geos would be the perfect pda os

Post by dosma » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 19:15:35

i thing geos would be good as a pda os

geos would be the perfect pda os

Post by Jens-Michael Gros » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 20:55:22

dosman schrieb:

Quote:

> i thing geos would be good as a pda os

Yes, indeed, and it is/was one already.
The Zoomer, the HP OmniGo 100/110 and the Nokia Communicators 9000 and
9110 did have GEOS.
Unfortunately, just _because_ GEOS was/is a perfect PDA system, these
devices were out when the PDA/Smartphone hype haven't started. HP sold
the OmniGo for >700DM (about >350$), PDA connectivity pack sold
separately. Nobody wanted such a device. Nobody could imagine how useful
this could be. Well, the 9110, the last of them, sold well, but the
others faile because of lack of interest and too-high prices. Too ahead
of their time. So far ahead that even the manufacturers and their
marketing divisions didn't know what to do with them and how to place
them on the market.

This applies to the history of PDAs as well as to the GEOS history too:
when I started with GEOS in 1990 or so, I couldn't imagine that I'd see
amny of the 1990 features of GEOS introduced many years later as 'new,
great achievements' in a certain other OS. Such a True Type fonts, long
filenames, object orientation, UI skins and many more.

Being ahead of the time doesn't pay (except maybe for some prices from
the press). Coming just in time (or even a bit later, which further
reduces the development costs drastically) pays much better. And when
people have already forgotten who really introduced a technology in the
past, one can also advertise this copied ideas as 'new'.

Grossibaer

--
Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
they are not.

Post by Frits Bomme » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 23:16:24

> i thing geos would be good as a pda os

It once was meant as PDA-OS and has been used for this purpose.
Devices: Casio Zoomer, Tandy Zoomer, HP Omnigo 100 en 200 and Nokia
9000 / 9100 communicator and some obscure Japanese devices like the
Sharp Genio.

Post by Hans Lindgre » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 04:04:47

> i thing geos would be good as a pda os

PDA OS....well that was years ago........it would still fit on a PDA and
do a very good job.......the problem is the synchronization......that would
cost a lot of work, to get it to work  with windows and so on........Myturn
had a very interesting idea of a simple home-computer......the problem was
the name.......GlobalPC refers to something very flexible and PC:s........the
management of the company was lousy......they seem to spend a lot of money......and
I think that GEOS32 would have been necessary......really good surfing and
email is vital....... Otherwise GEOS nor the hardware platform was bad! The
AMD Elan chips are very good, and the hardware is internally optimized, and
works very well for its purpose, in many cases better than PC:s.

One more Myturn problem was also the marketing, this is not a kind of product
that appeals to people with low income or people that have struggled with
PCs. They will never buy anything that is different of what other people
buys. This kind of product is a niche product, that appeal many kinds of
people. That is the problem and the asset of the product.

BR,
Hans

geos would be the perfect pda os

Post by Bob » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 04:35:59

It has failed in that market also.

Quote:> i thing geos would be good as a pda os

geos would be the perfect pda os

Post by hyubs » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 05:35:34

geos did not fail in that market,

geos got crowded out of the pda and cell phone markets, which msft
threatened and supported and bought and distorted in order to make its
inferior WinCE *.

> It has failed in that market also.

>>i thing geos would be good as a pda os

geos would be the perfect pda os

Post by Bob » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 07:15:05

It is no longer supported. It is no longer in production, but it didn't
fail. Brilliant!

> geos did not fail in that market,

> geos got crowded out of the pda and cell phone markets, which msft
> threatened and supported and bought and distorted in order to make its
> inferior WinCE *.

> > It has failed in that market also.

> >>i thing geos would be good as a pda os

geos would be the perfect pda os

Post by Pat » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 07:18:02

Hyubso,

Mr. Amateur, why not say nothing when you don't know what the heck you're
talking about in the first place. You've got one mode. You hate Microsoft
and use them as an excuse for everything that goes wrong in the world!

SOME HISTORY:

I attended most of the industry trade shows for the early precursors of
today's modern PDAs, and Microsoft had nothing but quasi PDAs in the form of
tablets that were about the size of a notebook running a custom Windows 3.0.
Microsoft offered ZERO competition throughout the Zoomer period and ALL the
other iterations of GEOS based PDAs. No Microsoft was in sight! Then
Geoworks decided, on their own, that PDAs were not where they wanted to be
and went with Smartphones. Since that decision, Geoworks never pursued PDAs
again, except for what was integrated into a cell phone, and that is not
what I would call a pure PDA device, like the Zoomer.

THE BIRTH OF MODERN PDAs:

The man who originally called Brian Dougherty and told Brian that he wanted
a special GEOS for a Zoomer project is Jeff Hawkins. He is the Godfather of
the Zoomer effort. He later started a company and came out with Graffiti,
the hand writing translation program. When early PDAs were proven to be
commercially unsuccessful in the marketplace (relatively small numbers were
sold), Jeff decided that RISC processors were the way to go for speed and
low power consumption. He contacted Geoworks and offered them an opportunity
to provide the OS. However, GEOS-SC was not developed yet and Jeff Hawkins
went with another OS, that I believe he developed in-house. His product is
the PALM, where he remained until some time after the 3COM buy-out. Then
Jeff Hawkins started a PALM  compatible company called Handspring. Tom has
one, or once did, because we discussed it over a year ago. Ironically,
Handspring has been acquired by PALM. However, the PALM OS could have been
GEOS.

MICROSOFT AND GEOWORKS:

Even if I hated Microsoft with a passion, as a fair man, I see absolutely no
insidious scenario involving them in dashing the PDA hopes of Geoworks. All
of the Microsoft PDA efforts with Windows CE came much later, when Geoworks
was firmly into Smartphones and consulting to the cellular marketplace in
Europe.

> geos did not fail in that market,

> geos got crowded out of the pda and cell phone markets, which msft
> threatened and supported and bought and distorted in order to make its
> inferior WinCE *.

> > It has failed in that market also.

> >>i thing geos would be good as a pda os

geos would be the perfect pda os

Post by hyubs » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 15:38:34

GEOS is like my 1984 jetta diesel, which  is no longer in production, no
longer gets any engineering changes, and yet it still runs very well and
is more economical to operate than any competing product on the market
today.

Brilliant!   Quality never goes out of style.

> It is no longer supported. It is no longer in production, but it didn't
> fail. Brilliant!

>>geos did not fail in that market,

>>geos got crowded out of the pda and cell phone markets, which msft
>>threatened and supported and bought and distorted in order to make its
>>inferior WinCE *.

>>>It has failed in that market also.

geos would be the perfect pda os

Post by hyubs » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 15:39:48

you obviously got Fs in history...

> Hyubso,

> Mr. Amateur, why not say nothing when you don't know what the heck you're
> talking about in the first place. You've got one mode. You hate Microsoft
> and use them as an excuse for everything that goes wrong in the world!

> SOME HISTORY:

> I attended most of the industry trade shows for the early precursors of
> today's modern PDAs, and Microsoft had nothing but quasi PDAs in the form of
> tablets that were about the size of a notebook running a custom Windows 3.0.
> Microsoft offered ZERO competition throughout the Zoomer period and ALL the
> other iterations of GEOS based PDAs. No Microsoft was in sight! Then
> Geoworks decided, on their own, that PDAs were not where they wanted to be
> and went with Smartphones. Since that decision, Geoworks never pursued PDAs
> again, except for what was integrated into a cell phone, and that is not
> what I would call a pure PDA device, like the Zoomer.

> THE BIRTH OF MODERN PDAs:

> The man who originally called Brian Dougherty and told Brian that he wanted
> a special GEOS for a Zoomer project is Jeff Hawkins. He is the Godfather of
> the Zoomer effort. He later started a company and came out with Graffiti,
> the hand writing translation program. When early PDAs were proven to be
> commercially unsuccessful in the marketplace (relatively small numbers were
> sold), Jeff decided that RISC processors were the way to go for speed and
> low power consumption. He contacted Geoworks and offered them an opportunity
> to provide the OS. However, GEOS-SC was not developed yet and Jeff Hawkins
> went with another OS, that I believe he developed in-house. His product is
> the PALM, where he remained until some time after the 3COM buy-out. Then
> Jeff Hawkins started a PALM  compatible company called Handspring. Tom has
> one, or once did, because we discussed it over a year ago. Ironically,
> Handspring has been acquired by PALM. However, the PALM OS could have been
> GEOS.

> MICROSOFT AND GEOWORKS:

> Even if I hated Microsoft with a passion, as a fair man, I see absolutely no
> insidious scenario involving them in dashing the PDA hopes of Geoworks. All
> of the Microsoft PDA efforts with Windows CE came much later, when Geoworks
> was firmly into Smartphones and consulting to the cellular marketplace in
> Europe.

>>geos did not fail in that market,

>>geos got crowded out of the pda and cell phone markets, which msft
>>threatened and supported and bought and distorted in order to make its
>>inferior WinCE *.

>>>It has failed in that market also.

geos would be the perfect pda os

Post by Hans Lindgre » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 23:37:42

WinCE, did also fail in that market miserably. Microsoft had to rewrite,
rename, and rebrand the shit called WinCE.
How many devices sold or licences sold was a secret, there was only estimations
made.

BR,
Hans

> geos did not fail in that market,

> geos got crowded out of the pda and cell phone markets, which msft
> threatened and supported and bought and distorted in order to make its
> inferior WinCE *.

> > It has failed in that market also.

> >>i thing geos would be good as a pda os

geos would be the perfect pda os

Post by Bob » Mon, 16 Jun 2003 03:03:45

Quote:> WinCE, did also fail in that market miserably. Microsoft had to rewrite,
> rename, and rebrand the shit called WinCE.
> How many devices sold or licences sold was a secret, there was only
estimations
> made.

> BR,
> Hans

No disagreement. That don't change the fact that GEOS is any and all
incarnations was and is a complete and utter failure in the marketplace.