Living in the past

Post by Bob » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 01:38:35

There once was a place for GEOS. That was then. This is now. Every company
that has attempted to retain that long ago market for GEOS has failed. How
much evidence does one need to realize that the market for the present
incarnation of GEOS is non-existent? Even MyTurn throwing millions at it
failed. So, instead of saying GEOS is of value in today's market, why not do
GEOS a favor and admit it isn't. Now all's you gotta do is build one that is
of value in today's market. Hiding your head in the sand and talking about
low system requirements and all this, (in a nutshell) legacy value is doing
GEOS a huge disfavor. GEOS may actually find a market if it becomes 32-bit,
a self-contained OS with Networking capabilities), and supports today's
hardware, and today's computing needs. Not just DTP, but fun stuff. Like
ripping, like the Internet. like DVD's and USB, and RW's and on, and on.....

Living in the past

Post by hyubs » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 10:44:02

oh bob, there you go again ...

the concept behind the MYTURN pc is still viable and a mytunr like pc in
some form would do the world a lot of good...

anyhow, where are the $300 windows computers??  i can't find any, not
new ones anyway,   ony under $300 computer i see come with linux

i say, the under $300 computers should come preinstalled with dos+geos..
   , and endusers wanting windows can easilly install windows onto the
same partition if they can not live with the geos software on the pc.

compare that to the bewildering $199.00 generic linux PCs being sold at
fry's, where Fry's charges a service fee to REMOVE the linux
partition/free linux software (can you believe it??  making money by
removing software, not by selling and/or installing it!!!  I can't stop
laughing!!!!) so customers can install their own copy of windows..

  it would be cheaper and easier on the customer adn the manufacturer if
the computer came with a ****blank****   hard drive

  ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!..

t find any

> There once was a place for GEOS. That was then. This is now. Every company
> that has attempted to retain that long ago market for GEOS has failed. How
> much evidence does one need to realize that the market for the present
> incarnation of GEOS is non-existent? Even MyTurn throwing millions at it
> failed. So, instead of saying GEOS is of value in today's market, why not do
> GEOS a favor and admit it isn't. Now all's you gotta do is build one that is
> of value in today's market. Hiding your head in the sand and talking about
> low system requirements and all this, (in a nutshell) legacy value is doing
> GEOS a huge disfavor. GEOS may actually find a market if it becomes 32-bit,
> a self-contained OS with Networking capabilities), and supports today's
> hardware, and today's computing needs. Not just DTP, but fun stuff. Like
> ripping, like the Internet. like DVD's and USB, and RW's and on, and on.....

Living in the past

***Subject: Living in the past

Date: Thu, Jun 5, 2003 12:38 EDT

[...]
***

For those that want that as a 'must' that is fine. But, in the meantime, GEOS
has plenty to offer, and that needs to be effectively marketed, not given up
on. GEOS can be sold effectively.

Chip Blank
GUI
GeoGrafix

The GEOS Users International website is at:
http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

Living in the past

Post by J?rg Polzf » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 18:35:58

Hi!

> There once was a place for GEOS. That was then. ...

So why don't you just take your medicine and go on?

J?rg

Living in the past

Post by Holger La » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 00:55:39

>GEOS may actually find a market if it becomes 32-bit,
>a self-contained OS with Networking capabilities), and supports today's
>hardware, and today's computing needs. Not just DTP, but fun stuff. Like
>ripping, like the Internet. like DVD's and USB, and RW's and on, and on.....

Agreed, but, realistically, this can only be achieved one step at a
time. Just be patient and make the best of what is there now. (or move
on if you are fed up with it. I am not....)

Holger

Living in the past

Post by Pat » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 23:23:19

Quote:> Agreed, but, realistically, this can only be achieved one step at a
> time. Just be patient and make the best of what is there now. (or move
> on if you are fed up with it. I am not....)

Holger, this is ridiculous. Waiting for nothing to happen is nuts. GEOS is
as good as it will ever be unless someone were to pour in Millions and that
will never happen. Also, the sad part is that you sound like there is no
alternative to a 32-bit GEOS, when Windows eats the current GEOS' lunch in
every way, shape, or form. Again, you use Windows more than any other OS and
that include the majority of the GEOS Extremists, which itself is a tiny
group of GEOS users living amongst the saner heads out there who know the
score.

Living in the past

Post by C BLANK » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 09:38:36

***Holger, this is ridiculous. Waiting for nothing to happen is nuts. GEOS is
as good as it will ever be unless someone were to pour in Millions and that
will never happen***

Then leave the newsgroup, Pat. There is evidently nothing further here for you.

Chip Blank
GUI
GeoGrafix

The GEOS Users International website is at:
http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

Living in the past

Post by Bob » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 10:15:52

Who elected you king of COGM? Why don't you leave? You never suggest any
help to questions? A perfect example is the recent post from someone running
under XP. If you followed this ng you would have been able to send them to
resources as John did. So, IMHO as you are useless except to blindly try to
defend an outdate 16-bit DOS-Based GUI with inane ramblings about 386/486
PC's and what you think PC users do with PC's, why don't u leave? You have
no right to tell anyone to leave, nor do I. At least I admit it. You'd make
a great Nazi chip-a-roo.

Quote:> ***Holger, this is ridiculous. Waiting for nothing to happen is nuts. GEOS

Date: Sat, Jun 7, 2003 21:15 EDT

Who elected you king of COGM? Why don't you leave? You never suggest any
help to questions? A perfect example is the recent post from someone running
under XP. If you followed this ng you would have been able to send them to
resources as John did. So, IMHO as you are useless except to blindly try to
defend an outdate 16-bit DOS-Based GUI with inane ramblings about 386/486
PC's and what you think PC users do with PC's, why don't u leave? You have
no right to tell anyone to leave, nor do I. At least I admit it. You'd make
a great Nazi chip-a-roo.
***

As usual, Bob, you can't read for meaning and your assumptions are foolish. I
answer questions for people all the time a variety of places and a variety of
ways. I point and link resources for people to find answers from my site and
via email. I would prefer giving the answer to questions directly, however, so
I ask for some help where I do not know the answer personally. I recently did
that in here. I got garbage from you and help from John.

As to Pat, and frankly you, I suggested a course of useful action for him.
Hopefully he will take it or become more useful in here. You might consider the
same.

As to GEOS and PC use, I am sure I do more of a normal productivity nature than
you, and am well versed in what can get the job done...jobs of different kinds.
I also have a handle on why people have and buy what they do related to
computers. What I do that you mainly don't seem to like is defend GEOS as
viable and prove it by the work I do every day. What your problem is, I don't
care, but you have definitely proven yourself to be a conventional and narrow
minded thinker. To say GEOS is outdated, implying is is unable to get
substantial work done, is simple minded and uninformed as well, and is
misleading to new users.

Chip Blank
GUI
GeoGrafix

The GEOS Users International website is at:
http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

Living in the past

Post by Pat » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 07:53:18

Its enough that you extremists control all the venues leading to what is
left of GEOS (e.g. TVA Feline, COGM, All the "In Memoriam" web sites), and
now you want ZERO representation of those who oppose your specific views.
And please save me the STOCK REPLY. "Well Pat, I can accept opposition but
you are a negative person...yada..yada..yada". Pal, welcome to the club of
what a newsgroup is all about. Namely, its going to get the broad spectrum
and I obey the posting rules around here, as well as you. Silencing me would
be tantamount to what Stalin did during his rein of terror.

Post by Bob » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 08:30:59

> Date: Sat, Jun 7, 2003 21:15 EDT

> As to GEOS and PC use, I am sure I do more of a normal productivity nature
than
> you,
> Chip Blank

I make a living in the IT field. GEOS servers NO purpose. NONE.

Living in the past

Post by Richard Stein » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 18:31:58

spake unto us, saying:

Quote:>I make a living in the IT field. GEOS servers NO purpose. NONE.

Not true.  Some of us actually still find GeoDraw to be a useful app,
and I also use GeoManager as a filemanager under DOS on the occasions
that I boot into a pure DOS environment.

I'm not sure what relevance your IT employment has; I've known dozens
of IT folks with 20-30 years in the field who didn't know much at all
about PC's or PC software.  :-)

--
 -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
    OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Win95 + DOS + PC/GEOS = PC Hobbyist Heaven! :-)

Living in the past

Post by Holger La » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 19:07:00

>> Agreed, but, realistically, this can only be achieved one step at a
>> time. Just be patient and make the best of what is there now. (or move
>> on if you are fed up with it. I am not....)

>Holger, this is ridiculous. Waiting for nothing to happen is nuts.

[Yadda-Yadda-Bla-Bla deleted...]

You are obviously one of those people who have to move on. I am not
holding you back. So cool down.

Holger

Living in the past

Post by Holger La » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 19:13:59

>Pal, welcome to the club of
>what a newsgroup is all about.

Beg to differ: Newsgroups were invented to be a useful communication
tool, but are often misused as a means to stir trouble among normally
good-natured people.

At least you now admitted to be a troll.

Keep on spluttering about, if you wish, but at least you could try to
be funny and entertaining...

Holger

Living in the past

Post by hyubs » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 04:34:20

you benefit from "workfare" in the IT field..

  windows serves as your personal "full employment program"  and that is
why you push it.