what is available with Windows, Mac, and Linux
Offise apps.

They have this contraption called Google. Do some historical searches for
GEOS and wish lists. Ask some of the GeoReps for lists they once collected
on AOL and I believe ND. Has anyone thought of that? Those old wish lists
could serve as a good starting point to present to BBX, and build from
there. Its obvious the disguised, defeatist attitude around here has made
for a cynical group of GEOS Extremists!

Living in the past

Post by Pat » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:59:15

> >Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

> >Word: God
> >Pronunciation: 'g?d also 'god
> >3 : a person or thing of supreme value
> >4 : a powerful ruler

> >I was referring to usage number 3. Not 1, Not 2, Not 4, althouugh it may
> >have applied since he was also the founder and CEO.

> <big grin> Don't try! Using a dictionary is obviously not one of your
> strengths.
> Of course you can construct any sort of hypothetical context where a
> word can be used apart from its most accepted meaning.

> But to separate the word god from religion and worship is quite a far
> fetched effort!

Wow, you're a good tap dancer. Checkmate. LOL!

Quote:> A person that bugs, i.e. annoys other people.

> Who's the *y foreigner here, I wonder???

Uhhhhhhhh, yeah! <g>

Quote:> Do you have children yourself? I guess they won't love you very much
> if all you can do is discipline them. I feel sorry for them.

No. Do I need to be a parent to judge that a child is * in public and
needs discipline? I've had enough exposure to family members with children
and have taken care of my share. It doesn't work 100% of the time, but you
have to set boundaries and its often appreciated. The word NO is good in the
right context.

Living in the past

Post by Holger La » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:31:50

>> But to separate the word god from religion and worship is quite a far
>> fetched effort!

>Wow, you're a good tap dancer. Checkmate. LOL!

My pleasure.

Quote:>No. Do I need to be a parent to judge that a child is * in public and
>needs discipline? I've had enough exposure to family members with children
>and have taken care of my share. It doesn't work 100% of the time, but you
>have to set boundaries and its often appreciated. The word NO is good in the
>right context.

Ah, and now you think you have to say NO to all those * GEOS
children?

In view of  your other arguments: Do you want us to believe that Byan
is your god and you are his messiah?

You won't get many followers with that one.

Holger

Living in the past

Post by Bob » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 04:50:08

just how little he knows about PC's.

Quote:> ***GEOS Simplicity: GEOS users invariably have to learn how to use DOS
memory
> manger(s) or other facets central to being on an OS that relies heavily on
> DOS.***

> A minor setup.
> Chip Blank

No not "minor at all. Teaching someone about real-mode device drivers, be it
BIOS or hardware is anything but minor. Teaching them how to configure
memory from CONFIG.SYS and how to then load device drivers from CONFIG.SYS &
AUTOEXEC.BAT is not a "minor" thingie at all. It is very tedious for them to
learn and quite a chore for your "average" PC user that you keep claiming is
the perfect GEOS user. In fact this is of the if not the most important
concepts one can learn about DOS, which insures the very best performance
form GEOS. It is a HUGE stumbling block that most "average" users do NOT
ever care to learn about. Probably yourself included.

Living in the past

Post by Bob » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 04:50:50

> >What give you the right to say; "Do that?"

> Did I say that? I don't tell people what to use and what not to use,
> unless asked for a recommendation.

> Holger

LOL! It is OK for you but not for "them." Typical.

Living in the past

Post by Bob » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 04:53:16

Quote:> They have this contraption called Google. Do some historical searches for
> GEOS and wish lists. Ask some of the GeoReps for lists they once collected
> on AOL and I believe ND. Has anyone thought of that? Those old wish lists
> could serve as a good starting point to present to BBX, and build from
> there. Its obvious the disguised, defeatist attitude around here has made
> for a cynical group of GEOS Extremists!

All's ya gotta do is read the Tva Katter Forum's "wish-list"! Same old *
for years, and years, and years, and years, and years. Hello. There is
NOBODY home to take care of your wishes! :)

Living in the past

Post by hyubs » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:00:08

> GEOS Simplicity: GEOS users invariably have to learn how to use DOS memory
> manger(s) or other facets central to being on an OS that relies heavily on
> DOS.

i did not have to learn any dos comnads on the new  global pc i just got
off of ebay.. in fact, it boots faster, is less noisy (actually totally
silnet)it was easier to learn than windows 95.    alos, win95 relies
more on dos than does geos.   try running win95 or 98 without himem.sys
being loaded.

Quote:

> GEOS Quality: GEOS, Windows, Linux, and Macs all have great quality output,
> but GEOS is limited in the quality of the driver they have.

a geos printout on an HP LaserJet 4L looks fabulous..  no reasonable
person would say it is bad or limited or out of date or whatever other
dumb term you come up wiht to describe what in reality is fabulous output.

Quote:> When in fact, GEOS
> lost the GENERAL FEATURES war when Windows 95 came out, and has been trying
> to catch up ever since.

baloney.. geos wins hands down in general features such as speed and
ease of installation, compatability among native apps. ( ever try
getting the spell checker ot work on outlook express 6 and winxp -- ha
ha -- spend a ton of money on new improved junk and you still have to
hire a tech to fix microsoft mistakes / errors and ommissions!), return
on investment in computer hardware,   also, a barebones win95 or win98
installation leaves you wiht limited apps, unlike geos, where one gets
full featuredd apps with the software package.    with winodws you are
out big $$$ unless you bootleg your software or find it at goodwill or
buy it used off of ebay.

Quote:>For example, in the last 3 years, I doubt NDO or BBX
> office apps have had many improvements.

the office apps are so good it is not wise to spend limited  time adn
money adding small features when  that $$ and time could be better spent
improving the internet apps.

Living in the past

Post by Pat » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:00:19

Quote:> Ah, and now you think you have to say NO to all those * GEOS children?

Ahhh, I see now. Perhaps I have hit home with my analogy. I should have
figured it out earlier. Have you tried meditating on the word Nein? Perhaps
getting in touch with the inner child?

Quote:> In view of  your other arguments: Do you want us to believe that Bryan  is

your god and you are his messiah?

Quote:

> You won't get many followers with that one.

Again, you are making false assumptions. The word God is used by many people
to refer to someone who is not a deity but an expert or guru. I guess it
must be an American use of the term. If you continue to misrepresent my use
of the term, then its just the child in Holger being * and should be
spanked. <BG>

One thing is undeniable to me, there would have been no GEOS if Bryan
Dougherty had not been the chief enabler of its invention. There would be no
New Deal trying to make a go of GEOS and there would be no COGM, TVAKatter
devoted to GEOS, or any software involvement releated to GEOS. Without GEOS,
users would have spent their time extoling the virtues of some other
software. While it would be speculative to extrapolate what would have
replaced GEOS, in the hearts of GEOS users, its not far fetched to
understand that Brian was the key to the existence of the product. He didn't
make it happen all by himself. There were others, who worked for him, that
were more instrumental in the actual execution of the code, but none of them
was on the same level as Brian at making it all come together. He's not a
God, as in deity, and I'm not a Messiah, but I am an big fan of
technologists and their contributions. Known quite a few of them, over the
years. I admire their genius and what they did for the computer industry.
You think I am a GEOS hater when in fact I am just the opposite. I love GEOS
for what it was when Geoworks ran the product, not the *ed up mess it
has become. Kapish?

Living in the past

Post by Pat » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:14:37

Hyubso,

The GPC its designed to be in the family of an applicance PC. A closed end
system that has limited scaleability. Great if it does exactly what you
want, but a potential * if it does not. If you are on an applicance PC,
like the GPC or the Brother notebook, for example, then you are more
insulated from the necessity of learning about memory managers and the like.
You're also closed out of doing all the things that a non-applicance PC is
capable of providing its owner.

For non-applicance PCs, if I had not read through scores of GEOS and DOS
related "Tweaking Issues" over the years, then I would be inclined to think
it wasn't a problem.

> > GEOS Simplicity: GEOS users invariably have to learn how to use DOS
memory
> > manger(s) or other facets central to being on an OS that relies heavily
on
> > DOS.

> i did not have to learn any dos comnads on the new  global pc i just got
> off of ebay.. in fact, it boots faster, is less noisy (actually totally
> silnet)it was easier to learn than windows 95.    alos, win95 relies
> more on dos than does geos.   try running win95 or 98 without himem.sys
> being loaded.

> > GEOS Quality: GEOS, Windows, Linux, and Macs all have great quality
output,
> > but GEOS is limited in the quality of the driver they have.

> a geos printout on an HP LaserJet 4L looks fabulous..  no reasonable
> person would say it is bad or limited or out of date or whatever other
> dumb term you come up wiht to describe what in reality is fabulous output.

> > When in fact, GEOS
> > lost the GENERAL FEATURES war when Windows 95 came out, and has been
trying
> > to catch up ever since.

> baloney.. geos wins hands down in general features such as speed and
> ease of installation, compatability among native apps. ( ever try
> getting the spell checker ot work on outlook express 6 and winxp -- ha
> ha -- spend a ton of money on new improved junk and you still have to
> hire a tech to fix microsoft mistakes / errors and ommissions!), return
> on investment in computer hardware,   also, a barebones win95 or win98
> installation leaves you wiht limited apps, unlike geos, where one gets
> full featuredd apps with the software package.    with winodws you are
> out big $$$ unless you bootleg your software or find it at goodwill or
> buy it used off of ebay.

> >For example, in the last 3 years, I doubt NDO or BBX
> > office apps have had many improvements.

> the office apps are so good it is not wise to spend limited  time adn
> money adding small features when  that $$ and time could be better spent
> improving the internet apps.

Living in the past

Post by Ray Kopczyns » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:12:53

<< The GPC its designed to be in the family of an applicance (sic) PC. >>

I agree.

<< A closed end system that has limited scaleability. >>

I agree.

<< Great if it does exactly what you want, but a potential * if it does
not. >>

LOL!  Apt analogy. I agree and am glad you do too.

Ray

Living in the past

Post by hyubs » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:48:36

the global pc is no more an "appliance pc" than a clone 486/100 running
windows with 8mb ram and a 4gb hard drive and a 56k modem.

if i erased the hard drive on the GPC and installed ms-dos6.2 adn
windows 3.1, or even installed  win95 or win98se, would you still call
it an appliance??

an appliance is a webtv..  a very limited in usefullness device which
totally useless if you do not have the overpriced webtv service..  a
computer running windows or geos is more versatile.. like being able to
write letters, do spreadsheets,  create nice graphics based documents,
use the internet, etc etc,etc,..     a sigle funciton device is an
appliance.. a multifunciton device is a computer..

and by the way, thanks to GWREPRAY emailing me a small patch
(update0.pak  -- which was incredibly easy to install.. a no brainer.. i
am so impressed with this GPC.. it is the real "idiots computer" for
people who do not want to buy idiot books), i was online with prodigy on
my global pc "appliance" doing things this evening like reading the new
york times online, checking rebates on computer part purchases and
checking my yahoo email..

and not one lockup either...

more later..