Using Atech Alltype

Post by Stephen Haffl » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> I got a copy of Atech Alltype at a surplus warehouse for US $2.50 (!)
> and started converting a few TrueType fonts (Arial and Times New Roman)
> into the Nimbus Q format used by Geos. Here's my experience.

> TrueType separates the various styles (normal, bold, italic,
> bold-italic) into separate font files. When I select only the normal
<SNIP>
> So, does anyone have any luck getting high-quality fonts under Geos with
> Alltype?

I believe what you are seeing is a big limitation of the True Type font format.  I converted
some fonts from Adobe Type I and have been pleased with the results (although some of the more
complex fonts would not successfully convert).

Why convert Ariel and Times New Roman since the equivalents are already there in URW Roman and
URW Sans?

Stephen Haffly
Team OS/2   Team GEOS -- OS/2 and New Deal Office 98 - What a combo!

Using Atech Alltype

Post by Raymond Anco » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Why convert Ariel and Times New Roman since the equivalents are already there in URW Roman and
> URW Sans?

I wanted to get the metrics and appearance *exactly*, which wasn't what
turned out in the end.

--
Ravin' Ray
your friendly neighborhood paleontologist

Using Atech Alltype

Post by NDRepMa » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>I got a copy of Atech Alltype at a surplus warehouse for US $2.50 (!)
>and started converting a few TrueType fonts (Arial and Times New Roman)
>into the Nimbus Q format used by Geos.

FYI
Pagetech, the company that bought Alltype, once restricted its sale to
professionals, and tried to job out individual font services to consumers (at
industrial prices). Well, they've changed that and are now selling the software
again to consumers... hold onto to your wallet... they only want $249 per copy.
http://www.convertafont.com/proatc.htm

-MarkR

not a New Deal employee ][ http://www.breadbox.com/tbc/tbc1a
tbcMarkR -The Breadbox Channel  ][      irc.breadbox.com
GEOS Chats nightly 9-10 EST       ][ #TheBreadboxChannel

Using Atech Alltype

Post by settummanque or blackeag » Sat, 17 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Well then, my copy of Alltype which I purchased from Computer Bargains IS a
bargain....I paid 9.99 for it!!

Settummanque!

settummanque, the blackeagle ((MAJ) Mike Walton)

Rose Walton Personal Computing Coaching, Burnsville, MN
<URL::http://users.aol.com/rwcoaching/>
Be Prepared for Scouting's new Y2K pubs...get My Binder!!

Using Atech Alltype

Post by Jens-Michael Gros » Sat, 17 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Well then, my copy of Alltype which I purchased from Computer Bargains IS a
> bargain....I paid 9.99 for it!!

Is there another copy available?

Grossibaer

Using Atech Alltype

Post by settummanque or blackeag » Sun, 18 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hey Jens:

Nope, when I purchased it, they were going out of business....

Post by Dominique Voca » Sun, 18 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Hey Jens:

> Nope, when I purchased it, they were going out of business....

No pun intended I suppose :-)

Dom

1. Using Atech Alltype

Convert the fonts individually - and don't go by the on screen appearence. The
screen fonts are often deceiving.

Alltype is not the best at creating other faces from "normal" fonts, and you
should play around with the setting if you create italics or bolds from normal
fonts, rather than accept what Alltype gives you for the variations. But,
honestly, you are still better off directly converting exisiting faces rather
than creating variations - kerning usually stinks on converted variations.

(I can't believe that I am still using a program I bought in 1992 or 3, but I
am - mostly for variations on Truetype fonts for use in that format, and once
in a while for ATM fonts to hand off to a Mac....)

          -=>epm<=-

     In matters of truth and justice,
     there is no difference between large and small problems,
     for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same.
                                          - Albert Einstein

2. Windows Auth and Redirect question

3. Alltype, anyone?

4. Unauthorized to change password.

5. Excel - Using row count as the boundary for a range using VBA

6. CVS question

7. Problem using Printout method in Excel using VBA

8. Question about zip.h/zip.c used in zlib using VB...

9. Using vxworks to access the PCI devices on a PC using a vxsim target

10. Problem using SockLib on VxWorks using Tornado

11. looking for used Brisque Impose / other used RIP's