Geoworks desktop 2.0 vs geoworks ensemble 2.0

Post by William Tanksl » Mon, 01 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>Hi all,
>I have both geoworks desktop 2.0 and geoworks ensemble 2.0 what is the
>difference betweene the two versions??

They're the same version (IIRC), but Ensemble contains everything that
Desktop contains, and much more.  Stick with Ensemble.

Quote:>Thanks for telling me about the spreadsheet (geocalc), I was told it
>was quattropro so was looking for somthing of that sort.  Oh well,
>have finally found it now, and geofile (database).

Yes, those are in Ensemble.

Quote:>I think I will start using this instead of my gem system, only thing
>is that I haven't got a publisher program - was there ever one for
>geos??

Well, most of us use GeoWrite -- what are you thinking of doing?  There are
some things in the publishing arena that it has a hard time with (such as
"continued on page seven"), but by and large it works well for DTP.

Quote:>Sincerely,

--
-William "Billy" Tanksley
"But you shall not escape my iambics."

Post by GUI U » Tue, 02 Mar 1999 04:00:00

***I think I will start using this instead of my gem system, only thing
is that I haven't got a publisher program - was there ever one for
geos??***

Publishing is easily achieved either with NewDRAW or NewWRITE.

Chip Blank
GeoGrafix
GUI
Visit the Geos Users International web site at
http://members.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

Post by SeaDick » Tue, 02 Mar 1999 04:00:00

<<<Publishing is easily achieved either with NewDRAW or NewWRITE.

     It sure is easy,  take it from someone who has purchased publishing
programs.  The only real drawback is in the area of printing.  New Deal cannot
render photos properly so if you need to print quality documents with photos
included you need to use a windows compatible program.

Paul
"If you like bells and whistles use Windows 95/98,  if you want to get the job
done without spending a fortune, try New Deal Office." <www.newdealinc.com>

Post by Aslan & Dynch » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>>Thanks for telling me about the spreadsheet (geocalc), I was told it
>>was quattropro so was looking for somthing of that sort.  Oh well,
>>have finally found it now, and geofile (database).

Quattro PRO SE v1.0 came with GeoWorks Ensemble v1.2 Upgrade (if you
ordered it from GeoWorks). It also came with a Quattro PRO Viewer so
you could view your Spreadsheet under GEOS. This viewer also had the
ability to launch Quattro PRO with the choosen spread sheet so you
could edit.

This was drop when v2.0 came out because it came with a GEOS native
Spreadsheet App.

Any thing that can go wrong WILL go wrong.
(Murphy)

Childern
(Proof of Murphy's Law)

;)

Geoworks desktop 2.0 vs geoworks ensemble 2.0

Post by ND Mar » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I have quattropro for dos, but not for geos.  The version I have is
>dated 1989 I think.  Could anyone send me the quattropro discs that
>they got with geoworks??

Only Geoworks PRO came with Quattro SE.  Ensemble 1.2 did NOT come with Quattro
or the spreadsheet viewer.

I suggest you upgrade to the latest version of NewDeal, Andrew, to get a native
spreadsheet and  database as well as an array of other new utilities and
applications
Mark-

http://www.newdealinc.com

Geoworks desktop 2.0 vs geoworks ensemble 2.0

Post by ND Ma » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I have geoworks ensemble 1.2, but quattropro did not come with the
>said version.

>I have quattropro for dos, but not for geos.  The version I have is
>dated 1989 I think.

Geoworks Ensemble 1.0 was released in Nov
1990.

Geoworks Ensemble 1.2 was an upgrade
released in June or July of 1991, and was
distributed to registered owners of Ensemble
1.0 for free at that time.

Geoworks Pro was released in December
1991 and was the only product that included
Quattro Pro SE. It was a "pay for" upgrade
for owners of previous versions, and it was
also offered as a full retail package. It was
available with or without Quattro Pro SE for
those customers who felt they didn't need a
spreadsheet. The Quattro Pro SE spreadsheet
was a DOS-based package that was bundled
with Geoworks Pro. If I recall correctly, the
SE version of Quattro Pro was based on their
version 2.3 for DOS, though the SE meant it
was a slightly slimmed down version compared
to their normal 2.3 version. Borland sold
Quattro Pro SE in the stores by itself for
around $60 at that time.

Personal Office Series was introduced in
the spring or summer of 1992 and Quick Start
in September of 1992.

Ensemble 2.0 was introduced in May 1993.

Steve

Geoworks desktop 2.0 vs geoworks ensemble 2.0

Post by ND Ma » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I only have geodraw/geowrite - will that do basicly the same thing??
>I was told that there was a geopublisher avalable.

To my knowledge, there's never been a
product named GeoPublisher.

GeoPublish was the shareware version of
Geoworks Ensemble, introduced by
Geoworks in 1994. It was basically the same
system software as Ensemble, but included
only GeoWrite, GeoManager, Text File
Editor, and Scrapbook.... while the full
Ensemble package also included GeoCalc,
GeoDex, GeoPlanner, GeoFile, GeoDraw,
and so forth.

Steve

Post by William Tanksl » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>>Publishing is easily achieved either with NewDRAW or NewWRITE.
>>Chip Blank
>I only have geodraw/geowrite - will that do basicly the same thing??

Yes.  Minor differences, same idea.

Quote:>I was told that there was a geopublisher avalable.

GeoPublish is a shareware version of GeoWrite.

Quote:>Sincerely,

--

Post by C BLANK » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

***I have geoworks ensemble 1.2, but quattropro did not come with the
said version.

I have quattropro for dos, but not for geos.  The version I have is
dated 1989 I think.  Could anyone send me the quattropro discs that
they got with geoworks??
***

You need Quattro Pro SE if you are using the 1.2 PRO version that has the
reader. SE is a DOS program as is your full Quattro Pro. They do not work
directly in Geos. What Geos PRO 1.2 does is merely read the worksheets. You
can't manipulate or work the spreadsheet from within Geos. To work the
spreadsheet within GEOS/NDO you should get the new NDO'98 release 3, if you
have a 286 or better.

Chip Blank
GeoGrafix
GUI
Visit the Geos Users International web site at
http://members.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

Geoworks desktop 2.0 vs geoworks ensemble 2.0

Post by C BLANK » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

GeoDRAW 2.0 and NewDRAW are pretty much similar, as is GeoWRITE 2.0 and
NewWRITE. The PUBLISHER package is only a shareware version for trial with a
weaker version of NewWRITE in it.

If you have GeoDRAW and GeoWRITE 1.2 or PRO versions, NewDRAW and NewWRITE 3.0
are vastly superior.

Chip Blank
GeoGrafix
GUI
Visit the Geos Users International web site at
http://members.aol.com/GUIUSA/GUI_USA.html

Geoworks desktop 2.0 vs geoworks ensemble 2.0

Post by SeaDick » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Steve Wrote

[...]

     I was introduced to Geoworks back in 1991 when I purchased a Laser
computer with Geoworks Ensemble 1.2 pre-installed as the OS.  Imagine, buying a
computer today off the shelf with something other than Windows on it...  :-)

     Later I purchased Geoworks Pro with Quatro Pro and rememember the
dissappointment of only being able to read the spreadsheet thru the Spreadsheet
Viewer.  I still have Pro stashed away somewhere but it is on 5.25 disks and
its way to much of a bother to try to set it up again.

     Finally around April-May 1993 I recieved about 3 or 4 "We have created a
monster" Cards Promoting Ensemble 2.0  I still have one of the cards because I
was amazed at how well the card was set up with so much information. I orders
2.0 immediatly and have been in love with Geos ever since.  My only real
dissappointment was with Calc and no locking titles.  Thank our lucky stars
that New Deal came along and saved us.  (And special thanks for the locking
titles).

     New Deal is back and if RSI has really sold as many site licences in
Canada as was quoted here last week, then it should be around for a long
time....

     Buy it now....

Paul
"If you like bells and whistles use Windows 95/98,  if you want to get the job
done without spending a fortune, try New Deal Office." <www.newdealinc.com>

Geoworks desktop 2.0 vs geoworks ensemble 2.0

Post by ND Ma » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I have geoworks ensemble 2.0, with geocalc - a spreadsheet
>application.  I want to be able to use quattro pro c with the geos
>spreadsheet reader, how can I get this program?

The Spreadsheet Viewer was a stop-gap measure provided for Geos 1.2.8
so that customers could use see spreadsheet data from Quattro Pro or Lotus123
spreadsheets and copy/paste that data into their Geos 1.2.8 documents.

When Geoworks 2.0 was released, it contained a native spreadsheet
application (GeoCalc)  with the ability to import spreadsheets from DOS-based
spreadsheet programs. Therefore, there was no reason to upgrade the
Spreadsheet Viewer to version 2.0 nor to include it in the package. In short,
the Spreadsheet Viewer is a Geos 1.2.8 application only. It will not work with
newer versions of Geos (2.0 or higher).

Steve

Post by Raymond Anco » Sat, 06 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>      I was introduced to Geoworks back in 1991 when I purchased a Laser
> computer with Geoworks Ensemble 1.2 pre-installed as the OS.  Imagine, buying a
> computer today off the shelf with something other than Windows on it...  :-)

Well, if U don't like it, join the legions who are demanding a refund
from Microsoft... everyone here is familiar about that movement, right?

Quote:>      Later I purchased Geoworks Pro with Quatro Pro and rememember the
> dissappointment of only being able to read the spreadsheet thru the Spreadsheet
> Viewer.  I still have Pro stashed away somewhere but it is on 5.25 disks and
> its way to much of a bother to try to set it up again.

If you have absolutely no need for either Ensemble or Pro 1.2, you might
consider giving them away or auctioning them at eBay. It surprises me
that people still cajole to snag a copy of Geoworks 1.x from eBay.

--
Ravin' Ray
your friendly neighborhood paleontologist

Geoworks desktop 2.0 vs geoworks ensemble 2.0

Post by ND Mar » Sat, 06 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>It was designed for ensemble 2.0, but could not be installed in same
>directory as ensemble, as it is another application which just uses
>the geos part.

GeoPublish is a *subset* of the full desktop version of the software. If you
already have Ensemble 2.0 or NewDeal installed you have absolutely NO need to
have GeoPublish.

Mark-

http://www.newdealinc.com

Geoworks desktop 2.0 vs geoworks ensemble 2.0

Post by 45 Mike Anderso » Sun, 07 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi Mike, and Andrew.

I actually saw a package in a retail store labeled:

"Publisher"

Produced and distributed by GeoWorks

This was not GeoPublish, the shareware version, it was a subset of
Ensemble 2.0 that seemed to include basically the same apps as
GeoPublish, (the shareware), however it was a retail package without any
shareware restrictions or notices.

I almost bought it and another package and I cannot recall the name of
right now, but it also was a subset of Ensemble 2.0, and included
GeoDraw, instead of GeoWrite. Ahhh, I do recall now the name of the
package was "Designer"

And there was another package also, named "Desktop" that was a very bare
version and included not much more than GeoManager. Which was likely
missing from the other two packages.

In any case you are correct Mike, each of these packages was a subset of
Ensemble 2.0, and if Andrew has Ensemble 2.X, he has no need for any
other package unless he wishes to upgrade to NDO V3.0

If Andrew has V 1.2.8 he should also have Quattro Pro SE, if he does not
then he will not be able to use the viewer. (unless the viewer allows
viewing of a different version of Quattro).

And again, If you have ensemble 2.0, you have a spreadsheet and have no
need of a viewer, or quattro. (unless geocalc will not perform the
functions you need)
As was posted earlier, the Viewer in V1.2.X will *not* work in any
version of V2.X or later.

nuff said?

If not please visit us in the BBX Chatroom 9PM-11PM
tbcMike

> Andrew:

> You're confused between two versions of our platform; please let me see if I
> can straighten it out for you.

 <snip>

Quote:

> GeoPUBLISH (not "publisher") is a SHAREWARE "cut out" of the full Geoworks
> Ensemble 2.0 package.

<snip>
Quote:> Settummanque!

> settummanque, the blackeagle ((MAJ) Mike Walton)

1. Geoworks Ensemble 1.0 & 2.0

HI All,
   i have been on the Geos groups for sometime now trying to figure
out how to run geoworks ensemble. well, i just wanted to let everyone
know i did it. i purchased a copy of Virtual pc and loaded both
versions of ensemble and did some tweaking and poof it worked. now i
can rest easy. one question though, does anyone know wher i can get
some geoworks or geos icons to use instead of the msdos shortcut.

thanks to everyone who helped me out.
Brad

2. FS: SGI Indigo2 Extreme

3. lookng for Geoworks Ensemble 2.0

4. Theoretical Limits of OS2

5. WTB: Geoworks Ensemble 2.0

6. FS SGI O2...CHEAP!!!

7. Mouse Pointer Freezes - Geoworks Ensemble 2.0

8. HP CD-Writer 9310i

9. Can I use sound in geoworks ensemble 2.0/ndo 98?

10. Geoworks ensemble 2.0 ?

11. No Mouse Geoworks - but less than 2.0?

12. FS: GeoWorks Pro/E 2.0/ more...

13. GeoWorks Vers. 2.0 and HP DeskJet 720C