How about an interim release

Post by Marco106 » Fri, 02 May 2003 06:39:33

this is really addressed to John Howard, and the wiz kids at Breadbox.

I would gladly pay for a release of NDO2000 on a CD that would install directly
on a windows, nt, 2000, or xp systems. Without all the changes that have to be
made to the Windows config. and sys. files and the Geos.ini file. I've had to
reinstall NDO several times when windoze crashed requiring a complete reformat
of the hard drive...

Or does this request require a major rewrite, not feasable at this time.

With all the new hi speed intel systems now packaged with the newer windows
iterations, marketing NDO as an office system would make NDO an attractive
alternate to Windows Office and open the market to a large number of newer
computers.

Marc

How about an interim release

Post by Bob » Fri, 02 May 2003 07:52:04

of what advantage to BBX is this? they need to make $$$$'s.

Quote:> this is really addressed to John Howard, and the wiz kids at Breadbox.

> I would gladly pay for a release of NDO2000 on a CD that would install
directly
> on a windows, nt, 2000, or xp systems. Without all the changes that have
to be
> made to the Windows config. and sys. files and the Geos.ini file. I've had
> reinstall NDO several times when windoze crashed requiring a complete
reformat
> of the hard drive...

> Or does this request require a major rewrite, not feasable at this time.

> With all the new hi speed intel systems now packaged with the newer
windows
> iterations, marketing NDO as an office system would make NDO an attractive
> alternate to Windows Office and open the market to a large number of newer
> computers.

> Marc

How about an interim release

Post by Pat » Fri, 02 May 2003 23:45:50

Ahhhhhh, more evidence of people unwilling to accept the boundaries of
harware and software. This reminds me of the fairy-tale about Cinderella's
wicked sister who got * with her big toes whilst trying to fit into
Cinderela's glass slipper.

What does this teach us?

IF IT DOESN'T FIT, ITS WRONG. DON'T RY TO MUCK IT UP TRYING!!!!

And you don't need to be a wiz to figure that one out. ROTFL!!!

Post by Holger La » Sat, 03 May 2003 01:24:03

Quote:>this is really addressed to John Howard, and the wiz kids at Breadbox.

>I would gladly pay for a release of NDO2000 on a CD that would install directly
>on a windows, nt, 2000, or xp systems. Without all the changes that have to be
>made to the Windows config. and sys. files and the Geos.ini file. I've had to
>reinstall NDO several times when windoze crashed requiring a complete reformat
>of the hard drive...

>Or does this request require a major rewrite, not feasable at this time.

I don't think so. All it needs is some adjustment to the install
routine, similar to the localised INI versions that are currently
included.

However, under NT and related systems, there is a serious problem with
mouse and keyboard response which makes NDO nearly unusable.

Holger

How about an interim release

Post by John Howar » Sat, 03 May 2003 02:00:26

Hi Marc,

First off - to set the record straight, we're selling NDO2000 (v4.16) shrink
wrapped as we got it from the liquidator who bought it from ND's GreenPC
subsidiary.  We are not going to be doing anything with it.  And when the last
of our inventory is gone that'll be it.

As for a smarter install of Ensemble (detecting the OS and making the various
.ini and .bat file adjustments automagically)...  We've discussed that in house,
but since selling single retail copies isn't our primary market, adding that
capability to the installer is a low priority.

John ;-)

Post by Marco106 » Sat, 03 May 2003 02:44:44

First off - to set the record straight, we're selling NDO2000 (v4.16) shrink
wrapped as we got it from the liquidator who bought it from ND's GreenPC
subsidiary.  We are not going to be doing anything with it.  And when the last
of our inventory is gone that'll be it.

John  (Howard)

That pretty says it all......    :-(

Maybe Holgar and the English company that bought some rights to the property
can have some influence in prolonging geos/ndo's life and can gain some control
of its future.

I still think it's a viable office suite for individual and small business use,
and a damn easy operating system.

Marc

How about an interim release

Post by Jens-Michael Gros » Sat, 03 May 2003 04:01:03

John Howard schrieb:

Quote:> First off - to set the record straight, we're selling NDO2000 (v4.16) shrink
> wrapped as we got it from the liquidator who bought it from ND's GreenPC
> subsidiary.  We are not going to be doing anything with it.  And when the last
> of our inventory is gone that'll be it.

I'd say this applies to BBE as well :)

Quote:> As for a smarter install of Ensemble (detecting the OS and making the various
> .ini and .bat file adjustments automagically)...  We've discussed that in house,
> but since selling single retail copies isn't our primary market, adding that
> capability to the installer is a low priority.

Maybe this could be an additional value for your resellers too? THEY
definitely do not want to bother with their customers about INI changes
to make the software run under NT etc. A smart installer would allow
THEM to sell to more people nd reduce the risk of support requests -
making the whole product more valuable for them and therefore raising
the chance of profit for Breadbox :)

Grossibaer

--
Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
they are not.

How about an interim release

Post by John Howar » Sat, 03 May 2003 05:09:31

Hi Marc,

I'm not sure what mean when you talk about an English company that bought some
rights to the "property".  As far as I know, Breadbox is the only company in the
Geos business.

But remember - the demise of NDO is NOT the end of the Geos world.  Breadbox is
still selling Ensemble 4.x.  Our main market is the educational multi-license
market, but a few of our distributors are selling it retail on the web.

We agree that Geos/Ensemble provides a terrific solution in many computing
environments :-)  And we plan to continue providing Geos!  Stay tuned...

John ;-)

> First off - to set the record straight, we're selling NDO2000 (v4.16) shrink
> wrapped as we got it from the liquidator who bought it from ND's GreenPC
> subsidiary.  We are not going to be doing anything with it.  And when the last
> of our inventory is gone that'll be it.

> John  (Howard)

> That pretty says it all......    :-(

> Maybe Holgar and the English company that bought some rights to the property
> can have some influence in prolonging geos/ndo's life and can gain some control
> of its future.

> I still think it's a viable office suite for individual and small business use,
> and a damn easy operating system.

> Marc

How about an interim release

Post by Marco106 » Sat, 03 May 2003 09:27:03

writes:

Quote:

>I'm not sure what mean when you talk about an English company that bought
>some
>rights to the "property".

I thought I saw a message in this newsgroup about a month or more ago that
mentioned an English company that had purchased some sort of distribution
rights to esther geoworks or newdeal.   Maybe it's one of Breadboxes
distributors... Sorry to scare you John.

Marc

How about an interim release

Post by Jens-Michael Gros » Sat, 03 May 2003 22:01:44

Jens-Michael Gross schrieb:

Quote:

> John Howard schrieb:

> > First off - to set the record straight, we're selling NDO2000 (v4.16) shrink
> > wrapped as we got it from the liquidator who bought it from ND's GreenPC
> > subsidiary.  We are not going to be doing anything with it.  And when the last
> > of our inventory is gone that'll be it.

> I'd say this applies to BBE as well :)

I meant that a smarter installer would be good for BBE as it would be
for NDO2k - and not that you're not doing anything on it :)

Grossibaer

--
Take a class. Read a book. Don't expect computers to be simple, because
they are not.

How about an interim release

Post by John Howar » Sun, 04 May 2003 00:48:00

Hehehe - that must be it... our UK distributor.

John ;-)

> writes:

>>I'm not sure what mean when you talk about an English company that bought
>>some
>>rights to the "property".

> I thought I saw a message in this newsgroup about a month or more ago that
> mentioned an English company that had purchased some sort of distribution
> rights to esther geoworks or newdeal.   Maybe it's one of Breadboxes
> distributors... Sorry to scare you John.

> Marc

How about an interim release

Post by Marco106 » Sun, 04 May 2003 10:48:48

 John Howard

the following re: Teleca, Is this the English company I was refering to in my
earlier post. Is that one of your distributors?? I guess the're out of
contention now.

Marc

Geoworks Ceasing UK Operations
Monday, Febuary 3, 2003 06:23 PM ET  Printer-friendly version

Teleca Offers Employment to All UK Employees
EMERYVILLE, Calif., Feb. 3 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Geoworks Corporation (OTC
Bulletin Board: GWRX, news) announced today that it is ceasing its UK
operations. In efforts to minimize its liabilities and to satisfy its
outstanding obligations, the company entered into a mutual release agreement
with Teleca Ltd. that allows Teleca to hire the company's former employees and
do business with the company's customers. In consideration of this release,
Teleca has agreed to pay the company approximately $500,000. Also, Teleca
separately agreed to assume Geoworks UK subsidiary's remaining facilities lease
obligations in exchange for use of the subsidiary's equipment.

    (Photo:  http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20010124/GWRXLOGO )

"We had planned to sell our UK subsidiary and its professional services
business to Teleca pursuant to our September share transfer agreement, but our
efforts to get required shareholder approval failed because we were unable to
obtain a quorum for the special shareholders meeting, despite an extensive
proxy solicitation process and an 8 to 1 favorable shareholder vote," noted Tim
Toppin, Vice President and Chief Financial Officer.

Toppin further explained, "Geoworks' weak financial position has made it
increasingly difficult to maintain a viable ongoing business in the UK. This
action is necessary in order to satisfy our legal obligations to our employees,
our creditors and our primary customer. As a result, we expect to be able to
minimize significant liabilities for legally required employee severance
payments and for our UK subsidiary's long-term facilities lease, which we
estimated to total over $700,000. Although no intellectual property or customer
contracts are being assigned, we have encouraged our customers to work with
Teleca to satisfy all of our outstanding service obligations."

    About Geoworks

Geoworks Corporation has been a provider of leading-edge software design and
engineering services to the mobile and handheld device industry. Based in
Emeryville, California, the Company has maintained a European development
center in the United Kingdom prior to this announcement. Additional information
about Geoworks can be found on the World Wide Web at http://www.geoworks.com .

Forward-looking statements in this press release are made pursuant to the safe
harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995.
These forward-looking statements are subject to various risks and uncertainties
that could cause actual results to differ materially from historical results or
those anticipated or stated or implied by such forward-looking statements. For
example, the transactions described above may not minimize the company's
liabilities or satisfy its obligations to the extent expected for various
reasons. These risks and uncertainties are further described in Geoworks'
periodic filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its
Proxy Statement for the Special Meeting of Stockholders on December 11, 2002,
which was adjourned until January 8, 2003 and later canceled for failure to
achieve a quorum. Geoworks is a trademark of Geoworks Corporation.

SOURCE Geoworks Corporation

CONTACT: Tim Toppin of Geoworks Corporation, +1-510-428-3900, or

How about an interim release

Post by John Howar » Sun, 04 May 2003 13:39:04

Marc,

To the best of my knowledge, the UK Geoworks folks did not do any Geos
programming.  I think they were involved in some of the other stuff that
Geoworks was involved in after they essentially abandoned Geos.

John ;-)

> [...]

> These forward-looking statements are subject to various risks and uncertainties
> that could cause actual results to differ materially from historical results or
> those anticipated or stated or implied by such forward-looking statements. For
> example, the transactions described above may not minimize the company's
> liabilities or satisfy its obligations to the extent expected for various
> reasons. These risks and uncertainties are further described in Geoworks'
> periodic filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its
> Proxy Statement for the Special Meeting of Stockholders on December 11, 2002,
> which was adjourned until January 8, 2003 and later canceled for failure to
> achieve a quorum. Geoworks is a trademark of Geoworks Corporation.

> SOURCE Geoworks Corporation

> CONTACT: Tim Toppin of Geoworks Corporation, +1-510-428-3900, or

Post by Hans Lindgre » Sun, 04 May 2003 15:46:15

Hehehe.....Teleca is a swedish company, I was a bit surprised that they
were working with Geoworks, but otoh......they were both in the cellular
phone business......

BR,
Hans

Post by RCantre » Sat, 10 May 2003 00:43:53

Quote:Laux) writes:
>However, under NT and related systems, there is a serious problem with
>mouse and keyboard response which makes NDO nearly unusable.

I am currently using both 3.2 and 4.20 on an XP Pro machine with no keyboard or
mouse problems. There are some intermittent loading problems which I generally
avoid by leaving it loaded and using alt + tab to switch back to Windows.

Dick