experience with geos (was Re: the Star runs once more)

Post by Russell Schul » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Geos was another early innovator, I believe it was released before
> Windows but forced to fold when Apple put the heat on it. I read in a
> CNET article that it's been resurrected. Anyone have any direct
> experience with it?

> http://www.cnet.com/Content/Reviews/Compare/AltOS/ss07.html

GEOS for the ][ (discontinued) and Commodore 64 (apparently still for
sale!) came along before MSW; GEOS for the PC I'm not so sure about.
for PDAs, definitely after.

(I have GEOS, but I don't follow the newsgroups; the last FAQ I have
is from 1995, and has

Archive-name: pcgeos-faq/part1

so it's probably at <http://www.faqs.org/faqs/pcgeos-faq/part1/>).
--

Post by Jens-Michael Gros » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> > Geos was another early innovator, I believe it was released before
> > Windows but forced to fold when Apple put the heat on it. I read in a
> > CNET article that it's been resurrected. Anyone have any direct
> > experience with it?

> > http://www.cnet.com/Content/Reviews/Compare/AltOS/ss07.html

> GEOS for the ][ (discontinued) and Commodore 64 (apparently still for
> sale!) came along before MSW; GEOS for the PC I'm not so sure about.
> for PDAs, definitely after.

GEOS for the C64 was out in (I think) 85. Latest official version from
Geoworks (former Berkeley Softworks) was 88.
But it is still continued by private programmers and sold by CMD
(Creative Micro Devices).
The GEOS for PC was out after Windoze but long before 3.1 was a success.
Most ideas (like true type fonts) are (badly) copied from GEOS to
Windoze.
GEOS for PDAs was out long before WINCE (Zoomer, PT9000, OmniGo...)

Grossibaer

1. ONCE AGAIN - AM I HERE?

Okay, everybody, let's see if I am here.  For the first time in weeks
there was some mail in the comp.os.geos.misc area of my local BBS.  Two
posts dated August 2, 1997!  So now I want to know if I am getting out
while waiting to see if more mail comes in.  If a couple of you (James?
Jens-Michael? Terri? Pensey? Anybody?) would post an acknowledgment that
this has been seen, I'd appreciate it.  Please put it in the newsgroup

That way I will know to watch for the newsgroup versions to arrive.  Thanks.

                                                       Anne Page

2. Help: CD-ROM Changer in Mounting Loop

3. Once more: experiences with bash?

4. Where is the SYSOP listing?

5. Difference between "Disk At Once" and "Track At Once" (CD-R)

6. Goal Seek option from Tools menu....(little urgent)

7. Button to stop macro once running

8. Signalinc phase coupler? Anyone tried yet

9. Orbix 3.0.1 once more - error 10425 when running a server

10. One way to reach Rom (Run Once)

11. Once again: running Plan 9 under VMWare, Bochs, Plex86 etc.

12. I am looking for an experience

13. Problems running a star