FM-31 Missing System File

Post by Ro » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 01:59:19

I use two computers. A 386 for ND and a relatively new one for WinXP.
I couldn't get ND98 (release 3) to work under XP until today. Now it
works, (although I didn't change anything to try to make it work) with
the exception of opening any user created files. When I try to open a
file, I get a FM-31. What system file am I missing? Any ideas?

I've been away for a few years (after years of daily reading) and it's
nice to see some familiar names still here.

Rod - user since 1991

FM-31 Missing System File

Post by John Howar » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 04:42:58

Hi Rod,

Running Geos on WinXP can be problemattical at best.  There is a
compilation of tips on this subject in the downloads section at
www.breadbox.com.  Something in there might help.

John ;-)

> I use two computers. A 386 for ND and a relatively new one for WinXP.
> I couldn't get ND98 (release 3) to work under XP until today. Now it
> works, (although I didn't change anything to try to make it work) with
> the exception of opening any user created files. When I try to open a
> file, I get a FM-31. What system file am I missing? Any ideas?

> I've been away for a few years (after years of daily reading) and it's
> nice to see some familiar names still here.

> Rod - user since 1991

FM-31 Missing System File

Post by Bob » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 06:25:45

as john said, it is problematical at best. i have never gotten geos to run
properly under xp.

john, where's the xp patch dude??????? ;)

> Hi Rod,

> Running Geos on WinXP can be problemattical at best.  There is a
> compilation of tips on this subject in the downloads section at
> www.breadbox.com.  Something in there might help.

> John ;-)

> > I use two computers. A 386 for ND and a relatively new one for WinXP.
> > I couldn't get ND98 (release 3) to work under XP until today. Now it
> > works, (although I didn't change anything to try to make it work) with
> > the exception of opening any user created files. When I try to open a
> > file, I get a FM-31. What system file am I missing? Any ideas?

> > I've been away for a few years (after years of daily reading) and it's
> > nice to see some familiar names still here.

> > Rod - user since 1991

FM-31 Missing System File

Post by Thomas L. Christense » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 01:21:08

>as john said, it is problematical at best. i have never gotten geos to run
>properly under xp.

>john, where's the xp patch dude??????? ;)

Hey, Bob, why should John/Breadbox patch XP? Don't you think that is a
job for M$?  ;)  BTW - it's not worth the effort. XP is never gonna
work anyway...

--
Thomas L. Christensen - Svendborg, Denmark

FM-31 Missing System File

Post by Bob » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 05:41:11

> >as john said, it is problematical at best. i have never gotten geos to
run
> >properly under xp.

> >john, where's the xp patch dude??????? ;)

> Hey, Bob, why should John/Breadbox patch XP? Don't you think that is a
> job for M$?  ;)  BTW - it's not worth the effort. XP is never gonna
> work anyway...

LOL. XP is a really, really nice OS. Easily the best OS ever. Using it in a
"modern" upscale network is a DREAM! I've over 150 PC's to administer, and i
switched em all to XP Pro. Haven't had a seconds worth of trouble since.
24/7, 365.

FM-31 Missing System File

Post by Thomas L. Christense » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 06:38:02

>LOL. XP is a really, really nice OS.

Well, seriously, I think you're right. Most people I talk to say XP
really IS better and more stable than anything previously, so you
could very well be right. OTOH, that IS said about every windows
version since...

But, why has the dos-box not been better? In fact, why is it _less_
dos compatible than is has been in previous versions? Sure, M$ don't
pay attention to dos anymore, but why degrade an already working
dos-box? Where is the progress in that? Now we talk about patching a
perfectly working product, in terms of dos compatibility, to get it to
run in a dos-box. Sorry, but something is wrong with this picture...

--
Thomas L. Christensen - Svendborg, Denmark

FM-31 Missing System File

Post by Bob » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 09:17:42

Quote:> Well, seriously, I think you're right. Most people I talk to say XP
> really IS better and more stable than anything previously, so you
> could very well be right. OTOH, that IS said about every windows
> version since...

No not at all really. Many folks have stated how buggy 95 is, how buggy 98
is a how buggy ME is. Matters not that it "was" the newest. In fact only as
recently as W2K did most folks finally admit MS has made a stable, decent
OS. Was 98 less buggy then 95. Yup. Was ME less buggy the
98/98SE....NNNNOOOOO!!!! ME was far and away the worst version of the 9x
family ever.

Quote:> But, why has the dos-box not been better? In fact, why is it _less_
> dos compatible than is has been in previous versions?

Well honestly, DOS is dead. RIP. There is such a little use of DOS apps, why
not just kill it? If you wanna be stuck in that 1024K box, you have a lotta
choices. Go "pure" DOS, or run your DOS apps, under Win 3.1x, 9x. Since 1996
and NT4.0, DOS apps under the NT Family have struggled. Personally I can't
remember the last time I bothered with DOS except in an educational sense.
Other then that, its' as good as dead. I'm not saying that's good or bad. It
just is.

Quote:>Sure, M$ don't
> pay attention to dos anymore, but why degrade an already working
> dos-box?

Well like I said above. Since NT4.0 in 1996, and through the entire NT
family, DOS apps have been a challange at best.

Quote:>Where is the progress in that? Now we talk about patching a
> perfectly working product, in terms of dos compatibility, to get it to
> run in a dos-box. Sorry, but something is wrong with this picture...

Well no not really. We are talking about a product, (GEOS), that has not
really changed in 12 years. So, it more like now having to catch-up. Fixing
it to work under modern OS's. That's all really. IMHO, I wouldn't bother.
What I'd be working on is a 32-bit "stand-alone" version, that includes its'
own real-mode loaders, and can be installed and configured as a dual-boot
during setup. If setup detects another OS it should "prompt" the user etc.
Just my 2 cents, but PC's and PC users have really matured. NO ONE is now
going to go GEOS, unless.....

Quote:> Thomas L. Christensen - Svendborg, Denmark

Bob
(not supporting and unjust war)

FM-31 Missing System File

Post by hyubs » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 05:10:13

150 PCs x $100 each or maybe $200 each.. that is a bundle to pay,
what, $15,000 - $30,000 total, and what have you accomplished... not
much except make  microsoft that much wealthier.

do  you trade in your car every two years also?

> > >as john said, it is problematical at best. i have never gotten geos to
> run
> > >properly under xp.

> > >john, where's the xp patch dude??????? ;)

> > Hey, Bob, why should John/Breadbox patch XP? Don't you think that is a
> > job for M$?  ;)  BTW - it's not worth the effort. XP is never gonna
> > work anyway...

> LOL. XP is a really, really nice OS. Easily the best OS ever. Using it in a
> "modern" upscale network is a DREAM! I've over 150 PC's to administer, and i
> switched em all to XP Pro. Haven't had a seconds worth of trouble since.
> 24/7, 365.

FM-31 Missing System File

Post by Bob » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 06:18:29

no but i don't use my 8-track much.

> 150 PCs x $100 each or maybe $200 each.. that is a bundle to pay,
> what, $15,000 - $30,000 total, and what have you accomplished... not
> much except make  microsoft that much wealthier.

> do  you trade in your car every two years also?

> > run

> > > Hey, Bob, why should John/Breadbox patch XP? Don't you think that is a
> > > job for M$?  ;)  BTW - it's not worth the effort. XP is never gonna
> > > work anyway...

> > LOL. XP is a really, really nice OS. Easily the best OS ever. Using it
in a
> > "modern" upscale network is a DREAM! I've over 150 PC's to administer,
and i
> > switched em all to XP Pro. Haven't had a seconds worth of trouble since.
> > 24/7, 365.

FM-31 Missing System File

Post by Bob » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 06:19:51

actually we lease the pc's, and yes, i trade my car in every 2 - 3 years and
let folks like you hassle with the repairs :)

> 150 PCs x $100 each or maybe $200 each.. that is a bundle to pay,
> what, $15,000 - $30,000 total, and what have you accomplished... not
> much except make  microsoft that much wealthier.

> do  you trade in your car every two years also?

> > run

> > > Hey, Bob, why should John/Breadbox patch XP? Don't you think that is a
> > > job for M$?  ;)  BTW - it's not worth the effort. XP is never gonna
> > > work anyway...

> > LOL. XP is a really, really nice OS. Easily the best OS ever. Using it
in a
> > "modern" upscale network is a DREAM! I've over 150 PC's to administer,
and i
> > switched em all to XP Pro. Haven't had a seconds worth of trouble since.
> > 24/7, 365.

FM-31 Missing System File

Post by hyubs » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 11:20:25

that is fine as long as you have the money to blow..

if you lease the pcs, did they not already come with a version of
windows already  installed?

i thought you worked for a school..   aren't schools hard up for cash
these days?

> actually we lease the pc's, and yes, i trade my car in every 2 - 3 years and
> let folks like you hassle with the repairs :)

> > 150 PCs x $100 each or maybe $200 each.. that is a bundle to pay,
> > what, $15,000 - $30,000 total, and what have you accomplished... not
> > much except make  microsoft that much wealthier.

> > do  you trade in your car every two years also?

> > > run

> > > LOL. XP is a really, really nice OS. Easily the best OS ever. Using it
> in a
> > > "modern" upscale network is a DREAM! I've over 150 PC's to administer,
> and i
> > > switched em all to XP Pro. Haven't had a seconds worth of trouble since.
> > > 24/7, 365.

FM-31 Missing System File

Post by Bob » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 08:49:56

Quote:> if you lease the pcs, did they not already come with a version of
> windows already  installed?

They do come with an OS, but they also come with a restore disk and you can
choose from win98 - xp pro, as that's how the license's work ;)

Quote:> i thought you worked for a school..   aren't schools hard up for cash
> these days?

LOL! Schools hard up for cash!!!!???? LOL! At 12K for a 720 hour course we
is anythin' but hard up for cash!!! :)

FM-31 Missing System File

Post by Roger Bentso » Mon, 31 Mar 2003 02:07:52

> > >as john said, it is problematical at best. i have never gotten geos to
> run
> > >properly under xp.

> > >john, where's the xp patch dude??????? ;)

> > Hey, Bob, why should John/Breadbox patch XP? Don't you think that is a
> > job for M$?  ;)  BTW - it's not worth the effort. XP is never gonna
> > work anyway...

> LOL. XP is a really, really nice OS. Easily the best OS ever. Using it in
> "modern" upscale network is a DREAM! I've over 150 PC's to administer, and
> switched em all to XP Pro. Haven't had a seconds worth of trouble since.
> 24/7, 365.

I also think xp is the best windows version yet.  However, I have some
issues with it as do others.  Here is an interesting read -
http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit029.html .  This is very long but worth
reading, especially if you skip on down to the parts about xp and win2000
sp3.

I found a rather easy way to preserve BBX ensemble and also use xp.  I had
enough old parts to put together a DOS computer which has no compatibility
problems with either BBX or Win 3.x.  Then I bought a kvm switch which
allows both my old computer and my new one to share the same monitor,
keyboard and mouse.  Then by pressing a key combination I can switch back
and forth instantaneously.  Also, the old computer had a ethernet port so I
networked the two together to be able to share files.  The nice thing is
that whatever changes I make to the new computer, the old computer remains
untouched and always works.

Roger

1. Error message FM-31

What kind of problem does error message FM-31 indicate?  It says that a
required system file is missing but I don't know which one, or even if one
is missing.  This happens consistently with BB Ensemble under Win XP.  I
have tried reinstalling several times, but I always get this message -
although at one time I was not so I feel it has something to do with my
setup.  Anyway, I just thought it might help if this is a known problem that
has a known solution.
Roger

2. alias question

3. Error code FM-31 when running under WinXp

4. Lowest Prices On New & Used Games 5802

5. Error Code FM-31

6. Game Programmers Wanted

7. FM-31 error message

8. HP LaserJet History Needed

9. Q: value of cror 31,31,31

10. Info on BCH(31,21,2) and RS(31,23,5)

11. 2mpgsysXX.uue must be 31 parts, MPEG system stream !

12. INVITE 5/29-31: Unix System Admin References, Usability Study

13. Electronic Document Systems Conference Aug 29-31, Seattle Wa.