Got my global pc today!

Post by hyubs » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:48:59

without the owners manual i can't tell what i have..  the boot up screen
supplies no inof other than a "warming up " message.

on the bottom of the machine i read:

bar code:  MAB - 0400 - 000015660

> << How can i update this gpc?? >>

> I will email you with all the patches, updates, etc. I had that I sent to all
> GPC owners in our database as MyTurn was tanking...  I am presuming your GPC is
> the original retail-boxed one -- that had not been updated.  (v1.2)

> Ray

Got my global pc today!

Post by hyubs » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:56:25

well, i had this prodigy connection problem with geos long before the
gpc was available.. so this obviously is a prodigy specific isp problem..

also, i doubt that the gpc internet  service had this issue.

still, so far, i've never had an easier to use computer out of the box,
even compared to the old epson qx-10, my first pc, running Valdocs on
TP/m (a CP/m derivative of sorts), and this gpc blows away the $99 linux
preloaded cyrix 700 mhz clone i bought in january..

>>i can't get the GPC to connect to my prodigy dial up servie..

> Oh God no! Unthinkable that such an elegant OS couldn't do a simple
> no-brainier like this. Tsk, tsk. What a shock!

Got my global pc today!

Post by John Howar » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 11:16:38

Sad for who, Bob?

Not sad for Joe - it does what he wants it to do.

Not sad for me, Joe's happy.  So I'm happy for him.

Must be sad for you for some reason, although I can't see why a
reasonably smart fella (assuming something here) is unhappy about what
kind of computer a person thousands of miles distant uses.

Aloha,
   John ;-)

>>It is the only computer that I use.

> So very sad : (

Got my global pc today!

Post by Ray Kopczyns » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:19:15

<< without the owners manual i can't tell what i have..  the boot up screen
supplies no inof other than a "warming up " message. >>

Once you move to the "Advanced Desktop" screens, go to Preferences and once at
that screen, do a "Ctrl-I" (capital " i ") -- that will then pop up a screen
showing you which version of the software you are using.

<< MAB - 0400 - 000015660 >>

That tells me you have acquired the 15,660th GPC that was manufactured if I
remember their numbering scheme correctly.

Ray

>> << How can i update this gpc?? >>

>> I will email you with all the patches, updates, etc. I had that I sent to
all
>> GPC owners in our database as MyTurn was tanking...  I am presuming your GPC
is
>> the original retail-boxed one -- that had not been updated.  (v1.2)

>> Ray

Ray Kopczynski

Geos -- The O/S for those who have simpler needs and hardware...
http://profiles.yahoo.com/geoholic

Got my global pc today!

Post by hyubs » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:54:16

when i finally got to a dos screen by booting from a floppy (with
ctrl-alt-f1), i checked the directories on the c drive and saw one
directory named  "1.3"   so am  i correct to guess this GPC already has
the 1.3 updates installed??  will be reapplying hte patch you sent now
that i can get onto prodigy with the other small patch included  with
your email.. thanks for your help, by the way...

> << How can i update this gpc?? >>

> I will email you with all the patches, updates, etc. I had that I sent to all
> GPC owners in our database as MyTurn was tanking...  I am presuming your GPC is
> the original retail-boxed one -- that had not been updated.  (v1.2)

> Ray

Got my global pc today!

Post by Ray Kopczyns » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 22:14:48

<<  i checked the directories on the c drive and saw one directory named  "1.3"
  so am  i correct to guess this GPC already has the 1.3 updates installed?? >>

Yes.

Ray

Ray Kopczynski

Geos -- The O/S for those who have simpler needs and hardware...
http://profiles.yahoo.com/geoholic

Got my global pc today!

Post by Bob » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 03:07:23

Real bad. 3 years and 3 months, VS my 4 year guess-ta-mitt. Any way you look
at it, the term update is hardly valid.

Quote:> << Yes, send him his 4 year old update >>

> Hmmm -- Your math is as bad as some of your analogies.  :-)

> Last files I sent were about March of 2000 as I was shutting down shop as
one
> of the last four folks still getting a paycheck from them...

> Ray

Got my global pc today!

Post by Bob » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 03:08:21

and this gpc blows away the $99 linux

Quote:> preloaded cyrix 700 mhz clone i bought in january..

LOL! Oh Gawd!

Got my global pc today!

Post by hyubs » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 03:32:07

according to bob, applying a 4 year old patch to win98 will update
windows, but doing the same to a geos based product is not really an
update at all...

> Real bad. 3 years and 3 months, VS my 4 year guess-ta-mitt. Any way you look
> at it, the term update is hardly valid.

>><< Yes, send him his 4 year old update >>

>>Hmmm -- Your math is as bad as some of your analogies.  :-)

>>Last files I sent were about March of 2000 as I was shutting down shop as

> one

>>of the last four folks still getting a paycheck from them...

>>Ray

Got my global pc today!

Post by Bob » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 04:39:25

Applying a patch to Windows 98 that is 4 years old is useless. In case you
hadn't noticed MS offers current updates. Again you logic is extremely
lacking.

> according to bob, applying a 4 year old patch to win98 will update
> windows, but doing the same to a geos based product is not really an
> update at all...

> > Real bad. 3 years and 3 months, VS my 4 year guess-ta-mitt. Any way you
look
> > at it, the term update is hardly valid.

> >><< Yes, send him his 4 year old update >>

> >>Hmmm -- Your math is as bad as some of your analogies.  :-)

> >>Last files I sent were about March of 2000 as I was shutting down shop
as

> > one

> >>of the last four folks still getting a paycheck from them...

> >>Ray

Got my global pc today!

Post by hyubs » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 05:00:11

not all updates are current.. some updates are old.. like updating old
iwn95 to use usb..  you had ot patch the os, even though the update is
years old  and unchanged, it is still usable.

ta ta!

> Applying a patch to Windows 98 that is 4 years old is useless. In case you
> hadn't noticed MS offers current updates. Again you logic is extremely
> lacking.

Got my global pc today!

Post by Kenj » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 05:22:50

<snip>

Quote:> Aloha,
>    John ;-)

Another Vacation ????  Geeeez  =:0

Kenj

Got my global pc today!

Post by Kenj » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 05:28:54

> according to bob, applying a 4 year old patch to win98 will update
> windows, but doing the same to a geos based product is not really an
> update at all...

<big snip>

C'mon hyubso.....stop exaggerating ....there's no such thing as a 4 year old
patch for windows.
Everybody knows they're weekly....ROTFLMAO !!!!!!

Kenj

Got my global pc today!

Post by Bob » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 06:30:44

Wrong. The USB update that was designed for Windows 95 OSR2.0, 2.1 & 2.5 is
no longer a valid update as it doesn't offer support for currently made USB
devices. It was however a valid update in 1996 and 1997.

> not all updates are current.. some updates are old.. like updating old
> iwn95 to use usb..  you had ot patch the os, even though the update is
> years old  and unchanged, it is still usable.

> ta ta!

> > Applying a patch to Windows 98 that is 4 years old is useless. In case
you
> > hadn't noticed MS offers current updates. Again you logic is extremely
> > lacking.

Got my global pc today!

Post by Bob » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 06:31:20

Quote:> C'mon hyubso.....stop exaggerating ....there's no such thing as a 4 year
old
> patch for windows.
> Everybody knows they're weekly....ROTFLMAO !!!!!!

> Kenj

Right and that is a great thing!