NewBASIC in Breadbox Ensemble?

Post by Thomas L. Christense » Thu, 08 May 2003 14:50:57

Hi

Is it possible to get NewBASIC to run in BBE? I have had no success so
far, but maybe if I copy some files from my NDO 3.2a setup? If yes,
then what files do I need to copy?

--
Thomas L. Christensen - Svendborg, Denmark

NewBASIC in Breadbox Ensemble?

Post by John Howar » Fri, 09 May 2003 00:55:37

Hi Thomas,

Yes, it is.

Here is a list of the NewBASIC libraries that need to be copied into BBE:

   basco.geo -> System
   basrun.geo -> System
   bent.geo -> System
   bgadget.geo -> System
   ent.geo -> System
   gadget.geo -> System

and depending on what version of BBE you have you may need to copy pen.geo
(system folder) too.

John ;-)

Post by Thomas L. Christense » Fri, 09 May 2003 06:53:11

[Is it possible to get NewBASIC to run in BBE?]

Quote:>Yes, it is.

>Here is a list of the NewBASIC libraries that need to be copied into BBE:

>   basco.geo -> System
>   basrun.geo -> System
>   bent.geo -> System
>   bgadget.geo -> System
>   ent.geo -> System
>   gadget.geo -> System

>and depending on what version of BBE you have you may need to copy pen.geo
>(system folder) too.

Well, the problem was pen.geo - I was doing the experiments with a
full NewBasic Builder installation, but without patch1 to BBE 4.01,
which include pen.geo. After copying the file to the system folder, it
works fine.

I have just made a fresh install (BBE 4.01 + patch 1) and then copied
the files you listed, but it didn't work. Now that I know it can work,
I did the borring work of identifying the files missing:

launch.geo -> system\sysappl
hash.geo -> system
vmfi.geo -> system
datastor.geo -> system
datax.geo -> system

I *think* this files also are needed...

Okay, now a little strange thing: I created a launcher to command.com
and saved it to the world folder, and after that, every time I tried
to run a NB app, geos shut down to dos. After typing EXIT it returned.
I don't undersand this, but I can re-produce it on a fresh installed
Ensemble. Deleting the launcher and it works fine, creating a new one
and then I go to DOS, if I try to run NB apps. Strange!

--
Thomas L. Christensen - Svendborg, Denmark

NewBASIC in Breadbox Ensemble?

Post by Meyer » Fri, 09 May 2003 16:44:26

Re:
Re:Okay, now a little strange thing: I created a launcher to command.com
Re:and saved it to the world folder, and after that, every time I tried
Re:to run a NB app, geos shut down to dos. After typing EXIT it returned.
Re:I don't undersand this, but I can re-produce it on a fresh installed
Re:Ensemble. Deleting the launcher and it works fine, creating a new one
Re:and then I go to DOS, if I try to run NB apps. Strange!
Re:

Interesting. I *think* this has something to do with a small but ugly
problem in NewBasic: the NewBasic Launcher (sysappl/launch.geo) seems to
have the same Token ID as the launcher for DOS applications. Up to now I
always knew that this was a potential problem but never heard anything
about it becoming a real one. I once mentioned the problem to NewDeal,
but... you know.
Theoretically the fix is easy: the NB launher needs a new Token ID. But
this would mean that all existing compiled NewBasic applications would not
run out-of-the-box anymore and need a patch. Also the builder needs to
be fixed to compile applications with a new token, IIRC :-(

Bye,
MeyerK

For NewDeal related applications visit my webpage at
http://www.meyerk.de.vu

Take this letter that I give you
take it, sonny, and hold it high
You won't understand a word that's in it
but you'll write it all again
before you die...

(B. May)

NewBASIC in Breadbox Ensemble?

Post by Hans Lindgre » Sat, 10 May 2003 01:50:50

You can download a fresh install of NewBasic at: http://www.breadbox.com
You can also try my DOS prompt, which you can download from Tv? Katter, too!

BR,
Hans

>[Is it possible to get NewBASIC to run in BBE?]

>>Yes, it is.

>>Here is a list of the NewBASIC libraries that need to be copied into BBE:

>>  basco.geo -> System
>>  basrun.geo -> System
>>  bent.geo -> System
>>  bgadget.geo -> System
>>  ent.geo -> System
>>  gadget.geo -> System

>>and depending on what version of BBE you have you may need to copy pen.geo
>>(system folder) too.

>Well, the problem was pen.geo - I was doing the experiments with a
>full NewBasic Builder installation, but without patch1 to BBE 4.01,
>which include pen.geo. After copying the file to the system folder, it
>works fine.

>I have just made a fresh install (BBE 4.01 + patch 1) and then copied
>the files you listed, but it didn't work. Now that I know it can work,
>I did the borring work of identifying the files missing:

>launch.geo -> system\sysappl
>hash.geo -> system
>vmfi.geo -> system
>datastor.geo -> system
>datax.geo -> system

>I *think* this files also are needed...

>Okay, now a little strange thing: I created a launcher to command.com
>and saved it to the world folder, and after that, every time I tried
>to run a NB app, geos shut down to dos. After typing EXIT it returned.
>I don't undersand this, but I can re-produce it on a fresh installed
>Ensemble. Deleting the launcher and it works fine, creating a new one
>and then I go to DOS, if I try to run NB apps. Strange!

NewBASIC in Breadbox Ensemble?

Post by John Howar » Sat, 10 May 2003 02:14:32

Hans,

I think you mean that you can get NewBASIC at www.tvakatter.org.  It isn't a
Breadbox product.

John ;-)

> You can download a fresh install of NewBasic at: http://www.breadbox.com
> You can also try my DOS prompt, which you can download from Tv? Katter, too!

> BR,
> Hans

>>[Is it possible to get NewBASIC to run in BBE?]

>>>Yes, it is.

>>>Here is a list of the NewBASIC libraries that need to be copied into BBE:

>>>  basco.geo -> System
>>>  basrun.geo -> System
>>>  bent.geo -> System
>>>  bgadget.geo -> System
>>>  ent.geo -> System
>>>  gadget.geo -> System

>>>and depending on what version of BBE you have you may need to copy pen.geo
>>>(system folder) too.

>>Well, the problem was pen.geo - I was doing the experiments with a
>>full NewBasic Builder installation, but without patch1 to BBE 4.01,
>>which include pen.geo. After copying the file to the system folder, it
>>works fine.

>>I have just made a fresh install (BBE 4.01 + patch 1) and then copied
>>the files you listed, but it didn't work. Now that I know it can work,
>>I did the borring work of identifying the files missing:

>>launch.geo -> system\sysappl
>>hash.geo -> system
>>vmfi.geo -> system
>>datastor.geo -> system
>>datax.geo -> system

>>I *think* this files also are needed...

>>Okay, now a little strange thing: I created a launcher to command.com
>>and saved it to the world folder, and after that, every time I tried
>>to run a NB app, geos shut down to dos. After typing EXIT it returned.
>>I don't undersand this, but I can re-produce it on a fresh installed
>>Ensemble. Deleting the launcher and it works fine, creating a new one
>>and then I go to DOS, if I try to run NB apps. Strange!

NewBASIC in Breadbox Ensemble?

Post by Thomas L. Christense » Sat, 10 May 2003 02:38:13

On Thu, 08 May 2003 16:50:50 GMT, Hans Lindgren

>You can download a fresh install of NewBasic at: http://www.breadbox.com

You mean www.tvakatter.org, don't you?  :-)

Well, I have the latest version. I am pretty sure the version included
in the NDO3.0 -> NDO3.2a update is identical to the version at Tv?
Katter...

Quote:>You can also try my DOS prompt, which you can download from Tv? Katter, too!

I already have it installed AND I use it! I was just playing around
creating launchers to explore it.

--
Thomas L. Christensen - Svendborg, Denmark

NewBASIC in Breadbox Ensemble?

Post by Hans Lindgre » Sat, 10 May 2003 06:05:12

Hi John!

Ooooooooooooppppppps! Of course I meant Tv? Katter! Sorry for any
inconvenience and thank you for the correction!

BR,
Hans

>Hans,

>I think you mean that you can get NewBASIC at www.tvakatter.org.  It isn't a
>Breadbox product.

>John ;-)

>>You can download a fresh install of NewBasic at: http://www.breadbox.com
>>You can also try my DOS prompt, which you can download from Tv? Katter, too!

>>BR,
>>Hans

>>>[Is it possible to get NewBASIC to run in BBE?]

>>>Well, the problem was pen.geo - I was doing the experiments with a
>>>full NewBasic Builder installation, but without patch1 to BBE 4.01,
>>>which include pen.geo. After copying the file to the system folder, it
>>>works fine.

>>>I have just made a fresh install (BBE 4.01 + patch 1) and then copied
>>>the files you listed, but it didn't work. Now that I know it can work,
>>>I did the borring work of identifying the files missing:

>>>launch.geo -> system\sysappl
>>>hash.geo -> system
>>>vmfi.geo -> system
>>>datastor.geo -> system
>>>datax.geo -> system

>>>I *think* this files also are needed...

>>>Okay, now a little strange thing: I created a launcher to command.com
>>>and saved it to the world folder, and after that, every time I tried
>>>to run a NB app, geos shut down to dos. After typing EXIT it returned.
>>>I don't undersand this, but I can re-produce it on a fresh installed
>>>Ensemble. Deleting the launcher and it works fine, creating a new one
>>>and then I go to DOS, if I try to run NB apps. Strange!

NewBASIC in Breadbox Ensemble?

Post by Hans Lindgre » Sat, 10 May 2003 06:08:48

Well, it is just a simple laucher, nothing else! I have added an icon
created with Icon Editor from the SDK, including a small tool icon
together with the usual icon.

BR,
Hans