Zoomer can it be upgrade to 640*240 screen & Geos question

Zoomer can it be upgrade to 640*240 screen & Geos question

Post by WMOR » Mon, 17 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I have a question for the hardware people, is it possible to upgrade the
Zoomer screen to 640*xxx.  Portable computers ussually have programmabe
LCD chips that will support higher resolutions.  (for instance the Pilot
will actually support 16 shades of grey).  I have heard of people, in the
past, emulating CGA screens on their Herculese screen through a
software patch, this system might be used for the screen (or even the
normal screen).  Well anyway when the XT version of Newdeal publisher is
released I hope it will work on the Zoomer.

How compatible is the DOS in the Zoomer, can it run PC programs (if it
had a bigger display) and a maybe patches?

Thanks

Wayne.

Post by Jens-Michael Gros » Mon, 17 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> I have a question for the hardware people, is it possible to upgrade the
> Zoomer screen to 640*xxx.  Portable computers ussually have programmabe
> LCD chips that will support higher resolutions.

Maybe,  but your LC Display only has  a certain amount of pixels. You
cannot add more pixels on your display by software.  You can emulate a
better resolution by using different shades of grey  to  show that a
pixel is 'only a quarter  on',  but this does not change the physical
screen resolution.

Quote:> (for instance the Pilot
> will actually support 16 shades of grey).

Since LCD screens are a matrix display and have a fast refresh rate, a
smart chip can  emulate  almost any shade of gray by just letting the
pixel flicker. But you won't get more pixels.

Quote:>  I have heard of people, in the
> past, emulating CGA screens on their Herculese screen through a
> software patch.

Easy thing,  because Hercules is some 700x500 pixels, while CGA is only
640x200 (or 320x200 in 4 colors which is impossible on a B/W Hercules
card). So it is d on e  by just letting a border  of un used pixels and
centering the visible area etc. But you  won't get more than the
original macimu m Hercules resolution.

Grossibaer

Zoomer can it be upgrade to 640*240 screen & Geos question

Post by WMOR » Fri, 21 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I actually meant to hook a bigger (higher resolution LCD to it.  The
other stuff I threw in for the possibility of running DOS software on an
unexpanded Zoomer, I am enquiring if there has been experience/knowledge
of these things out there.

Thanks.

Wayne.

Quote:

> > I have a question for the hardware people, is it possible to upgrade the
> > Zoomer screen to 640*xxx.  Portable computers ussually have programmabe
> > LCD chips that will support higher resolutions.

> Maybe,  but your LC Display only has  a certain amount of pixels. You
> cannot add more pixels on your display by software.  You can emulate a
> better resolution by using different shades of grey  to  show that a
> pixel is 'only a quarter  on',  but this does not change the physical
> screen resolution.

> > (for instance the Pilot
> > will actually support 16 shades of grey).

> Since LCD screens are a matrix display and have a fast refresh rate, a
> smart chip can  emulate  almost any shade of gray by just letting the
> pixel flicker. But you won't get more pixels.

> >  I have heard of people, in the
> > past, emulating CGA screens on their Herculese screen through a
> > software patch.

> Easy thing,  because Hercules is some 700x500 pixels, while CGA is only
> 640x200 (or 320x200 in 4 colors which is impossible on a B/W Hercules
> card). So it is d on e  by just letting a border  of un used pixels and
> centering the visible area etc. But you  won't get more than the
> original macimu m Hercules resolution.

> Grossibaer

Zoomer can it be upgrade to 640*240 screen & Geos question

Post by Pyms » Fri, 21 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>The
>other stuff I threw in for the possibility of running DOS software on an
>unexpanded Zoomer, I am enquiring if there has been experience/knowledge
>of these things out there.

a) I don't say you can have a bigger screen, but you may have a bigger
virtual screen.
b) Running DOS sofware implies that you'll have to write a kind of
on-screen-keyboard TSR. I already had this idea, but is it worth the try ?
The Zoomer is not sa bad as it is. IMHO, if you want to have a DOS
pocket machine, go for a cheap HP100/200LX which will do the job without
trouble.

--
bye.

Unsolicited advertising sent to this e-mail address is expressly
prohibited under USC Title 47, Section 227. Violators are subject
to charge of up to $1,500 per incident or treble actual costs,
whichever is greater.

Zoomer can it be upgrade to 640*240 screen & Geos question

Post by WMOR » Mon, 24 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Well thanks for your comments, inparticular I wanted a long battery life
machine that had big touch sensitive machine and could run DOS apps.

I have thought about the HP (notoriously expensive over here but rejected
the idea.

Thanks

Wayne.