Making bootable CD

Post by William Ov » Sat, 05 Apr 2003 12:42:22

This seemed to be a good place to ask a DOS question.

Is it possible to make a CD that will boot DOS. I have picked up a used
ThinkPad that has no floppy drive. I would like to make a bootable CD for it
that would boot it to DOS. I was hoping that some one could point either
provide simple directions or a pointer to a site that might have directions.

bill
--

Making bootable CD

Post by Doug Fitzpatric » Sat, 05 Apr 2003 13:38:35

Quote:> This seemed to be a good place to ask a DOS question.

> Is it possible to make a CD that will boot DOS. I have picked up a used
> ThinkPad that has no floppy drive. I would like to make a bootable CD for it
> that would boot it to DOS. I was hoping that some one could point either
> provide simple directions or a pointer to a site that might have directions.

Google is your friend:

http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/

--
Regards,
Doug

**** remove leading g for email replies. ****

Making bootable CD

Post by William Ov » Sun, 06 Apr 2003 11:28:46

Thanks, might I inquire what you used for search terms. The site listed in
your message is a bit more complex than I am looking for. The site states
that the instructions are not really designed for a one time CD, which is
what I am looking at creating.

What I understand from IBM and other messages I have read elsewhere is that
the BIOS needs to be updated and the firmware for the hard drive controller
also needs updating. I gather from IBM directions that that can only be done
when booting from a floppy, but I assume it could be done from a Bootable CD
as well assuming of course the updaters were on the CD along with a DOS OS.

Again thanks for the info.

bill

> > This seemed to be a good place to ask a DOS question.

> > Is it possible to make a CD that will boot DOS. I have picked up a used
> > ThinkPad that has no floppy drive. I would like to make a bootable CD
for it
> > that would boot it to DOS. I was hoping that some one could point either
> > provide simple directions or a pointer to a site that might have
directions.

> Google is your friend:

> http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/

> --
> Regards,
> Doug

> **** remove leading g for email replies. ****

Making bootable CD

Post by Bob » Sun, 06 Apr 2003 12:34:49

Quote:> What I understand from IBM and other messages I have read elsewhere is
that
> the BIOS needs to be updated and the firmware for the hard drive
controller
> also needs updating. I gather from IBM directions that that can only be
done
> when booting from a floppy, but I assume it could be done from a Bootable
CD
> as well assuming of course the updaters were on the CD along with a DOS

OS.

Do your CMOS settings allow you to boot from the CD-ROM drive? If not then
you need to update your BIOS, if an update is available. Most BIOS from 1995
and up, support booting from the CD-ROM. You can easily bypass booting from
CD. Just use a bootdisk that loads your CD-ROM, and run your setup, (I
assume), from the CD. What I wonder is, "if" your system doesn't support
booting from the CD, what OS would it run well that is on a bootable CD??

Making bootable CD

Post by Hans Voge » Sun, 06 Apr 2003 17:26:19

Hi Bob,

> Do your CMOS settings allow you to boot from the CD-ROM drive? If not then
> you need to update your BIOS, if an update is available. Most BIOS from
> 1995 and up, support booting from the CD-ROM. You can easily bypass
> booting from CD. Just use a bootdisk that loads your CD-ROM, and run your

Hmm, I understood from William's original posting that his machine is not
equipped with a floppy drive. So he can't use a bootdisk now.

If the BIOS on his notebook allows booting from CD-ROM - fine, problem
solved.
It must not be necessarily a homemade DOS boot CD. Any old Win95 / 98 /
whatever CD could do the job. Well, W98++ or a newer Linux would be better
since W95 did not provide that much of CD support ;-)

If the BIOS does not allow CD booting and if it's not flashable (e.g., the
older AMI's are not, IIRC), then there MUST have been a floppy drive
formerly.  Maybe it has been stripped out - the notebook is a used item, as
far as I understood.

The floppy drive controller will be still on board. So it'd be just another
eBay business: $1 for a used 3.5" floppy drive plus the flat cable, some
bootdisk to fire the rig up and off we go. After William has set up his
machine properly he could even throw away the floppy drive or resell it at
eBay's for $5.

Pecunia non olet...

Reg's,

Hans.

Making bootable CD

Post by Doug Fitzpatric » Mon, 07 Apr 2003 01:41:55

Quote:> Thanks, might I inquire what you used for search terms.

DOS boot CD

I just gave the site a quick glance, before posting the url. Sorry it
wasn't what your looking for.

--

Post by Ray Green » Mon, 07 Apr 2003 06:20:42

>This seemed to be a good place to ask a DOS question.

>Is it possible to make a CD that will boot DOS. I have picked up a used
>ThinkPad that has no floppy drive. I would like to make a bootable CD for it
>that would boot it to DOS. I was hoping that some one could point either
>provide simple directions or a pointer to a site that might have directions.

You might want to try the Emergency Boot CD from http://www.ebcd.i-am.ru/
They don't mention what OS they use but it appears to be some version of DOS.
I'm not sure if it's what you are looking for.
I haven't tried it myself but I had it bookmarked and your message reminded
me of it. I'm downloading it now.

It occurred to me that GEOS could work well in an emergency boot CD. Does it
handle Windows long file names properly when a DOS LFN driver is used?

I shouldn't have to ask that, but I haven't had a DOS machine running for so
long that I haven't even tried out the last version of NDO that I bought :-(

Ray Greene.

Making bootable CD

Post by William Ov » Mon, 07 Apr 2003 11:07:57

>> Thanks, might I inquire what you used for search terms.

> DOS boot CD

> I just gave the site a quick glance, before posting the url. Sorry it
> wasn't what your looking for.

I looked at a number of sites from Google and a great many point back to
your original link. It is very comprehensive, but I was hoping for a down,
dirty, simple solution.

Thank you for your information.

bill
 --

Making bootable CD

Post by William Ov » Mon, 07 Apr 2003 11:36:29

wrote on 4/4/03 9:34 PM:

>> What I understand from IBM and other messages I have read elsewhere is
> that
>> the BIOS needs to be updated and the firmware for the hard drive
> controller
>> also needs updating. I gather from IBM directions that that can only be
> done
>> when booting from a floppy, but I assume it could be done from a Bootable
> CD
>> as well assuming of course the updaters were on the CD along with a DOS
> OS.

> Do your CMOS settings allow you to boot from the CD-ROM drive? If not then
> you need to update your BIOS, if an update is available. Most BIOS from 1995
> and up, support booting from the CD-ROM. You can easily bypass booting from
> CD. Just use a bootdisk that loads your CD-ROM, and run your setup, (I
> assume), from the CD. What I wonder is, "if" your system doesn't support
> booting from the CD, what OS would it run well that is on a bootable CD??

I can boot from the CDROM on ThinkPad. The CD is in a bay and can be
exchanged for a number of different modules including a floppy, but I do not
have a floppy module. One can set the unit to boot from any number of
devices. It will boot from a a PC card, a CD, a floppy, a USB device, any
storage device in the bay and over a network. The hang up is that the BIOS
update seems designed to run from a floppy.

The update file downloaded from IBM extracts to drive A: and creates a
bootable floppy that one boots from and the update is ran from the floppy.
And I gather that is all automatic. The computer boots, runs the update and
shuts back down without user intervention.

Floppy modules for the bay are about $20 on eBay, but I am not sure how
important the update is or if I want to invest $20 in the laptop.

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

bill

 --

Making bootable CD

Post by Doug Fitzpatric » Mon, 07 Apr 2003 12:41:35

Quote:> Floppy modules for the bay are about $20 on eBay, but I am not sure how
> important the update is

Aren't  the  specific changes on the update listed on the IBM site
where you d/L the file?

--
Regards,
Doug

**** remove leading g for email replies. ****

1. Making a bootable Openstep CD?

I will soon have a CD burner, and hope to build a Bootable CD of
Openstep. However, I have not a clue even how the burner works, much
less how Apple places their information on their CD.

Is is a matter of placing a bootable partition onto the CD, then having
it load the boot floppy image and driver floppy images? I guess I'd have
to tell it somehow the images on the CD are the same as the floppy, and
somehow give it access to eideor scsi drivers.....

Any suggestions to this project are most appreciated, and when its done
and sucessful, I'd be glad to post the instructions.

Many thanks,
Steve

2. Multiple ISDN lines: Multiple routers? Or one?

3. Yamaha CRW2100EZ CD-R/CD-ROM/CD-RW drive not bootable

4. Can I change the default fonts size in Editor View?

5. Bootable CD - Different CD Drives

6. "Enter" without using the mouse

7. Problems making a bootable JAZ disk

8. Simple JavaDoc Query in CW 4

9. Making HD bootable

10. Making Bootable Application In VXWorks

11. making the HD bootable

12. Making a bootable hard drive.

13. Making multiple bootable partitions on diskonchip