OS/2 Warp 3.0/4.0 and Geos 2.0/NDO 2.5 Link to Zoomer

OS/2 Warp 3.0/4.0 and Geos 2.0/NDO 2.5 Link to Zoomer

Post by Juha Santa » Fri, 13 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I am soon upgrading my system to be OS/2 compatible and I am using
Zoomer with my Ensemble 2.01. I want to know if this Link feature in
Geos 2.01/NDO 2.5 is working under OS/2? Any experiences?

Best wishes

Juha Santala

OS/2 Warp 3.0/4.0 and Geos 2.0/NDO 2.5 Link to Zoomer

Post by Stephen Haffl » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> Hi,

> I am soon upgrading my system to be OS/2 compatible and I am using
> Zoomer with my Ensemble 2.01. I want to know if this Link feature in
> Geos 2.01/NDO 2.5 is working under OS/2? Any experiences?

I have used the link function between a desktop and a laptop.  I do
use the SIO drivers instead of the standard IBM comm drivers though,
so it might make a difference.  I have the SIO_Virtualize_16550 as
well as SIO_Virtualize_COM_Ports set to OFF.  That way, the link
function has as direct an access as possible.  I haven't had high
speed transfers since the laptop is limited, but it has worked.

It is worth a try even if you use the standard comm drivers.  Let us
know how it turns out.

Stephen
Team OS/2   Team GEOS  OS/2 and Geoworks - What a combo!

OS/2 Warp 3.0/4.0 and Geos 2.0/NDO 2.5 Link to Zoomer

Post by Pyms » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi Juha,

I think it should work if you respect what is said in the following support
document (211) from New Deal, which says :

<<<<<
211

OS/2
Using New Deal Office 97 under OS/2 version 2.x
To run New Deal Office 97 under OS/2 version 2.x

1.Run New Deal Office 97 in a regular full-screen DOS box, not a box that
boots a specific version of DOS. In other words, the DOS_STARTUP_DRIVE
setting on the session page should be clear. 2.Increase the number of
DOS_FILES available to that DOS box to at least 80. 3.Make sure the
HW_TIMER setting is on. 4.All other values can be left at their defaults.

No special installation of New Deal Office 97 is necessary. You must be
using FAT disk access; New Deal Office 97 will not function using HSDA file
management.

"SYS Error 0005. Access Denied"

You may get this error while installing under OS/2, because OS/2 thinks
there is an extended attribute set for all of the files on the installation
disks.

To change this extended attribute:

1.Use the DISKCOPY command to copy each New Deal Office 97 installation
disk to a diskette that is not write protected. 2.Run CHKDSK /f on each
diskette. OS/2 will correct what it thinks is an extended attribute error
on every single file.

Serial (COM) Port Issues
In OS/2's PROGRAM PARAMETERS, set DIRECT_COM_ACCESS to ON.

Printing or Parallel Port Issues
Run Preferences in NewManager. Select the Computer module and be sure the
LPT port is set to "7" (not BIOS or DOS).

Support Limitations
Please note that we cannot provide you with OS/2 support beyond the
information contained in this document. However, you should have no
problems running New Deal Office 97 under OS/2 using the settings above.
The following suggestions from our customers have not been verified or
tested by New Deal.

User Tips
Differences in hardware and software configurations from one computer to
another can require different settings. Because OS/2 offers a wide variety
of configurations, we cannot guarantee any of these settings will work for
you. However, some of our customers recommend the settings below.

One customer reports increased performance when using the following
parameters:

?Removed "%" from PROGRAM, PARAMETERS ?Added C:\NEWDEAL to working
directory ?Set HW_ROM_to_RAM OFF

Another customer reports best performance with these parameters:

?COM_HOLD Off ?COM_RECEIVE_BUFFER_FLUSH None ?COM_SELECT All
?DOS_BACKGROUND_EXECUTION On ?INT_DURING_IO On ?PRINT_SEPARATE_OUTPUT On
?PRINT_TIMEOUT 15 ?PROGRAM, PARAMETERS % ?PRINTER SETTINGS, QUEUE OPTIONS
"PRINT WHILE SPOOLING" selected ?IDLE SENSITIVITY 100

A third customer recommends these settings:

?VIDEO_8154A_XGA_IOTRAP Off ?XMS_MEMORY_LIMIT 1024 (or the amount of RAM in
Kbytes that you want New Deal Office 97 to use)

note the paragraph about the serial ports setting in OS/2. Remember also to
add the following line (if they are missing) in your GEOS.INI in NDO 2.5 :

[netLibrary]
domainName = /COMM
initDrivers = COMM.GEO

bye.

--
bye.

Quote:> Hi,

> I am soon upgrading my system to be OS/2 compatible and I am using
> Zoomer with my Ensemble 2.01. I want to know if this Link feature in
> Geos 2.01/NDO 2.5 is working under OS/2? Any experiences?

> Best wishes

> Juha Santala

1. WANTED: Kerberos For OS/2 Warp & Warp Connect?

2. converting BSTR to char* and back

3. Problem with OS/2 Warp 4.0 and C-kermit

4. 2.1.3b4 problems

5. NDO 3.0 OS Question

6. pws permission

7. AD> Test Now 2.0 -- Add-on Tool for MS Test 3.0 and Visual Test 4.0

8. Link SW for Casio Z-7000 w/ GEOS 2.0

9. NDO 2.5 video problem & new AGP motherboard

10. Canon BJC-250 For NDO 2.5

11. Geos 2.0 inside an OS/2 session LOCKUP