Got my global pc today!

Post by hyubs » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 06:13:58

Bought a used GPC off of ebay..   My first GPC.   hey this thing so far
is impressive..  i hooked it up to my 27" tv, powered it up and , wow,
what a usable and , to me,  easy to use product, and what performance!
That instant on feature is impressive!! Beats any windows wake from
sleep gimmick..

Sure as hell beats a WEB TV  for versatility.. and the picture quality
on the TV using writer was certainly usable.

a very nice integration of the hardware with the geos software..  too
bad the product died..  I could see a battery powered  rom/ram based
hardware reduced keyboard computer as a successor product.

Have not tried any internet use yet... it will be interesting to see how
well it performs online..

  I think i got everything except the owners manual.  An owners manual
did originally ship with this thing, right???

Here's what was in the box...

GPC CPU unit
keybaord
mouse
power supply
yellow rca vieo cable
coax tv connector cable
coax tv connector switchbox
very long  telephone cable
telephone line splitter
a very stiff mouse pad
warranty card
tv converter setup poster
myturn.com online service  Q+A card
a yellow "read me first" piece of paper

Got my global pc today!

Post by Bob » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 08:03:43

It was such a GREAT PC that it really took off! MyTurn spent millions and
the thing *out in less then a month. Yes, you surely have a GREAT PC!!!

Quote:> Bought a used GPC off of ebay..   My first GPC.   hey this thing so far
> is impressive..  i hooked it up to my 27" tv, powered it up and , wow,
> what a usable and , to me,  easy to use product, and what performance!
> That instant on feature is impressive!! Beats any windows wake from
> sleep gimmick..

> Sure as hell beats a WEB TV  for versatility.. and the picture quality
> on the TV using writer was certainly usable.

> a very nice integration of the hardware with the geos software..  too
> bad the product died..  I could see a battery powered  rom/ram based
> hardware reduced keyboard computer as a successor product.

> Have not tried any internet use yet... it will be interesting to see how
> well it performs online..

>   I think i got everything except the owners manual.  An owners manual
> did originally ship with this thing, right???

> Here's what was in the box...

> GPC CPU unit
> keybaord
> mouse
> power supply
> yellow rca vieo cable
> coax tv connector cable
> coax tv connector switchbox
> very long  telephone cable
> telephone line splitter
> a very stiff mouse pad
> warranty card
> tv converter setup poster
> myturn.com online service  Q+A card
> a yellow "read me first" piece of paper

Got my global pc today!

Oh BTW, I had two. IIRC I gave them away for shipping charges.

Post by Ray Kopczyns » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:27:50

<< An owners manual  did originally ship with this thing, right??? >>

Yep -- sure did...

Ray

Got my global pc today!

Post by Pat » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:37:47

Bob, he's not serious and is obviously busting your chops.

> Oh BTW, I had two. IIRC I gave them away for shipping charges.

> > It was such a GREAT PC that it really took off! MyTurn spent millions
and
> > the thing *out in less then a month. Yes, you surely have a GREAT
> PC!!!

> > > Bought a used GPC off of ebay..   My first GPC.   hey this thing so
far
> > > is impressive..  i hooked it up to my 27" tv, powered it up and , wow,
> > > what a usable and , to me,  easy to use product, and what performance!
> > > That instant on feature is impressive!! Beats any windows wake from
> > > sleep gimmick..

> > > Sure as hell beats a WEB TV  for versatility.. and the picture quality
> > > on the TV using writer was certainly usable.

> > > a very nice integration of the hardware with the geos software..  too
> > > bad the product died..  I could see a battery powered  rom/ram based
> > > hardware reduced keyboard computer as a successor product.

> > > Have not tried any internet use yet... it will be interesting to see
how
> > > well it performs online..

> > >   I think i got everything except the owners manual.  An owners manual
> > > did originally ship with this thing, right???

> > > Here's what was in the box...

> > > GPC CPU unit
> > > keybaord
> > > mouse
> > > power supply
> > > yellow rca vieo cable
> > > coax tv connector cable
> > > coax tv connector switchbox
> > > very long  telephone cable
> > > telephone line splitter
> > > a very stiff mouse pad
> > > warranty card
> > > tv converter setup poster
> > > myturn.com online service  Q+A card
> > > a yellow "read me first" piece of paper

Got my global pc today!

Post by Joseph Durha » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:43:17

I have been using a Global PC since August 2000.  Like it very well.  You
may need the internet update so that you can plug in the home page of choice
instead of the out of service myturn site.

It is the only computer that I use.

Post by Tom Accuost » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 01:45:12

| I have been using a Global PC since August 2000.  Like it very well.
| You may need the internet update so that you can plug in the home
| page of choice instead of the out of service myturn site.
|
| It is the only computer that I use.

|| Bought a used GPC off of ebay..   My first GPC.   hey this thing so
|| far is impressive..  i hooked it up to my 27" tv, powered it up and
|| , wow, what a usable and , to me,  easy to use product, and what
|| performance! That instant on feature is impressive!! Beats any
|| windows wake from sleep gimmick..
|| Sure as hell beats a WEB TV  for versatility.. and the picture
|| quality on the TV using writer was certainly usable.

Joe -

Just for some perspective, can you tell us what kinds of things that you
typically do with your GPC? Much web surfing? Email? Spreadsheets and
stuff? I'm just trying to get some idea of what keeps you working with
it.

Thanks

Tom

Got my global pc today!

Post by hyubs » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 04:08:35

i can't get the GPC to connect to my prodigy dial up servie..   On older
versions of ndo on regular pcs,  i was able to install a logging ppp
driver  to replace the standard driver, and with the logging driver I
could  dial in and attach to prodigy.  How can i update this gpc?? Is
there any location on the intenet where i can dowload any pathces or
last updates released before myturn went under?  Also, i can't get to a
dos prompt or access the cmos!   Was info on how to do this provided in
the owners manual which i did not get?? sorry for all the questions, but
this GPC is impossible to hack in to!

There are lots of things i like about this GPC..  the way it boots..
lots better than an old 486.. plus the light weight, no noisy fan to
suchk dust into the machine and ruin the floppy drive.. the relatively
small size...  I took it apart last night to see what's inside.. very
much like the an improved macintosh LC, hardware wise.

Still have teh GPC attached to the tv..  funny i have not attched it to
  a monitor, but i do not have a spare monitor at the moment, nor desk
space.. so the living room is where that little thing sits...  the TV
support has proven handy in this case..  only thing that makes me
nervous is the spinning hard drive while the GPC is on my lap..  am
afraid i will scratch the disk while moving hte gpc.

hyubso

> I have been using a Global PC since August 2000.  Like it very well.  You
> may need the internet update so that you can plug in the home page of choice
> instead of the out of service myturn site.

> It is the only computer that I use.

>>Bought a used GPC off of ebay..   My first GPC.   hey this thing so far
>>is impressive..  i hooked it up to my 27" tv, powered it up and , wow,
>>what a usable and , to me,  easy to use product, and what performance!
>>That instant on feature is impressive!! Beats any windows wake from
>>sleep gimmick..

>>Sure as hell beats a WEB TV  for versatility.. and the picture quality
>>on the TV using writer was certainly usable.

Got my global pc today!

Post by hyubs » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 04:12:24

are you using your gpc to read and post to this newsgroup, or did you
use a friends/the library's/etc computer...?

> I have been using a Global PC since August 2000.  Like it very well.  You
> may need the internet update so that you can plug in the home page of choice
> instead of the out of service myturn site.

> It is the only computer that I use.

Got my global pc today!

Post by hyubs » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 04:17:56

i think this used gpc is a bargain at ~ $30, including shipping.... sure
wish i bought yours...

a hardware 56k modem still costs about $50 these days...

and a 4gb hard drive is plenty roomy.. i could swap it out for a 500mb
drive, adn use this 4gb drive in a friends old k62/350 windows machine i
repaired for here with junk parts

> Oh BTW, I had two. IIRC I gave them away for shipping charges.

> "

Got my global pc today!

Post by Bob » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 04:54:58

Quote:> It is the only computer that I use.

So very sad : (

Got my global pc today!

Post by Bob » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 04:56:06

Quote:> i can't get the GPC to connect to my prodigy dial up servie..

Oh God no! Unthinkable that such an elegant OS couldn't do a simple
no-brainier like this. Tsk, tsk. What a shock!

Got my global pc today!

Post by Ray Kopczyns » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:24:49

<< How can i update this gpc?? >>

I will email you with all the patches, updates, etc. I had that I sent to all
GPC owners in our database as MyTurn was tanking...  I am presuming your GPC is
the original retail-boxed one -- that had not been updated.  (v1.2)

Ray

Got my global pc today!

Post by Bob » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:34:31

Quote:> << How can i update this gpc?? >>

> I will email you with all the patches, updates, etc. I had that I sent to
all
> GPC owners in our database as MyTurn was tanking...  I am presuming your
GPC is
> the original retail-boxed one -- that had not been updated.  (v1.2)

> Ray

Yes, send him his 4 year old update.

Got my global pc today!

Post by Ray Kopczyns » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:42:43

<< Yes, send him his 4 year old update >>

Hmmm -- Your math is as bad as some of your analogies.  :-)

Last files I sent were about March of 2000 as I was shutting down shop as one
of the last four folks still getting a paycheck from them...

Ray

1. static global variables not getting initialized to ZERO!!

Hi,

If I have a static global variable ( which goes into BSS area of the
process or vxWorks image ) does not get initialized to '0' for the mips
(R4000) target compilation/linking!

i.e.
If I have a function like as shown below...

static int x;

void my_function(void)
{
        if (x)
        {
             if_condition_code_block;
        }
        else
        {
                 else_condition_code_block;
            }

on VxSim (simulator on Windows NT) 'else_condition_code_block'
gets executed, where as on mips target 'if_condition_code_block'
gets executed!

Has anyone noticed similar problems? Any clues on why this may be
happening? Is this any boundary case? or am I missing any linker
commands or options?

Any information you can share on this, will be appeciated.

Thanks
Prakash

2. My Financial Institution

3. HOWTO:Dynamically getting all of the global variables and their v alues

4. Borders

5. Global Variables are bad*, but what about Global objects

6. How can I test the significance of peaks in a MEM spectrum?

7. Today almost today

8. BLUE VELVET

9. Today... today...

10. Geos/Global PC in the UK?