Connecting a Zoomer to an NDO98 PC

Post by John Curr » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to connect my Zoomer to my NDO98 pc and am not having any luck.
I have selected the appropriate port in Preferences, Connect on the PC.  I
have set up the File Linking preferences on the Zoomer.  I connect the cable
and run Connect on the PC and Connect, File Link on the Zoomer but they both
sit there with their "attempting to connect" message boxes up.  They never
connect.  Any idea where I might be going wrong?

Thanks

John

Connecting a Zoomer to an NDO98 PC

Post by Philippe Dallemagn » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi John,

just to make sure, there was a problem with NDO 2.5 for such a connection.
The cause was some missing lines in GEOS.INI. This is described in
http://www.ensem.u-nancy.fr/~pdallema/NDLNKBUG.TXT

These lines may be missing in your GEOS.INI.

For more information on the Zoomer in general, have a look at
http://grot.com/geos-to-go/
bye.

Philippe.

Post by Douglas A. Tayl » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

>I am trying to connect my Zoomer to my NDO98 pc and am not having any luck.
>I have selected the appropriate port in Preferences, Connect on the PC.  I
>have set up the File Linking preferences on the Zoomer.  I connect the cable
>and run Connect on the PC and Connect, File Link on the Zoomer but they both
>sit there with their "attempting to connect" message boxes up.  They never
>connect.  Any idea where I might be going wrong?

Is your cable a modem cable or a null-modem cable?  If you can use
your Zoomer cable to connect successfully to a modem, then you have
a modem cable.  The difference between the two is just that a couple
of wires have been switched around.  At one time I owned both a modem
cable and a null-modem cable for my Zoomer.  (I've since given away one
of them; I can never remember which.  :-)

If you have a modem cable, then I've got some bad news and some good
news for you.  The bad news is that you need a null-modem cable to
connect to your PC.  The good news is that all you need to convert
your cable into a null-modem cable is a cheap little thingie called
a null-modem adaptor.  It's just a couple of dollars at your local
computer or office supply store.  Or you could buy a standard null-modem
cable and plug it onto the end of your Zoomer cable.

Oh, and if you have a null-modem Zoomer cable, then a null-modem adaptor
will convert it into a regular modem cable, so you can use your Zoomer
with a modem.

Hope this helps.
--
   Doug Taylor                         |   Nothing real can be threatened.
   The Ohio State University           |   Nothing unreal exists.

Connecting a Zoomer to an NDO98 PC

Post by ND Ma » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I am trying to connect my Zoomer to my NDO98 pc and am not having any luck.
>I have selected the appropriate port in Preferences, Connect on the PC.  I
>have set up the File Linking preferences on the Zoomer.  I connect the cable
>and run Connect on the PC and Connect, File Link on the Zoomer but they both
>sit there with their "attempting to connect" message boxes up.  They never
>connect.  Any idea where I might be going wrong?

Where did you get the cable?
Are you sure it's a null modem cable? If it's not, you'll
need to add a null modem adapter.

Steve

-----
One only needs two tools in life:
WD-40 to make things go, and
duct tape to make them stop.
           -- G. Weilacher
-----

Connecting a Zoomer to an NDO98 PC

Post by John Curr » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for your replies.  Steve, I got the cable from you, (thanks again).
Can you tell me if it's a modem or null-modem cable?  In the meantime, I'll
check the goes.ini file.

>I am trying to connect my Zoomer to my NDO98 pc and am not having any luck.
>I have selected the appropriate port in Preferences, Connect on the PC.  I
>have set up the File Linking preferences on the Zoomer.  I connect the
cable
>and run Connect on the PC and Connect, File Link on the Zoomer but they
both
>sit there with their "attempting to connect" message boxes up.  They never
>connect.  Any idea where I might be going wrong?

>Thanks

>John

Connecting a Zoomer to an NDO98 PC

Post by John Curr » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

I checked the link you listed and my geos.ini file.  The file contains the
lines described in that link, so I guess that's not the problem.

Thanks anyway.

>Hi John,

>just to make sure, there was a problem with NDO 2.5 for such a connection.
>The cause was some missing lines in GEOS.INI. This is described in
>http://www.ensem.u-nancy.fr/~pdallema/NDLNKBUG.TXT

>These lines may be missing in your GEOS.INI.

>For more information on the Zoomer in general, have a look at
>http://grot.com/geos-to-go/
>bye.

>Philippe.

>> I am trying to connect my Zoomer to my NDO98 pc and am not having any
luck.
>> I have selected the appropriate port in Preferences, Connect on the PC.
>> have set up the File Linking preferences on the Zoomer.  I connect the
cable
>> and run Connect on the PC and Connect, File Link on the Zoomer but they
both
>> sit there with their "attempting to connect" message boxes up.  They
never
>> connect.  Any idea where I might be going wrong?

Connecting a Zoomer to an NDO98 PC

Post by ND Ma » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Thanks for your replies.  Steve, I got the cable from you, (thanks again).

I thought that might be the case.

Quote:>Can you tell me if it's a modem or null-modem cable?  In the meantime, I'll
>check the goes.ini file.

Yes, it is a standard cable. It is NOT a null-modem
cable. You need to obtain a
null-modem adapter (or a null modem cable).
You can get one at any electronics or computer
store for a very few dollars.

The cable I sent you will work, as is, for
connecting an external modem to the Zoomer.
For connecting to a PC, you need the null
modem adapter, which switches several of the
pins around. There's a tech doc about the
Connect feature on the NewDeal web site
that has a diagram of the pin swizzling in a
typical null-modem cable, though there are
several variations that appear to work..

If the lines in your INI file were missing, you
would get an error message instead of "trying to connect"

Steve

-----
One only needs two tools in life:
WD-40 to make things go, and
duct tape to make them stop.
           -- G. Weilacher
-----

Connecting a Zoomer to an NDO98 PC

Post by John Curr » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

OK.  I'll get an adapter or cable.  Thanks for you help.

John

>>Thanks for your replies.  Steve, I got the cable from you, (thanks again).

>I thought that might be the case.

>>Can you tell me if it's a modem or null-modem cable?  In the meantime,
I'll
>>check the goes.ini file.

>Yes, it is a standard cable. It is NOT a null-modem
>cable. You need to obtain a
>null-modem adapter (or a null modem cable).
>You can get one at any electronics or computer
>store for a very few dollars.

>The cable I sent you will work, as is, for
>connecting an external modem to the Zoomer.
>For connecting to a PC, you need the null
>modem adapter, which switches several of the
>pins around. There's a tech doc about the
>Connect feature on the NewDeal web site
>that has a diagram of the pin swizzling in a
>typical null-modem cable, though there are
>several variations that appear to work..

>If the lines in your INI file were missing, you
>would get an error message instead of "trying to connect"

>Steve

>-----
>One only needs two tools in life:
>WD-40 to make things go, and
>duct tape to make them stop.
>           -- G. Weilacher
>-----

1. Zoomer <-> NDO98 Link unreliable?!?

Hello All,

I am trying to link a Zoomer to NDO98 under Windows 98, running at 19.2K.
Link gets established without problem.  I can use the Zoomer to xfer files
to and from NDO without problem.  If I initiate the transfer of a large
file >100K from NDO the Zoomer locks up and I get a message saying the
link/connection has been broken.

Anyone have and solve this problem?

Many thanks, Arthur Tyde

2. Device Drivers

3. Palm Connect For The Zoomer (GEOS version)

4. P07 for Win95 and PO7 for NT on same machine.

5. Zoomer connectivity with PC

6. comp.os.msdos.programmer FAQ part 1/5

7. Connecting a Laptop to a pc without a pc monitor

8. *** BUY ALL MEMORY WORKING OR NOT ***

9. How to cable connect a PC under win3.11 and a PC under win95 ?

10. Connect 2 PC's to 1 scanner USB & Firewire???

11. Connecting Apple Color One scanner to PC's

12. Connect XBoX to PC Screen (Dell)

13. Can xbox connect to PC instead of TV