Upgrading Nokia 9110 GeOS

Post by Florian-Daniel Ote » Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hello all,

I am a new owner of a Nokia 9110 but there's only one thing that stops
me for being a `happy` owner. Seems that the language cannot be set and
i got stuck w/ a unit presenting me the menus & all in the local
language (swedish in my case) instead of international english.

As I am "do it yourself" type of person I would like to ask if it's
possible to "upgrade" the GeOS in the unit i.e. replace it with an
english version. I know, the keyboad mappings might get a little screwed
due to key re-mappings but I wouldn't mind.

If this is not possible (please say so if the case) I have to return the
unit to the reseller for replacement (I'm not doing it right away as is
an off-city company with veeery long turn-around times)

Please reply as soon as possible.

Many, many thanks,

Florian.

P.S: Please Cc: me in the replies as i'm not regulary reading USENET
news

Upgrading Nokia 9110 GeOS

Post by Ville Joup » Tue, 28 Sep 1999 04:00:00

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999 06:12:15 +0200, Florian-Daniel Otel

>I am a new owner of a Nokia 9110 but there's only one thing that stops
>me for being a `happy` owner. Seems that the language cannot be set and
>i got stuck w/ a unit presenting me the menus & all in the local
>language (swedish in my case) instead of international english.

I know the feeling. I just can't use any technical equipment (be it a
VCR or a cellphone) in my native language (Finnish)

Quote:>As I am "do it yourself" type of person I would like to ask if it's
>possible to "upgrade" the GeOS in the unit i.e. replace it with an
>english version. I know, the keyboad mappings might get a little screwed
>due to key re-mappings but I wouldn't mind.

You "can't" upgrade it yourself, but if you take it to your local
Nokia service centre, they'll do it for you.

When I said "can't" I meant not easily. Of course you can, just
unsolder the eeprom chip and burn the software yourself! Just great
until the magic smoke comes out, and also well suited to those who
don't want free repairs under the warranty time.. (and another
interesting issue is where to find the ROM contents?)
--
  Universal CBM, PEZ, and TI-calc nut, Scout, Glider pilot, "Student"

                  GSM: +358-40-5679999, IRCNet: Jope
    "I see", said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Upgrading Nokia 9110 GeOS

Post by Clemens » Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:00:00

<<I just can't use any technical equipment (be it a
VCR or a cellphone) in my native language (Finnish)>>

Ville, ever considered hex-editing the kbd driver to your liking and then
making an ini change in order to activate your home-brew driver?  I did that
years ago and still use the same driver despite all interim upgrades.  It's a
major undertaking and requires some effort but worth it in the long run.

Clemens

Upgrading Nokia 9110 GeOS

Post by Automa » Thu, 30 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Format the file system and start over, you can then choose the language
type.

Automan

> On Thu, 23 Sep 1999 06:12:15 +0200, Florian-Daniel Otel

> >I am a new owner of a Nokia 9110 but there's only one thing that stops
> >me for being a `happy` owner. Seems that the language cannot be set and
> >i got stuck w/ a unit presenting me the menus & all in the local
> >language (swedish in my case) instead of international english.

> I know the feeling. I just can't use any technical equipment (be it a
> VCR or a cellphone) in my native language (Finnish)

> >As I am "do it yourself" type of person I would like to ask if it's
> >possible to "upgrade" the GeOS in the unit i.e. replace it with an
> >english version. I know, the keyboad mappings might get a little screwed
> >due to key re-mappings but I wouldn't mind.

> You "can't" upgrade it yourself, but if you take it to your local
> Nokia service centre, they'll do it for you.

> When I said "can't" I meant not easily. Of course you can, just
> unsolder the eeprom chip and burn the software yourself! Just great
> until the magic smoke comes out, and also well suited to those who
> don't want free repairs under the warranty time.. (and another
> interesting issue is where to find the ROM contents?)
> --
>   Universal CBM, PEZ, and TI-calc nut, Scout, Glider pilot, "Student"

>                   GSM: +358-40-5679999, IRCNet: Jope
>     "I see", said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Upgrading Nokia 9110 GeOS

Post by Dan Elgaar » Thu, 30 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Format the file system and start over, you can then choose the language

  No, only the country - not the language, which will always be the same....

--
Dan Elgaard
http://www.yaws.dk/communicator

1. : Upgrading Nokia 9110 GeOS

[Sorry for this repost but the sender address in previous mail was
incorrect]

[...]

2. Microsoft .NET Jolts the Industry

3. GeOS SDK for Nokia 9110

4. You could be the answer to my client's prayers

5. ssh (SecureSHell) for nokia 9110 communicator (geos)

6. SCSI behaviour of Macs

7. Which GEOS programs can I install/use on my nokia 9110?

8. Checking C++ coding conventions

9. Which GEOS programs may I use on my nokia 9110?

10. spreadsheet appl. for nokia 9110 communicator

11. Data export from Nokia 9110

12. NOKIA 9110 SDK:do you want it?

13. Newbie: The Nokia 9000/9110 SDK