No Post in days

Post by Joseph Durha » Tue, 25 Mar 2003 10:50:22

Man the war has got everyone talking.

Woudln't it be something if a Breadbox development could evoke such  conversation.
It would be nice for a change:)

No Post in days

Post by hyubs » Tue, 25 Mar 2003 12:12:14

i still think gnu licensing geos would get a lot of talking in this
newsgroup .. mostly from new users...

> Man the war has got everyone talking.

> Woudln't it be something if a Breadbox development could evoke such  conversation.
> It would be nice for a change:)

No Post in days

Post by Bob » Wed, 26 Mar 2003 04:29:24

sadly there ain't a snowballs' chance in hell! ;) and yes it would be nice.
i wonder if PM GEOS, (32-bit GEOS), or whatever will when...if....or....

Quote:> Man the war has got everyone talking.

> Woudln't it be something if a Breadbox development could evoke such
conversation.
> It would be nice for a change:)

No Post in days

Post by Hans Voge » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 02:15:18

> i still think gnu licensing geos would get a lot of talking in this
> newsgroup .. mostly from new users...

Are you sure?

I just had a look at some DOS newsgroups (that's where Free DOS is being
discussed, amongst other DOSses).

<yawn...>

Nothing really exciting altho Free DOS is under GNU and really "free".

Yes, if there was an open source 32bit Geos -as Bob wrote in his posting-,
and if there was a chance of porting it to Linux...

Yes, if....

But even if Geos were open source which is not possible, as discussed a
zillion times earlier here, a hell lot of work would be involved.

All free stuff has to compete against proven software in the end.

As an example: Open Office "OOo".
That's a totally free office suite, IMHO as good as Microsoft's Office,
available for the Windows environment as well as for any Unix system.
But only a handful of users are using it!

To me it seems that the majority of computer users trust more in software
they have to pay for rather than a product they get FOC, without any "end
users license" etc.etc.

Reg's,

Hans.

No Post in days

Post by Bob » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 06:24:14

Quote:> As an example: Open Office "OOo".
> That's a totally free office suite, IMHO as good as Microsoft's Office,
> available for the Windows environment as well as for any Unix system.
> But only a handful of users are using it!

yeah i've used both versions and really find the product top quality!!! very
easy to use it under a MS Office workplace also :)

Quote:>Yes, if there was an open source 32bit Geos -as Bob wrote in his posting-,
>and if there was a chance of porting it to Linux...

32-bit, or pm geos or whatever has been on the table for years now. afaik,
bbx has it in process?? anyway, i think porting it to linux to be a bad
thingie.

Quote:> Reg's,

> Hans.

Bob

No Post in days

Post by hyubs » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 12:50:56

dos is not really useful, unlike geos.

dos leaves you at a dos prompt.. what do you do next?

marry any version of dos, preferrably free, with a gnu licensed geos and
you have an almost **immediately useful**, easily affordable, practical,
runas on just about any ibm clone alternative to win9x and winxx

geos is a currently cahrged for, licensed product..  why would it become
worthlees and less useful if made free?

would MS Windows be less useful if it was gnu licensed??