what is "needed"?

Post by Wayne Loga » Fri, 30 May 2003 14:06:47

I've been listening in, some of the time, and am wondering, what is it that
some/many/few geos users are looking for, in terms of development? Ok the
browser might not be IE 6.0 or whatever, but the core applications still
are very good,
and surely meet the needs of many, if not most home, small business, and
educational users "out there." Or have I missed something?
scanning, playing mp3s etc, high-end graphics use, latest games... ok if
these are wanted, hardware can be bought accordingly and the windows or
linux or apple os to go with it.

So many folk can benefit from the geos software plus the computers many are
throwing away. I don't think we have an argument about that.

I'm just curious to know what are the developments and new applications and
features that people are desperate for?

-regards,
Wayne.
(warilo)

what is "needed"?

Post by Bob » Sat, 31 May 2003 04:46:24

Who cares? There are zero resources for developing GEOS. Wish lists have
been around fro over 10 years for GEOS. Can u not understand that NO ONE is
developing GEOS?

Quote:> I've been listening in, some of the time, and am wondering, what is it
that
> some/many/few geos users are looking for, in terms of development? Ok the
> browser might not be IE 6.0 or whatever, but the core applications still
> are very good,
> and surely meet the needs of many, if not most home, small business, and
> educational users "out there." Or have I missed something?
> scanning, playing mp3s etc, high-end graphics use, latest games... ok if
> these are wanted, hardware can be bought accordingly and the windows or
> linux or apple os to go with it.

> So many folk can benefit from the geos software plus the computers many
are
> throwing away. I don't think we have an argument about that.

> I'm just curious to know what are the developments and new applications
and
> features that people are desperate for?

> -regards,
> Wayne.
> (warilo)

what is "needed"?

Post by Pat » Sat, 31 May 2003 12:01:28

GEOS is like a piece of Swiss cheese. As long as your nibbling on THE
CHEESE, its fine, but then you fall into a hole and there is no code to help
you. All the owners of GEOS, since Geoworks dropped development of Ensemble,
have done practically nothing to the interior (internal) code. And its not
because its perfect and needs no updating or re-writing. Its the old adage
"IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT" mentality, because it really costs a bundle
to tackle that mountain of programs that could crumble once you start making
changes.

Quote:> I've been listening in, some of the time, and am wondering, what is it
that
> some/many/few geos users are looking for, in terms of development? Ok the
> browser might not be IE 6.0 or whatever, but the core applications still
> are very good,
> and surely meet the needs of many, if not most home, small business, and
> educational users "out there." Or have I missed something?
> scanning, playing mp3s etc, high-end graphics use, latest games... ok if
> these are wanted, hardware can be bought accordingly and the windows or
> linux or apple os to go with it.

> So many folk can benefit from the geos software plus the computers many
are
> throwing away. I don't think we have an argument about that.

> I'm just curious to know what are the developments and new applications
and
> features that people are desperate for?

> -regards,
> Wayne.
> (warilo)

what is "needed"?

Post by Philippe Dallemagn » Sat, 31 May 2003 16:10:47

> GEOS is like a piece of Swiss cheese. As long as your nibbling on THE
> CHEESE, its fine, but then you fall into a hole

There is not a trace of any hole in original swiss cheese (assume
Gruyre). When swiss cheese has any hole, it is due to poor
"manufacturing" (or milk-processing) and the whole "meule" (I only know
the french word for the big ball of cheese, 62 cm diameter, about 35 kg)
is then rejected and doomed to be re-engineered into industrial melted
cheese (the one you can easily spread on a slice of bread).

Actually, outside switzerland, I tasted industrial (very) low-quality
swiss-like cheese. It sometimes has holes and it is really awful.

I think that the same stands for good gouda. It is not the kind of
cheese I usually enjoy, but I recently had some really good gouda at
Schipol Airport (yes, there was a degustation here - old and older
cheese, salted, not salted, with pepper, witout, etc). No holes.

I won't comment the rest of your post. Is GEOS like good swiss cheese ?
To me it is more like good swiss chocolate, hh ;-)

Philippe.

what is "needed"?

Post by Edward Nij » Sat, 31 May 2003 21:26:23

Hi Philippe,

Of course to me it is like Belgian chocolate.
Or like Queso Manchego, delicious.

Edward Nijs

> > GEOS is like a piece of Swiss cheese. As long as your nibbling on THE
> > CHEESE, its fine, but then you fall into a hole

> There is not a trace of any hole in original swiss cheese (assume
> Gruyre). When swiss cheese has any hole, it is due to poor
> "manufacturing" (or milk-processing) and the whole "meule" (I only know
> the french word for the big ball of cheese, 62 cm diameter, about 35 kg)
> is then rejected and doomed to be re-engineered into industrial melted
> cheese (the one you can easily spread on a slice of bread).

> Actually, outside switzerland, I tasted industrial (very) low-quality
> swiss-like cheese. It sometimes has holes and it is really awful.

> I think that the same stands for good gouda. It is not the kind of
> cheese I usually enjoy, but I recently had some really good gouda at
> Schipol Airport (yes, there was a degustation here - old and older
> cheese, salted, not salted, with pepper, witout, etc). No holes.

> I won't comment the rest of your post. Is GEOS like good swiss cheese ?
> To me it is more like good swiss chocolate, hh ;-)

> Philippe.

what is "needed"?

Post by Andreas Bollhalde » Sat, 31 May 2003 23:51:26

He!!!

Di? L?cher i d?r? Sort? Ch?s m?nd eifach sii, wills suscht n?d d? Ch?s
isch.

(The holes in that sort of cheese have to be, otherwise it wouldn't be that
cheese.)

Andreas

> > GEOS is like a piece of Swiss cheese. As long as your nibbling on THE
> > CHEESE, its fine, but then you fall into a hole

> There is not a trace of any hole in original swiss cheese (assume
> Gruyre). When swiss cheese has any hole, it is due to poor
> "manufacturing" (or milk-processing) and the whole "meule" (I only know
> the french word for the big ball of cheese, 62 cm diameter, about 35 kg)
> is then rejected and doomed to be re-engineered into industrial melted
> cheese (the one you can easily spread on a slice of bread).

> Actually, outside switzerland, I tasted industrial (very) low-quality
> swiss-like cheese. It sometimes has holes and it is really awful.

> I think that the same stands for good gouda. It is not the kind of
> cheese I usually enjoy, but I recently had some really good gouda at
> Schipol Airport (yes, there was a degustation here - old and older
> cheese, salted, not salted, with pepper, witout, etc). No holes.

> I won't comment the rest of your post. Is GEOS like good swiss cheese ?
> To me it is more like good swiss chocolate, hh ;-)

> Philippe.

what is "needed"?

Post by Pat » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 00:24:41

Quote:> There is not a trace of any hole in original swiss cheese (assume
> Gruyre).

Philippe (Ami),

I'm referring to the inferior quality of Swiss cheese that is made for the
American masses. And I think the metaphor applies to GEOS. ;-)

http://makeashorterlink.com/?G3E9420C4

Trying to change the subject by attacking the varsity of the metaphor is a
cute debating trick, that just puts a bigger spot light on the problem of
the pathetic lack of maturity of the Geoworks version of Ensemble that was
not served well by the over half dozen years that ND/BBX has decoted to it.

In the final analysis, GEOS is a mess, in the context of viable on-going
computer software platform!

Each second, minute, and hour of the day, that goes by, GEOS sinks further
into insignificance as a potential contender as an alternative OS to Windows
and Linux. The only thing that would save GEOS is for the GNU group of
worldwide developers to adopt it. But that will never happen, even if the
source were free. Why? GEOS is old technology, based on what the original
developers invented in the midst of what was known about computer software
architecture back then, when one-meg of memory was highly priced and PCs
cost over $1500 for a 286 with monitor.

Look, I sense you mostly agree with me but are just being obstinate and
sarcastic about the facts, and I can understand that, but the preponderance
of evidence of the odds against GEOS surviving is overwhelming. Why not just
file GEOS under the category of an Antique OS that has served its community
of low-end users quite well in the early 1990s, but is no longer viable in
the 21st Century.

what is "needed"?

Post by Pat » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 05:02:14

Quote:> Oh, I think it's ok for the first few decades ;-) because it serves me
> very well today and probably next week too. IIRC, I have used and
> abandonned more Windows releases than GEOS ones. I take it as a good
> sign for GEOS.

Of course, you can't always teach an old dog new tricks very easily.
However, there is very little to attract new dogs, based on the non
competitive nature of the current GEOS. The GEOS club has inadvertently
closed its own door to future users based on the product remaining stale,
due to insufficient development. Sure, GEOS will be around for a decades if
at least one person had it running one their system. Using that logic,
everything is alive, including women who wear corsets. But in sheer ratio of
users, corsets and GEOS are both dead!

what is "needed"?

Post by Hans Lindgre » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 18:38:23

> I've been listening in, some of the time, and am wondering, what is it
that
> some/many/few geos users are looking for, in terms of development? Ok
the
> browser might not be IE 6.0 or whatever, but the core applications still
> are very good,
> and surely meet the needs of many, if not most home, small business, and
> educational users "out there." Or have I missed something?
> scanning, playing mp3s etc, high-end graphics use, latest games... ok
if
> these are wanted, hardware can be bought accordingly and the windows or
> linux or apple os to go with it.

> So many folk can benefit from the geos software plus the computers many
are
> throwing away. I don't think we have an argument about that.

> I'm just curious to know what are the developments and new applications
and
> features that people are desperate for?

Well, here we go again ;-)

Well, I wish for javascript in WebMagick, but this is not possible without
GEOS32.
Support for LPD/LPR network printing port. Lifting Email to the same level
as
NewMail. Wheel mouse support. Fixing GeoManager so that the current view
can
be saved. A general overhaul of the PDF Viewer. General bugfixing, like
the GeoZip
directory bug. And to that we can add what is applicable of the Steve Main's
list of
GEOS updates, downloadable from Tva Katter.

Poor John and Frank ;-)

Now they know what we, the four remaining GEOS users,  all want!

Oops! Sorry, six with John and Frank!

BR,
Hans

what is "needed"?

Post by C BLANK » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 03:31:28

***I've been listening in, some of the time, and am wondering, what is it
that

Quote:> some/many/few geos users are looking for, in terms of development? ***

How about...

Getting the gradient color attribute to print out smooth gradients over 1/4 to
1/2 inch. That will eliminate the need to use shade gradient image overlays.

Chip Blank
GUI
GeoGrafix

The GEOS Users International website is at:
http://hometown.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

what is "needed"?

Post by Pat » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 05:19:07

STOP THE PRESSES, I'M GETTING ANNOYED HERE:

Start a thread for people who still use GEOS at least once every week. Not
the ones that like GEOS, or the ones who have it on a drive some where, or
have a stack of diskettes in the cellar, or gave their copy to a friend or
relative because they were complaining about being a computer dummy and you
wanted to do them a favor and turn them onto a DOS program that would solve
their problems (yeah, right). Yes, lets start a thread and demand those
poting really use GEOS and to declare the frequency (at least once every
week) they use it, and for what use.

There are hundreds of millions of personal computers in the world, and this
ng is the prime one used for non-programmer GEOS support and announcements.
Yes, there are other groups in the Eastern European block and there are web
sites (e.g. that kat one) but this is the PRIME SPOT where non programmers
come to for help, information, or to comment.

Based on some of the dialogue that I've sampled around here, I feel we
should get a few hundred unique and real users posting in the first few
days, and who knows how many of those will be artificial posters, who add
multiple messages to make the numbers look better.

Where are all those GEOS users that I've been hearing about and being
disappointed by the dozen or so same people posting about how great GEOS is
and how many users there are in the world??? Was it Hyusbo that claimed
millions. Wow, based on that, we should have a half-dozed GEOS newsgroups.
ROTFL!!!

Quote:

> Well, we better take Bob and Pat by their words........

> I can fix cement or concerte, Wayne can you fix a zink bucket, and
Philippe
> can you think of a place where we can dump it? Really deep so no one can
> get their hands on it again as GEOS is declared to be dead.

> ;-)

> BR,
> Hans

what is "needed"?

Post by Bob » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 05:21:49

Pat. If it wasn't for responses to my posts, or your posts, the ng would be
as dead as PC/GEOS :)

> STOP THE PRESSES, I'M GETTING ANNOYED HERE:

> Start a thread for people who still use GEOS at least once every week. Not
> the ones that like GEOS, or the ones who have it on a drive some where, or
> have a stack of diskettes in the cellar, or gave their copy to a friend or
> relative because they were complaining about being a computer dummy and
you
> wanted to do them a favor and turn them onto a DOS program that would
solve
> their problems (yeah, right). Yes, lets start a thread and demand those
> poting really use GEOS and to declare the frequency (at least once every
> week) they use it, and for what use.

> There are hundreds of millions of personal computers in the world, and
this
> ng is the prime one used for non-programmer GEOS support and
announcements.
> Yes, there are other groups in the Eastern European block and there are
web
> sites (e.g. that kat one) but this is the PRIME SPOT where non programmers
> come to for help, information, or to comment.

> Based on some of the dialogue that I've sampled around here, I feel we
> should get a few hundred unique and real users posting in the first few
> days, and who knows how many of those will be artificial posters, who add
> multiple messages to make the numbers look better.

> Where are all those GEOS users that I've been hearing about and being
> disappointed by the dozen or so same people posting about how great GEOS
is
> and how many users there are in the world??? Was it Hyusbo that claimed
> millions. Wow, based on that, we should have a half-dozed GEOS newsgroups.
> ROTFL!!!

> > Well, we better take Bob and Pat by their words........

> > I can fix cement or concerte, Wayne can you fix a zink bucket, and
> Philippe
> > can you think of a place where we can dump it? Really deep so no one can
> > get their hands on it again as GEOS is declared to be dead.

> > ;-)

> > BR,
> > Hans

what is "needed"?

Post by Ray Kopczyns » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 06:22:21

<<...this is the PRIME SPOT where non programmers come to for help,
information, or to comment. >>

Bingo! And that is exacty what occurs in this ng...diatribes notwithstanding.

Ray