IBM's Microdrive

Post by Raymond Anco » Thu, 01 May 2003 09:02:10

Will the Microdrive work with the Zoomer or OmniGo via a PC Card adapter?

--
Ravin' Ray
your friendly neighborhood paleontologist

IBM's Microdrive

Post by Steve Evere » Thu, 01 May 2003 20:47:19

Ray,

I have an IBM 340Mb Microdrive which I use in the dedicated compact
flash card slot of my Psion 7. I also have an Omnigo 100 which I use
quite successfully with compact flash cards of various sizes in the
PCMCIA card slot of the Omnigo via a Type 1 adapter card.  However, if
you try to fit the Microdrive in the PCMCIA adapter card it won't go
because it is physically too thick. Basically the screws and cover on
the Microdrive casing foul the 'sleeve' casing of the adapter card.

I know a lot of the documentation says that the Omnigo 100 won't work
with compact flash cards (but strangely the 120 is supposed to), but
I've never had any problems whatsoever; I didn't even need to format
the flash cards on the omnigo - just put them in and they worked. So
far I've used an 8Mb Nikon CF right up to a 96Mb SanDisk CF, although
I tend to stick with the lower capacity cards as they are, in the
main, faster and GEOS stuff doesn't exactly needs loads of Mb anyway.
Battery life doesn't appear to be too much affected either.

Perhaps you could use a CF card instead ?

Best Regards,

Steve

Will the Microdrive work with the Zoomer or OmniGo via a PC Card
adapter?

IBM's Microdrive

Post by Douglas A. Tayl » Fri, 02 May 2003 04:00:56

Quote:>Will the Microdrive work with the Zoomer or OmniGo via a PC Card adapter?

I doubt it will work on the Zoomer.  The Z doesn't even work with a lot
of flash RAM cards.
--
   Doug Taylor                         |   Nothing real can be threatened.
   The Ohio State University           |   Nothing unreal exists.

IBM's Microdrive

Post by Jens-Michael Gros » Sat, 03 May 2003 03:57:09

Steve Everett schrieb:

Quote:> I know a lot of the documentation says that the Omnigo 100 won't work
> with compact flash cards (but strangely the 120 is supposed to), but
> I've never had any problems whatsoever;

The main problem is that the first 3.3V flash cards _needed_ 3.3V (the
older ones needed 5V), while RAM cards are quite happy with 2.4V and the
OmniGo has only 3.0V with primary cells and 2.4-2.5V with rechargeable
batteries.
Also, the flash write process needed a lot of power (but not for a long
time) which broke down the cells in the OmniGo even more, resulting in
faulty writes.
Newer Flash cards do work with 3.0V and do not need that much write
power anymore.
The Microdrive, however, is an HD. It requires a LOT of power compared
to SRAM or Flash cards. And even if it is happy with the 3.0V or less
the OmniGo provides, it will suck the batteries dry in relatively short
time.

Quote:> Battery life doesn't appear to be too much affected either.

CF cards do not need power if they aren't accessed and only minimum
power while being read, so if you don't write to it, it is lamost like
nothing.
The MicroDrive needs almost the same power for reading and writing and
also a lot for plain standby.
And the OmniGo 100 does not seem to deactivate the PC card slot when in
suspend mode, so teh card remains active (resulting in half battery life
with my SRAM card inserted comared to no card inside)

Grossibaer

--
Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
they are not.

1. vxworks and IBM's microdrive

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience with using the
IBM microdrive with vxworks?

I would like to know what the experience was
like and if there is any software available for it.

thanks,
-jagan.

2. Problems with Media Player 9 configuration

3. W2K & IBM microdrive

4. HP Scanner (4c)

5. just in case you mised it. IBM microdrive

6. dropdown form field resets to 1st value on submit

7. ibm microdrive

8. IBM Microdrive with PCMCIA Adapter Card

9. the IBM Microdrive

10. IBM 43P-260 & IBM's MPI

11. IBM's 'End to End' method/toolset what is it?