Viewing GEOS files

Post by Soap » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 02:06:20

I used to have a PC that ran PCGEOS as an operating system. I wrote many
documents using its word processor. I am now running W2K. Is there a way I
can view the documents that were written in PCGEOS? I would at least like
to print them out so I can scan them into word.

Viewing GEOS files

Post by Jens-Michael Gros » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 09:54:44

Soapm schrieb:

Quote:

> I used to have a PC that ran PCGEOS as an operating system. I wrote many
> documents using its word processor. I am now running W2K. Is there a way I
> can view the documents that were written in PCGEOS? I would at least like
> to print them out so I can scan them into word.

You can install and run GEOS under W2K (there are some documents out
there describing how to do that) and you can usually print out documents
form GEOS using the DOS printer setting and a capturing printer driver
in W2K.

There is no way to view/print GEOS documents inside Windoze because the
viewing/priting applcation would need to run all the GEOS system
libraries for text and graphics handling. And these libraries only run
under GEOS.
There is no 'file format' description for a converter. GEOS documents
are direct representations of the working memory of their creating
application. Nobody but the creating application knows how to handle
them.

Grossibaer

p.s.: if you have access to a GEOS system and do not need to work on
your documents later, you can print your documents to a PostScript file
and then use them under Windows. (e.g. with GhostScript, either
printing/viewing or converting to PDF).
--
Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
they are not.

Viewing GEOS files

Post by Holger La » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 20:00:37

Quote:>I used to have a PC that ran PCGEOS as an operating system. I wrote many
>documents using its word processor. I am now running W2K. Is there a way I
>can view the documents that were written in PCGEOS? I would at least like
>to print them out so I can scan them into word.

There is a utility called WordPort that can do the conversion for you.
Try this URL:

http://www.acii.com/wpt.htm

HTH

Holger

Viewing GEOS files

Post by Jens-Michael Gros » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 02:26:38

Holger Laux schrieb:

> >I used to have a PC that ran PCGEOS as an operating system. I wrote many
> >documents using its word processor. I am now running W2K. Is there a way I
> >can view the documents that were written in PCGEOS? I would at least like
> >to print them out so I can scan them into word.

> There is a utility called WordPort that can do the conversion for you.
> Try this URL:

> http://www.acii.com/wpt.htm

Wordport only supports Writer files and only a (small) fraction of them.
Actually it does only marginally more than converting geoWrite 1.2 files
without anything else but plain text. No graphics layer, no master
pages, header and footer with more than plain text are not supported too
and, and, and.

I tried it some years ago and only very few of my files did convert.
WordPort is a good tool for converting DOS/Windows text formats, but it
miserably fails with Writer docs. The result is only marginally better
than a run with salvage.exe.

Grossibaer

--
Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
they are not.

Viewing GEOS files

Post by Bob » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 05:48:29

Quote:> Thanks Jens and Holger for your responses. Unfortunately I do not have the
> GOES operating system anymore as that PC is long gone. Is there a place I
> can download it?

> Also, I tried wordport and it is a slick little application. I was able to
> convert some old word perfect stuff I had on a 5" floppy but it is saying
> that it does not recognize these documents as Geowrite. I am sure that
> these documents were written with PC GEOS v1.2. I have attached a sample.
> Any other ideas how to convert them?

open them in  notepad. at least you'll be able to read/copy the text. then
reformat in your WP.

Viewing GEOS files

Post by Soap » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 06:46:25

Tie both my nuts to a tree and let the bear loose. You mean all these
years I have been trying to read these files and they are viewable in
notepad? Just kidding, I am not able to view them in Notepad unless you
have away to make it work...

> > Thanks Jens and Holger for your responses. Unfortunately I do not have
the
> > GOES operating system anymore as that PC is long gone. Is there a
place I
> > can download it?

> > Also, I tried wordport and it is a slick little application. I was
able to
> > convert some old word perfect stuff I had on a 5" floppy but it is
saying
> > that it does not recognize these documents as Geowrite. I am sure that
> > these documents were written with PC GEOS v1.2. I have attached a
sample.
> > Any other ideas how to convert them?

> open them in  notepad. at least you'll be able to read/copy the text.
then
> reformat in your WP.

Viewing GEOS files

Post by Fred Koerp » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 07:58:00

Moin Jens-Michael,

am 07.04.03 schriebst du

Quote:>> There is a utility called WordPort that can do the conversion for
>> you. Try this URL:

>> http://www.acii.com/wpt.htm
> Wordport only supports Writer files and only a (small) fraction of
> them. Actually it does only marginally more than converting geoWrite
> 1.2 files without anything else but plain text. No graphics layer, no
> master pages, header and footer with more than plain text are not
> supported too and, and, and.

Well, Perhaps he can try to export his documents as RTF - no grafics,
but the formated text is exported well.

cu, Fred

Fido 2:2437/22.0 // BBS +49 511 2708643 // Fax +49 511 2708643
www.was-ist-fido.de // www.bbsliste.de // www.crosspoint.de

Viewing GEOS files

Post by Soap » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 11:13:30

Quote:

> Wordport only supports Writer files and only a (small) fraction of them.
> Actually it does only marginally more than converting geoWrite 1.2 files
> without anything else but plain text. No graphics layer, no master
> pages, header and footer with more than plain text are not supported too
> and, and, and.

This is what I am looking for. The documents are mostly manuscripts so
they have no graphics. I am not even worried about the formatting. I just
want the information that is in them. If I could just print them I could
then scan them back in with textbridge...

Whenever I set Wordport to Geowrite I get an error saying, "Could not
identify" for the source file. I am fairly sure my OS was GEOWorks version
1.2.

 I found the old harddrive with the operating system on it (I think) so I
guess I will have to find a junker computer to stick it in and maybe I can
get it to boot. I am running win2k and have moved the files to my computer
but when I click the geos.bat file I get a dos emulator flash on the
screen then it goes away. I tried the fix for NT and still get nothing
else. I remember there was a way in Win95 to make an application run in
DOS mode but I can't figure out how to do that with Win2K.

Viewing GEOS files

Post by Helen » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 11:39:03

Quote:>Just kidding, I am not able to view them in Notepad unless you
>have away to make it work...

While in Windoze, just double click on a Geos file (with a .000 extension) and
respond to open w/Notepad. DONE!!! You will have to wade thru some "garbage" to
get to the text part of the file, but it's there! Some special marks, such as
"quotes" may have to be re-done, but basically, the text is there!
Helene in Tampa,
coming out of "lurk" mode to help...
I STILL love to use this program!

Viewing GEOS files

Post by Jens-Michael Gros » Fri, 11 Apr 2003 01:06:42

HeleneB schrieb:

Quote:

> >Just kidding, I am not able to view them in Notepad unless you
> >have away to make it work...

> While in Windoze, just double click on a Geos file (with a .000 extension) and
> respond to open w/Notepad. DONE!!! You will have to wade thru some "garbage" to
> get to the text part of the file, but it's there! Some special marks, such as
> "quotes" may have to be re-done, but basically, the text is there!

Well, the problem is that depending on the amount of editing done to the
source file, the text can be really scrambled.

To extract the plain text elements from any GEOS file, you can use the
salvage.exe rogram in teh GEOS directory (I'm not sure whether it was
already there in 1.2, but it is since 2.0). It will identfy any text
objects and rip the text into an ASCII file.

No formatting and maybe not hte correct order of all the text (dependign
on the amount of editing on the original file) and some artifacts of
erratically identified text blocks, but it works way better (and much
faster) than notepad.
(I'd prefer UltraEdit for Windows over Notepad anyway for anything that
is partly text, partly binary data, as I prefer it as editor for any
plain text data such as sourcecodes too)

Grossibaer

--
Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
they are not.

1. GEOS 1.2 View option

Is it is possible to reset the default display for GeoWrite
version 1.2 (QuickStart) do that it displays at 125 or 150 per
cent?   I'm tinkering with a system for a vision-impaired lady,
and I've been able to reset the system display fonts, but not
sure where in the INI file I should look for the word processesor
display.

Thanks in advance,

Dan.

2. OCX for DWG files

3. Using files from Robolab pilot as seed files for inventor level or lab view

4. How do you back up the Palm completely? and Modem thru cradle!

5. How can I print a PDF-File in MS Access without viewing the file?

6. Direct connection of two CDDI controllers....

7. DWG files convert as PDF file format as similar viewing

8. rlogin running Ultrix 4.1 to SUN machines