Error KR-07

Post by Soap » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 02:55:24

I downloaded and installed enslite so I can view my old GEOS documents. I
go through the setup and install the mouse and printer. They both test ok.
At the very last screen I get a successful installation then a "system
error code: KR-07". Anyone know what gives with this?

Error KR-07

Post by Jens-Michael Gros » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 09:57:38

Soapm schrieb:

Quote:

> I downloaded and installed enslite so I can view my old GEOS documents. I
> go through the setup and install the mouse and printer. They both test ok.
> At the very last screen I get a successful installation then a "system
> error code: KR-07". Anyone know what gives with this?

This can have many reasons. One possible reason is that your computer is
too fast. Above somewhere between 800 and 1600 MHz, Ensemble lite won't
run anymore. The only way to make it run on those systems is to disable
the processor cache in the BIOS settings (which makes your computer a
100-200MHz Pentium).

Grossibaer
--
Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
they are not.

Error KR-07

Post by Bob » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 05:46:51

Quote:> This can have many reasons. One possible reason is that your computer is
> too fast. Above somewhere between 800 and >
> Grossibaer

what Jens means is that on any decent $400 PC, or less if u just do
mainboard and CPU, GEOS won't run. Course BBX has know this for quite some
time but there is no fix, as there is no money to pay someone to fix it, and
then, there is no way to distribute that fix, or let folks know there is a
fix. And why bother really? Who wants to run GEOS on a P4 2.4GHz which u can
pick up dirt cheap, with 512MB RAM, and a 80 plus GB HD and a 64 MB Vid
card?

1. NewBasic KR-07 *splat*

The beta-test team will be proud of me. I can make NewBasic KR-07 on
demand.

The code to do so is available from:

        http://wired.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~dg/cgi-bin/getpage.cgi?/GEOS

It's console.zip at the bottom. Unzip this into /NDO with -d, and run
console.bas. Try typing random gibberish into the window and pressing
return several times. After some iterations it'll fall over. This seems to
be due to REDIM PRESERVE'ing a string array several times. The code above
is actually the *stable* version; an alternate algorithm, which I no
longer have, alas, would KR-07 every time.

Another bug: NewBasic does not test to see if a file is open before
writing to it. This means that if you open a .BAS file in, say, TextEdit
and then save it from NewBasic then Really Bad Things happen. The file
gets filled with gibberish. If you save twice, then you lose both the main
file and the backup. I had to write the Terminal component of the above
file twice because of this.

Suspicious happenings: as I use the builder, delays start happening.
Strange pauses appear when I save or run, which gradually get longer and
longer until the machine either locks up completely or produces
run-out-of-conventional-memory errors.

UI issues: keyboard shortcuts in the main builder window (the one with the
menus in it) don't work from the editor. So, you can't use CTRL+S to save
or ALT+R to run. You have to manually push the mouse over and navigate the
menu. It's highly annoying. Also, the editor window could really use an
auto-indent feature.

Oh, yes, and NewBasic programmers may (or may not) be interested in the
Terminal module in the file above. This provides a simple scrolling
console window into which a program can write text, and retrieve
characters from the user. All nicely modularised (I do like the dynamic

+- David Given ---------------McQ-+ "We must go out and utterly crush every

+- http://wired.st-and.ac.uk/~dg -+ Brin, paraphrased

2. Help! User Rights Problem

3. Help...KR-09 & 07 error message

4. Case History of a Phone Rip-Off (Part 1)

5. PostScript monthly FAQ v2.3 07-07-94 [07-10 of 11]

6. A note about games PCs vs. Consoles continue

7. WorldBlazer questions

8. KR-29 error question again

9. KR-09 ERRORS HELP

10. KR-09 Error Message - Can't Start NDO