How to run GEOS under NT

Post by James D. Beard » Tue, 28 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Howdy folks,

I just wanted to say that I finally had time this weekend to install and play
with the Nokia SDK. I was all set to spend the entire weekend slaving over the
newbie documentation and at least starting on one of the many projects that
have been jumping around in my head the last few years. Then I found out the
Nokia SDK came with a GEOS 3.X emulator, and all that went out the window. :-)

Imagine my joy when I double clicked on LOADER.EXE in NT and up popped a
640x480 mono VGA desktop screen! I have to use NT at work, and I recently
started using it at home, too. So now I can have the best of both worlds! Even
the printer and comm ports work. I'm greatly impressed!

It looks exactly like the New Deal Beta, even down to the fax stuff, in/out
boxes, mouse bug, and preferences window bug. It took me all of 20 minutes to
get it running under regular DOS, but it's not exactly a smooth transition
since at least at this point I have to use completely different GEOS.INI
files.

Installation is a breaze, but it does chew up a fair amount of disk space. It
is, after all, a windows application. :-)  But I'm sure you can get rid of
most of the actual SDK stuff if you want, but I haven't tried it yet.

I guess it's time to actually do some GEOS developement now. :-)

James D. Bearden

WWW: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jbearden/
SIG: What goes around comes around. It's karma, baby!