modem connecion gets "kicked out"?

Post by Holger La » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 19:38:38

Over the past two years, I have noticed that dial-up connections with
NDO have become more and more unstable. This has nothing to do with
the inferiority of Skipper or NewMail. It also happens with VNC
Viewer,  which normally is a very reliable application. It also
happens with different machines connecting to different providers,
although some providers are more prone than others.

I rather suspect that this may be the result of one provider modem
servicing several users at the same time. It feels to me as if the NDO
connection is not aggressive enough and gets "kicked out of the way"
by others. The result is either a "your connection was interrupted" or
a KR crash.

Does this non-technical description make sense to anyone?

Holger

modem connecion gets "kicked out"?

Post by Jens-Michael Gros » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 21:16:54

Holger Laux schrieb:

Quote:> I rather suspect that this may be the result of one provider modem
> servicing several users at the same time. It feels to me as if the NDO
> connection is not aggressive enough and gets "kicked out of the way"
> by others. The result is either a "your connection was interrupted" or
> a KR crash.

Either this or your phone line is rusting away :)

Grossibaer

--
Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
they are not.

modem connecion gets "kicked out"?

Post by Holger La » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 23:30:36

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:16:54 +0200, Jens-Michael Gross

>Holger Laux schrieb:

>> I rather suspect that this may be the result of one provider modem
>> servicing several users at the same time. It feels to me as if the NDO
>> connection is not aggressive enough and gets "kicked out of the way"
>> by others. The result is either a "your connection was interrupted" or
>> a KR crash.

>Either this or your phone line is rusting away :)

It happens here in the UK as well as in Germany. My mother is
complaining that she cannot download her mail anymore, because the
line gets interrupted.

Holger

modem connecion gets "kicked out"?

Post by Bob » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 06:36:26

Quote:> Over the past two years, I have noticed that dial-up connections with
> NDO have become more and more unstable.

Oh no! Please say it ain't so. How can such a thing be in such an elegant
OS?

modem connecion gets "kicked out"?

Post by Hans Lindgre » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 07:06:58

Sounds like you have "waiting call" enabled. In Windows you can disable
this "feature" by unchecking a box, in GEOS, you must disable this in the
modem setup.

BR,
Hans

Post by Holger La » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 18:32:56

>> Over the past two years, I have noticed that dial-up connections with
>> NDO have become more and more unstable.

>Oh no! Please say it ain't so. How can such a thing be in such an elegant
>OS?

This was my question: It is not the OS that has deteriorated but the
quality of the connections. In the worst case, I had a set-up that
worked absolutely fine. Then I put the computer aside for a year and
when I tried to re-connect it, the link was flaky.

Holger

modem connecion gets "kicked out"?

Post by Holger La » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 18:33:52

Quote:>Sounds like you have "waiting call" enabled. In Windows you can disable
>this "feature" by unchecking a box, in GEOS, you must disable this in the
>modem setup.

I don't have a manual for that modem. Is there a standard Hayes
command to do this?

Holger

modem connecion gets "kicked out"?

Post by Hans Lindgre » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 06:18:47

Yes there is, but what is standard Hayes, today? Well, that was a rethorical
question, hardly helping you. Yes, there must be, but you need to know the
brand of your modem, I think. But it can also be done in the switchboard
which your phone is attached to. In Sweden we have AXE from Ericsson, and
the command to disable this is described in my local telephone directory.
The command I use is "#43#", without the qoutation marks, entered directly
on the keys of the phone. Maybe you have the same or a corresponding command?
I will also add that there is a small problem with this command. It will
seem that this is a once and for all command, but it isn't. If service is
done to the switchboard, the most common action taken is to reset the switchboard,
and then you will have to reenter this command.

However, there might also be other command interfereing with your modem,
check with your local engineer at the phone company, they might help you
out.

BR,
Hans

PS. Hope it isn't the drivecloseDelay setting in GEOS.INI that causes this
problem DS.

Post by Jens-Michael Gros » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 21:17:40

Holger Laux schrieb:

> On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:16:54 +0200, Jens-Michael Gross

> >Holger Laux schrieb:

> >> I rather suspect that this may be the result of one provider modem
> >> servicing several users at the same time. It feels to me as if the NDO
> >> connection is not aggressive enough and gets "kicked out of the way"
> >> by others. The result is either a "your connection was interrupted" or
> >> a KR crash.

> >Either this or your phone line is rusting away :)

> It happens here in the UK as well as in Germany. My mother is
> complaining that she cannot download her mail anymore, because the
> line gets interrupted.

Well, another possibility is that the phone company is sending a
notification tone if someone wants to call you while the line is busy.
This would interrupt the data connection.
Same once did the 'time tick' signal sent by the phone company (upon
request, as it di cost additional fee) to trigger a connection cost
counter. You couldn't use even old 14.4 modems on lines with this
signal.

The waiting call notification can (at least in Germany) be enabled and
disabled by dialing a certain #xxx* sequence.

And as last possibility: well, electronic devices do age even if unused.
Perhaps your modem has problems. maybe oxydated contacts on the line
plug or whatever.

Grossibaer