Geoworks Corporation - New Management

Post by Edward Nij » Thu, 15 May 2003 05:32:56

Hi,

Take a look at Pedro Almdovar's movie "Hable con Ella"
Life and coma can be beautiful. :-)

Edward

> People on heart and lung machines or in a coma are legally alive, but most
> would consider them virtually dead and just being maintained a stage above
> the state where their heart has stopped. <g>

> > The death of GEOS has already taken place. It is a non-entity. John,
sell
> it
> > anyone. Go ahead. Go get any company to back you with your ideas about
> > PC/GEOS. You know better then I that you'll get laughed outta the joint!
> > There is no place for it and hasn't been for at least 5 years. Perhaps
> > longer. It is at best a distant memory for a handful of people. Look
> around.
> > GEOS is dead. The same 6 people post here. GWRX dropped it, New Deal
died,
> > the GlobalPC died before anyone even knew it was, and BBX hasn't got two
> > pennies to rub together to do anything of value to GEOS. Just admit it
is
> > nice little hobby you enjoy and stop talking all this nonsense about the
> > future of a corpse.

> > > Not a copout Bob.  A statement of fact.  And no, I don't know that BBX
> or
> > any
> > > other company will never have the capital to redo Geos.  I'm sticking
> with
> > > Breadbox because I DO think that we can make Geos a more viable
product
> > than it
> > > already is.

> > > BTW - how long have you been saying that the death of Geos is near?
> Gotta
> > be
> > > measured in years, huh?  Maybe it's dead to you?  Nah - can't be,
> > otherwise you
> > > wouldn't keep telling us all that it'll be dead soon.

> > > Stay tuned...

> > > John ;-)

> there
> > is
> > have

> > beat

do

> > gonna

from

It
> > was

> > good

> > Deal
> apps

> > are
> > else

> > for

> is.

> for

Geoworks Corporation - New Management

Post by Pat » Thu, 15 May 2003 07:16:11

Pedro is brilliant! I've seen almost all of his movies when first released
in the US in theaters, and more on video.

In the film "Talk to Her", there is an almost creepy devotion on the part of
the two men for women who have no awareness of their existence. Its a good
parallel to GEOS "true believers". That one day a miracle will happen and
the loved one, who is in a coma, will become fully viable again.
Alternatively, its also about devotion and an almost religious loyalty to
another person.

There is plenty of evidence about coma patients actually recovering and the
probability is often very low. In the case of GEOS, its even lower. Because
GEOS is an inanimate object that is unable to heal itself. Its 100%
dependent on programmers to snap it out of its Coma. Unfortunately, GEOS has
already set a precedence of WHAT IT NEEDS to be VIABLE, AGAIN. It will need
a significant amount of new code by programmers ($$$) who really, really
know the internals and have the world-class talent to make it rise up from
its Coma. I don't know about Bob, but I haven't seen any evidence of BBOX's
resources to accomplish this, especially when the company is also
programming for non-desktop platforms. Unless they hired Ken Thompson and
Dennis Ritchie, from Bell Labs, or Richard Stallman, founder of Gnu. Those
guys are of a caliber to pull it off. But there are only a few of these
gurus in the world.

Personally, I can't see where this is possible with BBOX. I am certain they
have qualified people who know a lot about GEOS and I'm sure they can get
heart beats to flutter with demos of stuff they have developed.
Unfortunately, there is a huge disconnect between "Proof of Concept" code
and a deliverable product that has fully tested backward compatibility. Its
a Pandora's Box they don't want to open, IMHO!

I have been attacked in this ng for being negative, but all I have gotten in
reply have been half-baked, "you're negative" posts. Or when people offer an
opinion, its usually based on wishful thinking, like "What-If" scenarios
with few facts. Rosy colored glass postulations about how GEOS coulda been a
contenda, etc, etc.

"Edward Nijs" <edwardn...@skynet.be> wrote in message

> Hi,

> Take a look at Pedro Almdovar's movie "Hable con Ella"
> Life and coma can be beautiful. :-)

> Edward
> "Pat" <hotpat...@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
> > People on heart and lung machines or in a coma are legally alive, but
most
> > would consider them virtually dead and just being maintained a stage
above
> > the state where their heart has stopped. <g>

> > "Bob" <bob12...@attbi.com> wrote in message
> > > The death of GEOS has already taken place. It is a non-entity. John,
> sell
> > it
> > > anyone. Go ahead. Go get any company to back you with your ideas about
> > > PC/GEOS. You know better then I that you'll get laughed outta the
joint!
> > > There is no place for it and hasn't been for at least 5 years. Perhaps
> > > longer. It is at best a distant memory for a handful of people. Look
> > around.
> > > GEOS is dead. The same 6 people post here. GWRX dropped it, New Deal
> died,
> > > the GlobalPC died before anyone even knew it was, and BBX hasn't got
two
> > > pennies to rub together to do anything of value to GEOS. Just admit it
> is
> > > nice little hobby you enjoy and stop talking all this nonsense about
the
> > > future of a corpse.

> > > "John Howard" <jo...@breadbox.com> wrote in message
BBX
> > or
> > > any
> > with
> product
> > > than it

> > Gotta
> > > be
> > > otherwise you

> > there
> > > is
> ever
> > > have

> > > beat

ONLY

> do

> > > gonna

> from

> It
> > > was

> what
> > > good

New
> > > Deal
> > apps

> you
> > > are
> > > else

> program
> > > for

> > is.

Go
> > for

Geoworks Corporation - New Management

Post by Bob » Thu, 15 May 2003 07:28:11

There are no "what ifs". There is no one that could possibly argue the fact
the an old 16-bit DOS-Based GUI which is constrained to 640K of memory is
NOT dead! Not to mention the fact that every company that has ever touched
PC/GEOS has either dropped it, (and quickly), or gone belly-up, or both. BBX
hasn't any resources what-so-ever to do anything of any value to GEOS. They
may apps some 1/2baked apps to it, but it itself will never be redone. So,
none of it matters. There is not now, nor has there been for YEARS, any R &
D to PC/GEOS. No one with the brain the size of a walnut can think
otherwise.

John can post his, "just u wait" bulls*it, but......BBX has ZERO resources
to do zippo with GEOS. It would cost a fortune to redo GEOS and even
then...it wouldn't stand a chance in the market place. No investors would
touch it with a 10 foot, (3 meter), pole :)

> [...]

in
> reply have been half-baked, "you're negative" posts. Or when people offer
an
> opinion, its usually based on wishful thinking, like "What-If" scenarios
> with few facts. Rosy colored glass postulations about how GEOS coulda been
> contenda, etc, etc.

> "Edward Nijs" <edwardn...@skynet.be> wrote in message
> > Hi,

> > Take a look at Pedro Almdovar's movie "Hable con Ella"
> > Life and coma can be beautiful. :-)

> > Edward
> > "Pat" <hotpat...@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
> > > People on heart and lung machines or in a coma are legally alive, but
> most
> > > would consider them virtually dead and just being maintained a stage
> above
> > > the state where their heart has stopped. <g>

read more »

Geoworks Corporation - New Management

Post by Pat » Thu, 15 May 2003 11:41:37

I don't get it. Why would they waste their time and money perpetuating an
implausible business plan and jeopardize everything else they are doing?
There must be something we're missing here. Surely they are not uninformed
of the facts and what is involved. Maybe they have stumbled onto a way to
improve GEOS without a major rewrite. Perhaps not a full 32-bit environment
but just enough breathing room to vastly improve things. Has anyone seen any
of their new code or is it just vapor? Also, do you get the feeling that
getting information about futures is way tougher now than when Geoworks and
New Deal ran things? I just checked Howard's new thread and by the name, I
thought he was soliciting ideas for a future GEOS release but its just a mud
slinging thread. If I started something like that, I'd be pummeled as a
character assassin. Its not very professional, IMHO!

> [...]

code
> > and a deliverable product that has fully tested backward compatibility.
> Its
> > a Pandora's Box they don't want to open, IMHO!

> > I have been attacked in this ng for being negative, but all I have
gotten
> in
> > reply have been half-baked, "you're negative" posts. Or when people
offer
> an
> > opinion, its usually based on wishful thinking, like "What-If" scenarios
> > with few facts. Rosy colored glass postulations about how GEOS coulda
been
> > contenda, etc, etc.

> > "Edward Nijs" <edwardn...@skynet.be> wrote in message
> > > Hi,

> > > Take a look at Pedro Almdovar's movie "Hable con Ella"

read more »