Using Atech Alltype

Using Atech Alltype

Post by EvelynM » Tue, 13 Jun 2000 04:00:00



Quote:>So, does anyone have any luck getting high-quality fonts under Geos with
>Alltype?

Convert the fonts individually - and don't go by the on screen appearence. The
screen fonts are often deceiving.

Alltype is not the best at creating other faces from "normal" fonts, and you
should play around with the setting if you create italics or bolds from normal
fonts, rather than accept what Alltype gives you for the variations. But,
honestly, you are still better off directly converting exisiting faces rather
than creating variations - kerning usually stinks on converted variations.

(I can't believe that I am still using a program I bought in 1992 or 3, but I
am - mostly for variations on Truetype fonts for use in that format, and once
in a while for ATM fonts to hand off to a Mac....)

          -=>epm<=-

     In matters of truth and justice,
     there is no difference between large and small problems,
     for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same.
                                          - Albert Einstein

 
 
 

Using Atech Alltype

Post by Dan Ferguso » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00


I'll second that - the screen appearance often looks "off" - try
converting windows times roman, for example.  But if you zoom in,
it looks better.

Go figure.

Dan.

 
 
 

Using Atech Alltype

Post by Dominique Voca » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00



> I'll second that - the screen appearance often looks "off" - try
> converting windows times roman, for example.  But if you zoom in,
> it looks better.

> Go figure.

> Dan.

I think I heard once that the fonts included in NDO do have pregenerated
bitmaps for screendisplay at least for some standart sizes and thus
these look better then the one's calculated on the fly. Take it with a
grain of salt however... Maybe Gene can shed some light? :-)

Dom

 
 
 

Using Atech Alltype

Post by Bob » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00


>Subject: Re: Using Atech Alltype


It would be most helpful if you quoted what you are responding to Dan. Even
though I follow most threads I don't keep a database of each one so it is next
to impossible to know what you're referring to without the original post your
responding to.

Quote:>I'll second that - the screen appearance often looks "off" - try
>converting windows times roman, for example.  But if you zoom in,
>it looks better.

>Go figure.

>Dan.

Bob B.
Please Reply to the Newsgroup.
 
 
 

Using Atech Alltype

Post by Dominique Voca » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00



> >Subject: Re: Using Atech Alltype

> It would be most helpful if you quoted what you are responding to Dan. Even
> though I follow most threads I don't keep a database of each one so it is next
> to impossible to know what you're referring to without the original post your
> responding to.

Hi Bob,

typically you have a reference to which mesage this was a follow up etc.
Your Newsreader should be able to let you have the original message
quite easily (if it still is available on the bewsserver that is :-) ).

Still I am all in favour of a nicely quoted reply :-)

Dom

 
 
 

Using Atech Alltype

Post by Gene Anderso » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00



> I think I heard once that the fonts included in NDO do have pregenerated
> bitmaps for screendisplay at least for some standart sizes and thus
> these look better then the one's calculated on the fly. Take it with a
> grain of salt however... Maybe Gene can shed some light? :-)

Some of the fonts have hand-tuned bitmaps for some of the commonly used
sizes (10,12,14,18)
- URW Roman
- URW Sans
- URW Mono
- Sather Gothic
None of the other fonts do. (And of course there are some bitmap only
fonts for use in menus, etc.)

Part of the problem with using AllType or the like is that (a) different
coordinate spaces are used by some of the different font formats as well
as internally by AllType itself, so converting between them frequently
leads to some minor errors (b) the original fonts had hints applied by
hand (initally by an automatic process, then cleaned up by hand, I
believe), whereas converted fonts either have no hints or have
automatically generated ones, which aren't quite as good.

gene

--
Gene Anderson

http://www.designsinlight.com/

 
 
 

Using Atech Alltype

Post by Dan Ferguso » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00


I'll second that - the screen appearance often looks "off" - try
converting windows times roman, for example.  But if you zoom in,
it looks better.

Go figure.

Dan.

 
 
 

Using Atech Alltype

Post by Bob » Mon, 19 Jun 2000 04:00:00


>Subject: Re: Using Atech Alltype


You'll 2nd what? As you have quoted nothing I haven't any idea what you're
referring to.

Quote:>I'll second that - the screen appearance often looks "off" - try
>converting windows times roman, for example.  But if you zoom in,
>it looks better.

>Go figure.

>Dan.

Bob B.
Please Reply to the Newsgroup.
 
 
 

Using Atech Alltype

Post by Dan Ferguso » Tue, 20 Jun 2000 04:00:00


Bob -

I have no (&*%(*%& idea why the message was repeated.

Dan

>Subject: Re: Using Atech Alltype


You'll 2nd what? As you have quoted nothing I haven't any idea
what you're
referring to.

Quote:>I'll second that - the screen appearance often looks "off" -
try
>converting windows times roman, for example.  But if you zoom
in,
>it looks better.

>Go figure.

>Dan.

Bob B.
Please Reply to the Newsgroup.
 
 
 

1. Using Atech Alltype

I believe what you are seeing is a big limitation of the True Type font format.  I converted  
some fonts from Adobe Type I and have been pleased with the results (although some of the more  
complex fonts would not successfully convert).

Why convert Ariel and Times New Roman since the equivalents are already there in URW Roman and  
URW Sans?

Stephen Haffly
Team OS/2   Team GEOS -- OS/2 and New Deal Office 98 - What a combo!

2. HP laser Jet 5000GN Maintenance Warning Light

3. Alltype, anyone?

4. FP2000 - Set default file to .HTML not .HTM and...

5. Excel - Using row count as the boundary for a range using VBA

6. scsi adaptec 2940UW/OF on ultra 10

7. Problem using Printout method in Excel using VBA

8. EXTENDED DEADLINE: IFIP WG10.3 conference

9. Question about zip.h/zip.c used in zlib using VB...

10. Using vxworks to access the PCI devices on a PC using a vxsim target

11. Problem using SockLib on VxWorks using Tornado

12. looking for used Brisque Impose / other used RIP's