dreamweaver and geocities

Post by All » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 00:47:19

am just beginning to teach myself HTML and web design.Am currently
trying to learn the functions of Dreamweaver MX and also wish to use
geocities to upload my free web site (under 11MB). Is it possible to
develop a web page or site and then post it on geocities, or must i go
through the process of developing one through geocities itself. Any
help would be great!
Thanks

dreamweaver and geocities

Post by Holger La » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 01:46:17

Quote:>am just beginning to teach myself HTML and web design.Am currently
>trying to learn the functions of Dreamweaver MX and also wish to use
>geocities to upload my free web site (under 11MB). Is it possible to
>develop a web page or site and then post it on geocities, or must i go
>through the process of developing one through geocities itself. Any
>help would be great!

Of course you can upload your own files through the File Manager on
the Yahoo interface or you can pay the extra fee to use ftp.

However, this is a misunderstanding: GEOS has nothing to do whatsoever
with GeoCities. It is an operating system.

Try some Web related newsgroups for more advice.

Holger

dreamweaver and geocities

Post by Bob » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 04:40:51

Quote:> GEOS has nothing to do whatsoever
> with GeoCities. It is an operating system.
> Holger

It is an OS in so far as it requires an OS to boot the PC and handle memory
mgt. It is a parasitic OS in that one needs an OS to then run the GEOS
DOS-Based GUI. Much like Windows 3.1x back in 1994. Before you go on about
the 9x family it only uses its version of DOS to boot the OS. Once the
real-mode WIN.COM calls VMM32 in real-mode and VMM32 switches the CPU into
PM, the underpinnings of 16-bit real-mode are gone. Is GEOS an OS? Not in
the "true" sense. However for all intents, if you are running GEOS, then I'd
say, yes, GEOS is an OS.

dreamweaver and geocities

Post by Holger La » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 19:12:37

>> GEOS has nothing to do whatsoever
>> with GeoCities. It is an operating system.
>> Holger

>It is an OS in so far as it requires an OS to boot the PC and handle memory
>mgt. It is a parasitic OS in that one needs an OS to then run the GEOS
>DOS-Based GUI. Much like Windows 3.1x back in 1994. Before you go on about
>the 9x family it only uses its version of DOS to boot the OS. Once the
>real-mode WIN.COM calls VMM32 in real-mode and VMM32 switches the CPU into
>PM, the underpinnings of 16-bit real-mode are gone. Is GEOS an OS? Not in
>the "true" sense. However for all intents, if you are running GEOS, then I'd
>say, yes, GEOS is an OS.

Aw, for God's sake !!!

The poor guy was just mistaking GEOS for GeoCities. He's not
interested in these minute points that have been keeping us amused for
years.

Holger

dreamweaver and geocities

Post by Bob » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 03:54:07

> >> GEOS has nothing to do whatsoever
> >> with GeoCities. It is an operating system.
> >> Holger

> >It is an OS in so far as it requires an OS to boot the PC and handle
memory
> >mgt. It is a parasitic OS in that one needs an OS to then run the GEOS
> >DOS-Based GUI. Much like Windows 3.1x back in 1994. Before you go on
about
> >the 9x family it only uses its version of DOS to boot the OS. Once the
> >real-mode WIN.COM calls VMM32 in real-mode and VMM32 switches the CPU
into
> >PM, the underpinnings of 16-bit real-mode are gone. Is GEOS an OS? Not in
> >the "true" sense. However for all intents, if you are running GEOS, then
I'd
> >say, yes, GEOS is an OS.

> Aw, for God's sake !!!

> The poor guy was just mistaking GEOS for GeoCities. He's not
> interested in these minute points that have been keeping us amused for
> years.

> Holger

dreamweaver and geocities

Post by Jens-Michael Gros » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 21:10:18

Ally schrieb:

Quote:

> am just beginning to teach myself HTML and web design.Am currently
> trying to learn the functions of Dreamweaver MX

Are you learning HTML or Dreamweaver? If you want to learn HTML, just
use a plain text editor and a browser for checking the results.

YOu can develop a site locally. If you use plain HTML or JavaScript, it
works with any OS that has a browser. If you add PHP, Python, CGI or
SSI, then you'll need a system with a webserver that handles
HTTP-Requests and executes the scripts before the page is sent to the
browser.
Linux with Apache is a good base for this :) Of course this only applies
if the webserver you want to put the site on later supports these
features too.

Either way, you should check the result with a variety of browsers as
each one beaves different in so many ways.
Examples: IE5.x does not notice the change of a checkbox in a form, even
if it should execute a command on a change. Netscape does.
Konqueror does no refresh, while all others do.
Netscape chokes on bad table definitions (nesting, missing close tags),
where IE recovers and shows them as if all would be well.
The 'border' attribute of tables means yhe width of a borderline  in
Netscape, while it just means 2D or 3D border in IE (and 'bordersize' is
needed fior the width).
and, and, and.

I'm developing a PHP/MySQL based energy management system on a local
linux machine.
(well, I didn't touch my own website on the net for two years now too)

Grossibaer

--
Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
they are not.

1. Please Help - HP Scanjet 4c ands NT

I have a HP Scanjet 4c which I would like to connect to a Windows NT
machine - The machine keeps reporting that the scanner is not connected,
though the scsi driver recognises the device.
Any Ideas?
Many thanks

2. ANN: ``ICCA / ICGA Journal Database'' (Vol. 16 - Vol. 22)

3. dreamweaver

4. Logging

5. Silk and Dreamweaver

6. When an analog Centrex line goes digital...

7. Dreamweaver and Robot

8. The Internet Namespace Cooperative Root Sync Report Mon Nov 20 05:34:39 EST 2000

9. Dreamweaver Browser Target Compatibility

10. Dreamweaver????????

11. Design Time Controls and DreamWeaver

12. vim with dreamweaver