Living in the past

Living in the past

Post by Pat » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 02:09:26





> Yeah, right, we heard your humble opinion, we told you that we are not
> interested, now p*** off and leave us alone. (sorry)

I told you and your leader (the one who I demaned an apology from for using
the P-Word) to not use VULGAR language aimed at me. Now, its being
INCESSANTLY redirected at me by his minion and shows me DISRESPECT!

I will not leave. This is not Katter, its a public ng.

I have a right to express my opinion, INCESSANTLY, if necessary.

I don't want anyone who posts here to leave, no matter what their opinion,
as long as they obey the rules.

I have said it before and I'll say it again. I think GEOS is the cat's meow
for 286s and 386s, and most 486s and a few Pentiums, but above that, it
increasingly becomes counter productive to misappropriate the technology,
built into the hardware, by the wrong Operating Systems for the level of
hardware its running on. I wouldn't where a pair of sneakers with a Tuxedo
to a party at the French Embassy, why would I run GEOS on a P3 or a P4?

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Pat » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 02:10:25


Neet stuff!


> I was actually experiencing Windows WYSIWYS and WYGIWYG today! It was one
> document on the screen and three printouts on the printer......but if I
lay
> the three ones on top of each other on a lightboard, I would see the same
> document as on the screen. I did also solve the problem, a fruit Visual
Basic
> programming Q&D.

> BR,
> Hans


> > Windows = An evolving poem.

> > GEOS = An unfinished short story.

> > Great, COGM has become Sesame Street.



> > > Windows = WYSIWYS and WYGIWYG


> > > > GEOS = WYSIWYG   ;-)


 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Holger La » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 02:54:04






>> Yeah, right, we heard your humble opinion, we told you that we are not
>> interested, now p*** off and leave us alone. (sorry)

>I told you and your leader (the one who I demaned an apology from for using
>the P-Word) to not use VULGAR language aimed at me. Now, its being
>INCESSANTLY redirected at me by his minion and shows me DISRESPECT!

It's the kind of reaction you get when you start to get on people's
nerves.

Admitted, I should have put it in quotes, because most people  think
this without saying it.

Quote:>I will not leave. This is not Katter, its a public ng.

>I have a right to express my opinion, INCESSANTLY, if necessary.

The typical troll's answer: "I have the right to say that the
Holocaust never happened as often as I want and you won't stop me."

Quote:>I have said it before and I'll say it again. I think GEOS is the cat's meow
>for 286s and 386s, and most 486s and a few Pentiums, but above that, it
>increasingly becomes counter productive to misappropriate the technology,
>built into the hardware, by the wrong Operating Systems for the level of
>hardware its running on. I wouldn't where a pair of sneakers with a Tuxedo
>to a party at the French Embassy, why would I run GEOS on a P3 or a P4?

Then don't do it, full stop. Why do you want to tell others what they
should or shouldn't do?

Holger

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by C BLANK » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 13:58:34


***why would I run GEOS on a P3 or a P4?***

Why not, Pat? If speed is the reason to do it. The rest don't matter. OTOH
maybe I want my GEOS/WIN/DOS system all to run faster and maybe I want the
benefits of a heftier video card too.

Frankly the argument that you have to use software that takes advantage of all
the hardware can do is just not smart. People buy fast cars they can't open up
on the street safely or legally too. But it is popular to do so. People by huge
homes they just let lie idle 90% of the time but they do it. I buy a fast
computer, put GEOS on it for 90% of my needs and run Windows on it too the
other 10% (shared with my DOS apps). Same thing. GEOS does the job for my
needs.

Chip Blank
GUI
GeoGrafix

The GEOS Users International website is at:
http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Pat » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 01:05:30


 > buy a fast

Quote:> computer, put GEOS on it for 90% of my needs and run Windows on it too the
> other 10% (shared with my DOS apps). Same thing. GEOS does the job for my
> needs.

NOTE: The following has to do with you, Chip, but it also serves as an
example for a any new user who might otherwise be duped into thinking that
GEOS is a potential alternative for running Office apps on a contemporary
computer that runs Windows XP.

If you buy a new PC, its going to have Windows XP on it, unless you buy a
custom system where you have to separately acquire your own OS. Chip, since
you already own GEOS, you can go right ahead and add it as a DOS
application, even though Bob will probably tell you that DOS apps run
relatively inefficiently compared to Windows apps on XP. This is not by
design, it has to do with the NT kernel being optimized for 32 bit Windows
code.

Regards speed, I don't believe you get it. Windows XP is faster on a P4,
than GEOS, because the Windows XP kernel and drivers use the accelerators in
the hardware to do the heavy lifting. When the Virtual 386 "Dos_Mode" Engine
is given execution control, your GEOS is going to run without the most of
the advantages afforded Windows apps. Why? Because its counter-productive
for the NT kernel to do the emulation for 16 bit execution code. Windows 98
and Windows ME were not as pure in their allegience to 32 bit code *
in their kernels, due to their heritage with Windows 95, but the latest XP
kernel is the real thing!

In addition, hasn't the mantra around here, including past message by
yourself, been to extol the virtues of GEOS not needing a fast PC when it
runs as a stand-alone program? If I had a nickle for every extremist who
ranted that GEOS didn't need a fast PC, but Windows did.

In fact, the answer is that GEOS is faster than Windows on very low end PCs,
in the enty level Pentium range on down, where earlier versions of Windows
lacked the sophistication to take advantage of hardware to the max.



Quote:> ***why would I run GEOS on a P3 or a P4?***

> Why not, Pat? If speed is the reason to do it. The rest don't matter. OTOH
> maybe I want my GEOS/WIN/DOS system all to run faster and maybe I want the
> benefits of a heftier video card too.

> Frankly the argument that you have to use software that takes advantage of
all
> the hardware can do is just not smart. People buy fast cars they can't
open up
> on the street safely or legally too. But it is popular to do so. People by
huge
> homes they just let lie idle 90% of the time but they do it. I buy a fast
> computer, put GEOS on it for 90% of my needs and run Windows on it too the
> other 10% (shared with my DOS apps). Same thing. GEOS does the job for my
> needs.

> Chip Blank
> GUI
> GeoGrafix

> The GEOS Users International website is at:
> http://www.veryComputer.com/

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Pat » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 01:15:37




> The typical troll's answer: "I have the right to say that the
> Holocaust never happened as often as I want and you won't stop me."

Troll? My God. I was an original GEOS user in good standing. I still love
the original product where it was appropriate. But when I hear that my
fellow users saying that GEOS is still viable for new users and that GEOS
ought to be marketed beyond the parameters of its original charter (low end
PCs), then I have to cry foul!

Quote:> Then don't do it, full stop. Why do you want to tell others what they

should or shouldn't do?

Any user here who wants to tell others about GEOS, then I have a right to do
it, too. Why is this so tough to understand? Someone says something and I
read it and will respond if I am moved to comment in the afirmative or
negative.

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Holger La » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 02:33:31






>> The typical troll's answer: "I have the right to say that the
>> Holocaust never happened as often as I want and you won't stop me."

>Troll? My God. I was an original GEOS user in good standing.

Looks like you lost your good standing. It's not a credit you have
once and for good.

Quote:>Any user here who wants to tell others about GEOS, then I have a right to do
>it, too. Why is this so tough to understand? Someone says something and I
>read it and will respond if I am moved to comment in the afirmative or
>negative.

"Negative"... yes ... somehow this hits the nail on its head.

Holger

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by C BLANK » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 02:57:25



Date: Fri, Jun 20, 2003 12:05 EDT

 > buy a fast

Quote:> computer, put GEOS on it for 90% of my needs and run Windows on it too the
> other 10% (shared with my DOS apps). Same thing. GEOS does the job for my
> needs.

NOTE: The following has to do with you, Chip, but it also serves as an
example for a any new user who might otherwise be duped into thinking that
GEOS is a potential alternative for running Office apps on a contemporary
computer that runs Windows XP.***

A fast computer does not require that it be new or have XP on it.

***If you buy a new PC, its going to have Windows XP on it, unless you buy a
custom system where you have to separately acquire your own OS. ***

True.

***Chip, since
you already own GEOS, you can go right ahead and add it as a DOS
application, even though Bob will probably tell you that DOS apps run
relatively inefficiently compared to Windows apps on XP.***

Unimportant.

***Regards speed, I don't believe you get it. Windows XP is faster on a P4,
than GEOS, because the Windows XP kernel and drivers use the accelerators in
the hardware to do the heavy lifting. ***

The argument I am concerned with is not which is faster, but that my preferred
software is faster on a newer PC than on a 386 or 486.

***In addition, hasn't the mantra around here, including past message by
yourself, been to extol the virtues of GEOS not needing a fast PC when it
runs as a stand-alone program?***

Yes, to some degree. That does not mean that additional speed is not desireable
at times. Only that additional speed is not necessary for a satisfactory useage
of GEOS (286 systems aside). There is also the factor that buying a good used
fast system is cheaper than buying new, especially if you already have DOS
(including Windows versions of '95 and beyond that have it built in) and GEOS.

***If I had a nickle for every extremist who
ranted that GEOS didn't need a fast PC, but Windows did.***

GEOS doesn't, Windows does.

***In fact, the answer is that GEOS is faster than Windows on very low end PCs,
in the enty level Pentium range on down, where earlier versions of Windows
lacked the sophistication to take advantage of hardware to the max.

***

Unimportant.

Chip Blank
GUI
GeoGrafix

The GEOS Users International website is at:
http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Pat » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 05:27:58




> Looks like you lost your good standing. It's not a credit you have
> once and for good.

LOL! You can't undo my standing, its long lasting and goes back to Brian
Dougherty who I recognize as the only true God of GEOS, not the false Gods
who would have you build an altar to them. And certainly not to the lemmings
who worship to false Gods.

Quote:> "Negative"... yes ... somehow this hits the nail on its head.

When you were a baby did your parents say "Holger, stop doing that. Stop. DO
NOT do that, its wrong". Of course they did, all parents say things negative
to their children who they love but must say NO when it is necseeary.
Well..................................... ;-)
 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Pat » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 05:42:58





> The argument I am concerned with is not which is faster, but that my
preferred
> software is faster on a newer PC than on a 386 or 486.

Everything is scaleable. Windows is quicker on faster PCs, too. Duuuuhhhhhh!

So what is your point?

Quote:> Yes, to some degree. That does not mean that additional speed is not
desireable
> at times.

Thank You Jesus!!!!!

CHECKMATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by C BLANK » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 14:37:57


***> Yes, to some degree. That does not mean that additional speed is not
desireable

Quote:> at times.

Thank You Jesus!!!!!

CHECKMATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***

Pat, you seem to be awfully limited in your computer desires. All you think
important is speed? After a certain point no speed improvement is important
(unless you are talking about handling the huge code files of Windows. Besides
blazing speed improvements one must consider the ease, simplicity, quality,
features and values of GEOS. These are far more important than unneeded speed
improvements, and as such I settle for the satisfactory speed of what I have
and can get cheaply as replacement hardware is required by parts wearing out.
Speed is nice, but it is down the list of priorities. So don't get too e*d.

Chip Blank
GUI
GeoGrafix

The GEOS Users International website is at:
http://www.veryComputer.com/

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Bob » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 02:20:49


Chip, your lack of computer knowledge is painfully obvious.



Quote:> ***> Yes, to some degree. That does not mean that additional speed is not
> desireable
> > at times.

> Thank You Jesus!!!!!

> CHECKMATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***

> Pat, you seem to be awfully limited in your computer desires. All you
think
> important is speed? After a certain point no speed improvement is
important
> (unless you are talking about handling the huge code files of Windows.
Besides
> blazing speed improvements one must consider the ease, simplicity,
quality,
> features and values of GEOS. These are far more important than unneeded
speed
> improvements, and as such I settle for the satisfactory speed of what I
have
> and can get cheaply as replacement hardware is required by parts wearing
out.
> Speed is nice, but it is down the list of priorities. So don't get too
e*d.

> Chip Blank
> GUI
> GeoGrafix

> The GEOS Users International website is at:
> http://www.veryComputer.com/

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Pat » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:14:06


Personally, I need speed for video encoding applications. That's me! Speed
is also needed if you're running any streaming over the Internet, especially
high speed links (eg. Comcast or Verizon Broadband).  For plain old low end
word processing and low end spreadsheets, then Speed is not needed. However,
the speed kind of goes hand in glove with buying a new PC. I'd love to hear
the conversation you might have with a salesman about wanting a discount
because your new PC is over configured for your under powered OS of choice.
<g>

GEOS Simplicity: GEOS users invariably have to learn how to use DOS memory
manger(s) or other facets central to being on an OS that relies heavily on
DOS.

GEOS Quality: GEOS, Windows, Linux, and Macs all have great quality output,
but GEOS is limited in the quality of the driver they have. What do I mean
by this? GEOS is so far behind the curve since it last had a driver update
to the core that its been living off of backwards compatibility with older
configurations. Even the time honored technique of Postscript support is now
tired and old. Besides, with Apple and Microsoft embracing True Type,
Postscript printers are kind of far and few between.

GEOS Features and Values: Not sure what is meant by Values. Family Values?
<BG> Well, as far as features are concerned, I guess you must be referring
to what GEOS has that other OS do not have and then you are promoting those
features to be First Prize winners amongst all other OS. When in fact, GEOS
lost the GENERAL FEATURES war when Windows 95 came out, and has been trying
to catch up ever since. For example, in the last 3 years, I doubt NDO or BBX
office apps have had many improvements. NOTE: I was going to say "any
improvements", but I figured there must have been a couple.



Quote:> ***> Yes, to some degree. That does not mean that additional speed is not
> desireable
> > at times.

> Thank You Jesus!!!!!

> CHECKMATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***

> Pat, you seem to be awfully limited in your computer desires. All you
think
> important is speed? After a certain point no speed improvement is
important
> (unless you are talking about handling the huge code files of Windows.
Besides
> blazing speed improvements one must consider the ease, simplicity,
quality,
> features and values of GEOS. These are far more important than unneeded
speed
> improvements, and as such I settle for the satisfactory speed of what I
have
> and can get cheaply as replacement hardware is required by parts wearing
out.
> Speed is nice, but it is down the list of priorities. So don't get too
e*d.

> Chip Blank
> GUI
> GeoGrafix

> The GEOS Users International website is at:
> http://www.veryComputer.com/

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Holger La » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 19:53:21



>> Looks like you lost your good standing. It's not a credit you have
>> once and for good.

>LOL! You can't undo my standing, its long lasting and goes back to Brian
>Dougherty who I recognize as the only true God of GEOS,

God??? You are weird, man. People believe in all sorts of silly
things, but this was the silliest religious statement I ever heard.

Quote:>> "Negative"... yes ... somehow this hits the nail on its head.

>When you were a baby did your parents say "Holger, stop doing that. Stop. DO
>NOT do that, its wrong". Of course they did, all parents say things negative
>to their children who they love but must say NO when it is necseeary.
>Well..................................... ;-)

First of all, you are not daddy, you are just a * on the other
end of our Internet connection. What gives you the right to say "Don't
do that."?

Secondly: You should know very well that saying NO makes not even half
of what parenting is all about.

Holger

 
 
 

Living in the past

Post by Bob » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 05:52:08



Quote:> What gives you the right to say "Don't
> do that."?
> Holger

What give you the right to say; "Do that?"