OT: Interesting article (iraq situation)

Post by Hyubs » Sun, 06 Apr 2003 17:05:19

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/ED05Ak01.html

OT: Interesting article (iraq situation)

Post by Ray Kopczyns » Mon, 07 Apr 2003 01:38:18

Interesting read...  If you are interested in getting a "world" perspective --
take a look here:

http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/

You can see ~195 front pages from around the world -- that change daily
obviously. Even if you cannot read the language, you sometimes can easily
discern the "tone"...

Ray

OT: Interesting article (iraq situation)

Post by Terr » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 03:33:06

http://www.onlinenewspapers.com/

Here's another global news site.

Terry

Just a reminder, we are all Microsoft beta testers.

OT: Interesting article (iraq situation)

Post by Pat » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 06:43:06

Thank God there is something to beta test. ROTFL!

Quote:> http://www.onlinenewspapers.com/

> Here's another global news site.

> Terry

> Just a reminder, we are all Microsoft beta testers.

OT: Interesting article (iraq situation)

Post by Holger La » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 19:57:18

Quote:>Interesting read...  If you are interested in getting a "world" perspective --
>take a look here:

>http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/

For all of you joining from Germany or being able to read German:

A small newspaper called "junge welt" is publishing a daily summary of
Russian intelligence reports about the war progress. The information
given there seems to be a bit more realistic than the usual "Hooray,
we are beating the bastards." tone found on NBC and BBC.

Here is how to find these reports:

Go to http://www.jungewelt.de/
click on "Tagesuebersicht"
find the article headed "Russische Fernaufklaerung"

Holger

Post by Jens-Michael Gros » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 02:30:40

Holger Laux schrieb:

> >Interesting read...  If you are interested in getting a "world" perspective --
> >take a look here:

> >http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/

> For all of you joining from Germany or being able to read German:

> A small newspaper called "junge welt" is publishing a daily summary of
> Russian intelligence reports about the war progress. The information
> given there seems to be a bit more realistic than the usual "Hooray,
> we are beating the bastards." tone found on NBC and BBC.

You know that NBC and CNN as well as all US TV broadcasts are not
allowed to send certain information and images from the war?
I guess, most of the US citizens do not know that US soldiers have been
captured. The rest of the world has seen the videos.

I'd say, US and UK news are the least realistic about this war
worldwide. Maybe the Iraq news are less, but I'm not sure.
As usual for involved parties.

Grossibaer

--
Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
they are not.

OT: Interesting article (iraq situation)

Post by Mark » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 02:35:00

Actually,

All the major US news channels have discussed the captured US soldiers
in great detail...as well as the rescue of one female soldier.

Apparently, most of, if not al of the US soldiers captured and aired on
Al Jazeera news have since been tortured and killed (except for
Jessica...she was only tortured.)

So we are aware of the appx dozen soldiers captured. While their
pictures were aired on the news, the news media all decided that it
served no purpose to show them being interviewd on TV in the
circumstances they were in.

Mark-

> Holger Laux schrieb:

>>>Interesting read...  If you are interested in getting a "world" perspective --
>>>take a look here:

>>>http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/

>>For all of you joining from Germany or being able to read German:

>>A small newspaper called "junge welt" is publishing a daily summary of
>>Russian intelligence reports about the war progress. The information
>>given there seems to be a bit more realistic than the usual "Hooray,
>>we are beating the bastards." tone found on NBC and BBC.

> You know that NBC and CNN as well as all US TV broadcasts are not
> allowed to send certain information and images from the war?
> I guess, most of the US citizens do not know that US soldiers have been
> captured. The rest of the world has seen the videos.

> I'd say, US and UK news are the least realistic about this war
> worldwide. Maybe the Iraq news are less, but I'm not sure.
> As usual for involved parties.

> Grossibaer

OT: Interesting article (iraq situation)

Post by RogerU » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 03:59:59

You are not really sure that that Iraq news is less realistic?  According to
the Iraq Information Minister we (the US) are not even in Bagdad, they have
mistreated no prisoners, are not using human shields, have not committed any
atrocities whatsoever, and we (the US again) are being beaten badly.  Where in
the world are you getting your information?  How is it that you are all knowing
and the rest of us are completely uninformed?

Roger

OT: Interesting article (iraq situation)

Post by Holger La » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 18:48:37

Quote:>So we are aware of the appx dozen soldiers captured. While their
>pictures were aired on the news, the news media all decided that it
>served no purpose to show them being interviewd on TV in the
>circumstances they were in.

I don't know what the big outrage was about these pictures. The
soldiers were just asked "What's your name?", "Where are you from?",
"What are you doing in our country?" These questions were asked in a
fairly civilised tone. They were not handcuffed and one of them even
had a glass of tea in his hands.

Compare this with the images we are seeing of Iraqi PoWs forced to
kneel down  with hoods over their hands and plastic strips as
handcuffs.

No doubt the American PoWs were very frightened, but there is nothing
to suggest yet that they have been maltreated.

Holger

OT: Interesting article (iraq situation)

Post by Holger La » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 18:54:14

Quote:>You are not really sure that that Iraq news is less realistic?  According to
>the Iraq Information Minister we (the US) are not even in Bagdad, they have
>mistreated no prisoners, are not using human shields, have not committed any
>atrocities whatsoever, and we (the US again) are being beaten badly.

They know they don't stand a chance, but they are putting up a fight.
And right they are. Have you ever wondered what would happen if
somebody wanted to remove your president by military force?

Quote:> Where in
>the world are you getting your information?  How is it that you are all knowing
>and the rest of us are completely uninformed?

I actually have Iraqi tv. Not much to see there. At the moment they
are off air, obviously been bombed, but when they come on again, they
will have the same old footage of patriotic songs.

Holger

Post by Mark » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 21:04:42

>>So we are aware of the appx dozen soldiers captured. While their
>>pictures were aired on the news, the news media all decided that it
>>served no purpose to show them being interviewd on TV in the
>>circumstances they were in.

> I don't know what the big outrage was about these pictures. The
> soldiers were just asked "What's your name?", "Where are you from?",
> "What are you doing in our country?" These questions were asked in a
> fairly civilised tone. They were not handcuffed and one of them even
> had a glass of tea in his hands.

> Compare this with the images we are seeing of Iraqi PoWs forced to
> kneel down  with hoods over their hands and plastic strips as
> handcuffs.

> No doubt the American PoWs were very frightened, but there is nothing
> to suggest yet that they have been maltreated.

> Holger

I wonder then how the one we rescued ended up with 3 broken limbs??

Mark-

OT: Interesting article (iraq situation)

Post by Holger La » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 22:47:06

Quote:>I wonder then how the one we rescued ended up with 3 broken limbs??

I am sure we would have heard by now if this was down to torture. And,
I don't think the Iraqi would torture her first and then treat her in
hospital. It doesn't quite make sense.

I guess it's just - war. Perhaps she should have signed up for a less
dangerous *ie game.

Holger

Post by Douglas A. Tayl » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 23:12:59

>>I wonder then how the one we rescued ended up with 3 broken limbs??

>I am sure we would have heard by now if this was down to torture. And,
>I don't think the Iraqi would torture her first and then treat her in
>hospital. It doesn't quite make sense.

According to an NPR (National Public Radio) report, the US forces were
led to rescue her by an Iraqi man -- a lawyer -- who saw her being
slapped around by the Iraqi forces holding her.  He apparently believed
that her life was in danger, having seen these same forces kill an
Iraqi woman simply for waving at an American plane in a friendly way.
He walked six miles through dangerous territory to find the US forces,
then told them where she was, led them there, even drew maps and a
floorplan for them, all to rescue this one prisoner because he felt
her life was in danger.

FWIW.

--
   Doug Taylor                         |   Nothing real can be threatened.
   The Ohio State University           |   Nothing unreal exists.

OT: Interesting article (iraq situation)

Post by Hyubs » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 11:32:33

thanks!.. I'll pass that website along....

> Interesting read...  If you are interested in getting a "world" perspective --
> take a look here:

> http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/

> You can see ~195 front pages from around the world -- that change daily
> obviously. Even if you cannot read the language, you sometimes can easily
> discern the "tone"...

> Ray

OT: Interesting article (iraq situation)

Post by Hyubs » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 11:46:47

that is the scary part..

in america we are supposed ot have freedom of the press..

is just terrible to have ALL the press "decide" we americans should not
see certain consequences of our war on iraq

>the news media all decided.....

1. OT: Iraq

I know this is OT but one of my North American associates sent this:

Recently my brother-in-law Sam, who was missing after his sailboat capsized
in a remote area of the South Pacific for three years, was found. The
neighborhood rejoiced with the family. After things had settled down, Sam
dropped in to ask me about what is going on in the world.

"I heard on the radio that we are going to attack Iraq, Why?", Sam asked,
"Did they invade Kuwait again?"

"Err, no, they didn't attack anyone recently. Terrorists flew airplanes into
the World Trade Center and the Pentagon and killed thousands of people on
September 11, 2001."

Sam was shaken. "Oh my God. That's unbelievable. But this is 2003. Why did
it take so long to go after Iraq if they sent terrorists?"

"Oh, Iraq didn't do it. It was a group based in Afghanistan called Al Queda
led by a rich Saudi Arabian by the name of Osama Bin Laden", I said.

"So we went after him, right. Did the troops hang him by his toes?"

"The US sort of went after him. We bombed his training areas and caves and
got some local tribesmen to chase him around but they didn't catch him," I
answered. "He sends tapes to a tv station now and again saying he is still
out to get us."

Sam looked puzzled. "You mean the CIA and the Special Forces and the Marines
can't catch him?"

I avoided his eyes. "Shrub said that we would hunt him down but then soon
after he decided to go after Iraq. He's talked about Saddam almost every day
since but hardly ever mentions Osama."

"Who is Shrub?", Sam asked.

How can I explain this? "He's the son of George H.W., the littlist Bush, who
was given the Presidency by the Supreme Court after some ballots were
disputed in Florida. Al Gore won the popular vote but Bush was given
Florida's electoral votes."

Sam paused a minute, looking more nonplussed. "Jeez, the Congress must be
going nuts. Have they done anything?"

"Well, no. The Congress voted to give him authority to attack Iraq. The
polls say that 62 percent of the population support him and a war with Iraq.
The polls say that the majority think that Saddam was behind 9-11. Of
course, there is no evidence that he had anything to do with it and UN
inspectors can find no evidence of nuclear, chemical or biological weapons
that Shrub says Saddam has in his possession. The doublespeakers from the
Nixon administration, Rumsfeld and Cheney, have dumbfounded a lot of people.
Democrats and Republicans are spineless when the President is popular and
talks tough."

Sam's shoulders sagged. We talked a while about Iraqnophobia and the huge
cost of war while tax cuts for the rich are going into effect and more
proposed. Sam became more and more agitated and finally left.

My son bounced into the room and said, "I thought I heard Uncle Sam. Where
is he?"

"He said he is going back to the south seas. If he has to live among
coconuts, they might as well be edible."

2. A Special Offer!

3. OT: Focus on Iraq: Powell's UN speech dissected

4. graduate program

5. AA Situation -- New Articles

6. Help! (AmigaDOS CreateProc/LoadSeg)

7. Here's an interesting article on Home Automation

8. Monitoring Memory Usage

9. interesting article

10. Interesting Article from January's Popular Science Issue

11. Some interesting articles (from 1990) on ND...