Baffling Geos 2.01 crash in M$-DOS 6.22

Post by rktho.. » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I recently added 32 meg of RAM to my work computer, bringing the total
to 64 meg.  The machine is a Pentium 200 mhz (no MMX) with a 2 meg
Number 9 video card and a 17" monitor, and has a dual boot, of Win-95
(second release) and M$-DOS 6.22.

With 32 meg of RAM, Geos loaded just fine under DOS, Win-3.11 and
Win-95; the only problems I had was task-switching (presumably due to
video driver conflicts).  With the additional memory, it boots fine under
Win-95 and Win-3.11, but crashes halfway through painting the splash
screen, forcing the computer to reboot.

This is weird.  It's the first time I've ever heard of a DOS app working
BETTER under Windoze than in native DOS!  I don't use M$-DOS 6.22
much any more, but I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas or a possible
fix?

R.K. Thompson
Spam-blocking: remove
"cqr" from e-mail address

Post by Jens-Michael Gros » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> I recently added 32 meg of RAM to my work computer, bringing the total
> to 64 meg.
> With 32 meg of RAM, Geos loaded just fine under DOS, Win-3.11 and
> Win-95; the only problems I had was task-switching (presumably due to
> video driver conflicts).  With the additional memory, it boots fine under
> Win-95 and Win-3.11, but crashes halfway through painting the splash
> screen, forcing the computer to reboot.

> This is weird.  It's the first time I've ever heard of a DOS app working
> BETTER under Windoze than in native DOS!  I don't use M$-DOS 6.22
> much any more, but I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas or a possible
> fix?

There has been a problem using XMS memory above a certain amount. There
is a new XMS.GEO driver available soemhere that will fix this problem
(if this is the reason).

I encountered the same problem when upgrading from 32MB to 48MB on my
486.

Grossibaer

Baffling Geos 2.01 crash in M$-DOS 6.22

Post by NDRepMa » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi R.K.,

Since 2.01 ran fine w/ 32MB I assume you have all the correct settings for
running on Win95 with a fast CPU. So I am guessing you never applied the 32MB
patch.  Ensemble 2.01 and NDO 2.5 have problems running on some systems with
more than 32MB of RAM. There is a patch available at the New Deal website HERE:
<http://www.newdealinc.com/ftp/newdeal_files/updates/32mbfix.zip>
New Deal Office 98 (the current version) has no problem with larger amounts of
RAM.

-Mark

Quote:> I recently added 32 meg of RAM to my work computer, bringing the total to 64
>meg.  The machine is a Pentium 200 mhz (no MMX) with a 2 meg Number 9 video
>card and a 17" monitor, and has a dual boot, of Win-95 (second release) and
>M$-DOS 6.22.
>With 32 meg of RAM, Geos loaded just fine under DOS, Win-3.11 and
>Win-95; the only problems I had was task-switching (presumably due
>to video driver conflicts).  With the additional memory, it boots fine
>under Win-95 and Win-3.11, but crashes halfway through painting the
>splash screen, forcing the computer to reboot.

Baffling Geos 2.01 crash in M$-DOS 6.22

Post by rktho.. » Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> > This is weird.  It's the first time I've ever heard of a DOS app working
> > BETTER under Windoze than in native DOS!  I don't use M$-DOS 6.22
> > much any more, but I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas or a possible
> > fix?

> There has been a problem using XMS memory above a certain amount. There
> is a new XMS.GEO driver available soemhere that will fix this problem
> (if this is the reason).

> I encountered the same problem when upgrading from 32MB to 48MB on my
> 486.

> Grossibaer

The above 32mb RAM bug is indeed the cause of the problem.  GEOS works in
Win-3.11 and Win-95 because it is being run in a DOS session that does not
have full access to all the RAM, methinks.

I had earlier upgeaded my machine at home to 48 meg.  The only reason that it
did not show up before is because I run everything under DR-DOS's TASKMAX,
which similarly limits the available RAM for each DOS session.  Just for grins I am
going to shut down TASKMAX and try booting GEOS - betcha it crashes!

OK.  Another good reason to get NDO-98.  With my old '386 dumpster special
rapidly becoming the Bionic Box, I   C O U L D   go all M$... naaaah.  I have M$-
WERKS for stuff that needs to be transferable to other platforms, but it is slow
and is a pain.  I have grown to like the speed and features of GEOS too much;
at home, I use Windoze only where I have to.

Unfortunately, I don't have much choice any longer at work; the hand that signs
the paycheck wants it all in M$-WERKS / EXCEL now.  Too bad; it really is a great
series of integrated apps; I wish more businesses knew about it.

R.K. Thompson
Spam-blocking: remove
"cqr" from e-mail address

Baffling Geos 2.01 crash in M$-DOS 6.22

Post by Hans Lindgr » Mon, 19 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Download the 32 Mb fix from www.new-deal.com. The file is located at
the download page. This will most probably solve your problem.

Best regards,
Hans Lindgren

1. Drivespace (DOS 6.22)

Hi!

Recently I ran Drivespace on my "C" and "D" drives, and the results
were rather different in a very puzzling way.

On "D", it left 2 MB uncompressed space on the  "H" host drive.

On "C", however, it left a whopping 115MB of free, uncompressed space
on the host drive "I" !  (it now looks like I'm stuck with the
settings, since, in the drivespace menu, it says, "minimum free space:
115MB, Maximum space 135 MB".  Looks like that's 115 MB I won't get my
hands on anytime soon...)

Question:  Does Drivespace need and use all this uncompressed room on
"C" to carry out it's business?  Or did it screw up big-time?

Regards,

Lin

2. Ink refillers for Epson?

3. DriveSpace (DOS 6.22)

4. mises à jour ....

5. Dblspace Problem in teh dos 6.22

6. sas c 6.3 bug?

7. LABEL in DOS 6.22 "Cannot make directory entry" ???

8. retrieving mail with a dynamic ip address from a mail server queuing my mail while I am offline

9. Connecting DOS 6.22 w/ Win 95

10. Ensemble V1 on DOS 6.22

11. MS-Kermit 3.12 and runtime error under DOS 6.22 with Pentium MMX Processor !

12. kermit 3.11 win95 to dos 6.22

13. Geos 2.01 & Win2k